• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Bad Movies with Good Music/Good Movies with Bad Music

I read this as a simple side discussion on the notion of a soundtrack being memorable or not, and whether it being not memorable is automatically a bad thing, or intentional and appropriate vs so specific it plays a role in telling the story, regardless of the quality of the movie (or tv show in the case of TP
That makes sense. I was poking a bit for fun. The point that Lapis Molari makes is a good one. Can you imagine some of these shows, especially Twin Peaks or The X-Files without that music?

/\ Twin Peaks = memorable show AND memorable music. I was mesmerized when it first aired, with Badalamenti's main theme playing over the opening credits with the mill and the bird in the tree. I still enjoy that music.

That makes sense. I was poking a bit for fun. The point that Lapis Molari makes is a good one. Can you imagine some of these shows, especially Twin Peaks or The X-Files without that music?
I think when you're talking about the theme song to a TV series, that's different than the score to a film. They serve different functions. You want the TV theme to welcome you, to create a sense of anticipation upon the weekly repetition. You want a film score to heighten or compliment the emotion of a scene, not add in a feeling where none existed.

There are exceptions of course, where "the score becomes another character", but personally I think this should be the exception, not the rule. Like any actor playing a character, if you're sticking out in every scene, you're doing a disservice to telling the broader story.

Surprised I haven't seen TRON: Legacy mentioned. The movie as a whole definitely was mediocre at best, but the soundtrack by Daft Punk was top-notch and I still listen to it often despite not having re-watched the movie in many years.

Last edited:
Surprised I haven't seen TRON: Legacy mentioned. The movie as a whole definitely was mediocre at best, the soundtrack by Daft Punk was top-notch and I still listen to it often despite not having re-watched the movie in many years.
I loved the Tron Legacy movie. I never watched the original Tron, so I didn't care about faithfulness to it. I didn't only love the music, but also the visuals, the characters (Michael Sheen's Zeus and Jeff Bridges as both Flynn and Clu, especially). The de-aging might not have aged well, but I remember it being decent when released. The lore about the Iso's and the purge and resistance was cool as well. This film is one of my favorites.

The director of Tron: Legacy (Jospeh Kosinski) is a music video director who never pays much attention to story details. His films look and sound great though, which is enough to win over a lot of fans. The great ideas in Tron: Legacy
The lore about the Iso's and the purge and resistance
was dropped in without much explanation because it was from the amazing animated series made as a prequel to the film. The series is where they were going to explore that more:

Also amazing music and visuals, great voice acting from Elijah Wood, Bruce Boxleitner, Mandy Moore, Nate Corddry, Lance Henriksen, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Reginald VelJohnson, Paul Reubens, and Tricia Helfer, plus a great story to boot. It's far better than Tron: Legacy deserved, but because the movie (and tie-in video game) flopped, the series got canceled after one season. The finale had Jeff Bridges and would've tied more directly into the film and set up for the sequel (rumored as Tron: Revolution), however that film was canceled in 2015. Kosinski hasn't given up on a third film though, and they're looking to reboot the franchise with Jared Leto. So, rejoice Tron: Legacy fans.

The director of Tron: Legacy (Jospeh Kosinski) is a music video director who never pays much attention to story details. His films look and sound great though, which is enough to win over a lot of fans. The great ideas in Tron: Legacy

was dropped in without much explanation because it was from the amazing animated series made as a prequel to the film. The series is where they were going to explore that more:

Also amazing music and visuals, great voice acting from Elijah Wood, Bruce Boxleitner, Mandy Moore, Nate Corddry, Lance Henriksen, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Reginald VelJohnson, Paul Reubens, and Tricia Helfer, plus a great story to boot. It's far better than Tron: Legacy deserved, but because the movie (and tie-in video game) flopped, the series got canceled after one season. The finale had Jeff Bridges and would've tied more directly into the film and set up for the sequel (rumored as Tron: Revolution), however that film was canceled in 2015. Kosinski hasn't given up on a third film though, and they're looking to reboot the franchise with Jared Leto. So, rejoice Tron: Legacy fans.
I somehow missed that. < checks services > OK, I have something else to watch on Disney+. 😁

For me, Black Hawk Down was a terrible movie but Hans Zimmer was incredible creating the score. I have to say it's one of the most played soundtracks in my collection and it never gets old.

I've been listening to the brilliant Philip Glass a bit recently and learned yesterday that he co-composed last year's monumentally bad Fant4stic with Marco Beltrami. Now I didn't see the movie (because I don't hate myself) but I couldn't imagine a Glass/Beltrami team-up being anything but awesome. So I checked it out the main theme, and I wasn't wrong:

It's really a shame to see such solid music go to waste on such a waste of a movie. But, of course, here at FE.org, it's not really a waste if we can repurpose it! My immediate thought when I hear that theme is some sort of modern sic-fi Western mystery (so basically HBO's Westworld, although that already has great music).

Anyway it got me thinking, what are some bad movies with really good music? And the flip side of the coin, what are some good movies with really bad music (that could do with a good replacement)?

Bad music, good movie is a bit tougher. There are a lot of good movies with bland or disappointing scores (the recent Marvel score discussion comes to mind) but not many that I can think of with truly bad scores. Ladyhawke is a famous example (though I've yet to see the film). I think probably a lot of movies with synth scores from the 80s and 90s would qualify (as the the quality on them ranged drastically and they rarely fit the tone of the film). Legend's another good example though the Goldsmith score in the director's cut more than makes up for the Tangerine Dream of the original.

Another bad one with good music is the Frankenstein Bruce Lee film, Game of Death. The movie's a total train wreck, but check out this epic John Barry theme:

What examples can you guys think of? We could get some fanedit ideas rolling here. Maybe we can even match a good score from a bad movie with a good movie with a bad score! That'd be cute.
I always felt that where the Marvel movies fall short is music. The formula is damn near flawless. But the music is completely forgettable filler. No great themes, or memorable pieces like John Williams' Superman, for instance. It's a shame. So many things work so well in the films. But for whatever reason, it's as if the music was an afterthought.

I always felt that where the Marvel movies fall short is music. The formula is damn near flawless. But the music is completely forgettable filler. No great themes, or memorable pieces like John Williams' Superman, for instance. It's a shame. So many things work so well in the films. But for whatever reason, it's as if the music was an afterthought.

I'm not disagreeing but your example for how to do it right is 43 years old. Is it really a Marvel problem or more of a modern day superhero movie problem?

I'm not disagreeing but your example for how to do it right is 43 years old. Is it really a Marvel problem or more of a modern day superhero movie problem?
Good question. Perhaps a bit of both. I suppose I'm coming from the perspective that music/score used to play a much more vital role in filmmaking in general. Nowadays it often seems like more of an afterthought. That said, regarding modern super hero films, Christopher Nolan's Batman films have an amazing score that elevates the films to another level. DC even managed to put a little something into Wonder Woman. But that's essentially where it ends.

Disclaimer: I’m old. So maybe it’s all just passed me by. But I’m generally not a fan of Zimmer type scores. I want more themes, more melody. And Zimmer type scores seem to be rather dominant in big budget tent poles these days. That said, Marvel feels like an intentional choice. I don’t think they want the music to be hummable. They want it to be effective, but interchangeable. I think this is true of almost all aspects of the Marvel films. There isn’t a strong artistic stamp on the music, but neither is there on the overall direction. There isn’t a sense of the auteur. Well, I take that back, it’s maybe that the auteur is Feige and that consistency is a blessing in many ways, but it also keeps me from finding greatness in the movies.

The dissing of MCU music is so old and so done that I'm surprised more people haven't caught on to the responses. Part nostalgia, part intention, part sheer number of repetitions of the Superman/Batman scores: there are a lot of reasons some people don't find themselves humming MCU tunes. ^Moe definitely has a point, but it's fleshed out more in this great video essay:

I mean that’s interesting. But it doesn’t really address the core issues many have with these modern scores. Okay it’s not any less original than the scores that drew from classical masterpieces and it’s cheaper and easier. But most moviegoers aren’t aware of any of that. They just hear forgettable music. Williams may have been borrowing from the masters but the result is still themes that elevate the films in almost immeasurable ways. I can’t imagine Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park scored with a Zimmer-like score. Imagine this scene with a Zimmer score:

^Not to derail this thread on this tangent, but I think the video has other points besides. For example, early MCU films not only didn't make an effort to have much of a central theme for the hero (and didn't repeat it every 5 minutes like Williams/Elfman), but they often switched composers for the sequels and started from zero. While individual pieces from films were quite good, it's the repetition of a singular few notes or phrase across multiple movies and multiple generations that has led to other heroes' themes being so recognizable. The MCU seems to have realized audiences are actually fine with that and miss it rather than find it cheesy, so they seem to have made a conscious effort recently to reverse course, particularly in regards to the Avengers theme, which many people now know.

Also, I'm kind of exhausted of people saying "I love all these other themes" when what they really mean is "I love all John Williams' themes". If we're going to compare the MCU to Williams, then lets compare everyone to Williams. Where is the Fast & Furious franchise theme? The Wonder Woman theme? And so on. Williams is peerless, but others are doing great work as well, and their work should be compared to their peers. Zimmer is a good start, so let's talk Goransson, Giacchino, Newman, Desplat, Newton Howard...where are everyone's most memorable themes?

Also, I'm kind of exhausted of people saying "I love all these other themes" when what they really mean is "I love all John Williams' themes". If we're going to compare the MCU to Williams, then lets compare everyone to Williams. Where is the Fast & Furious franchise theme? The Wonder Woman theme? And so on. Williams is peerless, but others are doing great work as well, and their work should be compared to their peers. Zimmer is a good start, so let's talk Goransson, Giacchino, Newman, Desplat, Newton Howard...where are everyone's most memorable themes?
This is touching back on my point. The more I think on it, I don't think we're talking about a music problem, I think we're talking about a music trend. They don't make them like Williams anymore, in fact the most memorable Williams tracks are heavily inspired by (/trying to evoke) even older music so that kinda goes double.

I don’t see it that way. Of course among this sort of fandom Williams will be mentioned first because of the films he’s associated with. But Shore’s scores could just as easily be cited. I think it’s more of the choice between scores that are more traditionally melodic and those that feel more like an extension of the sound design. And the overall trend as @addiesin points out. It’s not Williams vs Zimmer, but you could certainly use those names as shorthand for the trends we’re speaking of.

But to the point of your video, it’s easier and more cost effective to do it the Zimmer way. But it often loses its feel, it’s evocativeness. At least for me.

This title is rather hyperbolic, but it shows similar trends in production in the music industry.

It’s far easier to track something to a grid, but it loses a lot of what makes it connect with real actual humans. But again maybe I’m just old. 🤣 We can talk about reasons for this, but it doesn’t change the fact that many feel that these trends cause the products to lose much of their emotional impact. Marvel isn’t the target, but rather the most high profile example of this trend. As you said, it is true for most big budget tent poles these days. I think the investment in spectacle causes budget to be reallocated. And, in my opinion, it is often to the detriment of elements that help to create emotional connection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom