• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what kind of fanedit: True Fanedit

Intention: This edit aims to eliminate the extreme environmental and political overtones that the viewer is bashed over the head with in the original. The original tried to make poorly conceived political statements which were executed even more poorly. At the same time it attempts to clean up some poor dialogue, poor acting, poor pacing, and just a slew of other problems inherent with the film.

original film name: Avatar
new film name : Avatar Recycled
film studio name : 20th Century Fox
edit crew name : Kevinicus
Date Original Film Was Released : December, 2009
Date Edit Was Released : 7/22/10
Original Runtime : 162 minutes
New Runtime : 143 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : 19 minutes cut

Software used: Sony Vegas 9

Cuts removed/added/extended :

*Cut opening flyover of forest
*Cut extended shot of Jake in his pod (This was basically just for the 3D effect anyway).
*Cut all of Jake's voice over until his first "confessional."
*Cut first shot of Jake's brother.
*Cut small clip inside spaceship with Jake going to his locker.
*Cut recruiter's line about making a lot of money.
*Cut stupid lines by soldiers about "fresh meat" and an insult of Jake
*Cut guy in robosuit telling Jake to watch out.
*Cut the "rules" from Quarritch's speech.
*Cut Norm's line about the Avatars maturing.
*Cut Jake's last line of first video log.
*Cut short Grace's introduction.
*Cut short Grace's storming out of room and instructions for Jake.
*Cut "Unobtanium"
*Cut lame discussion of Jake's brain.
*Cut short Jake's conversation with Quarritch. There's no mention of his "real" legs.
*Cut line by grunt after helicopter lands.
*Cut Jake's first encounter with Pandora wildlife.
*Cut almost all of Jake's taunting.
*Completely cut initial conversation between Jake and Neytiri when she goes off about "No thank for this!"
*Cut Jake's foray into the Na'vi's powwow where nothing happens except him stepping on someone's tail.
*Cut scene of Grace commenting on Jake fleeing from the Panther like thing.
*Completely remove the useless subplot that goes nowhere - Norm being jealous of Jake.
*Cut mention of unobtanium in briefing room. (I felt this scene was needed since it is the only one that mentions why Home Tree specifically is important).
*Cut line about shareholders caring more about bottom line than killing.
*Cut Jake being quizzed as he prepares to go back in - eliminating another moment of Norm's jealousy etc.
*Cut bickering about floating mountains - again more pettiness with Norm and Jake.
*Cut Trudy's line about seeing their faces.
*Cut Trudy's line about "Air Pandora."
*Cut Jake's voiceover about Grace and what she knows, trim shots of photos.
*Several cuts to montage of Jake training - talks of flow of energy, and spirits of animals, etc.
*Couple cuts to Jake's battle with Banshee for continuity purposes, removal of Tsu'tey laughing when he falls, and Jake's taunt to the Banshee when he finally gets him.
*Small cut of flying sequence
*Cut more of Jake's voiceover (pretty much everything throughout the rest of the movie that can't be attributed to him doing his video logs).
*Cut part of Jake's talk with Quarritch when he tells him he's got approval to get his legs for him.
*Cut Grace's objections to Tsu'tey going to battle.
*Heavily trim of argument scene on the bridge. Removed much of Grace's lines, specifically about the "wealth of this world."
*Also cut Grace's dog line and Quarritch's mocking Jake.
*Cut scene of Jake saying "This is how it's done!"
*Cut Jake's line about falling in love with the forrest.
*Cuts to home tree attack - No Trudy, fewer shots of Quarritch, "Get some", fixed a few inconsistent shots.
*Remove Trudy calling Jake/Norm/Grace Treehuggers.
*Cut a Trudy's response to Grace being shot, and trimmed part of Jake and Grace being flown away in the station.
*Cut shot of Na'vi gathering w/Jake's voice over.
*Cut Neytiri's talk of her fear.
*Shorten gathering of tribes (By far my least favorite cut in this edit - done to remove Jake's voice over).
*Trimming of Quarritch's briefing to eliminate "terror with terror" line as well as stupid shots and reactions of soldiers.
*Cut "Shock and Awe" line and Trudy wanting to avoid martydom.
*HEAVILY cut Jake's prayer to Eywa. No more yapping about killing our mother.
*Trim takeoff scene to eliminate idiots cheering in the background.
*Lots of trims during final battle: Many shots of guys in cockpits, shots of soldiers being pumped, Neytiri's war cry, Jake telling Tsu'tey to follow him, more "get some!", shortened Trudy's "success" against Quarritch, Jake calling out to everyone, the "get some" guy's expression during death, "That's an order", old spirit Na'vi staring up, etc.
*Cut Quarritch's comments about Jake betraying his race and being one of them.
*Cut Quarritch's dying expression close up.
*Small cut of humans marching into ships to go home.
*Added "recyled" to the title.

*Other various small cuts.

Initial release (via MU) - single layer, bare bones DVD. This is basically movie only. There is a functional menu, but it is very basic and not designed for the movie at all. There will be future updates with a better menu as well as higher quality versions including blu-ray (cover art would be very welcome for these).

Not sure when it'll be up on the .info but it is available.

I've decided I will be releasing a BD-9 version of this edit for those who don't want the full on Blu-ray (which is beautiful btw). I'm working on menus, and possibly adding deleted scenes, now.

Is a BD-9 the same as an AVCHD?

I think so...

I'm a little fuzzy on that myself.

no it is not.

a BD9 follows BLURAY spec ona DVD9 (same for BD5). this is different than the AVCHD spec.

...but for practical purposes (x264 720p/1080p + AC3) it is pretty much the same.

imho, it is better to use AVCHD. it covers appropriate BD codecs, is irrespective of resolution (i.e. 480p is OK in AVCHD), media (BD5/9 is an aberration of the format) and iirc, UDF format.

when everyone has a BD player/burner AVCHD will still be backwards compatible, so no worry there.

The important thing for now is most (?) people don't have a blu burner. So that's what I was really asking - can you burn on a normal DVD burner. If not, AVCHD is the way to go.

Yes; TV's Frink, you can burn a BD-9 on a DVD burner. AVCHD is a much better choice as some Blu-ray players to do not like BD-9.

480p is actually out of spec for AVCHD. It plays on some players, but really you need 480i, which effectively makes standard defintion AVCHDs a waste of time.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, im not 'in the know' with BD-9 and AVCHD. Will you also be releasing this as a dvd, or is there a way to convert it into a dvd. Just curious, since im probably not going to be upgrading to blu-ray any time soon.

Kevinicus said:
Initial release (via MU) - single layer, bare bones DVD. This is basically movie only. There is a functional menu, but it is very basic and not designed for the movie at all. There will be future updates with a better menu as well as higher quality versions including blu-ray (cover art would be very welcome for these).

Ah, (smacks head) i even read that earlier, duh. Thanks for setting me straight frink :D

I had intended the BD-9 because the program I has would do that fine. If AVCHD is different then that will require a lot more work and I'll have to recreate all my menus from scratch to create that version. Movie only AVCHD would be easy, but with menus a pain in the ass. I'll see what I can figure out, can anyone reccomend a good program to convert to AVCHD?

Kevinicus said:
can anyone reccomend a good program to convert to AVCHD?
Use multiAVCHD, and I am afraid you would have to make the menu from scratch. MultiAVCHD 4 can make animated menus, but it is said to have compatibility problems with some players, so some people still use multiAVCHD 3.

Captain Khajiit said:
Kevinicus said:
can anyone reccomend a good program to convert to AVCHD?
Use multiAVCHD, and I am afraid you would have to make the menu from scratch. MultiAVCHD 4 can make animated menus, but it is said to have compatibility problems with some players, so some people still use multiAVCHD 3.

I went to another forum and asked about multiAVCHD and they said I could use the BD-Reauthor mode and set the output to AVCHD Relaxed and it would work.

I use multiAVCHD for my AVCHD authoring. While the menus aren't the flashiest stuff using this with the STRICT setting keeps it most compatible with BR players that support AVCHD.

And I go with 720p over 1080p because you can get a much higher bitrate. I generally use 7500k for a 2hr movie and this practically takes up the entire DVD9 disc. It looks nearly as good as commercial BR releases.

Kevinicus said:
I went to another forum and asked about multiAVCHD and they said I could use the BD-Reauthor mode and set the output to AVCHD Relaxed and it would work.
Fair enough! I did not know that. I hope this method works well for you, Kevinicus. :grin:

Thanks to Rogue-theX it looks like I may have DVD and Blu-ray cover art soon. Rogue started on this and I gave some suggestions and a few alterations and we came up with something pretty decent. It's not 100% finalized, and disc art is still being worked on, but here's an idea of how it's turning out. This is the blu-ray version that I worked on. The DVD version is very similar, but has some differences.

Kevinicus said:
Rogue started on this and I gave some suggestions and a few altercations and we came up with something pretty decent.
C'mon now, there's no need to fight over it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom