• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2015 Movies

Frantic Canadian said:
I want to see that one, but if you're comparing it to Her I might just have to past. As Roger Ebert would say "I HATE HATE HATED that movie". :lol:
I hate Her without having seen it, but am definitely looking forward to seeing Ex Machina. For one thing, it doesn't sound at all twee, and for another, I'll take Alicia Vikander now over ScarJo at any age. She truly is amazing. :-D

Gaith said:
I hate Her without having seen it

chicken-dance-gif.gif

I loved Her, and I am really looking forward to Ex Machina. Also I have zero interest in all things fast and/or furious

@Frink: no, but I am severely allergic to movies about mopey rich white dudes named Theodore Twombley who fall in love with their iPhones because they're too sensitive and wussy to enjoy real life. Just don't care. :p

@Thrown: that... is why you fail. (To appreciate the greatness that is the F&F Saga, which has a much higher good-movie average than Star Wars or Bond.) ;)

TV's Frink said:

lol, stupid phone.

Gaith: no. just no. but I am glad you consistently have the exact opposite taste as me.

Gaith said:
@Thrown: that... is why you fail. (To appreciate the greatness that is the F&F Saga, which has a much higher good-movie average than Star Wars or Bond.) ;)

lolwut

Gaith said:

This. Four good to great movies out of seven in my opinion. I had some people over and marathoned 1-6 for my birthday a couple weeks ago (just because my wife said nobody would ever watch the first six in a row and I am nothing if not spiteful) and everybody had a blast. Either the movie was good with great stunt work, or it was one of the two really bad ones which were incredibly fun to make fun of. Either way, it was a great 12 hours all the way through. I only spent 5 hours drunkenly rambling on about how underrated 3 was and that it set the tone for the series. :)

4/7 is kinda the same as 3/6, and when The Force Awakens comes out SW will have a 11/7 record, so :p

I'm not really sure why we are comparing Star Wars and fast and furious. The only thing these movies have in common is that they are part of a franchise...

I guess Gaith needs reasons to defend his movie preferences. OMGTHEMUMMYISTHEGREATESTFILMOFALLTIME.

You forgot the hashtag.

ThrowgnCpr said:
OMGTHEMUMMYISTHEGREATESTFILMOFALLTIME.
Well, that's just an objectively true fact... ;)

255.jpg

For my daughter's birthday we went to TOMORROWLAND, and we both LOVED it!

It is just a fun, feel good, positive, funny, chase adventure movie. Britt Robertson is amazing in her role as Casey Newton -- Wow! A teenager who is NOT angst ridden or has bad parents or who is a cynical know it all! So refreshing! lol

Seriously, a good old fashioned family Disney pic filled with optimism and hope. Thumbs up! :)

And now, off to Mad Max to watch the world burn!!!! :D

Spielberg's new film. Looks interesting. Probably won't see in the theaters though.

After watching 'Wolf Hall' I'm pretty much convinced that Mark Rylance is the greatest actor in the history of the universe, so yeah I'm interested in seeing that ^ film (The first of his two upcoming films with Spielberg after he's turned down previous offers from Sir Steven).

Spoilers for Ex Machina.

TTO-EX_MACHINA-Brian-thumb-800x451-55040.jpg

Okay, first off, did anyone not assume the Japanese girl was a robot the moment they saw her? Because I sure as heck did, so I gotta dock Caleb some brain points, especially when she performs that dance with Nathan in perfect unison. And then, what happened to her? Nathan hit her in the mouth, and she fell down - that shouldn't be enough to terminate her, should it? I would have liked the ending considerably more had Ava pieced her back together also, and taken her with her. Maybe even re-activated all the other AIs.

As it is, we're ultimately left with the same old anti-science "meddle not with forces beyond your understanding" trope, mixed with a bit of that old-fashioned fear/loathing of beautiful/sexy women. Sure, Ava had every reason to want to escape and survive, and to incapacitate Nathan, but to kill both him and Caleb? It might have been a lot more interesting had she let them go once her escape was secured.

Ergo, for all its glossy visuals and neat dialogue, the whole movie essentially boils down to Oscar Isaac giving a nuanced, compelling performance and Alicia Vikander being super-beautiful, wonderfully graceful in her movements, and, eventually entirely nude. Neither of which are bad things, mind, but neither add up to a great movie.

I'll go with a B. All three leads are very good, and I'm definitely excited to see Isaac menace the X-Men, but I can't say the movie really presented any new ideas, or even tried to. As a feature-length ogling of the magnificent Alicia Vikander, however, it's pretty great. I might have to make another fan edit short someday...

^ I really wanted to see that last night instead of Mad Max. I was outvoted :-(

One of the best films I've watched this year is a british thriller called Hyena, scared me more than any horror film has lately because what happens in the film is actually happening in this country. The style is very Nicholas Winding Refn, like a mix between Bad Lieutenant and Only God Forgives. The director's previous film was Tony, most people have never seen it but it's the most realistic serial killer film of all time. If the world was a better place, it would have got as much respect as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Back
Top Bottom