• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Deepfake AI Tech Revolutionize Fan Edits

Bottle Rocket, but use deepfake technology to swap Owen Wilson and Luke Wilson.
This is such a hilarious idea and I'd love to watch it. I'm trying to think of other movies that would be similar.

DigModiFicaTion's "Rise of the Rebellion (Survival Edition)" uses deepfakes of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher to improve upon Lucasfilm's CGI versions.
It really improved on the original which I felt was the worst part of the movie.

This is such a hilarious idea and I'd love to watch it. I'm trying to think of other movies that would be similar.
The Suite Life Movie, swap Dylan Sprouse and Cole Sprouse :cool:

Twins, swap Danny Devito and Arnold Schwarzenegger

The list goes on.

What's everyone's thoughts on replacing faces in biopics? Johnny Cash in Walk The Line, Andy Kaufman in Man On The Moon, etc. Or even putting the real Three Stooges over the 2012 film. I think it's an interesting concept, not sure where it falls ethically.

What's everyone's thoughts on replacing faces in biopics? Johnny Cash in Walk The Line, Andy Kaufman in Man On The Moon, etc. Or even putting the real Three Stooges over the 2012 film. I think it's an interesting concept, not sure where it falls ethically.
I think it's the kind of thing that would make a great five minute YouTube video, but over two hours it would really get either old or uncanny before you got to thinking about the ethics of it.

Although, fan edit idea: do that ^ but do it to seamlessly combine multiple biopics.

I think it's the kind of thing that would make a great five minute YouTube video, but over two hours it would really get either old or uncanny before you got to thinking about the ethics of it.

Although, fan edit idea: do that ^ but do it to seamlessly combine multiple biopics.
Yeah I feel like any silly novelty would wear off after a few minutes but Id love to see it anyway.

One could restore Rachel Weisz to the role of Evelyn in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, but A) Bello's hair color and style is totally different, and B) that would require caring even a little about that movie. :ROFLMAO:

One could restore Rachel Weisz to the role of Evelyn in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, but A) Bello's hair color and style is totally different, and B) that would require caring even a little about that movie. :ROFLMAO:

There's a deepfake that replaces Maria Bello with Rachel Weisz in some shots. It's not very high-quality, but it does show that it could probably be done well with a better deepfake. Still, the movie is just so bad that it wouldn't make much difference. Rachel Weisz made the smart choice when she didn't sign on to the project.

Michael Keaton in Batman Forever, Christopher Reeve in Superman Returns, Lara Flynn Boyle in Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Jodie Foster in Hannibal, Richard Harris in the later Harry Potter films. Imagine the possibilities and looking forward to what the Fan Edit community comes up with.

There's a deepfake that replaces Maria Bello with Rachel Weisz in some shots. It's not very high-quality, but it does show that it could probably be done well with a better deepfake. Still, the movie is just so bad that it wouldn't make much difference. Rachel Weisz made the smart choice when she didn't sign on to the project.

Wow, that's incredible. If one were to apply that to the movie, including Weisz's voice, give Alex an English accent, cut back on the lame sitcom humor, and scale down the action sequences, the result might actually be... decent? (Not great, obviously, but decent, and probably better overall than Returns.) You know Weisz is a goddess when she makes the beautiful Maria Bello look downright plain - though the deepfake could probably use a few more natural wrinkles, especially given how old Evy should by that time. Anyhow, I always thought the movie had great-looking cinematography in terms of lighting and colors, and Fraser gave it his all.

Are there any whole Fan Edit movies that utilize Deep Fake yet?
There are edits that have small deepfaked sections, mostly Rogue One edits or my own Ant-Man 2 edit, but there are no edits that have entire actors deepfaked for the whole duration of the film.

There are edits that have small deepfaked sections, mostly Rogue One edits or my own Ant-Man 2 edit, but there are no edits that have entire actors deepfaked for the whole duration of the film.
Wow I'm surprised. Ive been desperate to see a version of Terminator 2 with Sylvester Stallone ever since Last Action Hero suggested it. And curious how Back To The Future would've been with Eric Stoltz the whole movie. Ive seen plenty of clips, but I want the whole thing!

The problem is that it takes time, effort and a lot of computing power. Doing it for one shot in my Ant-Man edit took the better part of a few days to gather reference material for the two actors, and then running it through the program and letting it solve. The longer you leave it, the better the result. Often you have to really fiddle with the results to get something thats acceptable. Doing this process for hundreds or thousands of shots for a single film would take years to do.
One of the biggest things to make it convincing is that the base actor has to have a similar facial structure to the face you want to put on it. Take for example Tom Holland on Michael J Fox.
While this deepfake is really great, what lets it down is the differences in their facial structure, size of the forehead, hair, physical build of the rest of the body, and the acting. It looks great at a glance, but it feels uncanny no matter what due to a mix of all of these factors. Just look at RDJ over Christopher Lloyd, it doesn't feel right for so many reasons. Putting Stallone over Arnold wouldn't work because of the differences in their height, build and facial structure, and also that Arnie wouldn't have Sly's droopy lip. Doing it would feel uncanny.

TL;DR - While it is often a cool experiment for short clips, for an entire feature film would be an unweldly use of time for a result that may/may not be convincing and fall into the uncanny valley.

What's more, swapping a face, no matter how skillfully done, is very different from actually changing a performance. Stoltz wasn't dismissed from BttF because he didn't have the right face.

What's more, swapping a face, no matter how skillfully done, is very different from actually changing a performance. Stoltz wasn't dismissed from BttF because he didn't have the right face.
Yeah that's pretty much the crux of it.

We could deepfake Mark Ruffalo over Ed Norton in the Incredible Hulk so that yada yada continuity, but the physical performance of Norton is not what Ruffalo would of done had he actually been in the film. The way he talks, walks, acts, moves, twitches and everything. You can put one face over the other but you cannot change the fundemental performance that would make it convincing.
I think if you used a short clip to give context within another edit as a flashback, then it would probably work. But watching the entire film with a pasted face over the top would be uncanny as you'd just see the performance of the original actor.

All I can see with this clip is Chris Pratt's performance and facial ticks. While it's a very impressive piece of work, I can't see it as one cohesive thing yet.

Yeah that's pretty much the crux of it.

We could deepfake Mark Ruffalo over Ed Norton in the Incredible Hulk so that yada yada continuity, but the physical performance of Norton is not what Ruffalo would of done had he actually been in the film. The way he talks, walks, acts, moves, twitches and everything. You can put one face over the other but you cannot change the fundemental performance that would make it convincing.
I think if you used a short clip to give context within another edit as a flashback, then it would probably work. But watching the entire film with a pasted face over the top would be uncanny as you'd just see the performance of the original actor.

All I can see with this clip is Chris Pratt's performance and facial ticks. While it's a very impressive piece of work, I can't see it as one cohesive thing yet.
True just deep faking their face wouldnt be enough for you to notice a difference in performance. Which is why you would also have to deep fake their voice as well. And I guarantee that is going to be huge one day, and whoever takes the time and effort to be the first one to do it, will probably get National Headlines 😉

True just deep faking their face wouldnt be enough for you to notice a difference in performance. Which is why you would also have to deep fake their voice as well. And I guarantee that is going to be huge one day, and whoever takes the time and effort to be the first one to do it, will probably get National Headlines 😉

There are tools to recreate voices using samples, and has been used to great effect for small portions of edits, most notably Hal9000's SW Ep9 edit. But the same with the facial deepfakes, it's time consuming, needs a large sample size to grab from, and takes time to perfect. Doing for an entire feature like this would be an ungodly amount of time. Its very hard to fake emotion with artificially created voices too, so even if you can buy the deepfaked faces, you'd have to buy the digital voice too for 2 hours. It's a mix of digital creations that we are not yet at the stage of, and debatable if we will ever reach that stage to completely replace an actors performance with other via these means.

Back
Top Bottom