• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

BD Vs HD-DVD

Which is better?

• I own a BD player.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I own an HD-DVD player.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own BOTH formats!

• I hate them all.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be BD.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be HD-DVD.

• I don't own an HD format, I'm waiting to see which prevails.

• I don't own either but I'd probably buy both when the time comes.

• I'm an undecided patron.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
It's because consumers literally buy new stuff every year or so. Why do you think iPods dies within two years? Because the people who buy them get a brand new one every time they relaunch! We're getting to the point where technology is moving too fast and everything gets outdated by 3 weeks.

As far as the format war so far, I'm impartial. My brother owns a PS3 and I have to say, the Blu-Ray movies look spectacular so far. We did a comparison with our copies of 300 and the Blu-Ray edition blows the DVD out of the water. I noticed pixelation on one movie so far (during the opening of Basic Instinct) and everything else looked great so far. I do remember seeing a Blu-Ray demo at a Circuit City a year or so ago that looked horrible, but that's the only bad thing I've seen from the format so far.

I own one Blu-Ray movie, Mad Max 2. It's fucking sweet. Brand spanking new transfer, too.

I've seen demos, I've viewed clips and I can say with all honesty:

The "high def" discs will go the way of Laserdisc.

Part of what made the switch from VHS to DVD so compelling was the clarity. And some out there may beat me over the head with comparisons and charts and graphs and screenshots and tech specs and whatever else AND the kitchen sink can offer in favor of "high def" but hey....

I want to watch a MOVIE, I watch a movie. Give me a proper aspect ratio and a choice of original release and whatever alternative cut offered by the people involved and I'm fine. Extras are nice, but not necessary IF it's the right film.

I own several different versions of the original TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE and I'll be damned if it doesn't look scarier on VHS than DVD. It's all to easy to clean to perfection so it's pristine. Shit, if I wanted that I'd move to Skywalker Ranch where I could have a continuous loop of various Lucas interviews explaining the processes he put the original Star Wars through to make it the "proper" versions we got on the 2004 DVDs. I think it compares to someone who is addicted to plastic surgery who started with a wart removal and ended up looking as plastic as their Barbie doll sitting at home.

And movie studios...take note; your business in the theaters is not only being robbed by the gaming industry but it's also being robbed by home theater systems that offer better clairty for both audio and picture quality. Did you have to jack up ticket prices so hard in the 80's with regular VHS? I noticed the sharpest rise in ticket prices occuring AFTER it was obvious DVD was offering better than theaters. You are cannibalizing your own box office and ruining the theater experience for everyone out there who still loves to sit down and watch a film in a theater. Who wants to pay such high prices for a ticket when it's about 4 months from theatrical to DVD and about 2-3months later you can get a fully packed DVD (or even barebones...again, depends on the film) for a fraction of the ticket cost.

Quit while your ahead. Leave films in the theaters longer, let the ticket prices drop back down. Watch the profits for the great films go back up. Theater owners; invest in a signal jammer that blocks cell phone reception within the actual area of the theater where you watch the film. Have a strict policy against disruptions and equip ushers to deal with situations.

And most of all, stop trying to force a new format down our throats.

I'm still laughing at the fact that they've branded TV resolutions as "High Definition" that are the same (except in the widescreen flavor rather than fullscreen) as what we had on computer monitors a few years more than a decade ago. I ran my P166 & its 4MB off brand video card at 1152x864 back in 1995, and that is almost as many pixels as 720p.

But the DRM infested formats are also humorous.

thats what a LCD tv is really... a giant MONITOR.

Sony: "It's over, Johnny! It's OVER!"

Toshiba: "Nothing is over! NOTHING! You just don't turn it off!"

But it probably is over. I just can't see HD-DVD coming back from this. A while back, some online news site compared Toshiba's refusal to surrender to the "It's just a flesh wound" scene in Monty Python.

But now Blu-Ray has no reason to lower prices. Aren't the players still like 500 bucks? No, thanks.

well you where paying twice has much when DVD players 1st came out

Blu-ray prices are going to come down. They're still more expensive right now because the hardware is specialized. Now that the format war is over, other companies are going to start investing in the technology and will start producing players and discs for less money.

oh god, evil-mart has decided. the rest of the world will follow

Over here, Woolworths has decided to drop HD DVD and exclusively sell Blu-Ray.

yea i just seen that

Nooooooo! Dammit, I purchased an HD-DVD player about two or three months ago. When HD-DVD started, I used to program for some of the WB titles. Back then, Blu-Ray was in bad shape, because they were using MPEG-2 as their codec, instead of a proprietary HD codec, which was what HD-DVD was using. After being slammed by techno-critics, they quickly saw the error of their ways and switched to an HD codec.

Here's a little insight into why Sony 's Blu-Ray is a poor execution. Toshiba (HD-DVD) from the onset has included Ethernet capabilities which is paramount to this format. Why? Because, being someone who has worked in HD-DVD from the beginning, I can tell you these companies haven't always gotten it right in terms of a bug free infrastructure. These players need constant firmware updates, because they're not stable and most importantly because they keep changing their developer standards. With HD-DVD you can update your firmware at any time. With Blu-Ray, only the top of the line players have Ethernet, and they come with a painfully high price tag. If you purchase a BR player without an Ethernet port, you may experience future BR discs not playing because your firmware is out of date.

The best BR player on the market right now is the PS3. Hands down, because from what I understand it plays true 1080p and it is also Ethernet ready. And, for the price point, you can't beat it.

KICK ASS!
now friggin Toshiba themselves are going to ditch hddvd,now this is just GREAT NEWS!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY BLU-RAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS HAIL HAIL

I was planning on switching over in the summer (getting an X-BOX 360, might as well get the HD-DVD addon). My reason for this is because I've heard more negative things about Blu-Ray than HD-DVD. For starters, those firmware upgrades are shit. From everything I've heard, HD-DVD had their shit in order from the get go. I've also heard Blu-Ray loading times suck (three minutes for Ratatoullie, and that was just the menu). Plus, once one format takes overs, you can bet the winner is gonna ass rape the consumers by charging even more for their format.

Yes its all hear say!

Well, Toshiba didn't have their shit together in the beginning. They had it collected better than Sony, at least. I know this, I worked on their platforms before commercial release. And when they released their first players, they were pretty buggie. But, they did have the presence of mind to put an Ethernet port on their players, so upgrades of firmware were easier. All of this moot, because the HD-DVD platform is stable.

If you're going to pick up the XBOX 360, I'd recommend checking to ensure it has hdmi connections instead of the older component.

If you ask me I would say this:

"do not waste your hard earned money on an xjunk 360,PS3 all the way baby!!!!!!!!!"

long live Blu-Ray!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That is why I did not ask you :p

Back
Top Bottom