• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

AvP OUTBREAK by Wraith

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 8 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
I will render and MP4 file from the edit cleanly and post.

Wraith said:
I will render and MP4 file from the edit cleanly and post.

Now you're talking! Thumbs up! :)

(Why is there no thumbs up emoticon on this forum? :p )

Exciting stuff. I too would like to give thumbs up. Fellow boardgamegeek Captain?

downloading right now, can't wait

just downloaded disc 1, will watch/review soon. when will disc 2 be available?
thanks~

having a terrible time burning this w/ imgburn.
the first time (using the jdownloader extracted files) gave me missing ifo errors
the 2nd time w/ manual rar extraction I am getting a warning saying there is no suitable layer break areas.
any help would be appreciated!

Edit 1 - video_ts folder opens fine in vlc, maybe I will just burn regardless of the warnings and hope for the best....

Edit 2 - after re-reading the thread I am having the exact same problem as Capt Khajiit. Will post results of my DL disc after burning is complete. and like throw mentioned its gotta be due to the fact that there are no chapters - according to the main menu I saw when I opened the vts folder in vlc.

Edit 3 - my bad, wraith did indeed include chapters, just no chapter menus. I misread the menu text :oops:
The disc opens ok in vlc, and I paged through the chapters and it seems to play fine. I havent tried it in a "real" dvd player yet as I am watching the ballgame, so as of this writing it seems to be safe to burn w/ imgburn despite the warnings but I dont know where the layer break has been added and I dont know how the transition holds up. I will post an update if I have any issues viewing on a dvd player.

If you have Nero, try running it through Recode. If your output settings (DVD5 or DVD9) are the same as the input size, it wont have to re-encode the video, but it can fix the structure sometimes. This has worked for me in the past with discs that were messed up somehow.

elbarto1 said:
having a terrible time burning this w/ imgburn.
Edit 2 - after re-reading the thread I am having the exact same problem as Capt Khajiit. Will post results of my DL disc after burning is complete. and like throw mentioned its gotta be due to the fact that there are no chapters - according to the main menu I saw when I opened the vts folder in vlc.

Well, I was pretty surprised, because I couldn't imagine what had happened during download, and it is unlike Imgburn to report problems like this, when nothing is wrong. I appreciate you keeping us posted, elbarto.

I'm glad I pulled out the video with pgcdemux and watched it without burning a disc, as I'm not as brave as elbarto when it comes to risking DVD 9s lol, and I don't have Nero. Our good friend Wraith might want to look at DVD Moviefactory v4. I find it hard to be believe that this process is entirely automated, and there is nothing in the settings about the layer-break, as choosing where it goes if often an important decision for the author of a disc.

I removed nero a few years ago because it was causing multiple problems on my system.

(I may be wrong - and often am, but) I dont believe you manually set a specific layer break unless you are making an ISO. when I burn Video_TS folders w/ Imgburn it usually gives me a few options to set the break myself - this release did not.

still havent had an opportunity to view the disc I made and it may be a while due to the length of this film, but I will keep you posted Cap'n K :)

elbarto1 said:
(I may be wrong - and often am, but) I dont believe you manually set a specific layer break unless you are making an ISO. when I burn Video_TS folders w/ Imgburn it usually gives me a few options to set the break myself - this release did not.

correct. nero recode doesnt give you an option to set a layer break. It modifies the structure automatically to set one. The fact that IMGburn did not give an option for a layer break is bad news. That means the disc was not authored correctly. This can be modified with PGCedit (dont ask me how), but if you try to burn as it is now, you will likely create some DVD9-coasters.

edit: oops, the software is PGCedit, not IFOedit

elbarto1 said:
I removed nero a few years ago because it was causing multiple problems on my system.

Join the club! :)

elbarto1 said:

still havent had an opportunity to view the disc I made and it may be a while due to the length of this film, but I will keep you posted Cap'n K :)

Ah, yes, my experience has only been with making ISOs or setting layer breaks manually with Imgburn. My mistake! I was thinking of Adywan's ANHR in which we were instructed not to move the layer break, so that obviously led me to the wrong conclusion. My apologies, Wraith. :oops:

Thanks for keeping us updated, elbarto. I suppose you could do what I did, if you just want to watch the film.

I will re-render and re post

Hopefully that should resolve.

BOON23, please note....apols

Hello all.

V1.062 coverted to MP4 640x480 cropped to 16:9 size 1.2 GB.
Will upload tomorrow and post in rapid...

Also have a higger bit rate 2.4 gb version but then you may as well have the SL version that wil be avail soon...

W

Wraith said:
Hello all.

V1.062 coverted to MP4 640x480 cropped to 16:9 size 1.2 GB.
Will upload tomorrow and post in rapid...

Also have a higger bit rate 2.4 gb version but then you may as well have the SL version that wil be avail soon...

W

Not necessarily...

I'd kill to get my hands on the 2.4 Gb version as I play 99% of stuff straight from my media player and avoid burning discs at all costs. I only burn my own edits to test them lol.

Entirely up to you though, mate. I'll take whichever. Thanks! :)

well the dvd I made plays but there are all kinds of (what appear to be) editing errors (flash frames, stuttery camera pans, audio slightly out of sync) that I cant watch it.
I doubt they are actually editing errors and rather just a faulty burned DVD-DL.
I really want to watch this one but cannot under these circumstances. I really hope Wraith re-releases a more burn friendly version.

to anyone listening, do not burn to DVD9 unless you magically dont get the error me and Capt K had. wait for a re-release or SL DVD version....
:!: hmmm, maybe I'll just run the Video_TS folder through DVD shrink and watch that.... dunno 2.5 hrs on a SL has gotta look shitty. Wrath, PLEASE help!

Edit - SL DVD looks ok so far, a good deal of image noise but still very watchable and better than expected for a 2.5hr film

I watched this edit (half last night/half today) and thought it was pretty good. the real drawback comes from the films feeling very much like 2 different films slapped together in the middle. the editing is sound and reduces much of the poor acting/dialog throughout and the added scenes from apocalypto and outbreak (didn't notice any others - cocoon?) added to the story. I cannot do a full review because of the issues I had w/ a DVD9 and it wouldn't be fair to review the SL DVD as the quality took a big hit, but I will point out a few likes/dislikes.

the opening sequence w/ Apocalypto and the transition from eclipse to space was very nice. I actually read the AvP novel before the film was released (I am a huge fan of both franchises) and there was so much more plot surrounding the Mayan temples and ancient tribes, so it was nice to see that aspect semi-restored. It was such a great idea IMO but was executed so poorly which pretty much sums up my feelings on the first AvP.

loved the dialog trims throughout both films. so many retarded comments and bad scenes were removed to benefit the audiences sanity. wraith really did make 2 stinkers into one watchable film.

The added footage from outbreak really added depth to AvP:R and felt appropriate.

the transition from avp to avp:r was nicely done.

Dislikes:
AvP's score sucks balls, I hate it and really wish there were more cues taken from the alien/predator series and added in here. I firmly believe AvP would be a stronger film if the score was more reminiscent of the series' the film is based on. Uncanny Antman's Predator Chronicles did this to great effect and I really would love to see the individual AvP films get the deluxe treatment w/ all the nonsense removed and a new score added. I might have to do that for myself though...

There is an obvious aspect ratio change during the Apocalypto footage around 3:15
There are less obvious aspect ratio changes on all of the added Outbreak footage.

The school/pool sequence in AvP:R could be re-structured IMO as its sort of confusing in a where are we now? and whats going on? way. I'd suggest this:
-sheriff and Dallas arrive at power plant on fire,
-little brother runs up saying "something came after us at the school"
-cut to: wolf dragging dead kid/toss in pool/blue goo pool

there is a bad flash frame in AvP:R right after wolf pours the blue goo on the corpses of the homeless men in the sewer. the flash frame is pizza boy in his truck. around 1:44:00

there is another flash frame around 2:19:00

there are multiple references to Colorado even though you changed the town to somewhere in California (to match w/ outbreak) the TV news in the diner mentions Colorado falls or whatever the town was called. sheriff Morales mentions the Colorado national guard.

---
like I said it still feels like 2 separate films tied together in the middle but its not really the editors fault. he did a good job cutting the bullshit that really dragged these 2 films down. if the issues I mentioned weren't there I would provide a more detailed review but at this point I will hold off.

elbarto1 said:
well the dvd I made plays but there are all kinds of (what appear to be) editing errors (flash frames, stuttery camera pans, audio slightly out of sync) that I cant watch it. I doubt they are actually editing errors and rather just a faulty burned DVD-DL.

I saw the same problems when I viewed the muxed mpg I made (with pgcdemux and Womble) on my media player. I also took the problems to be a result of issues with the problematic files, rather than the edit, so I held back from commenting on them until now. Since we downloaded the same files, I hope it is the case that there are no technical problems with the edit itself, just with these particular files.

Thank you all so much for those comments....

I will check the flash frames etc and pull them and re render....Easily trimmed....and usually avoided by cutting 2 frames in not noe...i notice when you cut to the edge sometimes a frame render sslips thru from a previous scene...

NEXT

Will post the 2.4 and 1.4 GB Mp4....but will re-render after I creat a new master.

Next.

I rendered a NO SCORE ENHANCed version....and shame the view is more of the other scores...I though a balance from all sources would be nice...I did add some iconic cues, but point taken. I will remove the AvP games score and replace withh appropriate cues from only the franchise....(or similar by same composers like the spock walk track by Jerry Goldsmith)....

This will be version 2.

Will keep you all posted and thx for comments.

On sync...I notice that randomly when I create a DVD from a video file master I get random sync issues sometimes...Xmen Requiem War was plagued with it and I ended up having to resysnc the film....without doing a visual re-edit....crazy. Here it only happened a couple of time but I cant re-watch the entire film every time I render...it would nver been finnished...so I sample known problem areas till sorted....but you can miss one ....will fix.

This is your chance for request, suggestions, positive and negative.....I will deliver but after this re-edit...I'm done on this one. Jame Bond awaits....have already created a custom gunbarrel opening animating it myself using the same technique I used for my opening titles...HEY anyone like my WRAITH reveal in the style of ALIEN?????

Time for bed....(edit permitting)....Thx all

WRAITH

ps...thought the Colorado ref would be ok since it is next door to California...will amend as well...

Thx for the pool idea...will do....

W

Back
Top Bottom