• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2015 Movies

Just came from MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ROGUE NATION.... and I absolutely LOVED it! Great escapist roller coaster ride.
Man oh man Cruise is insane lol-- some of the stunt work he did is incredible! And some stuff, I have no idea how they achieved it. The motorcycle chase looks incredible!

Some nice nods to the classic series... if you watch closely during the opening credits,you will see the tv show dossier. The IMF battles the SYNDICATE, which was often the term used to for the villains of the later seasons of the classic series when the tone shifted from international espionage to battling domestic organized crime. And I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the ending... totally felt like the old show to me.

Too bad Cruise seems to be another star who has succumbed to the pressures of cosmetic surgery, as I found myself distracted by his new cheeks...or am I imagining things...? LOL!

Thumbs UP! :D

Agreed! I was skeptical, but Rogue Nation is amazing. Well-written, not too much cheese (just the right amount), crazy stunts, and a suitably creepy villain. Also, Rebecca Ferguson is great, and I actually felt her dilemma was both real and relatable (even though I'm not an international woman of mystery).

I really enjoyed the nods to the original series as well, especially the record store bit (which felt like it was more or less identical to the pilot opening (up until the twist), but I haven't watched it in a while so I can't say for sure).

Also, I know Simon Pegg is a funny actor. I also know that he's a pretty good one. But that he could carry a movie emotionally (which he does for a large part of the running time) was the most surprising part of the film for me.

Yup, Rogue Nation was FUN. Dumb, yes, but with enough flair and style to make it really enjoyable. A perfect summer blockbuster.
Rebecca Ferguson was brilliant - although the director did seem a bit taken with her looks. At one point I was like "Did Michael Bay direct this??" But she was fantastic and I hope she's in the next one. Real acting chops, very nuanced, and kept us guessing the whole way whose side she was actually on.
I agree that Pegg was outstanding. Renner and Rhames had very little to do. This was the Benjy and Ethan show - but it worked really well.
And holey moley is Tom Cruise ripped!

Watched it again yesterday, and still thoroughly enjoyed it. Again, I was struck how much this one has the closest tone/structure to the original series. I love the fact it was mostly just a mission, not a personal story (in the way the Bond films have become...) and everyone is basically just doing their job as professionals.

If I were to rate the MI flicks from fave to worst....

1. MI Rogue Nation.
2. Mission Impossible -- only reason this is not number one is I still can not forgive the film makers for making Jim Phelps the bad guy! Because if Jim ever did go rogue, no one would catch him because he is too smart. lol
3. MI3 -- I love JJ's Alias, so I really enjoyed that feel/energy he injected into the story
4. MI Ghost Protocol -- great fun but even for me that parking garage was too over the top
5. MI2 .... honestly, if I could I would rate this one even lower .... I know Cruise wanted an anthology feel, with each director bringing their own distinct style to the franchise, but I think John Woo was a mistake.... to watch again it feels too dated, too much slow motion, inappropriate soundtrack, and worst of all, it just feels like a standard action flick with too many mask gags thrown in, if it was not called Mission Impossible, you really would not know it imo.

Upon rewatching all of these this weekend, I am again wondering how the studios get insurance for Tom Cruise? lol

That's funny. My friend and I were rating MI films after Rogue Nation. We went:
1- MI2! : Love the style man. Gimme some Woo lovin'!
2. Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol
4. MI (very close to 2)

5. MI3 - just didn't work for us. We find it forgettable and boring.

One mans poison, etc. :)

bionicbob said:
Watched it again yesterday, and still thoroughly enjoyed it. Again, I was struck how much this one has the closest tone/structure to the original series. I love the fact it was mostly just a mission, not a personal story (in the way the Bond films have become...) and everyone is basically just doing their job as professionals.

If I were to rate the MI flicks from fave to worst....

1. MI Rogue Nation.
2. Mission Impossible -- only reason this is not number one is I still can not forgive the film makers for making Jim Phelps the bad guy! Because if Jim ever did go rogue, no one would catch him because he is too smart. lol
3. MI3 -- I love JJ's Alias, so I really enjoyed that feel/energy he injected into the story
4. MI Ghost Protocol -- great fun but even for me that parking garage was too over the top
5. MI2 .... honestly, if I could I would rate this one even lower .... I know Cruise wanted an anthology feel, with each director bringing their own distinct style to the franchise, but I think John Woo was a mistake.... to watch again it feels too dated, too much slow motion, inappropriate soundtrack, and worst of all, it just feels like a standard action flick with too many mask gags thrown in, if it was not called Mission Impossible, you really would not know it imo.

Upon rewatching all of these this weekend, I am again wondering how the studios get insurance for Tom Cruise? lol
I haven't seen Rogue Nation yet, but otherwise this is spot on for me. Though I'm still waiting for the MI movie that skips the mask gag. Despite being a hallmark of the series (one I like very much), I loathe the masks.

This is the scene from the 1966 pilot that was referenced in Rogue Nation, btw. Not identical, but close enough to be considered a homage.

"Irrational Man" written & directed by Woody Allen

Without a doubt, the worst movie Woody Allen has made in the last 10 years. I went into this absolutely cold (and completely high). All I knew was the title, it's a Woody movie and it stars Joaquin Phoenix.

I've been a Woody Allen fan since I was 12, and I've watched everything he's done. And I'm telling you right here right now, he phoned this one in. The script is just absolute garbage, with such shallow characters, and every line of dialogue is superficial and only exists to tell the audience what they need to know. For the majority of the film I kept wondering if this was an intentional troll film. Like, what if Woody made himself a bet that he could write a script in one day, then film it without any rewrites.

There's a line of dialogue early on that stayed in my mind throughout. Abe (Joaquin) is teaching his Philosophy class and says something like "Philosophy is just verbal masturbation." That's exactly what this film is, verbal masturbation.

But, it's not a complete Piece of Shite. The actors do the best they can with their roles, and the overall concept is great. But it's clear that Woody has delivered a dud.

Not his first misfire and certainly not his worst film, but man what a huge disappointment. It's a sad day when I realize that "Hot Tub Time Machine 2" had a better script than the new Woody Allen film.

** / 5

Bummer, dude.
Like you, I watch every single Woody Allen film.
Unlike you, I never see them on a big screen because the last one our burg had was Sweet and Lowdown.
Bad review or not, I'll be seeing this when it finally comes out on DVD.
Thanks for the warning, though.

Here's hoping that Ridley Scott breaks his pattern of sub-par-to-terrible films.

Neglify said:
Here's hoping that Ridley Scott breaks his pattern of sub-par-to-terrible films.

Hell yeah that looks great! I have intentionally avoided everything about this movie because of surface similarities to Interstellar, but I'm glad I clicked play. Cool!

Neglify said:

A movie starring Jessica Chastain and Matt Damon playing a character stranded in space? What could go wrong?

It looks visually stunning obviously and I'll be buying a ticket to see it but the scripts/characters are often Scott's downfall. However "I'm going to have to science the shit out of this" is a great line, well delivered, so I'm very hopeful :).

Oh and once again, what the f**k are "Premium Large Format Screens"?

Neglify said:
Essentially it's what people like to call "LIEMAX". IMAX sized screens (or close to it) but without the actual IMAX technology.

http://screen.ballantynestrong.com/portfolio/premium-large-format-screens

Thanks, that makes it clear. "superior technology including 4K projectors", so not as good as the way films used to be projected 10 years ago! Huzzah! :p So it's a bit like a vague "THX" type exhibiting-standard I guess?

By the way, I always thought "LIEMAX" was just iMax's own ersatz digital-screens.

TM2YC said:
scripts/characters are often Scott's downfall. However "I'm going to have to science the shit out of this" is a great line, well delivered, so I'm very hopeful

I liked the book a lot. Part because of the hero's sunny attitude no matter what, part because all the technical puzzles were like Apollo 13 times ten. So if the movie delivers half of the pleasures of the book it'll be great.

About halfway thru reading The Martian. I'm enjoying the shit out of this, and hoping the mubi will be as fun a ride.

"Friday the 13th" meets "Last Action Hero".

^ Just going by that trailer... I suspect the phrase "Not as clever as it thinks it is" might be coming into play in a few reviews :p.

Back
Top Bottom