• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Attack of the Clones: The super 8 cut

:lol:
what_are_you_doing.jpg

EDIT:
funny-dog-pictures-wise-guy.jpg

when will this be up? I cannot wait to see it. Looking forward to it, very interesting idea.

I've actually watched it twice since Rogue sent me a preview copy. If you had any idea how many times I've watched AOTC and how much I dislike it generally, you would see what a compliment that is!

HardCorr said:
when will this be up? I cannot wait to see it. Looking forward to it, very interesting idea.
It's on .info now.

Great! I'll post a review soon.

Thanks spence :)

I also wanted to thank all involved in posting the edit on the site, namely L8wrtr and anyone else who helped with that, Thank you :)

I have to get this out of the way ASAP:

I DEMAND AN ENTIRE FLASH GORDON EDIT IN THAT EXACT TRAILER LOOK

You absolutely nailed the look of the old two-color comics (red/grayscale/white - see below) and turned a fugly looking piece of camp into a feast for the eyes. It took me quite a while to realize what movie it was, I was just amazed and thinking "I absolutely have to see this!"

denis+m+2.bmp

The main show and the rest of the trailers were a lot of fun as well, and that considering that fun is one of the last words I'd ever choose to describe AOTC. Isn't it interesting how beautiful the SW prequels look when filtered through a vintage film treatment, while (IMO at least) they look really awful in their standard form? See TMBTM's silent treatment, it's gorgeous too. I'd have liked the image to be more downgraded, it still looks too pristine behind the filters (see the actual Super 8 films Tranzor included as easter eggs for The Prowler for comparison), but it's more than nice enough as it is.

Again, as for Flash Gordon... please! pretty please!

pretty_please_cat.jpg

Hey, thank's for the kind word's Dwight :)
Im glad you liked it, and the trailer, If i get enough ideas i'll definatly be making that flash gordon one :)

Yeah, the FG trailer was really good :)
Mesa want some more too!

As for AOTC it was a very nice way to revisit the movie although I feel that, for someone not knowing the movie, there are some little plot holes (well the original movie also have some: syfo dias anyone?).
How exactly Obi knows where is the planet to look for in the archive and the name of it? (a simple "a bounty hunter from Kamino..." line by Zahm just before she dies would have make sens here). And who exactly is that Dooku vilain that every characters seems to know, but the audience not?
That said, those kind of missing things are parts of super 8 cuts of movies anyway, and they did not break the flow of the story at all.
The look of the edit is "gorgeous", maybe a bit too beautiful, but it's not a complain at all, I loved it. From the picture I saw before I was worried that it would be just a tinted black and white version (like my silent versions), but no, it's very smartly done.
The pace felt a bit like a "long" episode of the CG Clone Wars show and this is also a compliment.
I also liked the added music from the OT at times. Nice touch.

This is a solid first fanedit that shows a lot of work and passion. Congratulations.

Rogue-theX said:
If i get enough ideas i'll definatly be making that flash gordon one :)

fireworks_121.gif

In the past I have toyed with the idea of having a vintage version of the Flash Gordon movie, to get rid of the horrible colors and the silliest moments, and replace at least part of the score with the classical pieces heard in the serials (I love Queen to death, but vintage Flash Gordon and Liszt's Les Preludes are a match made in Heaven). And you got the absolutely most perfect look for it! Be careful not to lose or forget the parameters you used!

Back to AOTC, I love the subtle touches you inserted, and which ring absolutely true. Particularly the very last shot being stretched. Not really needed in this one (I assume they did it in Star Wars in order to avoid cutting any of the standing characters) but it's a true blast from the past of the days of not only Super 8 but VHS as well.

BTW, would you mind listing the music pieces you used for the trailers? Appreciated! :)

I enjoy seeing fan trailers that manipulate the original film into something new, there is a guy on youtube that takes old movies and makes them "Premakes" of popular new films like Up, The Empire Strikes Back, etc.

Now I too would enjoy a "old school" Flash Gordon edit that echoes the old serials. I like edits that looks old/weathered/beat-up.

I got to watch this a few weeks ago, and after the amazing work Rogue contributed to my ROTJ fanedit, I wanted to see how this turned out.

This is a really really great fanedit, but I loved in a way that was different to what many will notice. Though the Super 8 effects are really nice and well done, the way the story is told in such a short amount of time is what impressed me the most. Rogue was able to take the most meandering, poorly plotted Star Wars movie and turn it into something brisk and exciting. Very little of the story is sacrificed (most notably all of the Padme/Anakin on Naboo, which apparently isn't that necessary.) but it's told in a clean, concise manner. The plot now feels much more focused, and much less all over the place. The edit is a lot of fun, and a great new way to watch AOTC. Highly recommended!

DwightFry78 said:
...Liszt's Les Preludes are a match made in Heaven). And you got the absolutely most perfect look for it! Be careful not to lose or forget the parameters you used!...

...BTW, would you mind listing the music pieces you used for the trailers? Appreciated! :)...

Actually, i did that look on the fly, and didn`t jot down the method, but i can do it again :) the look will be given a different name however, probably Bobs idea ``mongovision`` as i have further developed the Megacolor look and it`s different than it was before.
I`ll have to check out the music you suggested :)

The song for the Space Marines trailer is from the Alexander Nevsky score by Sergie Prokofiev called ``Battle on the ice`` and has been use in many a trailer as it just makes action look incredible. (Space Marines is in the works btw)
The song used for Hard As F**k is from The Wild Angel score performed by Davie Allen & the Arrows called ``The Wild Angels Ballad`` the song from the Unknown Rider trailer is also from the Wild Angels score and is actually called ``The Unkown Rider`` The beginng choir music for that trailer is by Ennio Morricone from the Death Rides a Horse score.
The Short que being played during the ``medusa`` logo directly before the Flash Gordon trailer is by the band The United States Of America and is called ``Osamu`s Birtday`` the music for the flash gordon trailer is from the movie.

TMBTM, you`re right there are a couple of plot holes, but i kinda wanted a few errors to make it more believable that this was actualy a super 8 film ;)

Again, thank you everyone who has watched the edit, and for posting your thoughts, much apprecited :)

Rogue-theX said:
Actually, i did that look on the fly, and didn`t jot down the method, but i can do it again :) the look will be given a different name however, probably Bobs idea ``mongovision`` as i have further developed the Megacolor look and it`s different than it was before.
I`ll have to check out the music you suggested :)
I like the Mongovision idea! Liszt's Les Preludes is what was used as the main soundtrack to the actual Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe:

Rogue-theX said:
(Space Marines is in the works btw)

Yay! More Rogue goodness! Can't wait! :) Will all of these be shorts or do you plan any of them to be feature-lenght?

Ah, so that's what that music is, i've never actually tried to track it down, mainly because when i searched for what music was used for the universal monsters movies it usualy said very little or "stock music used" lol. Thank's Dwight, I was going to use that type of music for the Consecution. (I'll just Lift it from the dvd though, instead of grabbing a new cd).

I don't plan to do the Unknown Rider or Hard as F**k, but Space Marines is a two reel super 8 edit. I spoke with Bionicbob about possibly releasing one chapter of the flash gordon as an extra for each edit i release, then i guess collect them when they're all done,
so that i have time to come up with other ideas for each chapter ect. what do you think?

I'd love a feature-lenght Flash Gordon edit in Mongovision, in the style of the best 1950s Sci-Fi (think Forbidden Planet), but turning it into a serial is about as good and probably more fitting. What worries me is, are there enough cliffhangers to sustain the format? I thought the serialized Raiders of the Lost Ark in this site only half-worked because of that, a lot of the chapters didn't end the way an actual serial would do.

Yes, that seems to be the million dollar question. I'll have to look into that, if it can't be done, i guess it could be made to be like when they edited flash gordon & space soldiers 12 chapters into a feature film... Wasn't it called "rocketship"?

Back
Top Bottom