• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Animation Consecution (NOW LIVE)

When should the deadline be?

• Late May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid June

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Mid July

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid August

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
I'm working on a Berserk edit entitled Flight of the Raider using the first two Golden Age films. The primary focus is on Guts' farewell after the battle of Doldrey, with flashbacks to his and Griffith's first duel, along with four tracks from the Hirasawa score (Behelit, Ghosts, Forces, and Gattsu).
I have a rough version finished already, clocking in at just a hair short of 14 minutes (credits included), but I'm iffy about it. I know it's seriously early in the game, even for the original deadline, but as soon as I found this thread I knew I had to take part and dove head first into it. Even if it is a compression piece, I had endless fun inserting that kickass score into the films, and I was able to meet the time limit while still conveying the precise tone I was hoping to achieve. However, due to its unorthodox story structure, and my obvious lack of objectivity, I'm ultimately unsure of how coherent it is as a standalone piece.
If anyone here is up to take this rough cut for a test drive, please PM me for details.

Mr. Blue said:
I'm working on a Berserk edit entitled Flight of the Raider using the first two Golden Age films. The primary focus is on Guts' farewell after the battle of Doldrey, with flashbacks to his and Griffith's first duel, along with four tracks from the Hirasawa score (Behelit, Ghosts, Forces, and Gattsu).

I've never heard of any of the above, it sounds very confusing.

addiesin said:
Mr. Blue said:

I think Beserk is an anime series, isn't it? Never watched it.

The Scribbling Man said:
addiesin said:

I think Beserk is an anime series, isn't it? Never watched it.

I'm deeply disappointed with the both of you. 

There was a Berserk anime in 1997 (featuring a kickass score by Sussumu Hirasawa) which was remade into a trilogy of animated films in 2011. Both cover a period in the still ongoing manga referred to as The Golden Age. There was also a 2016 series, but that one's shit, so we won't talk about it here.

Griffith is the mysterious and charismatic leader of a mercenary group called the Band of the Hawk, where Guts, our main character, acts as the captain of their raiders. 

My edit covers how they came together, a brief overview of Guts' time with the Hawks, and how his relationship with Griffith eventually led to his eventual departure.
It's a lot to fit into 14 minutes, which was why I wanted to test drive it. I've shown it around to a couple of friends, and their reaction has been quite positive, but I wanted feedback from some of you guys before I could really be confident.

Mr. Blue said:
I'm deeply disappointed with the both of you. 
Meh. I don't enjoy much anime, and as a result, I don't familiarize myself with the culture.

There was a Berserk anime in 1997 (featuring a kickass score by Sussumu Hirasawa) which was remade into a trilogy of animated films in 2011. Both cover a period in the still ongoing manga referred to as The Golden Age. There was also a 2016 series, but that one's shit, so we won't talk about it here.

Griffith is the mysterious and charismatic leader of a mercenary group called the Band of the Hawk, where Guts, our main character, acts as the captain of their raiders. 

My edit covers how they came together, a brief overview of Guts' time with the Hawks, and how his relationship with Griffith eventually led to his eventual departure.
It's a lot to fit into 14 minutes, which was why I wanted to test drive it. I've shown it around to a couple of friends, and their reaction has been quite positive, but I wanted feedback from some of you guys before I could really be confident.
I see. Well, hopefully someone else here is familiar enough with the source to help out. Good luck!

If it's not this "Berserk" I don't care.

ClumsyAstonishingAdeliepenguin-max-1mb.gif

TM2YC said:
The thought had crossed my mind but I'm not keen on all the soundFX and music work needed right now (plus lightsaber roto work). Please somebody else have a go.

I did purchase Kubo, about a month ago (still haven't opened it though), for this consecution. Perhaps this will be my inspiration :)

[img=552x307]https://theryaney.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/artboard-copy-100.png[/img]

Here is my review of @"jswert123456"'s short, “Victor and Sparky” for the Animation Consecution. i considered posting in his thread, but felt that that should be for his feature length edit.

It’s a pretty well done short, the narrative stays clear, although it lacks a satisfying ending. The ending is just the dog is revived. I would’ve liked maybe some footage of Sparky playing with Victor again, you know, walking around. Perhaps through stills, during the credits. But it still is a nice ending, so it isn’t a big problem. The current ending could work.

Other than that, I say minor tweaks for this short.

The tweaks are:
At 03:59, the transition from the graveyard to the classroom needs to be improved, it’s very noticeable.
At 04:47, the transition again from the classroom to the graveyard is very noticeable 

Overall, a nice little short, and will be included in this consecution. Well done, @"jswert123456"!

thanks for the great review.
i very much apreciate the kind words.
and i will be tweaking the edit.

Better, but how about for the last transition, only crossfading the music but not the video? I think the previous version flows better.

i think my best option right now, to lessen any confusion
is to go back to the start and take my time.

One of my ideas for the consecution had been a Ryu & Ken focused version of the Street Fighter 2 animated movie, which I am still fond of despite its shortcomings (not least because, compared to the live-action film, it's a masterpiece).

Unfortunately, as I discovered on ripping my DVD copy, I have a fairly old print of the DVD which appears to have a wonky transfer. It's interlaced, as you'd expect from a PAL release, but also has numerous duplicate frames of the sort you'd expect if someone took a telecine'd 30fps copy and converted that to 25 fps. I've spent a bit of time trying to see if I can get it into a usable state, but ultimately I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Next up I'm going to see if I knock something together from Ninja Scroll, although I won't be entirely surprised if that DVD also has similar issues...

EDIT: Nope, same sort of issues there too. Reading around this seems to have been fairly common in the earlier days of anime releases to Western countries, and while the Blu Ray versions may not have the issue I'm not sure I feel like paying for the film a second time just because the production or distribution company wet the bed with encoding the previous release. So that's me moving on to either The Illusionist or the Fleischer Studios Superman shorts for ideas now...

The last 6 weeks or so have been surprisingly busy for me IRL so I've done nothing more of note with my efforts for the Consecution - how is everyone else doing? I'm guessing  (hoping :D) the lack of updates means the deadline will be pushed back...

Oh, man. Completely neglected this! Guess I'll get cracking tomorrow...

That One Guy said:
The last 6 weeks or so have been surprisingly busy for me IRL so I've done nothing more of note with my efforts for the Consecution - how is everyone else doing? I'm guessing  (hoping :D) the lack of updates means the deadline will be pushed back...

ditto

My Berserk edit is still just as ready as ever. I've shared it with a couple of my friends, and they've all had universally good things to say about it, with one even outright rejecting any proposed fixes and alterations, excepting only the shortening of one title card. So that's exciting...

...if only anyone here knew about Berserk.
latest

I myself have not done anything except some quick cuts. (last year!) It's also been neglected. 

There's a chance the deadline will be pushed back, if others also haven't done anything at all. :D

Back
Top Bottom