• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JasonN said:
(I'll probably be cutting a good 1/3rd or more of the narration as well, providing that the voice doesn't bleed into the other audio tracks and is confined to the center track).

Yeah, theoretically it should be good to go, as the theatrical version narraration was pretty well exclusive to the center channel.

TMBTM said:
I saw the Avatar 3D Blu Ray running on a store in france.
Apparently Samsung has a deal to give the 3D Blu Ray for any 3D HDTV bought , in exclusivity until end of december.

Actually it's Panasonic that has the exclusivity deal, at least in the U.S. If it was Samsung I'd be getting a copy. The whole exclusive crap kind of pisses me off since I can't get the How to Train Your Dragon 3D blu-ray without spending hundreds of dollars on a starter kit that I already have.

Side note: I will be picking up the blu-ray here shortly and plan to implement parts of it into my edit.

JasonN: If it's like the original blu-ray then the voice over is restricted to the center channel with the exception of the recruiters who bleed over into the surround some. The biggest issue is replacing the sound effects from the center channel.

The entire 3D craze will probably die down anyway as there are too many variables. Once there is a standard I might be able to see 3D taking off, but until then it's just a novelty.

But there is a standard for blu-ray.

I think it'll take off once they stop the stupid exclusive BS and get the prices down on the glasses. Of course in a year or 2 every TV will have the 3D capabilities included, and most new blu-ray players already are going to have it.

Even though most of the 45 minutes are unfinished, there is some good stuff with the actors shot that could be inserted ,because there are only minor elements (viewscreens etc.) that are not done:

the conversation with grace and norm about jake never being one with the na'vi is a pretty good scene that enhances jake's conflict

jake is copying files about the na'vi's sacred place to a stick to give it to trudy. you can clearly see that jake hates himself doing it, but trudy reminds him that he has to give quaritch some information otherwise they will shut them down - except for jake's computer interface the scene is done (plus there is some outside footage of grace and norm taking samples while trudy and jake talk, which is mixture of set and greenscreen)

also there is a scene before quaritch wakes jake and grace up where trudy tries to warn norm that the military is coming to them, but quaritch switches of her microphone

Also there is a short but cool scene where jake is sitting with the scientists and they are discussing many biological things and jake is just there sitting, not fitting in at all, trudy comes around to take him to quaritch and at this point in the story it feels more like jake does not belong to the scientists at all and that quaritch/military is more his family

Sunarep said:
Even though most of the 45 minutes are unfinished, there is some good stuff with the actors shot that could be inserted ,because there are only minor elements (viewscreens etc.) that are not done:
The only major issue I see with adding any of the deleted scenes back into the film (some of which are very interesting, like the mentioned scene of Jake at breakfast with the scientists or Selfridge trying to take a stand against Quaritch, but getting threaten about "being a long way from Earth") is that the audio for all the scenes are in 2.0 stereo and not 5.1 dolby surround like the rest of the film.

(incidently, that's the same issue I recently ran across with the deleted scenes for Scott Pilgrim Vs The World)

its a pain in the ass for sure, but not a dealbreaker IMO. you can just upmix the 2.0 and while its noticeable, it falls under the "i work with what i have" umbrella. if the scenes are good enough to add in, I say go for it - even if the audio isnt a perfect match.

elbarto1 said:
its a pain in the ass for sure, but not a dealbreaker IMO. you can just upmix the 2.0 and while its noticeable, it falls under the "i work with what i have" umbrella. if the scenes are good enough to add in, I say go for it - even if the audio isnt a perfect match.
what exactly is the difference between 5.1 and 2.0? are they stereo tracks or do you get separate tracks but fewer?
how do you upmix?

5.1 has 6 tracks - center, front left/right, rear left/right and LFE (subwoofer).
2.0 (stereo) has 2 tracks - left and right.

'upmix' is simply a render output feature (i use vegas) that takes 2.0 and "fakes" 5.1 by sending sound to all the speakers. Its what I did w/ my Running Scared edit as well as the deleted scenes on my Up In The Air edit.

sure its not optimal, but its good enough IMO.

There's a 2.0 version of the film soundtrack on the DVD, I think it would be easier to use and make the deleted scenes fit. Plus its supposed to be a workprint version, thus 2.0 for all the movie is acceptable.

elbarto1 said:
5.1 has 6 tracks - center, front left/right, rear left/right and LFE (subwoofer).
2.0 (stereo) has 2 tracks - left and right.

'upmix' is simply a render output feature (i use vegas) that takes 2.0 and "fakes" 5.1 by sending sound to all the speakers. Its what I did w/ my Running Scared edit as well as the deleted scenes on my Up In The Air edit.

sure its not optimal, but its good enough IMO.
Sidneywish said:
There's a 2.0 version of the film soundtrack on the DVD, I think it would be easier to use and make the deleted scenes fit. Plus its supposed to be a workprint version, thus 2.0 for all the movie is acceptable.

Are you guys sure KBM wasn't just joking when he asked what the difference between 2.0 and 5.1? I'm pretty sure it was just another of his clever pranks :lol:

@Sidneywish, i disagree. Upmixing the deleted scenes to 5.1 would be more appropriate as the majority of people have a 5.1 system. Yes 2.0 is okay for a workprint, i even prefer 2.0, but to serve the greater good, and since it is not terribly hard, these scenes should be upmixed :)

The "Pandora Rules" deleted scene (where Quaritch expands on the rules of the Company's instillation on Pandora and belittles Norm for not paying attention) would also be a good sequence to add back into the film - the scene adds a bit more to Quaritch's character (painting his stern 'hardass-ness' has having a purpose, to scare these people in order to keep them alive on this world), plus like the "Breakfast with the Scientists" deleted scene the sequence is 100% completed effects-wise.

There's also a few deleted scene extensions for the "Drums of War" sequence, which has Quaritch prodding and manipulating Selfridge with his words to order the attack on Hometree, which would work well (the video of the new extensions would have to be color-corrected to match the rest of the sequence, though).

I'm mildly disappointed that the "Avatars Attack" sequence (where the scientists and Avatar Drivers take back the base from the Military) was never completed past pre-viz effects, as I always questioned why the Avatars had turned against the humans at the end of the movie when they were sent packing from Pandora.

JasonN said:
The "Pandora Rules" deleted scene (where Quaritch expands on the rules of the Company's instillation on Pandora and belittles Norm for not paying attention) would also be a good sequence to add back into the film - the scene adds a bit more to Quaritch's character (painting his stern 'hardass-ness' has having a purpose, to scare these people in order to keep them alive on this world)

That one is AWESOME!!! now there is a scene i truly am saddened that it was not released in 5.1 audio. GDSM!!!

They should've finished the acid trip scene, y'know, for kicks :lol:

Anyone have any ideas as to why the deleted scenes are matted down to scope framing? It seems odd to me, seeing as the movie was shot and framed for 16x9 in mind and was only matted down for theatrical release.

Tubes said:
Anyone have any ideas as to why the deleted scenes are matted down to scope framing? It seems odd to me, seeing as the movie was shot and framed for 16x9 in mind and was only matted down for theatrical release.

I actually think it was filmed in scope and they just cropped the sides making it 16x9 for imax 3d or whatever.

Nope i was wrong, the deleted scenes were matted to scope. Not the other way around. Too bad.

Rogue-theX said:
Nope i was wrong, the deleted scenes were matted to scope. Not the other way around. Too bad.

Not bad, really. Cameron framed the film for both aspect ratios, even in post, so it's not like we're losing the director's intent like a fullscreen release. Just annoying for those looking to incorporate the scenes into a fanedit, because it's going to entail reframing either the deleted scenes (and losing precious resolution) or reframing the entire film to scope (which will take forever and a day).

Tubes said:
or reframing the entire film to scope (which will take forever and a day).

Don't i know it!!! litterally FOREVER!!! I don't think i will even use any of the actual deleted scenes except for a few things from the extended edition, but i'm reframing to scope because it looks way better imo. f##* it really is a pain. I'm not joking.

Maybe he did it this way to discourage fanedits. ;)

For what it's worth, here's Cameron on aspect ratios:

For Avatar we’re shooting in a 16:9 ratio, we’re extracting a cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition, and for 3D theatrical exhibition we will do, in the theaters that can, we’ll be in the 16:9 format and the theaters that can’t we’ll be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I’m actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the kind of 1.85 format, now saying 1.85 – or actually, it’s 1.78:1 – actually works really well in 3D. But only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

Which is interesting, because all the home theater releases have been 16x9. Maybe Fox wanting to avoid letters pouring in about the "black bars" spoiling someone's experience.

Next time I get a chance, I'm going to compare the flat and scope compositions for the bits of the deleted scenes that cross over into the finished film. I doubt that Cameron reframed every scene specifically and probably chose a common line (top third or center) for scope framing.

Back
Top Bottom