• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Animation Consecution (NOW LIVE)

When should the deadline be?

• Late May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid June

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Mid July

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid August

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
theryaney said:
Any updates, fellow editors?

I've been travelling with no access to an editing computer for most of September but I'm home now and should be able to get the remaining work for my edit done over the next few days. I'm planning on spending a good chunk of Saturday on it which will hopefully be enough to get it done.

I just bought all of Rick and Morty on Blu-ray and might have a new idea cooking. Nothing more though.

I have managed to find enough bits to get my edit down to a 15-minute runtime. I'll be exporting it for a test watch shortly, and with luck I'll be able to submit before the week is done.

I need to revisit some of the settings for my edit and re-export the audio, as some of the channels aren't included regardless of whether I export as stereo or 5.1. I'll try and do this tonight.

While I think of it, what's the preferred format for submissions? M2v and ac3 or something else?

That One Guy said:
I need to revisit some of the settings for my edit and re-export the audio, as some of the channels aren't included regardless of whether I export as stereo or 5.1. I'll try and do this tonight.

While I think of it, what's the preferred format for submissions? M2v and ac3 or something else?

MP4 or MKV will work. :)

I've sorted out the issue I was having with audio export and have watched my edit. There are a couple of tweaks I will make today and I should hopefully be ready to submit before the weekend is out :)

Sorry for the delay - there was one niggling issue I was trying to fix with a transition I'd had to insert between scenes in my edit. I'm happy with the final version of it now so it's rendering for final approval and should be submitted tomorrow.

I've got to admit, I'm really glad that we've had an animation consecution project but it has been really tough to find workable ideas. I'd originally had optimistic notions of submitting more than one entry, but at this point I think I'm lucky to have been able to get a single submission to a state I'm happy with...

It is, just that the current state is slow moving. I'm hoping more editors can join in, so far there's only 4 approved and 1 bonus shorts if I counted correctly. However, if the new year passes and no more contributions, we might just go ahead with what we have.

I actually noticed the lack of contributions to this project and got it into my head to make another short to try and buff up the collection.

This one comes from a somewhat more popular source material with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I sourced it from the region 2 blu rays and the OVA series (which cost about as much as the main series for some odd reason). I also made use of the music from the original Fullmetal Alchemist soundtrack, and raided the BBC sound library for background noise when the Center Track just couldn't cover it.

I call it The Gods of War. It focuses on the soldiers fighting in the Ishvalan Civil War, and the guilt they feel over the atrocities they're ordered to commit on a daily basis. The best bits at the start and the end are with Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes, but we also have a bit of exposition from Riza Hawkeye, and a truncated version of Kimblee's speech to her.

My only problem is that it's thirty five seconds over and I just can't bring myself to cut it down.

I'm exporting a rough draft right now which I'll be previewing with a few of my friends, but I'll be happy to share it if anybody's interested. Perhaps in this review phase I'll find those unnecessary thirty-odd seconds I can pair away.

EDIT: Turns out my timeline was just knackered. I'm actually well under the time limit.

Oh, you're still accepting new editors? I thought it was closed, clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'd like to join and contribute. Though I don't believe any animated sources I have are in an HD form, hopefully that's not too much of a problem here...

Mr. Blue said:
I actually noticed the lack of contributions to this project and got it into my head to make another short to try and buff up the collection.

Sounds interesting. At this point, we'll just allow shorts somewhere around to the 15:00 runtime so a little longer would be fine.

jrWHAG42 said:
Oh, you're still accepting new editors? I thought it was closed, clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'd like to join and contribute. Though I don't believe any animated sources I have are in an HD form, hopefully that's not too much of a problem here...

Sure, an SD source is valid. 

This is still an ongoing project. The deadline was just to encourage people to work on shorts, but the current state of the project makes us a little desperate, so it basically doesn't matter much anymore.

theryaney said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Sure, an SD source is valid. 

This is still an ongoing project. The deadline was just to encourage people to work on shorts, but the current state of the project makes us a little desperate, so it basically doesn't matter much anymore.

Count me in then!

Sounds interesting. At this point, we'll just allow shorts somewhere around to the 15:00 runtime so a little longer would be fine.

Actually, it turns out there was a mix up with my timeline that I was just too tired to notice at the time.

Around about four minutes into the runtime I had a different idea for where to take the short and decided to explore that idea in a subsequence so I wouldn't lose what I had so far. In the end I wound up liking my alternate approach much better and didn't even notice that the subsequence timecode started from its position in the original sequence.

The actual runtime so far is just 11:04. No wonder I couldn't bring myself to cut it down. In fact, I'm actually thinking about expanding it depending on the feedback I recieve.

I love FMA, though haven't checked out Brotherhood yet. Excited for your short nonetheless.

Now, say I wanted to utilize a music video that was uploaded to YouTube, but isn't available to purchase whatsoever, would I be allowed to use a copy download from YouTube as long as it's not available anywhere else?

jrWHAG42 said:
I love FMA, though haven't checked out Brotherhood yet. Excited for your short nonetheless.

Now, say I wanted to utilize a music video that was uploaded to YouTube, but isn't available to purchase whatsoever, would I be allowed to use a copy download from YouTube as long as it's not available anywhere else?

I ended up getting an answer to this, and the answer was no. I don't know if I should come up with another idea, or if it's far too late.

Adabisi said:
Is this project still alive?

I hope so!

I think there was some rampant optimism near the start about how long it might reasonably take, and then it sort of...died off. I'd still like to see it finished up, and not just because I put together a short for it :D

My project went on hold when I got ill, and then I sort of forgot about it. I should get back on it!

I've still got my two shorts, and I'm honestly considering putting together another one. Just need an idea and I'll be off to the races.

Back
Top Bottom