• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Bad Movies with Good Music/Good Movies with Bad Music

Adabisi said:
DominicCobb said:
For example I recently watched Lifeforce, which is not great but still solid. Yet, the film's spooky, sci-fi, supernatural mystery angle didn't really fit with this awesome, bombastic Mancini score:

Not familiar with that movie, but the artwork was lifted from a classic Crimson Glory album (or vice versa).

Well I'm not familiar with the artwork but it definitely seems to have been done specifically for the film so probably vice versa?

I too agree that Krull and Willow are not bad movies but as for Braveheart I think most would consider that it was quite a good movie considering all the awards and nominations it received. 

Since I'm listing things I agree with, I've said multiple times that the scores were the only good thing to come out of the Star Wars prequels.  I also agree that Jablonky's score for the Transformers movie was good.  This is my favorite track from Age Of Extinction.

Smokin' Aces was a critical failure but I still enjoyed the movie and I freaking love Clint Mansell

Death Wish V is a prime example of a series ending with a whimper.  But the main theme isn't half bad at all.

^ Wow, you are right that's awesome. Fingers crossed you use it somewhere in RvsKF2000! :cool: I could see/hear this soundtracking the trip to the machine city bit.

TM2YC said:
^ Wow, you are right that's awesome. Fingers crossed you use it somewhere in RvsKF2000! :cool: I could see/hear this soundtracking the trip to the machine city bit.

You know... I hadn't really considered that.  Until now, anyway!   If Rogue's considerable soundtrack doesn't have everything I need, that'd fit pretty well. 

Hm.  Larry Fishburne III was in Death Wish 2, come to think of it... and Sparks references the series in Enter the Matrix.  Never noticed the connection before.  Why not..

Magnificent Bodyguards is an early Jackie Chan movie, back during his days with Lo Wei.  Like much of his output before Snake in Eagle's Shadow, it's pretty weak.  Other than the fact that it was filmed in 3D, there's really nothing remarkable about it.  The opening title theme is pretty cool, though.  But it's likely stolen from some other movie.  There's music from Star Wars later in the movie, after all.  But on the off chance it's an original composition...

Music starts at 2:54

Escape 2000 / Escape from The Bronx / Bronx Warriors 2 is an underwhelming Escape from New York knockoff, as featured on MST3K.  That main theme is pretty rad, though.

EXCELLENT THREAD!

As soon as I saw the title to this thread one of my old "in-the-works"  edits came to mind.

I truly LOVE this score.  The movie is very chessetastic and one day I'll get back to it (need to start over after computer issue hence why it never saw the light of day).

Starcrash, as featured in the MST3K revival, is a delightfully schlocky Star Wars knockoff of particularly laughable effectiveness.  Except for John Barry's soundtrack - he never phoned it in, did he?  Well... maybe a couple of those Roger Moore movies.

Its very rare a soundtrack stands out to me at all nowadays as they all seem to be so generic . Speaking of unsung classics Capricorn One stands out for me by the maestro Jerry Goldsmith, movies ok but Jerry's theme is wonderful

Also Jerry Fieldings score for 'The Killer Elite' (not the Statham flick), a fine score for what was one of the low points in Peckinpah's filmography

matrixgrindhouse said:
Starcrash, as featured in the MST3K revival, is a delightfully schlocky Star Wars knockoff of particularly laughable effectiveness.  Except for John Barry's soundtrack - he never phoned it in, did he?  Well... maybe a couple of those Roger Moore movies.

Yeah, there are some composers you can always rely on, even if they're working on a shit film. Morricone, Goldsmith, and of course Barry (was going to mention my favorite of that kind for him, Game of Death, but of course I've got it right there in the OP).

Speaking of Star Crash, I find this amusing

Saw this after watching a hilarious review from the guys at Red Letter Media. This movie is horrible and entertaining in all the right ways. I legit enjoyed the soundtrack. It's never been made available given the film's budget looks like it was less than 5 figures, but this guy did a cover version that's pretty close, and considering he's just a regular guy that makes music for fun (ie: doesn't have studio budget/equipment), I'd say his cover is pretty spot-on. And yes, I actually enjoy listening to stuff like this when I work out. Dat cheesy dated electric guitar, though:

https://soundcloud.com/bastian-l-er/prof-zz-low-blow-1986-action-theme-cover
https://soundcloud.com/bastian-l-er/prof-zz-low-blow-1986-action-theme-cover

Oh, and sometimes when I'm walking alone with no particular destination, this gets stuck in my head:

Goodness you guys have opened Pandora's Box now, lol. I actually paid to see this trash in the theater and had a blast. And yes, I also listen to this when I work out as well:

Never seen this one, but considering the franchise was giving to us by the lovely people from Canon Pictures, I'm sure it's a real oscar winner, lol. Here's another one from many of my workout playlists:

Ok, last one, I swear. This one I legit enjoy despite how bad it is. And I LOVE this song:

I need to see Steele Justice now, I remember the cover in the vhs rental store, god only knows how I never saw it I ate that stuff up as a kid
*edit- found whole thing on youtube

Pure Genius :D 

Very fond of the theme from Delta Force too from none other Alan Silvestri so typically 80's

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but... 

Guardians of The Galaxy. 

Bad film. Good music.

22ms3e.jpg

I couldn't get on with GOTG much at all either, turned the second one off after half an hour.

20s672a.gif

TM2YC said:
While I think of it... a James Horner "bad" movies bonus round...

I unabashedly love Battle Beyond the Stars, Krull, Willow, and Braveheart.  Each to their own, but it seems like punching down to pick on the first three, and just a pretty personal choice to bash the latter.  It was a huge success on every level, despite personal preference.  Brave to pick it then, I guess!

Sinbad said:
Pure Genius :D 

Very fond of the theme from Delta Force too from none other Alan Silvestri so typically 80's

Gotta say that I love Cobra, Delta Force and The Last Dragon, too!  I mean, they're over-the-top action, but that's what they're going for.  That's just a sub-genre choice, not a poorly executed film.  Brave of you, too, to call out the baddest mofo low down around this town!

Someone posted some Clint Mansel stuff here, and I love almost everything he does.  Some of his scores are well-recognized, like Requiem for a Dream, which is required by law to be re-used in at least 5 movie trailers per year.  But he's also scored a lot of ....less masterful films more recently.  Take your pick:
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/clint-mansell

(Do yourself a favor and just sit in a quiet room and listen to the score for The Fountain from start to finish.  It's profoundly moving.  I actually love the film, but I know it's not for everyone.)

Back
Top Bottom