• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alternate cuts of movies you would love to see

YUP...2001

I saw it in 70mm when it came out...(at the premier theatre)....3 times before it went on general release (I'm that old)...

A quick summary of the missing 17 mins as follows...
  • Some shots from the "Dawn of Man" sequence were removed, and a new scene was inserted where an ape pauses with the bone it is about to use as a tool. The new scene was a low-angle shot of the monolith, done in order to portray and clarify the connection between the man-ape using the tool and the monolith.
  • Some shots of Frank Poole jogging in the centrifuge were removed.
  • An entire sequence of several shots in which Dave Bowman searches for the replacement antenna part in storage was removed (this I recall CLEAR AS DAY)
  • A scene where HAL severs radio communication between the "Discovery" and Poole's pod before killing him was removed. This scene explains a line that stayed in the film in which Bowman addresses HAL on the subject.
  • Some shots of Poole's space walk before he is killed were removed.
  • Additional discussion with the Russians on the space station (which again I recall)
  • The stargate sequence was longer (which I also recall coz, well I was a kid and it just went on forever!!!!!!!!)

Despite this article, I recall Robert Harris (I think) confirming the material does in fact still exist.

Personally, coz there is money in it, I think one day we will see it albeit downgraded delibertaly (maybe to B&W)...to prevent...well YOU KNOW WHAT!!!

oqa5uj3vmte51.jpg

Man I’d love to see an extended cut of 2001.
Well, we have Soderberg's alternate (shorter) take I guess....(withdrawn after WB and Kubrick estate "politely" asked....)
;)

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, but I wanna learn about some lost and rumored cuts of films we know exist. Or could exist: What are some that you guys know of? Particularly in animation and sci-fi?

Ones I have heard of:

Batman Forever The Schumacher Cut
Exodus Gods & Kings rumored 4hr cut
Blade Runner rumored 4hr workprint (aka the 8th cut)
Suicide Squad - Ayer Cut
The Flash - 4HR Cut?
Fantastic Four Trank Cut

But any others?
I should also add if anyone knows of official documentaries on the cuts that exist, providing a source to that would be great.

Last edited:
Terence Malick's first cut of The Thin Red Line was five hours long and the editing process was an absolute massacre.

Billy Bob Thornton (as the narrator), Mickey Rourke, Lukas Haas, and Bill Pullman's roles were removed completely. Adrien Brody went from the lead character to about five minutes of screentime (something he didn't discover until he went to an early screening). George Clooney and John Travolta had about 90% of their scenes cut.

Christopher Columbus confirmed in 2015 that there's an R-rated cut of Mrs. Doubtfire.

And we can't forget the infamous David Ayer cut of Suicide Squad... though anybody who has read the script pages from the scenes that were removed would probably like to forget them.

Last edited:
Hellraiser 4's original cut is my holy grail (or white whale, not sure which analogy is more fitting). Basically, director Kevin Yagher made this film, then Miramax complained that Pinhead doesn't show up early enough. Yagher recut it multiple times to appease them, Miramax demanded reshoots. Yagher quit, Miramax brought in a new director, in the end Yagher chose to go uncredited for the final product.
One of Yagher's attempts at recutting the film has been leaked (I think it might even have an official release in Germany?), it's the closest thing we have, but it's not the complete original vision. You can find a fan reconstruction on youtube, using the theatrical bluray, the workprint, narrated still images, and one sequence is animated using The Sims.

Hellraiser 4's original cut is my holy grail (or white whale, not sure which analogy is more fitting). Basically, director Kevin Yagher made this film, then Miramax complained that Pinhead doesn't show up early enough. Yagher recut it multiple times to appease them, Miramax demanded reshoots. Yagher quit, Miramax brought in a new director, in the end Yagher chose to go uncredited for the final product.
One of Yagher's attempts at recutting the film has been leaked (I think it might even have an official release in Germany?), it's the closest thing we have, but it's not the complete original vision. You can find a fan reconstruction on youtube, using the theatrical bluray, the workprint, narrated still images, and one sequence is animated using The Sims.
A complete original vision isn't possible because not everything from the original script was filmed, and Arrow is releasing an Unseen workprint as part of a Hellraiser 1-4 collection next month. https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-...-about-the-version-arrow-video-has-unearthed/

Terence Malick's first cut of The Thin Red Line was five hours long and the editing process was an absolute massacre.

Billy Bob Thornton (as the narrator), Mickey Rourke, Lukas Haas, and Bill Pullman's roles were removed completely. Adrien Brody went from the lead character to about five minutes of screentime (something he didn't discover until he went to an early screening). George Clooney and John Travolta had about 90% of their scenes cut.

Christopher Columbus confirmed in 2015 that there's an R-rated cut of Mrs. Doubtfire.

And we can't forget the infamous David Ayer cut of Suicide Squad... though anybody who has read the script pages from the scenes that were removed would probably like to forget them.
What was so bad about the Ayer script pages (I haven't read them myself)?

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, but I wanna learn about some lost and rumored cuts of films we know exist. Or could exist: What are some that you guys know of? Particularly in animation and sci-fi?

Ones I have heard of:

Batman Forever The Schumacher Cut
Exodus Gods & Kings rumored 4hr cut
Blade Runner rumored 4hr workprint (aka the 8th cut)
Suicide Squad - Ayer Cut
The Flash - 4HR Cut?
Fantastic Four Trank Cut

But any others?
I should also add if anyone knows of official documentaries on the cuts that exist, providing a source to that would be great.
I would love to see all those versions of those movies.

What was so bad about the Ayer script pages (I haven't read them myself)?
They're just more of the trite, edgelord stuff that permeated the theatrical cut, only most of it is cut Joker scenes. Ayer continues to assert to this day that a genius Jared Leto performance was left on the cutting room floor, but given what we saw in Suicide Squad and Zack Snyder's Justice League I don't think there's much of a case.

I'd love to watch the last cut of The Rise of Skywalker that JJ Abrams supposedly approved of which was 2:37 in early December. Rumor has it Disney then forced them to cut it down to 2:22. Allegedly, the first act of the movie was arranged completely differently.

I'd love to watch the last cut of The Rise of Skywalker that JJ Abrams supposedly approved of which was 2:37 in early December. Rumor has it Disney then forced them to cut it down to 2:22. Allegedly, the first act of the movie was arranged completely differently.
All that extra footage would certainly benefit Ascendant!

I think the JJ cut might just be a rumor at least the 3 hour cut.
There is some circumstantial evidence to back this up, for instance the soundtrack cue sheet has the track arranged in their 'original' order before all the re arranging happened. Also the Art Of book was recalled last minute and reprinted, and ended up removing lots of stuff from the first act. Look up "the Oracle", this was meant to guide Kylo Ren towards Vader's Castle, where he finds the wayfinder. There were also set pictures of Hux and Kylo Ren on Mustafar together with Vader's Castle in the background. This was all cut and Kylo simply just got the wayfinder now

I mean it would be interesting to see but it seems to me that list fan edits of RoS heavily cut the beginning to move it along even quicker.

Back
Top Bottom