• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2023 Movies

Didn't see a thread for 2023 Movies so here we go.

We just watched The Three Musketeers today and I said I don't know if they've made a bad Musketeers movie, then when reviewing musketeer movies I remembered the 2001 movie that has vanished from all outlets in the states. After looking for it I came across this trailer for a new Adaptation of The Three Musketeers. Looks pretty good.

I am actually excited for this, which is surprising because I am a huge fan of Dumas' works and there hasn't been a great adaptation of any of them (imo.) Sure there were some decent ones, but nothing that got me excited regarding film and cinema. I am hoping this is as of a grand scale as the trailer makes it seem.

Arguably the greatest concert film ever is getting a 4K remaster and cinema re-release, plus David Byrne did this absolutely delightful new teaser sketch:

I'm trying to temper my excitement with knowledge that it will inevitably not be playing anywhere near where I live :cry: but if you see it's on near you, go see it, you won't regret it!

An original "proper" 15th anniversary trailer:

and one of the highlights (in poor youtube quality):

The typefaces, graphic compositions and font colour choices in this trailer are off the chart!!!

I had to pause the trailer at 0.17 on the titlecard and just sit there contemplating the brilliance of every pixel.

The film looks like a David Hockney painting made life.

24hockney9-superJumbo.jpg

This is already the best film of 2023 and it's just the first trailer :LOL: .

The typefaces, graphic compositions and font colour choices in this trailer are off the chart!!!

I had to pause the trailer at 0.17 on the titlecard and just sit there contemplating the brilliance of every pixel.

As a fellow Wes Anderson nut, I will have to agree with this.

Looks like we will no longer have to debate what Tom Hanks’ fourth best movie is. 🤣

I regret not seeing top gun 2 in theaters - I’ll probably see Indy 5 and the Mario cartoon

I regret not seeing top gun 2 in theaters - I’ll probably see Indy 5 and the Mario cartoon

I got lucky seeing Top Gun: Maverick. It was still playing about 3 or 4 months later at the 12-screener 30 miles from home, and I finally decided to watch it. Glad I did.

As for Indy 5 and Mario, I don't know. I'm not really excited for either one.

I got lucky seeing Top Gun: Maverick. It was still playing about 3 or 4 months later at the 12-screener 30 miles from home, and I finally decided to watch it. Glad I did.

As for Indy 5 and Mario, I don't know. I'm not really excited for either one.
I got my kids tickets for Mario on Wednesday for the opening night. I’ll be next door at an Irish pub. 🤣

I just saw the new Mario movie, it was gr8. I didn't have any faith in Illumination when it was first announced that they were doing it, but the end result was clearly made with lots of love, and with the fans in mind. I can't wait for more, there's a lot of potential here. I didn't love everything about it, but as far as video game adaptations go this made me happy. I hate to say that this was leagues better than the Sonic movies.

I hate to say that this was leagues better than the Sonic movies.
Sonic's movie (I haven't seen 2, I assume it's the same) was made with such lack of confidence in the source material that the plot is essentially the same as Smurfs, Chipmunks, and Hop. Cgi creature from computer world ends up in the real world so the events, the setting and all the characters are not even related to the franchise, beyond the main character experiencing them as a fish out of water. The fact people like it is still very surprising to me, and I attribute that to the fact that Sonic the character was portrayed well in it, and Jim Carrey can still draw a crowd.

Mario's new movie thankfully at least takes place where the games usually do. That shouldn't be revolutionary but it feels like it is, lol.

(I haven't seen 2, I assume it's the same)
Sonic 2 definitely takes more from the games. Jim Carrey's Robotnik is now bald with a big moustache, Tails and Knuckles are added and portrayed rather faithfully, along with other things that I shan't spoil. It's still terribly frustrating in many regards nonetheless. I really expect the third time to be the charm though, with some of the things built up in the second movie.
There have been various official animated Sonic shorts in the past couple years, all with beautiful 2d animation. If they just went in that direction with the movie, then that'd be perfect.

I'm thinking about going to see John Wick 4 and the new Dungeons & Dragons movie later this week, if not tomorrow. I've been putting off Wick because I wanted to rewatch the others first, but I realized that I really don't feel like it.

Sonic 2 definitely takes more from the games. Jim Carrey's Robotnik is now bald with a big moustache, Tails and Knuckles are added and portrayed rather faithfully, along with other things that I shan't spoil. It's still terribly frustrating in many regards nonetheless. I really expect the third time to be the charm though, with some of the things built up in the second movie.
There have been various official animated Sonic shorts in the past couple years, all with beautiful 2d animation. If they just went in that direction with the movie, then that'd be perfect.

I'm thinking about going to see John Wick 4 and the new Dungeons & Dragons movie later this week, if not tomorrow. I've been putting off Wick because I wanted to rewatch the others first, but I realized that I really don't feel like it.

Having seen John Wick 4 yesterday, my advice is that if you loved the previous 3, do yourself a favor and put off Wick no more.

Unfortunately, the showings for John Wick and D&D don't coincide with my work schedule, so I'll have to go over the weekend (had last minute Easter plans so I couldn't go Sunday).
Nonetheless, I really didn't want to go straight home after work today, so I ended up going to see the only movie in which the times worked out, Air.
I don't care about basketball or shoes, but I really enjoyed this movie. Being more about marketing, it channeled Mad Men just enough to hold my attention. I really love when biographical films use real archival footage and images rather than try to recreate them, so that was neat. The film is a bit stylistically weird at times and I don't know how I feel about some of the choices. I should mention that I hadn't heard of the film before today, so I had no expectations whatsoever. Has Ben Affleck directed anything else? This is the first I've heard of him as a director.
In conclusion, Air was fun, probably won't watch again. I think I'm finally ready to finish Mad Men, and I want to watch more Matt Damon stuff.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

Theatrical_poster_for_Dungeons_and_Dragons%2C_Honor_Among_Thieves.jpg

I've never played "Dungeons & Dorks," as a high school buddy of mine once called it, and the recent trend of watching streams/web shows of other people playing such games sounds like torture. That said, I'm always up for a good high fantasy romp, and am a particular fan of the unfairly maligned Your Highness, so I eagerly gave this flick a try once the critics gave it solid marks - and, it's pretty great! It's not quite a classic of the adventure genre, like Raiders, The Mask of Zorro, The Princess Bride and LotR, but it goes right up there with Your Highness, Pirates... Dead Man's Chest, and Clash of the Titans (2010) in the next rung down. There are a few too many reactive line jokes, and some of the brawls run a bit long, but the 2 1/4 hour runtime mostly flew by.

I've always liked Chris Pine, but I don't like his Trek trilogy, thought Wonder Woman was seriously weak sauce, and struggle to remember much of anything about Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, so it's nice to finally have a movie of his I really like. Michelle Rodriguez also seems more energized than she has in many a Furious entry, and Hugh Grant is delightfully hammy. I'd welcome another entry from this creative team, though I hope they focus on a new band of characters each film, with only small appearances by characters they've used before.

Grade: B+

Went to go see D&D, but there were projector issues apparently. I walked to the theatre and I was too stubborn to turn back, plus I was given a free movie for the inconvenience. The only other movie that was playing was Mario, taking up two screens. So I watched Mario again. And apparently John Wick 4 has already run its course at my theater, so I guess I missed that.

My quest to see D&D is not going so well, and I don't even care because it's amusing.

In other news, I am likely going to see Renfield with my mother this week, I'm really excited.

I think this is one of the best trailers Marvel has ever created.

Last edited:
He directed Argo, a good movie in my opinion.

Not to mention Gone Baby Gone, which is an underrated movie IMO. Air is also fantastic despite it's cheesy trailers. Affleck might not be everyone's cup of tea as an actor, but I think he's one of the best American directors working today.

Air is also fantastic despite it's cheesy trailers.
I watched the trailer right before deciding to watch the movie, and right away I could tell that it was a bad trailer that wouldn't represent the actual movie's quality. I'm so glad I was right. Trailers really need to be taken with a grain of salt most of the time, if not completely ignored, unfortunately.

Not to mention Gone Baby Gone, which is an underrated movie IMO. Air is also fantastic despite it's cheesy trailers. Affleck might not be everyone's cup of tea as an actor, but I think he's one of the best American directors working today.
And The Town. Honestly I’m disappointed he never got it make his Batman movie.

Back
Top Bottom