• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Attack of the Clones: The super 8 cut

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REVIEW (CONTAINS SPOILERS!):

So I finally finished watching Rogue's Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut. (I know, I know, how did it take me such a long time to watch a movie that was just barely over half an hour long?!)

DVD Menu Design: I really liked the menu design. I know some people love to make(or see) very elaborate menus and others are find with simplicity. I just appreciate DVD Menus that don't make it look like a custom dvd of home movies or something but that is just my personal preference. Anyway, I thought the menus looked very nice.

The Edit:
I really enjoyed this edit. I was really intrigued as to how Rogue would be able to pull off an edit of AOTC in less than 40 minutes. Well Mission Accomplished! Whatever magic voodoo you used, I want to buy some of it. The way it was edited left you with lots of action while maintaining a coherent plot. It's hard to say what plot holes were "noticeable" as something like the Star Wars films are something most people are so familiar with. And since you've already seen the movie, your mind can kind of fill in the gaps and holes while watching a fanedit like this. But just to play devil's advocate i think if this was my first time watching AOTC there wouldn't be that much i felt was missing or confusing plotwise.

Full screen worked great here as did all of the effects used to changed the tint and color of the film, the film "noise" the scratches etc. This all gave it that retro feel. I was really impressed with some of the little details in this edit that may have gone unnoticed by other viewers. I think it would have been simple enough to use filters or what not, change the tint, add the scratches etc and be done with it. That would have been fine and would have still accomplished the task. But Rogue went beyond that. There were two scenes (at least two that I noticed) where there were small jump cuts. I thought this was very cleverly done and the kind of detail that just added to the retro feel of the edit. In the scene where Obi-Wan is falling from the sky in the city at night, and Anakin is trying to maneuver his speeder and catch Obi-Wan, just as Obi-Wan lands the screen goes black for a second and then the film returns to normal. Again this, i assume, was another intentional choice to make it retro and less than "pristine". I really appreciated these little details.

Sound and Video Quality: Audio and Video editing, were great. There was nothing jarring that I noticed besides the intentional stuff.

DVD Extras: There's really not much left to be said that hasn't already been said in other reviews of this edit. The trailers were really great. The Enter the Dragon trailer was my personal favorite!

Rating: My first 10/10 rating! Not that it matters to anyone but usually a 9/10 is really a 10/10 from me. But this rating is really well deserved. Rogue had a great idea and was very creative in its execution. As others have mentioned, I would be very interested in seeing the other two Star Wars prequels given a similar treatment. I look forward to your future edits Rogue!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I avoided watching too many Episode II edits while I worked on my own, and I purposefully avoided this edit as I wanted to be able to simply sit back and enjoy it. Finally this morning I sat down with my two boys and took this in.

Normally I divide a review into various categories of video, audio etc.. but this is no ordinary edit.

Simply put, this is just hands-down, grin-inducing fun. Is it perfect? No. And it shouldn’t be. Rogue’s vision was perfect and his execution of that vision was even better. His use of the aged look, jump-cut splicing, audio imperfections etc allowed him to make editing choices simply not possible with a traditional edit.

The only comprable edit I can think of is The Man Behind the Mask’s War of the Stars. Never intended as a replacement edit, this is another example of the power and potential of fanediting as an artform. By ignoring the boundaries of creating a ‘traditional’ edit, Rogue has crafted something fun, original and FAST out of a completely pre-existing work of art (insert snicker here about referring to Attack of the Clones as art).

From a story standpoint, what’s truly fascinating about this edit is that it also works as a commentary on Episode II itself. The editor himself describes the chunks of deleted footage as contributing to plot holes, however really, that is not the case. The missing footage creates some continuity errors, but really, the critical plot points of Episode II are told in roughly a half hour. While the nuance of the story only makes sense if you’ve seen the original, a first-time watcher would get the basics of the story, and that is quite a feat.

So all-in-all, this is a resounding 10/10 for me. Amazing work Rogue, well-done.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For your viewing pleasure, this edit is now on vimeo:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome! Thanks for posting this in an easy-to-watch format, Rouge!

Superb job. First, as with Apollo 13, I love the "aging" done to the film. All the skips and crackles and general faded look - the film felt like a film from the 1970's or 1980's, like the original films did, and like the prequels themselves failed to do.

Second, few films benefit as much from a Super 8-ization as Attack of the Clones. Most of the unnecessary crap was cut out; only the exciting scenes were left. Anakin's whining is cut down to about a merciful four seconds or so near the beginning. The few dialogue scenes that remain - such as the diner scene with Anakin and Padme - are cut down to a mercifully tolerable state.

I love the cutting of the Shmi subplot. The film still makes perfect sense without Anakin's hunt for her. And, frankly, as a foreshadowing of the path to the dark side, it's a really terrible plot device. Let's be honest: Who among us wouldn't go nuts and get vengeance against a group of people who kidnapped, raped and murdered our mother? Most edits probably can't get rid of this subplot entirely, but for a Super 8 cut, it's great. And it annoys me so much anyway, I was glad to see this section gone.

But here's the best part: Everything still tracks emotionally. I wasn't sure on a couple of points if Apollo 13Atracked emotionally when cut down that much, although eventually I think it did. But you cut out tons of stuff from AotC, and yet still managed to get all the important stuff in there! The aforementioned scene with Anakin and Padme in the diner, where he says that he's "allowed to be with the people I love" - that's all we ever needed. We didn't need his creepy stalking; we didn't need their bad romantic dialogue; we didn't need rolling around in the field or discussions of "Well, maybe people should be made to obey" or any of that other nonsense. You captured everything we needed to know in one shot, Rouge. Well done! (The rest of it tracked very well, too.)

I also loved the occasional use of classic-era music. The chase through the asteroid field used some music that I couldn't quite place, but was certainly vintage. Then using the sarlacc pit fight music for the arena battle - that was pure genius! AotC has never felt more like an authentic Star Wars film until now.

I have one quibble. At one point, Obi-Wan is looking for the missing planet, but we don't know why (based on this cut, I mean). I would have included a bit of the scene where Obi-Wan finds out that the poison dart comes from Kamino. Yeah, I know, that means including part of that horrible '50s diner scene. But it makes more sense than Obi-Wan asking Yoda to help him find a planet when we don't know why he's looking for it. (In fact, the planet doesn't even need to be missing. The story makes perfect sense without it.)

But that is a very minor point. This is by far the best version of AotC that I've yet seen. Bravo on an edit that's terrific to fun to watch and makes perfect sense! A 10 out of 10. :)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much for the detailed review, Tom. :)

The chase through the asteroid field used some music that I couldn't quite place, but was certainly vintage.

Its from the AOTC end credit music, and part of the opening crawl music.

I have one quibble. At one point, Obi-Wan is looking for the missing planet, but we don't know why (based on this cut, I mean). I would have included a bit of the scene where Obi-Wan finds out that the poison dart comes from Kamino. Yeah, I know, that means including part of that horrible '50s diner scene. But it makes more sense than Obi-Wan asking Yoda to help him find a planet when we don't know why he's looking for it. (In fact, the planet doesn't even need to be missing. The story makes perfect sense without it.)

Agreed, Id like to clear these things up with a V2 sometime, if the original project files are still useable then maybe i can clarify this angle, the other thing is that Palpatine kinda shows up out of nowhere at the end wich works and doesnt work at the same time, theres a few things id like to improve if time and energy permits. I wouldn`t include the diner scene though, I dont much care for that scene, but i think TMBTM suggested that all is needed to smooth this angle out would be to change the shapeshifters subtitle to ``...the Kamino system`` Or something like that, or use the deleted scene with the droids in the jedi temple, but i do like the scene with yoda and the brats in the training room because it just feels right to have it in there to me.

Thanks again for the review!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh, I like the idea of changing Zam's subtitles. Anything is fine as long as there's some indication of why Obi-Wan is going to Kamino.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Several other edits use the Zam subtitle solution, iirc.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sort of, yes. :D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried to download this with sabnzbd and it seems that the file part09.rar only downloads. i tried at least 4 times with the same result, i even tried download with fix...

after it downloads the summary shows that 7205 articles are missing from the dl.

i would love to get a copy of this on dvd. can anyone help me?

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on a set of prequel fan edits, and am interested in this edit because it removes, like many things, Anakin slaughtering the Tuskens. Can somebody with a copy please either respond here or PM me with a description of how the editor did this? It may or may not be applicable for a "FanFix" edit, but I'd be interested to hear how Rouge-TheX tackled that part.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one's for you [MENTION=8853]JJE-187[/MENTION] , sorry for the delay:
jqjy.jpg

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k1euctwfp8rxjd8

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review Leeroy! :)

the edit doesn't have a lot of effects i've seen in other super 8 cuts done by rogue and to be honest i wish more was included

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you wish more was included? Do you mean more realistic old film effects, or more scenes from the movie? Just wondering, it might be helpful for when, if ever, I start work on a v2.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you clarify what you mean when you say you wish more was included? Do you mean more realistic old film effects, or more scenes from the movie? Just wondering, it might be helpful for when, if ever, I start work on a v2.

i mean the scratches and blotches that your Apollo 13 edit had. i like all the over things that are going on screen while i watch your edits though i can totally understand you not wanting to use them in all your super 8 edits as you may want them to look different from one another. but by no means did it effect my enjoyment or rating

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65xl.jpg

Goals/wish list:
Improve full screen framing
New color correction
Completely redo old film effects
Incorporate more OT music
Incorporate more OT sound effects
Improve Obi-Wan's search for kamino
Improve Count Dooku plot
Remove Jedi starfighter hyperspace ring
New Jedi starfighter shots
Change Zam Wessel speeder sound effect
Search bonus features for alternate shots/dialog that may be included
Beat up Jar Jar and take his sandwich
Make Anakin even less of a dink
Improve arena and clone vs. battle droid scenes
Improve opening and closing credit text/styling's

I'm in no rush for this, so no time frame for completion of the V2.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WIP clip featuring rough drafts of some of the planned improvements, audio is unrefined and some effects work need to be done, pass:fanedit

3:27, add "Bounty hunter scumbag" title
4:21 - 4:34, replace computer effects with new ones that lead Obi to Kamino
4:40-ish, remove Mace Windu
4:55-ish, remove hyperspace rings
5:02, redo jump to lightspeed shot
5:07-ish, remove c3p0
5:27-ish, remove hyperspace ring and extend beginning of shot to include starfighter dropping out of lightspeed
5:32, rework this shot to move framing up until top of computer is in the middle of the frame and computer display replaced, 'new' matte of Kamino outside window

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still working on this, I'll have to make a few more then animate the text and images in some way:
ytok.jpg

I should probably change '463 standard days' to just '463 days' since obviously 30 hours is a bit more than standard, I think.

Top Bottom