• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Animation Consecution (NOW LIVE)

When should the deadline be?

• Late May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid June

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Mid July

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid August

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
Cheers, Masirimso. It might be worth looking into slowing down the footage when he is looking at the toys (it wouldn't be noticeable. Then you could fade in right from that slowly, POV to memory is a strong cut IMO. The talking distracts slightly for me but go with what you think is most impactful. Either way, very nice work.

Masirimso17 said:
Thank you! But what do you mean by oddly touching? :D

Well, normally a kids movie with talking and moving toys wouldn't be the emotional coming of age type. And the music is amazing.

theryaney said:
Masirimso17 said:
Thank you! But what do you mean by oddly touching? :D

Well, normally a kids movie with talking and moving toys wouldn't be the emotional coming of age type. And the music is amazing.

Ah, I see. Then yes, I agree that the specific editing and music choice made it so that it's the emotional coming of age type. Though Toy Story on its own is really moving too, especially the sequels. Of course what else do you expect from Pixar?

At last, progress!

I have what I think is a workable short of The Secret of Kells. It's not quite ready - I need to shave about another 90 seconds from it (the easy way to do this would be to cut the sequence at the end showing animated versions of pages from the real Book of Kells, but I'd really like to keep those if possible) so I'll need to go over the whole thing to figure out some more places where I can reclaim precious seconds.

Then I need to buy a Blu-Ray copy and reconstruct the whole thing using a properly-ripped source (I'm currently working off a compressed MP4 ripped from my DVD copy, which I lent to a friend a while ago and thus can't easily rip). The audio will be the majority of the work there, but that's because I've worked from stereo rather than 5.1 audio.

I might even be done by the deadline for this consecution :D

My blu-ray copy of SoK has arrived, and - because of course - not only is it 24.000 fps instead of what I understood to be the standard of 23.976, it also doesn't match up to the length of the MP4 I made from my DVD that I've been working from. So I can't just replace the media (at least, not yet).

But on the plus side, I'll have an edit that can be SD or HD :)

I also realised that the easiest only-kind-of-cheating way to work around my runtime issue is to use the 45-60 seconds at the end as a convenient place to put my custom credits :D

I'm elbows deep in the process of rebuilding my edit using a proper 24FPS 5.1 audio source, but have realised that as my draft version was using a PAL source my runtime's going to be too long :(

Oh well, let's see what I end up with...

That One Guy said:
I'm elbows deep in the process of rebuilding my edit using a proper 24FPS 5.1 audio source, but have realised that as my draft version was using a PAL source my runtime's going to be too long :(

4% of 15-minutes (900-seconds) is only 36-seconds over the limit.

I decided to put Perfect Dream on the side and expand it into a proper fan-mix at somepoint, since I wouldn't have been able to get it done in time and I'm almost certain it would have been over the time limit. 

Instead I've been working on a short edit of the original Cult anime Vampire Hunter D. I've managed to really compress the story, cutting out unnecessary subplots and characters, trimming dialogue etc. and (IMO) turning it into something much more enjoyable - however, there's still a lot of trimming to be done. It's gone from approx. 80min down to 30min, and I always intended on going back through and tightening various scenes with overlong/repeated shots. I'm fairly confident I can get it just below 15, since it stalls for runtime throughout - whether I can get it done in the next 2 days though is another matter entirely... 

I'd really like to get it done in time, but if that fails I guess I'll just release it as a fan-fix on IFDB. 

ciplak-dus-alan-insanin-asil-amaci_996912.gif

It's PAL DVD source and 25fps atm. I'm aware that will need changing at somepoint (though I've no experience in doing it).

I'm a little under 2/3 of the way through rebuilding my edit using my HD source and 5.1 audio - while doing so has been fairly laborious, it's let me find another couple of scenes where I can shave off a few more seconds if I need to and also let me find cuts that needed fixing in my first draft.

I won't be finished tomorrow, but I'm hoping I'll be done by the end of the weekend. The only thing I need to do outside of recreating my existing cutlist is add the title and closing credits at the end - I've found a suitable font, but need to decide on placement and timing.

@The Scribbling Man - PAL-to-NTSC is more straightforward than you might think - on the audio front you can use Audacity's "Change speed" effect with -4.096 as the percentage change and on the video front you can use VirtualDub or Avisynth to do the resizing and framerate changes.

Well the August 17th deadline is approaching, and it appears that we're all still working on our edits. Shall we push it back again?

Speaking of which, I just edited down the Fry's dog episode of Futurama down to 14:43 without the credits or intro. Might be able to get it down further.

Yeah, I'm seeing some more shorts in progress, and I believe we currently only have 3 official and 1 bonus, which is a bit of a short list. September 17 then?

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Got a rough version of my Futurama idea. Needs some audio fixes but I'd like to know some thoughts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ts-tdhSEYP__rCnm1vmetzMnvqRUF_Dj/view?usp=sharing 

Note: Downloading has been disabled for this file, streaming only.

I was going to use a little of that episode if I went through with my idea, but I still haven't started and am not sure I can do it before the deadline if that's still around so carry on sir. If the deadline is extended and I choose to participate I won't do a Futurama thing. I have a few other options.

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Got a rough version of my Futurama idea. 

That episode is tragic :(

I wouldn't be able to say what's been cut in terms of content, but it seems to work and flow fine narratively (apart from one instance mentioned below), and it generally seems more consistent in terms of humour from what I remember. 

Needs some audio fixes but I'd like to know some thoughts

I did pick up on some technical hitches. I don't know which ones you're aware of, so I'll just share all my findings:

• I think there might have been a flash frame at around 0:48
  • There are audio jumps @ 02:21/22, 04:21, 10:30, 11:40
  • 02:49 - there's a noticeable jump in the music while Fry is dancing 
  • I also think there may have been too much cut @ 11:40. Benders remorse seems rushed. 
  • 12:57 - you can hear bender say "OK" even though he's not in shot, and then it's suddenly cut off by the next scene. 

Also, I don't know if it's just me or if the original audio is like this, but it sounds like there's an unusual amount of low end in the mix. It's very bassy through my headphones and is also pretty muffled on my phone speakers, which are normally quite tinny.

That will work, other than what Scrib has mentioned, you could also add your own titles and credits. :)

Used the feedback to fix up all the problems, should be in tip-top shape now. Doesn't seem like there will be much room for extra title cards or credits though Ryan as it'll push it over the 15 minute limit. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wi870aNGZSbL2HW9Uf6YZ6jaWH_AgD_v/view?usp=sharing 

If I can be bothered, I'll make a cutlist with every little trim for those who are curious how I cut about a third of the episode out.

Family visits and a cold have eaten into the time I had for working on my entry this week; I'm most of the way done with it, but I still need to shave off another 45-60 seconds to get it back under the 15-minute mark. And add a title and brief credits, which I don't think will take too long.

Unfortunately, I'm travelling for two weeks starting tomorrow so mid-September will still be a tight cut-off point for me. But I'll see what I can do.

Since I haven't shared anything of my project yet, here's a screenshot of my most-of-the-way-complete timeline:
Project_timeline.png

^^^^Looks epic! There's something very satisfying about the way a well used timeline looks.

I'm also unlikely to make the deadline, and I wouldn't wait up for me either. My health is very bad atm and I'm having to significantly reduce my time on the computer. 

If I happen to get it done in time - great! If not, I'll release it seperately. I have no way of knowing when I'll be back up and running with any of my projects atm though.

Oh I can never get my timeline to look that pretty! It's great for making the guy I work for think what I'm doing is more complicated than it is, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom