• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Deepfake AI Tech Revolutionize Fan Edits

Not that I know of, but Adywan did alter the Special Edition version of that scene featuring Ian McDiarmid to be much better and closer to the original version.

I knew of this for years now it’s almost perfect but it’s still a little off because it’s not Ian that’s why I was hoping it was possible to have a deep fake of how he looked in jedi.

It is Ian, and it's probably the best you're going to get.

Pesci's nose was noticeably better in the deepfake too. At some points DeNiro was unrecognizable as DeNiro in the Netflix half.

It is Ian, and it's probably the best you're going to get.
I was taking about the revisited version and I know it was Ian in the special edition also both the special edition and revisited are off in terms of the way the emperor looks he doesn’t look the way he does in return of the Jedi in the special edition he looks the way he did in revenge of the sith because they filmed it during the making of revenge of the sith instead of making him look like his return of the Jedi version after finishing filming revenge of the sith.

It was also ian in the revisited version of star wars episode v the Empire strikes back which was made by Adywan based on the film the Empire strikes back which came out in 1980 and what adywan did was probably the closest to return of the jedi which came out in 1983 looking emperor that you're going to see which you do with your eyes

It was also ian in the revisited version of star wars episode v the Empire strikes back which was made by Adywan based on the film the Empire strikes back which came out in 1980 and what adywan did was probably the closest to return of the jedi which came out in 1983 looking emperor that you're going to see which you do with your eyes
Yes the voice was Ian in revisited but that was a look alike in make up I’m not saying it wasn’t very close but it still felt a little off to me that’s what I meant.

Have you tried getting in contact with Ian mcdarmid or do you know anyone with connections to Ian that can get him to film this for you

Have you tried getting in contact with Ian mcdarmid or do you know anyone with connections to Ian that can get him to film this for you
I wasn’t expecting him to redo it I was just hopeful a deepfake would work for the scene that’s all never mind I won’t talk about this anymore.

It appears that audio deepfakes are getting very impressive. This could be tremendously useful for fanediting purposes (recording alternate diologue to change the meanings of scenes, etc).

I have used something like audio deepfake for one of the grindhouse trailers attached to Star Beast edit:

At the beginning and later at 1:00.

I am planning to include more of it in the project expanding this trailer to full movie.

Last edited:
Gieferg can you advise the tool you used?

It appears that audio deepfakes are getting very impressive. This could be tremendously useful for fanediting purposes (recording alternate diologue to change the meanings of scenes, etc).

Yeah but I see the huge negative with this and that’s it being misused were going into scary territory.

So, out of curiosity, have any fan edits used a Deepfake yet?

It occurred to me the other day AI could make a major impact on audiobooks, especially for franchise works. Publishers could make unabridged Star Trek/Wars audiobooks, with all the movie/TV actors "reprising" their roles, and new characters/the narrator being "played" by similarly recognizable voices. And, of course, what publishers don't do... fans could themselves.

This to me is like the worst idea ever. It’s the same as deepfaking or CGI installing dead actors (or anybody without their permission) into films. That is their voice, and using AI to do cheap mimicry of an actual person so the fans can soy at it being the nostalgia they grew up with is terrible.

Yes, a fantastic example is M4's Hobbit edit. He had a friend do a deepfake model based on some of the characters' unblemished faces, then applied it to footage later in the story where their faces showed injuries that didn't happen in his edit but had happened in the theatrical films. Thus removing an inconsistency created by the fan edit. He comped in only the changed parts so it's seamless and not junky low resolution.

It's extremely tastefully done and clever use of the tech specific to fan editing. I pegged it as not even a deepfake initially. It's not just trying to swap an actor out with a cheesy facsimile of another actor's face.

@M4_

Yes, a fantastic example is M4's Hobbit edit. He had a friend do a deepfake model based on some of the characters' unblemished faces, then applied it to footage later in the story where their faces showed injuries that didn't happen in his edit but had happened in the theatrical films. Thus removing an inconsistency created by the fan edit. He comped in only the changed parts so it's seamless and not junky low resolution.

It's extremely tastefully done and clever use of the tech specific to fan editing. I pegged it as not even a deepfake initially. It's not just trying to swap an actor out with a cheesy facsimile of another actor's face.

@M4_
Yeah this is one of the only good uses in my opinion. Not changing an actors performance or making a new one

Yeah this is one of the only good uses in my opinion. Not changing an actors performance or making a new one
I don't think there's anything technically wrong (ethically is a more complicated story) with doing that either. I just don't think that's a clever use to just face swap alone like that's the entire gimmick on its own. There are times when swapping actor faces could be done in a clever or creative way, but it has to be a good use of the idea.

Example:
Heath Ledger's performance in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was supplemented with performances from some other actors due to his untimely death.
In my opinion, a bad use of deepfaking would be changing all the actors to just have Heath Ledger's face. I feel like that would be distracting and unreal and hit the uncanny valley, making it hard to watch, not to mention the changing voice. But, a good use for the tech could be to animate the face change from one actor to another, so it would help with facilitating the transition rather than replacing a performance.

Edit: another continuity idea. Replacing mistakenly-repeated background extras. Like when there's that one red shirt guy you keep seeing even though you just saw him die two scenes ago.

It occurred to me the other day AI could make a major impact on audiobooks, especially for franchise works. Publishers could make unabridged Star Trek/Wars audiobooks, with all the movie/TV actors "reprising" their roles, and new characters/the narrator being "played" by similarly recognizable voices. And, of course, what publishers don't do... fans could themselves.
DigModiFicaTion's "Rise of the Rebellion (Survival Edition)" uses deepfakes of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher to improve upon Lucasfilm's CGI versions.

Back
Top Bottom