• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Doctor Strange and the Book of Dreams

Just throwing this out there, but I've been watching a lot of Analog Horror for spooky month. Long story short, it's a subsection of youtube videos that take the trappings of video recordings in the 70s & 80s (specifically how imperfect they are) & exploiting that for spooks (tracking on the video's not aligned, harsh cutting/glitching from scene to a different scene, etc.) Maybe you can apply that to the WHIH footage?

Just throwing this out there, but I've been watching a lot of Analog Horror for spooky month. Long story short, it's a subsection of youtube videos that take the trappings of video recordings in the 70s & 80s (specifically how imperfect they are) & exploiting that for spooks (tracking on the video's not aligned, harsh cutting/glitching from scene to a different scene, etc.) Maybe you can apply that to the WHIH footage?
Thanks that's a very interesting suggestion :)
I'll give it some thought ^^

Reactions: Nic
Bonus points if you can make it so Wanda is watching it in another universe on her TV with some Wandavision footage.

(This is not an entirely serious suggestion, I am not asking you to do a bunch of extra work just for a little shot)

Bonus points if you can make it so Wanda is watching it in another universe on her TV with some Wandavision footage.

(This is not an entirely serious suggestion, I am not asking you to do a bunch of extra work just for a little shot)
Ooh, maybe you could even have her watch footage of Strange giving the Time Stone to Thanos & killing vision, strengthen her animosity against Strange in particular.

Again, if that's feasible.

These are pretty wild ideas ^^
so this would be the wanda in 838? it's interesting, but I'm not sure what the narrative here would be. The intro is mainly to reinforce Stephen's attitude towards control, so adding in other elements might cause some confusion?

Oh, I thought the Wanda would be native to Earth-616 Earth-199999, since our Stephen is responsible for our Vision's death, motivating Wanda. But your right, best to keep the opening simple.

This is an experiment I was doing. It was to show how our Stephen was getting used by the monstrous stephen in the third dream sequence.
Looking at the whole sequence though, it's looking like this will prove too confusing, but I'm sharing it here anyway.

In case you don't recall this shot from What-If, I added and animated the strings.

I'm not sure I quite get what's going on. Is this Strange supposed to be manipulating Defender Strange into killing America at the beginning of the movie?

In our new narrative structure, defender strange is not shown alive. that is gone. instead, these dreams Stephen is having are a result of him being drawn into this animated universe. at first he is only drawn in slightly, a spectator. in the third and final dream, as our stephen is using the darkhold, he is brought in by the corrupted Strange and 'enlisted' to help him save Christine but of course, our stephen has no intention to do that. The corrupted Strange absorbs him anyway and uses his power to help him save christine.
This shot was showing him being used like a puppet to draw out his power, but it's a difficult narrative to construct and this shot was proving too confusing in the end.

an update here,
apologies for not updating this topic as regularly as I usually do. This edit has been a joint effort between myself and Mnkykungfu so most of the conversation has been a two person affair. We've been pretty productive though and we have a good draft. I need to go over it all doing some checks and we may put this out to the community with requests for previewers ^^

I'll try to outline what we've got here. Is this an edit log? hmm...

• It starts with an interview with Stephen and Christine, outlining Stephen's need for control.
  • The intro plays and shifts between various multiverses that we have featured in the movie. The one with the illuminati has x-men so the 20th century logo is used for that. the animated dream sequences are supposedly in the spiderverse so there is an animated sony/columbia clip, the dark broken world can be linked to the Hulk universe so we have the Universal logo too.
  • The first dream starts, This shows a Stephen who lost something very dear to him and decides to stop at nothing to get her back. This will link into Wanda's actions.
  • As he wakes up, we see a brief flash of the symbol of Vishanti and hear some shimmering sound and a watch ticking.
    We hear the watch ticking sound every time we see Stephen's watch from Christine to suggest that this is a link with the other Stephen in the dream and it is a symbol for his regret and his need for control.
  • As Stephen attends the wedding the shots are reframed to hide some bad acting of one of the extras.
  • Christine's asking Stephen if he is happy is removed.
  • Since the original dream sequence featuring America is removed, all references to it are also removed.
  • The world that Wanda dreams of, the Illuminati world is regraded to take on a golden shimmer.
  • Stephen cuts off Wanda when she is reaching for 'understanding' about Westview. The evil magic garden bit is completely removed.
  • As Wong calls Kamar-Taj into action, we cut back to Wanda and see she is using her spectral body to use the Darkhold. or is that her real body? It's the scene from the very end of Wandavision.
  • all the shots during Wanda x Stephen conversation above Kamar-Taj are reframed to enhance emotional resonance.
  • Wanda's attack on Kamar-Taj is made less horrific. We need her to be a sympathetic character. She isn't evil.
  • Wanda does not get drawn into the mirror dimension. It seemed unreasonably overpowered for her to so easily escape from that.
  • removed her line "I'm not a monster, I'm a mother" as it was just really bad.
  • recoloured one of the mutiverses as they fly through a whole host of them, it was way too normal looking.
  • Bruce Campbell is removed.
  • Inserted Wanda's dreamwalking partway through Mordo's scene rather than after it, to make way for the second dream.
  • removed Wanda looking directly at the camera. It was an obvious cut so some erratice editing was introduced that hides the cut and also elevates the distress that other Wanda is feeling.
  • As Stephen is sent to sleep by the tea, the second dream begins. The symbol of Vishanti is seen of course, as it is at every transition into the dream and out of it (except the final one)
  • The second dream shows animated Stephen going to the library of Cagliostro to find a way to break an absolute point. He goes to great lengths and starts absorbing the power of other beings to enable him to bring back his lost loved one. This mirror's Wanda's quest very closely and gives Stephen some perspective on that. It also further pushes this idea that Stephen needs to control everything.
  • At the end of the dream, this Stephen looks toward the camera and says "hello?" suggesting he is aware of our Stephen watching.
  • "The Illumi-what-i?" is removed.
  • As Stephen is taken before the Illuminati, they are all introduced immediately, including Charles Xavier, with no special fanfare and no fanservice. No musical motifs. No extended shots, no silly comedy.
  • removed Captain Carter and Captain Marvel's confrontational remarks.
  • As Wanda talks to Wong about how this chamber is meant for her, Shots are adjusted using dutch tilts, slow zooms, Wanda's voice is altered and a red glow is added to Wanda's eyes to suggest she is being influenced by the Darkhold. Music is also switched out to be more tense and creepy.
  • Blackbolt's voice is heavily altered to feel more like a deafening explosion of sound,
  • Wanda's attack on the Illuminati HQ is rearranged so that America and Christine are about to escape before Wanda even reaches their room. Stephen's fight with Mordo is removed. It is hinted that Xavier releases Stephen and Wanda's fight with the Illuminati is removed.
  • Removed weird spooky creepy stuff as Wanda is chasing after them under the river.
  • When the book of Vishanti opens up and starts to burn, The symbol of Vishanti now flashes onto the screen and a shimmer noise is heard, identical to the noise when a dream happens.
  • In the corrupted universe that Stephen and Christine end up in, the entire video frame rocks very slowly like a ship. it's very very slow to ensure no viewers get motion sickness. It is meant to symbolise how this universe is like a shipwreck and this evil Stephen is the storm that caused it. When he dies, the rocking stops. It is very subtle, so nobody should experience motion sickness from it.
  • Evil Stephen's voice is altered when he asks how our Stephen got here. To make him sound a little more intimidating.
  • Evil Stephen no longer asks our Stephen if he is happy.
  • Evil Stephen no longer claims outright to have killed other Stephens in dreams. He just sort of implies he did something.
  • We no longer see that third eye open after evil Stephen has died.
  • As Stephen is beset by souls of the damned after posessing his own corpse, he is drawn into darkness, the third dream starts here.
  • The third dream shows this corrupted Stephen absorbing the last being and traveling to the spot of the car crash where Christine died. He reincarnates Christine and she is scared by what she sees. we cut back to live action Christine defendeing our Stephen's body and fending off the souls of the damned, saving our Stephen.
  • We cut back to the dream where corrupted Stephen has saved Christine and she is scared. The world starts to fall apart due to Stephen's actions. As the world collapses, we see our Stephen's eyes watching the events. Corrupted Stephen is aware of this and pleads with him to help. As the world implodes and fades to black, we hear Xavier's line from earlier "We shall see what kind of Doctor Strange you are", We see the live action zombie Strange's eye as it opens. (in realisation)
  • We cut straight to Wong on the mountain getting rocks thrown at him as zombie Stephen swoops in to the rescue.
  • The fight here is trimmed down, removing some awkward bits with Wanda acting all campy. Wong does not tell Stephen to take America's power.
  • Stephen trusts America and relinquishes control of the situation to her. America does the same for Wanda. Wanda does the same for her alternate self.
  • The movie ends on Stephen fixing and putting away the watch. He does not manifest a third eye.
  • In the end credits scene, the shots are rearranged and reframed to hide that third eye.
  • The Bruce Campbell end credits scene is removed.

Last edited:
an update here,
apologies for not updating this topic as regularly as I usually do. This edit has been a joint effort between myself and Mnkykungfu so most of the conversation has been a two person affair. We've been pretty productive though and we have a good draft. I need to go over it all doing some checks and we may put this out to the community with requests for previewers ^^

I'll try to outline what we've got here. Is this an edit log? hmm...

• It starts with an interview with Stephen and Christine, outlining Stephen's need for control.
  • The intro plays and shifts between various multiverses that we have featured in the movie. The one with the illuminati has x-men so the 20th century logo is used for that. the animated dream sequences are supposedly in the spiderverse so there is an animated sony/columbia clip, the dark broken world can be linked to the Hulk universe so we have the Universal logo too.
  • The first dream starts, This shows a Stephen who lost something very dear to him and decides to stop at nothing to get her back. This will link into Wanda's actions.
  • As he wakes up, we see a brief flash of the symbol of Vishanti and hear some shimmering sound and a watch ticking.
    We hear the watch ticking sound every time we see Stephen's watch from Christine to suggest that this is a link with the other Stephen in the dream and it is a symbol for his regret and his need for control.
  • As Stephen attends the wedding the shots are reframed to hide some bad acting of one of the extras.
  • Christine's asking Stephen if he is happy is removed.
  • Since the original dream sequence featuring America is removed, all references to it are also removed.
  • The world that Wanda dreams of, the Illuminati world is regraded to take on a golden shimmer.
  • Stephen cuts off Wanda when she is reaching for 'understanding' about Westview. The evil magic garden bit is completely removed.
  • As Wong calls Kamar-Taj into action, we cut back to Wanda and see she is using her spectral body to use the Darkhold. or is that her real body? It's the scene from the very end of Wandavision.
  • all the shots during Wanda x Stephen conversation above Kamar-Taj are reframed to enhance emotional resonance.
  • Wanda's attack on Kamar-Taj is made less horrific. We need her to be a sympathetic character. She isn't evil.
  • Wanda does not get drawn into the mirror dimension. It seemed unreasonably overpowered for her to so easily escape from that.
  • removed her line "I'm not a monster, I'm a mother" as it was just really bad.
  • recoloured one of the mutiverses as they fly through a whole host of them, it was way too normal looking.
  • Bruce Campbell is removed.
  • Inserted Wanda's dreamwalking partway through Mordo's scene rather than after it, to make way for the second dream.
  • removed Wanda looking directly at the camera. It was an obvious cut so some erratice editing was introduced that hides the cut and also elevates the distress that other Wanda is feeling.
  • As Stephen is sent to sleep by the tea, the second dream begins. The symbol of Vishanti is seen of course, as it is at every transition into the dream and out of it (except the final one)
  • The second dream shows animated Stephen going to the library of Cagliostro to find a way to break an absolute point. He goes to great lengths and starts absorbing the power of other beings to enable him to bring back his lost loved one. This mirror's Wanda's quest very closely and gives Stephen some perspective on that. It also further pushes this idea that Stephen needs to control everything.
  • At the end of the dream, this Stephen looks toward the camera and says "hello?" suggesting he is aware of our Stephen watching.
  • "The Illumi-what-i?" is removed.
  • As Stephen is taken before the Illuminati, they are all introduced immediately, including Charles Xavier, with no special fanfare and no fanservice. No musical motifs. No extended shots, no silly comedy.
  • removed Captain Carter and Captain Marvel's confrontational remarks and mentions of 'the vote'.
  • As Wanda talks to Wong about how this chamber is meant for her, Shots are adjusted using dutch tilts, slow zooms, Wanda's voice is altered and a red glow is added to Wanda's eyes to suggest she is being influenced by the Darkhold. Music is also switched out to be more tense and creepy.
  • Blackbolt's voice is heavily altered to feel more like a deafening explosion of sound,
  • Wanda's attack on the Illuminati HQ is rearranged so that America and Christine are about to escape before Wanda even reaches their room. Stephen's fight with Mordo is removed. It is hinted that Xavier releases Stephen and Wanda's fight with the Illuminati is removed.
  • Removed weird spooky creepy stuff as Wanda is chasing after them under the river.
  • When the book of Vishanti opens up and starts to burn, The symbol of Vishanti now flashes onto the screen and a shimmer noise is heard, identical to the noise when a dream happens.
  • In the corrupted universe that Stephen and Christine end up in, the entire video frame rocks very slowly like a ship. it's very very slow to ensure no viewers get motion sickness. It is meant to symbolise how this universe is like a shipwreck and this evil Stephen is the storm that caused it. When he dies, the rocking stops. It is very subtle, so nobody should experience motion sickness from it.
  • Evil Stephen's voice is altered when he asks how our Stephen got here. To make him sound a little more intimidating.
  • Evil Stephen no longer asks our Stephen if he is happy.
  • Evil Stephen no longer claims outright to have killed other Stephens in dreams. He just sort of implies he did something.
  • We no longer see that third eye open after evil Stephen has died.
  • As Stephen is beset by souls of the damned after posessing his own corpse, he is drawn into darkness, the third dream starts here.
  • The third dream shows this corrupted Stephen absorbing the last being and traveling to the spot of the car crash where Christine died. He reincarnates Christine and she is scared by what she sees. we cut back to live action Christine defendeing our Stephen's body and fending off the souls of the damned, saving our Stephen.
  • We cut back to the dream where corrupted Stephen has saved Christine and she is scared. The world starts to fall apart due to Stephen's actions. As the world collapses, we see our Stephen's eyes watching the events. Corrupted Stephen is aware of this and pleads with him to help. As the world implodes and fades to black, we hear Xavier's line from earlier "We shall see what kindof Doctor Strange you wil be", We see the live action zombie Strange's eye as it opens. (in realisation)
  • We cut straight to Wong on the mountain getting rocks thrown at him as zombie Stephen swoops in to the rescue.
  • The fight here is trimmed down, removing some awkward bits with Wanda acting all campy. Wong does not tell Stephen to take America's power.
  • Stephen trusts America and relinquishes control of the situation to her. America does the same for Wanda. Wanda does the same for her alternate self.
  • The movie ends on Stephen fixing and putting away the watch. He does not manifest a third eye.
  • In the end credits scene, the shots are rearranged and reframed to hide that third eye.
  • The Bruce Campbell end credits scene is removed.
Omg this sounds incredible. I would love to give it a preview watch when you’re ready!

Love those changes, super excited for this one! MoM has a lot of footage to work with and throwing some What If... in there is brilliant!

Small note here, I think I made a mistake when I mentioned 'the vote' in the edit log, I had removed some shots that mentioned that, but it was more about the way they were talking about it rather than the fact they were going to vote. I've amended that.
We actually intended to keep the vote in because Xavier kind of vetoes that anyway, so that was my mistake.

These following clips show how I'm attempting to make the second dream fit into the movie better using a 3 pronged attack.

the first prong is using the Visuals of the book of vishanti to hint that the book is the instigator of these dreams.
the second prong is to shorten the second dream so it doesn't overstay it's welcome and get's straight to the point.
The third prong is to make many small edits to bring the focus onto Stephen's reactions to Christine.

I'd love the idea of a satanicless edition of this film, the pentagrams and strange wrangling demons were too much. But I've basically given up hope for this film, it's too dark for me.

🤔 [thinking of non-dark, nothing-demonic Sam Raimi movie]
....Hmm, maybe try A Simple Plan?

We're actually interested in getting Dr. Strange closer to his comic book character, not further from it. Did you know that for many years, his arch enemy was the literal Dracula and he spent his time digging through crypts to find soulless minions? Dr. Strange in comics is... well, pretty dark!

^The director of the original Dr. Strange film, Scott Derrickson, is actually famous for his Horror films. He's a huge Dr. Strange fan and only agreed to make the first film with the understanding that he'd be able to adapt the dark stories from the comics for the second movie. But then Marvel reneged on the agreement and wanted to go lighter and lighter... until eventually Derrickson and his writers didn't even recognize the sequel from their initial script and where they had been heading in the first film. They left and made another Horror movie while Marvel brought Raimi in to do comedy adventure with some Horror touches (e.g. Army of Darkness or Spider-Man 2). Honestly, I think literally everyone involved got screwed over by the change, with nobody being able to do what they really wanted to do. Except Marvel, who made a crap ton of money because they still had a lot of good will so soon after Endgame.

Back
Top Bottom