• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Bad Movies with Good Music/Good Movies with Bad Music

Mute (2018)

A pretty mediocre film IMO, but has a fantastic score by Clint Mansell.

Junglist Paja said:
Mute (2018)

A pretty mediocre film IMO, but has a fantastic score by Clint Mansell.

Seconded!  I think the film is a very mixed bag, but the score is definitely one of the great things about it.  Love Mansell!

Quite surprised that no one has mentioned Exorcist II: The Heretic, which is of course what it is, and its incredibly gorgeous Ennio Morricone score:

Seems like it's easier to think of bad movies with good music. I just thought of Swordfish, which at the time was mind-boggling why Paul Oakenfold (at the height of his popularity) was doing the soundtrack to the whole film. An obvious trainwreck of a film.

But it's a bit harder to think of movies that would've been better if only they didn't have such bad music... I know some people love the zither in The Third Man, but for me it was horribly distracting. Similarly, the ill-matched banjo score to Ravenous ruined the film for me.
And it's grown on me over time, but I always felt the xylophone+marimba score for True Romance was mismatched and grating. I know all of these have their defenders though, but you have to admit they're divisive.

I don't remember the exact quote but someone asked Ennio Morricone how he prepares for writing a film score and he answered that he always aimed to compose a score that will stand on its own, and by extension can outlive the movie's popularity.

Perfect example: The Mission (1986). I enjoy the film, conceptually more than for repeated viewing, but I love the score.

Trivia: the oboe solo in The Mission is the longest in any filmscore (or at least was when it was recorded). The soloist Anthony Camden, then principal oboist and chairman of the LSO, told me himself (Wikipedia lists Joan Whiting, but I take Mr Camden at his word). His even more famous performance was the LSO's recording for Star Wars, where he played the oboe in the Cantina Band.

If a movie doesn't have a memorable soundtrack, does that make the soundtrack bad? Even if it hit the right beats at the right time?

I despise both Percy Jackson films as a book fan since it fails at almost every adaptation from there down to even the age of the characters. They are supposed to be kids not close to adult hood. That being said, the first film had some pretty good tracks like this one. After all these years some of these tracks are still in my head.

If a movie doesn't have a memorable soundtrack, does that make the soundtrack bad? Even if it hit the right beats at the right time?

Good question. No, that does not make it bad. Many movies have soundtracks that solidly support the visuals, without being memorable / loved as stand-alone music. These are soundtracks as supporting actors.

The memorable scores can be considered lead actors in their movies. E.g. in "The Piano" (where Nyman's score is arguably the only lead actor) or in "Twin Peaks" (where Badalamenti's score is one of many lead actors).

Ah, bad movies with good music. Well, Jurassic Park has good music :p
Gotta also say Highlander, that Queen soundtrack is way better than the movie itself.

^Blasphemy, both. Actually, the Queen songs and the film Highlander are inextricable for me. When I hear
"I am im-mor-tal, inside me lies the blood of kings- yeah!", I immediately match it with a video in my head of the quickening.
When I hear
"Who wants...to live...for-ev-er? Ohhh nooo... our love must die...", I tear up because of Rachel. Neither the film nor the songs have as much power without the other. To me, that's the true mark of greatness.

LOL, it's fine. Michael Bay loves some cock rock.
Not so much. That is emo or more specifically-nu metal. 80's hair bands are what inspired the term cock rock because of the groupies that wanted said, body part. Linkin Park, although I'm not a fan, transcends that categorization with very deep, meaningful, lyrics. The cock rock bands only wrote about said body part and how happy they would be to use it.🤣😂🤣😂

Last edited:
Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love is a brilliant movie but the main theme is repeated endlessly and is very annoying. It's a shame because most of his movies are filled with great music.

Controversy time :)

Blade Runner (Good movie, bad soundtrack)
Untouchables (Good movie, bad soundtrack)
Rtaa GIF by Rooster Teeth

The Blade Runner score is the only movie score I've listened through on its own in its entirety multiple times. I think it's perfect. Nothing wrong with your opinion, I'm just surprised to hear someone say that the soundtrack is bad.
Controversy time :)

Blade Runner (Good movie, bad soundtrack)
Untouchables (Good movie, bad soundtrack)

The Blade Runner score is the only movie score I've listened through on its own in its entirety multiple times. I think it's perfect. Nothing wrong with your opinion, I'm just surprised to hear someone say that the soundtrack is bad.
Yeah, I know I'm not a faneditor at THIS forum but I feel the need to defend my third favorite movie. Love everything about it. Love the myriad of edits too. However, you are an excellent editor, DigiModiFicaTion, and certainly have the right to your opinion.

Last edited:
I think some people are just not super into Vangelis. It's not that he does a bad job, I just often find his scores to be distracting from the film, rather than supporting it.

Good question. No, that does not make it bad. Many movies have soundtracks that solidly support the visuals, without being memorable / loved as stand-alone music. These are soundtracks as supporting actors.

The memorable scores can be considered lead actors in their movies. E.g. in "The Piano" (where Nyman's score is arguably the only lead actor) or in "Twin Peaks" (where Badalamenti's score is one of many lead actors).
Are you inferring that Twin Peaks is bad but the music is good? I don't think you are...but, seriously...are you? I like the point you make about the music being a lead actor. Another obvious one comes to mind...The X-Files.

Last edited:
Are you inferring that Twin Peaks is bad but the music is good? I don't think you are...but, seriously...are you? I like the point you make about the music being a lead actor. Another obvious one comes to mind...The X-Files.
I read this as a simple side discussion on the notion of a soundtrack being memorable or not, and whether it being not memorable is automatically a bad thing, or intentional and appropriate vs so specific it plays a role in telling the story, regardless of the quality of the movie (or tv show in the case of TP

Back
Top Bottom