• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2015 Movies

Saw 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E' movie last night and it was a joy to watch :).

Ritchie has re-created that kind of glamorous '60s Goldfinger style Spy movie. It's even got that old-fashioned Technicolor-style look. The first thing you see is a super-classy oldskool red-on-black title sequence that would make the great Saul Bass smile. Even the studio logos are done in the same style, that little detail started my viewing off on a good foot :).

The best thing though are the 3 leads, who have a perfect crackling chemistry. Especially Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer, who are just perfect playing off each other. Hammer is this boiling pit of Russian rage and Cavill is this achingly suave American super-thief. It's less action-heavy than the trailers suggest, it's more a spy movie of the sneaky, safe-cracking variety (Although the action scenes are great). The plot featues ex-Nazis, stolen Nuclear warheads, racing drivers and of course the Cold War. The soundtrack is also fantastic with a vintage Lalo Schifrin-ish vibe...

Possible negatives... It has very little connection to the TV show, if the titular organisation wasn't mentioned once out loud, you'd never know. But that doesn't effect the quality of the film, so is it a negative? The costumes and locations all look so classy and exotic that when it inserts a CGI shot from time-to-time I found it a bit jarring. Your brain is thinking this is genuinely a movie from the '60s and these shots snap you out of that :sad:. Most people wouldn't be bothered by that and the CGI is minimal. I have no idea what accent Alicia Vikander was supposed to be doing (Her character's father is German so I guess that?) but again her performance is great so that was easy to ignore.

As soon as the credits rolled I wanted to see another adventure with these characters... then I got home and read that it's bombing at the boxoffice... so a sequel seems unlikely. Such a shame and I really can't understand what is putting people off seeing this? :cry:

Why god why!!!

TM2YC said:
As soon as the credits rolled I wanted to see another adventure with these characters... then I got home and read that it's bombing at the boxoffice... so a sequel seems unlikely. Such a shame and I really can't understand what is putting people off seeing this? :cry:

Why god why!!!

I agree completely. I went with a large group of people and I was the only one who genuinely liked it. Most people seemed to think it was just adequate. 2015 has been a great year for spy films

^ Well, that title is certainly not going to pique the interest of younguns who've never heard of the show, but opening just two weeks after Mission: Impossible was obviously a huge error. It might have fared better in a quieter season such as October or January.

Gaith said:
^ Well, that title is certainly not going to pique the interest of younguns who've never heard of the show, but opening just two weeks after Mission: Impossible was obviously a huge error. It might have fared better in a quieter season such as October or January.

All good points. I read it was supposed to open in January but the studio moved the date. Doh!

Anyway y'all, go see this movie before it rapidly vanishes from theatres... because it's a lot of fun. I'm sure it's destined to be a hit on home-video and streaming when it's all too late.

Last week I went to see "The Gift", which I enjoyed, and "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation", which I also enjoyed but thought "Ghost Protocol" was better. Tonight I'm going to see "Sinister 2" and "Straight Outta Compton".

Man oh man this movie looks terrible.

q8prb.jpg

Saw the trailer for this tonight and it looked like tons of fun...

"Stoned Cold Killer" would've been a better title though.

TM2YC said:
Saw the trailer for this tonight and it looked like tons of fun...

"Stoned Cold Killer" would've been a better title though.

C-High-A

I've just returned from seeing Legend, with Tom Hardy.
I thought it was a solid gangster movie, but I was just blown away by Tom Hardy. He is excellent at playing both twins, and carries almost the entire movie. He was mesmerising. Francis, Reggie kray's wife, played by Emily Browning. was also good on screen, but she is given awful narration to deliver throughout the story which is unneeded, irritating and completely unoriginal. This would be my only real gripe with the movie. There were some memorable supporting characters, but the story is mainly focussed on the Krays and Francis.
It quite reminds me of a martin scorcese mobster movie movie, particularly Goodfellas.

judgmentalpigeon said:
Francis, Reggie kray's wife, played by Emily Browning. was also good on screen, but she is given awful narration to deliver throughout the story which is unneeded, irritating and completely unoriginal.
Sounds like a candidate for a fanedit, then?

dangermouse said:
That's funny. My friend and I were rating MI films after Rogue Nation. We went:
1- MI2! : Love the style man. Gimme some Woo lovin'!
2. Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol
4. MI (very close to 2)

5. MI3 - just didn't work for us. We find it forgettable and boring.

One mans poison, etc. :)
Just got back from Rogue Nation, and I largely agree. II is absolutely my favorite also, as I totally dig not only Woo's general artistry, but genuinely embrace the love story, plagiarized as it is from one of cinema's all-time greats (that'd be Hitchcock's Notorious - if you're gonna steal, might as well steal from the best). Compared to previous installments, for all its impressive stunts, Rogue Nation almost feels like a chamber piece - well-acted and finely photographed, but to what end? And how does even a Senate committee just up and disband a huge organization like the IMF, and then just as casually revive it? What happened to all those employees and fancy assets we saw in the previous movies, especially the last two?

Ah, but hey, screw it; for all its twisty wordplay (yup, we're dealing with the writer of Usual Suspects here), it boils down to a mindless popcorn flick. When I saw III in theaters, I marveled at how little actual story there was amidst all the narrative goings-on, and got to wondering if we could ever get a M:I movie that had pretty much no story whatsoever, just a feature-length series of setpieces, and Rogue Nation, with its long stretches of little to dialogue, might even get closer to that hypothetical flick. (And yeah, in retrospect, III doesn't work for me either; apart from the very cool Vatican mission, it's just too mean-spirited for my tastes.)

Pegg was good, yes, but for me, Hollander stole the show; love that guy. Anyhow, I give Rogue Nation a

B: good for what it was, but if you're not gonna tell an emotional story like II, I'll sooner revisit the more colorful, more spectacular, funnier and all-around more fun Ghost Protocol.

(And I demand that someone use Ghost Protes/Rogue Nation footage mashed with Skyfall/Spectre to create a kickass Bond vs. Hunt preview. :-D)

I have just one question for you guys that even liked MI2, let alone think it's the best of the bunch.

1392.gif

Because there is nothing better than a doorway wreathed with fire, a dove flying through it in, and Ethan Hunt walking past - all in slow motion! "Run that bastard down"
It's sheer Woo poetry! Gotta love the Woo, man. :)

^^ Like I said, it's a remake of Hitchcock's Notorious with an awesome villain performance, Anthony Hopkins, Thandie Newton at her most luminous, and beautiful action choreography. Maybe the sticking point is that it's also the most emotional/love-oriented of the five, and as your constant barrages of hectoring posts suggest, positive emotions aren't really your strong suit? ;)

Gaith said:
Maybe the sticking point is that it's also the most emotional/love-oriented of the five, and as your constant barrages of hectoring posts suggest, positive emotions aren't really your strong suit? ;)

Yes, it's me that's the problem.

Me and everyone else but you two.

^ Wise men know the difference between people having different personal tastes in silly Tom Cruise action flicks and "problems" that ought to be addressed with insults.

I don't know what insults you are referring to, and I'm not sure what bee has suddenly crawled up your bonnet, but the time to stop is now.

Bee in the bonnet reminds me of . . .

large_b2pxc9EvT8kVVy3ubojFdmCgpF5.jpg

Let Mr Ethan hunt that.

Back
Top Bottom