• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alien 5 confirmed by 20th Century Fox - Ripley's back.

Eh, I don't trust Blomkamp to make anything more than a decent rehash of Aliens at best, Tron Legacy-style, and I enjoyed the hell out of Prometheus as a bonkers popcorn flick, so I'm fairly okay with this. Maybe Blomkamp can use the extra time to come up with a good script. :p

I don't know to go whee or shrug.
Blomkamp strikes me as a one-trick pony.
District 9 was a surprise, enjoyable hit.
Chappie apparently did not do so well (I've not gotten around to watching it),
and Elysium was preachy and likewise poorly received. (sidenote - Aztek, how's that Bone-Cut edit coming?)
I am more interested in Prometheus over another Alien installment.
I'm tired of committee approved, rehashed formula.
Would just prefer fresher material.

I thought Chappie was really good actually, and I for the most part enjoyed Elysium. I have much more faith in an Alien film from him than something more from Scott. Prometheus was a stupid mess. It had great visuals (which isn't hard if you are dabbling in the Alien franchise), but it was dumb. I haven't seen the Martian yet, which has gotten nice reviews, but it's been a loooooong time since I've seen a Ridley Scott film that was decent.

You know, I'm disappointed that this has been put on hold, but Blomkamp lost some points in my book this year with Chappie, and Scott gained some with The Martian. Also, I'm one of those crazy people who actually like Prometheus and I think there's potential there for a maybe great sequel. At the very least we'll get to see more of Fassbender's David and who could complain about that.

Hopefully we'll see Ripley return at some point.

really? really? Am I supposed to think it's cute if you add a winky face? Come on Gaith, lighten up already.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I thought Chappie was really good actually, and I for the most part enjoyed Elysium.

^ This. I was probably just as excited to see Blomkamp update the Colonial marine designs and weaponry, as I was to see Hicks again.

ThrowgnCpr said:
really? really? Am I supposed to think it's cute if you add a winky face? Come on Gaith, lighten up already.
The winky face is me being light; it's me mocking my own offense-taking. But what you're really saying is "don't call me out when I'm a dick to you for no reason." Answer: Nope! :)

Gaith said:
The winky face is me being light; it's me mocking my own offense-taking. But what you're really saying is "don't call me out when I'm a dick to you for no reason." Answer: Nope! :)

I was far from being a dick, which is why I suggested being light. If you want me to be a dick, trust me, that can be arranged. My original post was just a light-hearted comment on the fact that I actually enjoy that you and I have seemingly opposite tastes in film. Yes, everyone has different opinions. I rather enjoy that. It makes for more interesting discussion. To be a dick, as you so implied, I could have said something like:

You enjoyed Prometheus? WTF is wrong with you? You are so dumb!

But I didn't, because that would be silly. Stop taking offense when people aren't actually offending you.

Throw, in all honesty, you do give Gaith a lot of shit publicly, when all he's doing is stating his opinions.

Neglify said:
Throw, in all honesty, you do give Gaith a lot of shit publicly, when all he's doing is stating his opinions.

I gave him a lot of shit for the BTTF comment, because that was deserved. But if it makes you happy, I'll just shut up.

You see Fox! This is what Prometheus 2 does to people!

Throw, I took that to mean you were saying I had a consistently sh*tty taste in /judgment of movies, and I think that was a fair assumption on my part given that I often have offbeat tastes even by this forum's standards. But since you weren't trying to be a dick, I apologize. My bad!

Gaith said:
Throw, I took that to mean you were saying I had a consistently sh*tty taste in /judgment of movies, and I think that was a fair assumption on my part given that I often have offbeat tastes even by this forum's standards. But since you weren't trying to be a dick, I apologize. My bad!

The internet is hard. Emoticons can only go so far... and sometimes they have the opposite effect. I honestly meant that you have consistently opposite taste, not bad taste. While there is bad art, music/art/film is generally subjective. As long as there is a reasonable explanation for said preference, which you clearly regularly demonstrate, then it all makes for good discussion. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Let's try to avoid playing this game:

office-space-jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

and LOL, thanks spence for breaking any perceived tension!

Not a fan of emoticons myself.
Appreciate humor, though jesting can blunder into faux pas in a breath.

Sigourney is only two years younger than Arnold.
I hear "Ripley's back!" the same way I heard, "Arnie's back!"
Old for the role.

I predict in the future, though, flawless CGI versions of stars at their peak will helm movies.
Finally get a new Bond with a 33 year old Connery again.

Vultural said:
Sigourney is only two years younger than Arnold.
I hear "Ripley's back!" the same way I heard, "Arnie's back!"
Old for the role.

Yeah, this worries me too, although it is somewhat more plausible than Arnie's return to the terminator role (I still haven't watched Genysis, Genesis? Gynesis?lol, so please save the explanations for now).

A few differences... Sigourney can really act which can make up for a lot credibility wise, she has aged very gracefully and Ripley isn't primarily a physical character, she has inner strength.

Not to re-fan the fire here, but I thought the Prometheus fanedits were pretty darn good. I mean not great, still weird things I can't figure out like how come there are so many different varieties of alien and even some that transform a person. Like they couldn't quite figure out where to go with it, or thought you needed a new type of alien each time to keep it interesting. But still, some interesting ideas, excellent visuals, some OK acting. I think I'm game for Prometheus 2, if done right, but certainly a lot of possibility for it to be like Highlander 2.

spence said:
This is so disappointing. I was really looking forward to this film and literally could not give a lesser s**t about a sequel to Prometheus, which I still maintain is one of the worst and most disappointing film experiences I've ever had.
MORE disappointing than Episode 1?? My eye is still twitching and I'm needing a whole lotta serious therapy after that one. I've booked for Episode 7 (10am on 16th Dec Woohoo!) - but that woohoo is tinged with concern.....
Re Prometheus - what a dud. Number 2? Who cares
Alien again... hmm maybe. Blomkamp. Hmm. Chappie was big on style and had some great ideas and then went nowhere with them... so if Blomkamps Alien never arrives I wouldn't exactly weep into my porridge each morning.
(If Blomkamp wants a primer on exploring AI concepts in a movie *brilliantly* he could watch Ex Machina. Amazing movie with a perfect ending. Really makes you think!)

Back
Top Bottom