• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Doctor Strange and the Book of Dreams

I've adjusted the colour grading a little. made the 838 more sparkly and given some contrasting light values to the broken world.
i've included the previous screenshots underneath for comparison.
I think the idyllic universe really has more of a golden glow now as opposed to a yellowyness, so personally that looks great to me. I'm a bit less certain on the corrupted universe...I think I'd need to see actual video. This could have just become a pet peeve of mine with many properties since Game of Thrones and Endgame just often having these rather murky finales (I think to help disguise the CG). Sometimes it can just result in it being hard to track character movements and facial expressions. Not sure if this is a potential issue for anyone else.

I think the idyllic universe really has more of a golden glow now as opposed to a yellowyness, so personally that looks great to me. I'm a bit less certain on the corrupted universe...I think I'd need to see actual video. This could have just become a pet peeve of mine with many properties since Game of Thrones and Endgame just often having these rather murky finales (I think to help disguise the CG). Sometimes it can just result in it being hard to track character movements and facial expressions. Not sure if this is a potential issue for anyone else.
I understand what you mean about murkiness, so for these scenes I ensured I increased the contrast of the light values quite a bit. I actually think this gives more focus on the characters, while not increasing the colour contrast at the same time.
so for example, here, we can more easily see the focus of the shot, which is Stephen and the stairs. the higher contrast actually increases the volume of the shadows and raises the highlights of the important elements so there is less dingy junk.
image.png
image.png

It also lifts the faces a little and helps to see the emotions clearer.
image.png
image.png

of course I could be wrong about this.

I love what you are doing with this. The color changes for the different universes are cool, but the most interesting thing to me about this whole edit is the way you are planning on incorporating the What If episode. That was the only episode that I thought was remarkable out of the bunch. If you can make this work that is going to do wonders to this movie! Can't wait to see what you do for the rest of it

I love what you are doing with this. The color changes for the different universes are cool, but the most interesting thing to me about this whole edit is the way you are planning on incorporating the What If episode. That was the only episode that I thought was remarkable out of the bunch. If you can make this work that is going to do wonders to this movie! Can't wait to see what you do for the rest of it
I'd really like to include much more of the what-if episode, but I've found that it can harm the pacing, so I have to use smaller sections of it.

So here's where I'm going in the intro.
[video]
The tinted screenshots didn't sell me on it, but dang it. The logos did. I get it now. What you have so far is really stylishly presented and it makes the color tinting make more sense. I really wish there was more multiverse material in the theatrical film and the What If episode logically is the closest thing to deleted scene type content in that particular regard. The WHIH clip was well utilized for the cold open, smart choices here. Should be a fun edit.

So here's where I'm going in the intro.
Yeah, I think that's putting all that stuff together really well. You've sold me on the animation not being too jarring placed there, too. You executed that transition really nicely.

On the logos, I really like the audio work you did there. I know that's something you're still working at being more attentive to, and I think it really showed! Am I correct as well in saying that each of the logos has the color correction that corresponds to one of the "universes" we later visit? If so, I have two thoughts-
1. Maybe it would be good to see the logos a little longer and the final Marvel Studios logo less?
2. How about an animated logo for the What If material? (I think that might also help to anchor the idea that the animated material being incorporated is just another universe, since we'll see this one so much more before we visit the others)
-It would be fun to do Dreamworks for example (i.e. in the What If world, Disney doesn't animate it), although would be even cooler to throw in Blue Sky since they're now defunct...

OH MY GOD! O_O
the spiderverse!!!! the what-if universe could be the spiderverse!!! I'm not sure if the Sony open for spiderverse is animated, but if it is, that would be frickin sweet!! (I used the columbia to represent sony, since it looks prettier than the plain sony ones i was finding)
and yes indeed, I did colour match them!! I was actually realising how xavier is in the golden universe so I matched that to FOX, then I thought, maybe the broken universe could be linked with the HULK movie and I briefly thought about what if I tried to match Ang Lee's editing style in that old HULK movie...

thanks for mentioning the audio :) I was pleased with that.

^Yeah, that would totally work, but you're going to have to choose carefully since that logo is like a whole sequence on its own like what you were doing above. Here's the one from Into the Spiderverse, where I think you could choose some from the first 30ish seconds to use as it changes from Sony to Columbia and beyond.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this does not work.
[video]
Yeah, to me the cutaway to animation was jarring here and the content of the animation didn't seem related or relevant, as opposed to the opening, where the chosen animated scene feels like it flows and fits.

However, I do think that's good use of the skipped-by-most WandaVision post credits clip. The only complaint I have there is that you cut to that shot after Olson has turned her face away from camera and we don't have enough information to know that is her, which could be confusing because we see her in Scarlet Witch costume in the same shot. I would remove the animation and extend the amount of this clip that's used.

Also, stay with Kamar Taj until exactly when that bell ring sound hits, cut right on that to the WandaVision clip, the sound becomes almost like a psychic's tuning fork or something. Wanda honing in on them.

Yeah, to me the cutaway to animation was jarring here and the content of the animation didn't seem related or relevant, as opposed to the opening, where the chosen animated scene feels like it flows and fits.

However, I do think that's good use of the skipped-by-most WandaVision post credits clip. The only complaint I have there is that you cut to that shot after Olson has turned her face away from camera and we don't have enough information to know that is her, which could be confusing because we see her in Scarlet Witch costume in the same shot. I would remove the animation and extend the amount of this clip that's used.

Also, stay with Kamar Taj until exactly when that bell ring sound hits, cut right on that to the WandaVision clip, the sound becomes almost like a psychic's tuning fork or something. Wanda honing in on them.
what I was doing here is try to address a sense that we haven't really seen Wanda develop her abilities and she seems overpowered to some people. I was thinking maybe she learned a lot from dreamwalking. But I agree with what you say, the animation is jarring, and I think it's enough for me to downplay her abilities somewhat and include this one brief live action scene.
The reason I cut into that scene late was to have the camera in tight on the porch, so it's not clear that this is a small cabin she's walking into, as the house she was in just 2 scenes prior was clearly much larger. I can cut to an earlier point though and just reframe the shot.

what I was doing here is try to address a sense that we haven't really seen Wanda develop her abilities and she seems overpowered to some people. I was thinking maybe she learned a lot from dreamwalking. But I agree with what you say, the animation is jarring, and I think it's enough for me to downplay her abilities somewhat and include this one brief live action scene.
The reason I cut into that scene late was to have the camera in tight on the porch, so it's not clear that this is a small cabin she's walking into, as the house she was in just 2 scenes prior was clearly much larger. I can cut to an earlier point though and just reframe the shot.
The idea in that clip is outside the house is an illusion, right? You could lean into that, and still use more of the shot, but create sort of an animated vignette effect around the edges that starts strong and dark (or red?) and gets slightly softer as we close in, then goes away as we enter the building. Almost like fog of war.

Or, do some rearranging and use a totally different exterior shot without the cabin or fake normal Wanda at all, then use a shorter part of the Wandavision clip of her with the book after fake normal Wanda has already exited frame, it would be shorter but would be less confusing to someone who doesn't already know what she's doing. Maybe?

Keep in mind that her going to Kamar Taj is after Strange has already confronted her. We've already seen her at the fake house that turns into an evil blood red deathscape. Unless you move this scene, (or cut that) it will not be an introduction to her now being this evil being that even Strange is intimidated by.
Also, she's clearly a zombie in the animated footage, so... not sure you want to imply that.

yes I'm working on that and this is part of my experiments. I've tentatively removed that red dead realisation to see if any of the dialogue is needed and to see if the concepts from that can be picked up from other parts of the movie.
edit: I should have shown that in my testclip. I'll redo the testclip tomorow with the zombie removed and starting from in the orchard..

I have removed the animation from here and moved the clips about as requested and then rendered from an earlier point.
I get the sound cue reasons for cutting later, but the visual element is an issue IMO. I could move the cut earlier and layer the audio to cut on the bell if that works better...

Hmmm, I'm curious how this plays to others, but personally I think it does avoid a lot of the writing and performance issues I have with that whole scene by just cutting around them.
-No "flip a switch and suddenly Wanda Maximoff, professional actress, goes from the one we've seen to a vampy, overdramatic evil wiiiiiitch"
-No "I live in a hellscape surrounded by death because that's how I'm comfortable: I'm baaaaaaaad"
-No "I'll give you an artificial deadline for....reasons.... before coming to attack"

The next scene, which you've cut to, explains what the audience really needs to know anyway, so just skipping over the problematic and uneven writing works better for me. Leave the audience to fill in that Stephen and Wanda reached a kind of impasse and he got the hell out of there while the getting was good. This also means that the next time we see Wanda, at Kamar Taj, she talks to Stephen and brings up having had to kill/destroy Vision. This I think starts her motivation on a more believable footing than "give me this random-ass girl I sent CG monsters after somehow" because she'll solve all my problems. We're starting with Wanda in a position of guilt and anger.

I think this last conversation works really well too if the exchange just before this clip, where Strange first goes to meet Wanda, is slightly cut. Wanda says something like "You're here about Westview, aren't you?" and Stephen is just like "Nah, that town you enslaved? Pfh. I knew about it. No big." But if you cut his replies about that and just have him start talking about the thing he needs her for, it works well with Wong's explanation here. It makes it seem like all the sorcerers were totally not just going to let that go, and that actually this big conflict with Wanda and them has been building and is not 100% just about getting America MacGuffin...

I think this last conversation works really well too if the exchange just before this clip, where Strange first goes to meet Wanda, is slightly cut. Wanda says something like "You're here about Westview, aren't you?" and Stephen is just like "Nah, that town you enslaved? Pfh. I knew about it. No big." But if you cut his replies about that and just have him start talking about the thing he needs her for, it works well with Wong's explanation here. It makes it seem like all the sorcerers were totally not just going to let that go, and that actually this big conflict with Wanda and them has been building and is not 100% just about getting America MacGuffin...
I agree. this is really good stuff. I hadn't got to the stage where I know character motivations and analysing dialogue yet, so I hadn't considered this, it's certainly good to remove that.

Back
Top Bottom