• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Alien 5 confirmed by 20th Century Fox - Ripley's back.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Sigourney said there is a fork in the road. One path leads to A3 and 4 the other leads to the new A"5" movie. This totaly sounds like they at least will try to give the audience an explanation to why we can ignore A3 and A4, and that's all i'm asking for.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
sounds like they at least will try to give the audience an explanation to why we can ignore A3 and A4

30936.jpg

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see what you did there TM2YC.  Nice.  :)

TMBTM, I'm not so sure, but I guess it's down to how you interpret Sigourney's description.  Her exact words on the matter were "It's just as if, you know, the path forks and one direction goes off to three and four and another direction goes off to Neill's movie" - which I reckon could just be her way of 'expressing' how everyone can simply 'choose' whichever follow-up to ALIENS they prefer.  

But I could be wrong, and there may indeed be some kind of 'in-the-movie-explanation' planned about how things turn out differently.   If that's the case, I wonder if it will be the 'obvious' one...and I also wonder if most fans will be satisfied with it, if it is?...

I guess that will depend on how good Blomkamp's version is, if it actually appears...  :dodgy:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
If that's the case, I wonder if it will be the 'obvious' one...and I also wonder if most fans will be satisfied with it, if it is?...

I guess that will depend on how good Blomkamp's version is, if it actually appears...  :dodgy:

Honestly I agree that any time travel thing and any "3 and 4 were all a dream" could be seen as very lazy depending of the way it is told.
Another thing (but I doubt it) would be that Ridley Scott could introduce a new thing in Alien Convenant (a plot, a piece of technology,...) that could explain some things for a future Alien 5. 
I'm always for more connection between those movies. The "Alien vs Predators" are already deconnected from what we could call the "Alien canon" but I can see them as fun fan fiction because they don't have Sigourney in them, they are not directed by Scott and they have enough characters and events tha contradict the other movies that it's not even questionable.
The story of Prometheus was so... it's own thing, that we can see it as a side story in the same universe and Ridley now says that the future movies he'll make will connect with Alien. So if they really make that Alien 5 any time soon, maybe some elements could be related to Scott's movies.
Just "thinking out loud" here...

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
ImperialFighter said:
If that's the case, I wonder if it will be the 'obvious' one...and I also wonder if most fans will be satisfied with it, if it is?...

Honestly I agree that any time travel thing and any "3 and 4 were all a dream" could be seen as very lazy depending of the way it is told.
Another thing (but I doubt it) would be that Ridley Scott could introduce a new thing in Alien Convenant (a plot, a piece of technology,...) that could explain some things for a future Alien 5. 
I'm always for more connection between those movies. The "Alien vs Predators" are already deconnected from what we could call the "Alien canon" but I can see them as fun fan fiction because they don't have Sigourney in them, they are not directed by Scott and they have enough characters and events tha contradict the other movies that it's not even questionable.
The story of Prometheus was so... it's own thing, that we can see it as a side story in the same universe and Ridley now says that the future movies he'll make will connect with Alien. So if they really make that Alien 5 any time soon, maybe some elements could be related to Scott's movies.

I just really hope Neill Blomkamp’s film wll  be made and that it will be made sometime after “Alien: Covenant”

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that it might be lazy to just wave the hand and ignore two movies...but I'd rather we lazily ignore them than act like they happened.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

I'm with you on the ALIEN vs PREDATOR movies, and prefer to look on them as 'fan fiction' add-ons to the overall PREDATOR franchise really.  

While my own personal ALIEN saga 'canon' involves 'stylized' re-edited versions of ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RESURRECTION, I'm also content to include a much re-edited version of PROMETHEUS too - I just hope that ALIEN: COVENANT turns out to be a better entry overall. 

There's always the possibility that Blomkamp *might* be intending to briefly reference ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES as mere 'dreams/hypersleep nightmares' during his new ALIENS follow-up...but I wonder if FOX (and the directors/actors involved)  would be as satisfied with dismissing them in this way?  I just think that the studio is more likely to approve a completely 'alternative' ALIENS sequel storyline which doesn't mention them, rather than do that.  

As far as any 'time travel' possibilities, I haven't read of any suggestions anywhere about how they'd actually manage that - although I guess Blomkamp could have the 'Sulaco' enter some kind of 'time-distorting space anomaly' on it's way back to Earth to explain away the actor's current ages, wherever they end up at.  But this scenario would end up totally 'overwriting' the ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES movies, which doesn't seem to be the objective.  So I'm stumped about how any 'time travel' storyline could be involved.   

I'm certainly torn between whether it's better to try and explain away the previous sequels during Blomkamp's movie, no matter what...or if it's better NOT to refer to them whatsoever during this 'alternative' sequel.

thecuddlyninja said:
I agree that it might be lazy to just wave the hand and ignore two movies...but I'd rather we lazily ignore them than act like they happened.

On the other hand, Ridley has certainly introduced 'dream monitoring' technology into PROMETHEUS, so who knows?  If Blomkamp DOES end up using something like this to refer to ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES during his movie, then I guess it could be argued that they still *didn't really happen* after all...  :)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I sincerely hope that the folks making it give it as much thought as there is in this thread, because then it'll probably turn out pretty cool.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An old idea which has been bouncing around is Ripley as clone. It was her clone in A3. The "real" Ripley is still out there/on earth after the events of Aliens.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
An old idea which has been bouncing around is Ripley as clone. It was her clone in A3. The "real" Ripley is still out there/on earth after the events of Aliens.

I could maybe see a story around that, if it's not too corny.
Maybe real Ripley and cloned Ripley from 4 team up against the aliens, lol.
But it's true that, as much I'd like A5 to at least aknowloedge A3 and A4, I'm not sure the fans would like that clone story with Ripley "number 8" from A4. It would be a constant reminder of that movie.

Maybe just refering to Ripley being cloned several times in the past by the Weyland compagny would be enough though. Indeed.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:

The only problem with that scenario is...to allow ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES to remain as actual events that happened, then ALIEN 3's 'killed off' Hicks and Newt would have had to be clones too, seeing as those characters are likely to be alive and well in Blomkamp's version alongside 'real' Ripley... :-/

...unless Blomkamp makes out that ALL 3 characters at the start of ALIEN were INDEED clones too!  Or...perhaps it's the older Ripley'/older Hicks/and Newt that all turn out to be clones in his new movie!

But yes, if the 'Ripley' seen in ALIEN 3 was indeed made out to be merely a clone, and Hicks & Newt were NOT to feature in Blomkamp's move...then this would indeed work as a way which didn't negate the events of ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES happening.   Personally, I want the 'real' Ripley/'real' Hicks/and 'real' Newt to feature no matter what...but's a complete conundrum at the moment, and *anything* might happen...  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just ignore the films... it's only fiction and quite convoluted, inconsistent fiction at that.

She can't be cloned as yes it would mean Newt and Hicks too... plus somebody making a replacement damaged Bishop for some bizarre reason. The preposterous idea doesn't even merit consideration.

It also can't be a Dallas-style Hypersleep dream either. For one it's also ludicrous and second, how would you explain everybody aging 30 years in suspended animation. I suppose one way around this (Not the stupidity of it, just the logic) would be to use that astounding de-aging thing they did to Michael Douglas for Antman, to create a waking-up-nightmare prologue... then shift 30 years ahead.

But I also dislike the idea of Ripley waking up from a nightmare at all. The whole arc and resolution of Aliens was about her agreeing to go back to LV-426 to face her nightmares and conquer them. Which she does and settles down to a blissful sleep with a new adopted family. It's literally the last line of dialogue in the movie! Having her then waking from an Alien nightmare would sh*t all over Cameron's Aliens, much more than A3 ever did (A3 gave Ripley some new reasons to be traumatised).

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Just ignore the films... it's only fiction and quite convoluted, inconsistent fiction at that.

She can't be cloned as yes it would mean Newt and Hicks too... plus somebody making a replacement damaged Bishop for some bizarre reason. The preposterous idea doesn't even merit consideration.

It also can't be a Dallas-style Hypersleep dream either. For one it's also ludicrous and second, how would you explain everybody aging 30 years in suspended animation. I suppose one way around this (Not the stupidity of it, just the logic) would be to use that astounding de-aging thing they did to Michael Douglas for Antman, to create a waking-up-nightmare prologue... then shift 30 years ahead.

But I also dislike the idea of Ripley waking up from a nightmare at all. The whole arc and resolution of Aliens was about her agreeing to go back to LV-426 to face her nightmares and conquer them. Which she does and settles down to a blissful sleep with a new adopted family. It's literally the last line of dialogue in the movie! Having her then waking from an Alien nightmare would sh*t all over Cameron's Aliens, much more than A3 ever did (A3 gave Ripley some new reasons to be traumatised).

I agree.  Simply ignore “Alien 3” and “Alien Resurrection” I think would be the best route.  A natural continuation and conclusion of the character’s stories is best.  But, really, I am making my opinion from what I know, read and seen of the “Alien” franchise, namely “Aliens”.  I just want to see “Alien” so soooo much!

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently, this project is up again with Cameron on board and Blomkamp returning with his work. It’s only speculation for now, but Cameron has said he’s been working on it.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Apparently, this project is up again with Cameron on board and Blomkamp returning with his work. It’s only speculation for now, but Cameron has said he’s been working on it.

giphy.gif

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Apparently, this project is up again [...] It’s only speculation for now

Not so very "up," then. Also, no citation?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Canon Editor said:
Apparently, this project is up again [...] It’s only speculation for now

Not so very "up," then. Also, no citation?

What I meant is that the when and how, is all up for debate.  Cameron said “I’m working on it” last time he was asked about it, which isn’t really an official confirmation.  That’s why I called it speculation.  The mere fact that it is being considered is a way of saying it’s up again. 

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.avp...-that-james-cameron-on-blomkamps-alien-5/amp/ 

This is the first link I found looking up, upon the many others which state Cameron’s quote.

Top Bottom