• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an alternate, "silent" version of my Gill-man edit, mixed with John Williams "Jaws" score. 

After finishing the Gillman edit, I wanted to experiment a bit and do something more liberal with the film. I love the style of silent movies and after seeing TMBTM's silent edit of The Force Awakens, I felt inspired to go down that same route. Due to the similarities between the two films (CFTBL & Jaws) and the music, I thought that the Jaws soundtrack would be an appropriate choice.

This was originally intended as an extra for the Gill-man DVD, which I'm still working on... But due to the amount of work I've put in so far, I feel like it deserves to be a fan edit in its own right. When the DVD is eventually put together, it will house both versions of the film, but I'd also like both edits to be available separately and have their own spot on IFDB (I assume this is ok?).

As much as I love silent films, I've never made one before... So I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it "right" or not... I've decided to put up everything I've done so far on Vimeo so as to gather feedback sooner rather than later.

It's been a while since I've worked on it, but I was just reviewing it today. It's only now that I've uploaded it that I can see some things that will need tweaking  (Eg. Title cards being cut off at the sides). 

Main changes:
  • Prologue is in sepia, rest of the edit is in black and white
  • Jaws soundtrack
  • Much more streamlined than the B+ edit
  • Heavily trimmed and lightly altered dialogue
  • Some changes to shots (eg. added extra shot of fossil photo at 3:31 and had it fade into the fossil in the following scene)
  • Change in feel. I've drawn some inspiration from Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", using the same font for the title cards and Biblical imagery in the prologue. 
Any feedback or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

That's shaping up brilliantly, use of the Jaws score is spot on! :) I really like the opening sequence and the font used for dialogue is a very good fit imo.  Looking forward to the finished edit. What are we looking at runtime wise about 25-30 mins? Its actually gave me an idea for another edit, *toddles off to Sinbad Ideas thread

Sinbad said:
 What are we looking at runtime wise about 25-30 mins?

Yeah, probably. Not because I'm aiming for it, but I think it'll naturally end up being around that length due to the trims to the dialogue. I'd like to avoid it being shorter than that if possible.

here's version 1 of the cover
ossh8o.jpg

Thanks, @"jswert123456" ! Looks good :) 

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to do a version that draws attention to the "silent" and "Jaws" aspects? 

I'm thinking you could possibly either have a faint overlay of the Jaws poster showing through by messing around with the opacity, or have a tear effect going across the poster showing half Gill-man poster and half Jaws. 

What do you think?

It would also be great if you could swap the font sizes so that "Gill-man: Silent Jaws Edition" text is larger than "Creature from the black lagoon". Maybe have it say something like:

The Gill-man: 
Silent Jaws Edition 
An edit of/based on
[size=small]"Creature From the Black Lagoon" [/size]​

Or something along those lines? 

Thanks again! 

Looking good. I did notice some of the longer text seamed to be cutoff by the aspect ratio when they are in the institute. 

It would be fun to use the mashup graphic from this shirt for your poster art.
3200bc-white_black-z1-t-black-lagoon-jaws-parody.png

And some more neat art if you are interested.​
universal_monsters_black_lagoon_delort_var.jpg
07b9db01c19167f77314cd3c21c94e82--horror-posters-film-posters.jpg

DigModiFicaTion said:
Looking good. I did notice some of the longer text seamed to be cutoff by the aspect ratio when they are in the institute. 

I actually realised today that I rendered and uploaded an older version of the edit... I've done some more work on it today anyway, so those things should be fixed. Thanks for the feedback :) 

It would be fun to use the mashup graphic from this shirt for your poster art.

And some more neat art if you are interested. ​

Yeahhhhh, that would be well cool. I think it's ultimately @"jswert123456" 's decision though since he's decided to take the job on.

jswert123456 said:
here's version 1 of the cover
ossh8o.jpg

Some overlayed vignetting could be cool for the front and back images, something like this:
black-gradient-frame.jpg

Then again maybe not, who knows. Maybe a grungy home movie style font for the title, maybe very little text on the back, just a short blurb and some info and that's it. Looks great!

Really looking forward to wherever this cover is going, same with the edit! You guys have my attention. :cool:

The Scribbling Man said:
Any feedback or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

You spelled your name wrong: 'The Sciblling Man presents"...
This happened to me a couple of times too  ;)

I like the style of the text cards a lot.

TMBTM said:
You spelled your name wrong: 'The Sciblling Man presents"...

What are you talking about? I know how to spell my own name... That's me - I'm the scibibblin man! ;)

Thanks, jswert123456 :)

Do you think you could have a go at using the Jaws font? 

I had a quick Google and you can get it for free here:

https://www.dafont.com/amity-jack.font

Maybe try it just on "The Gill-Man" or "Silent Jaws Edition", see what works best. 

I think that if you keep "The Gill-Man" font it would be good to use the same green as you've used for "Creature From The Black Lagoon" as it'll stand out a bit more. 

Also, your second colour version looks better - did you clean up the white at the top?

Thanks again.

Edit: I've just noticed that your missing an "L" on "Gill-man" - just so you're aware.

yes i cleaned up the white at the top.
i forgot to increase the brightness on the "gil-man"
thats why it looks different, i've had comments in past about using different fonts.
it would look odd only have a certain font for few words and everything else being different font
i have already made alot of changes.
28l7tis.jpg

i will do another color and b& w version
once all the final details and edit is done.

Having to discipline myself. It's so tempting to just go gunho and make the actors say whatever the hell I want. 

DarkPosts.gif

Back
Top Bottom