• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alternate cuts of movies you would love to see

TM2YC said:
Duragizer said:
The original 3-hour cut of Stargate where Ra was a human underlord to an alien master.

Haven't heard of that one. Info?

If you listen to the DVD commentary, Devlin/Emmerich reveal that Ra was made an alien in post-production, as inital audience reactions to the character in test screenings were lukewarm. The story of the 3-hour cut is a little more apocryphal; there's apparently a Devlin interview in an issue of Sci-Fi Universe magazine from '95 which makes mention of it, but I've never read the interview in question and don't know how much of it may be fake news. But having read the film novelization and watched the promo reel, I know there were scenes/subplots written/shot for the movie that never made it into either the theatrical or director's cuts.

jrWHAG42 said:
flaminio said:
revel911 said:
I want the original Hulk cut with all of Norton's writing. I bet it's long-winded, but phenomenal.

Tomahawk's fan-edit is pretty close to this. I won't go so far to say it's phenomenal, but it is significantly better than the theatrical release.

I'd say it's phenomenal

That's why I want to see a HD release of the whole thing because I think these edits are VASTLY superior as it gives more justification to Tim Roth's character and Bruce's inner-demons.

I’m not sure I actually want to see it, but I wonder if the eight hour cut of Malick’s Song to Song would save it at all.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m not sure I actually want to see it, but I wonder if the eight hour cut of Malick’s Song to Song would save it at all.

Oh yeah, Malick! I'd love to seen the originally planned and filmed cut of 'The Thin Red Line' where Adrien Brody was the central role who "carried the film", before the decision was taken to edit him down to two lines and to let him find out when he sat down to watch a press screening after promoting the film.

I recently watched the 1980's movie Cobra, which was only 87 minutes. Originally it was over 2 hours long, but it had to be cut down for extra screenings and to avoid getting an X-rating. Apparently there's a workprint with the deleted material somewhere out there, but I've had no luck finding it.

Somebody complied all the extra footage from the extended TV version, but there's still a ton of footage missing: 

Desperado was awesome, but the censorship was obvious (e.g. the entire final fight was removed) and the uncut version has never been released.

I'd kill to see any of these:

*Spider-Man 3 - Over-3-Hours Pre-Reshoots Cut: I have the official novelization and every time I read it, it makes me wish even more for the release of the on-screen version of what the movie originally was. Apart from having a lot of deleted/alternate scenes, it also had some scenes that were swapped for the theatrical in a different place than they originally were in. Other than the novelization, the recent-ish Editor's Cut, being an earlier cut, somewhat gives us an idea by having scenes in their intended place and some previously unreleased deleted/alternate scenes, but it still had the reshoot scenes from the final film, minus some that were missing.
While I liked the final film, it's undeniable that it having to develop 3 villains and other stuff in only 2 hours hurt the movie. I think by releasing the original cut they would give the movie its redemption and would fix it by giving all the characters the screentime they deserve and improve the pacing. I would love to see all the scenes with Dr. Wallce (played by Adrian Lester), the original construction site fights, and the Venom death with Eddie's skeleton. And I wouldn't mind scenes like May visiting Peter or Mr. Ditkovich's "You're a good woman" missing knowing they weren't originally part of the story.

*The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Marc Webb's Longer Pre-Reshoots Cut: Saying that the final film is a mess is like saying the sky is blue and that water is wet. I liked the first TASM just fine despite its problems and was hoping to see more like it, but of course, now we know that Sony ruined Marc Webb's vision.
I want to see, amongst other things, the scenes with Peter and Harry, the scenes with Mary Jane, the Peter vs. Green Goblin fight after Gwen's death, and, obviously, the absence of the Sony-shoved Sinister Six teases (with us having MCU Spider-Man today, who cares about that stuff missing?).

*Batman Forever - Joel Schumacher's Original, Darker 170min Cut: This was not one of my favorite Batman movies growing up, but now I appreciate it a lot and actually like it.
To honor him, they should release the version of this movie that Schumacher originally made before it was ordered for a lot of scenes to be deleted and others to be re-done so the film would be more family-friendly.

Last edited:
Jodorowsky's version of Dune

David Lynch's Dune where he was able to do his own cut without any interference

Dune the fan film trilogy by Spanish fanfilm group Mediteatro. It was nearly complete before the Frank Herbert estate sued.

Star Trek Axanar. Seeing how they just renewed Alex Kurtzman's contract for another 5 years, it would be nice to see this fan project made in it's original feature length by people that actually like Trek.

- The original David Lynch's intended cut for Dune (probably that would run for 200 minutes, some scenes like were filmed, Beast Rabban in the bath, Paul and Chani's Love Scene, a much, much longer Water of Life scene, the preperation for Jessica's Water of Life ceremony, the birth of Alia, extended Caladan scenes, the awaiting the outcome of Jessica's Water Of Life, Fremen in Sound Square training, Beast Rabban In The Desert and more extended scenes.

- A restored version of the 5 hour Apocalypse Now cut

- The 5 hour version of Heaven's Gate

- Event Horizon 130 minute cut

- Greed, the full 9 hour cut

Top of my list (these cuts did exist, only they're presumed to be more than lost):

- The original preview cut of 1925's Phantom of the Opera, closer to the novel.

- The original cut of 1931's Dracula. What we have now is the trimmed down mid-30s re-release version.

- James Whale's original cut of Bride of Frankenstein, with the extended subplot centered on my namesake Dwight Frye and the "everybody dies" ending.

- The roadshow version of Billy Wilder's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

- The real Don Quixote by Orson Welles, not the Jess Franco abomination. It is known that Welles did cut one version, which then got lost in a plane trip.

- And of course, the full David Lynch Dune.

I found out that there's a much longer cut of George Romero's Martin, I'd love to see that.

The original 3½-hour cut of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I also just remembered the 90's live-action Street Fighter was apparently originally more violent and had special moves from the games, before they were removed to make it family friendly.

If only a major blu-ray distributor like Arrow or Shout Factory could read this thread and see if they could get any of these released!

I also just remembered the 90's live-action Street Fighter was apparently originally more violent and had special moves from the games, before they were removed to make it family friendly.

If only a major blu-ray distributor like Arrow or Shout Factory could read this thread and see if they could get any of these released!
Try Cliffhanger. That was butchered beyond belief!

-I really wish for the original 2-hour X-rated cut of Cobra (1986). I really hope Stallone recutting his old works wasn't just a one-time thing because after the release of Rocky IV's director's cut last year, Cobra really needs the same treatment next.

-The original 134-minute cut of Superman IV is something I want to see because not only does the final cut of the film have clear continuity errors in both footage and music, but also because it was a passion project and Christopher Reeve's last work as Superman deserves justice.

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but I'd very much like to see the complete director's cut of Freddy vs. Jason (original opening, original ending, original Jason nightmare, and various bits cut from all 3 acts), and the practical FX cut of 2011's The Thing. I really like that film, probably more than most, mainly because I can overlook bad CG. Many can't, especially in horror, and I get that.

per the new thread, I'd like to start with 2001 with the removed material AND In The Heat of The Night, which has some big narrative gaps that are really obvious to the viewer if you focus. It would seem a lot of exposition went into the trash can....

Not quite the same rationale I grant you, since this thread is a wish list and the below is "STUFF OBVIOUSLY MISSING"...but thought I would pipe in with here as well since I would love to see that.

Back
Top Bottom