• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain Marvel : Where's the Love

I'm reluctant to post too many clips, but I redid the music sequence to replace "just a girl" with "Violet" instead of "ready to go". I feel like it works really well. it has a good theme and a good energy. I really like Hole, their style is truly like a mix between smashing pumpkins and nirvana. suppose it makes sense. :/

anyway, I have done 'the montage'. I was quite intimidated by the idea of it, but actually It wasn't so complicated and I feel like it kind of built itself.
I'll post that clip here so as to see if you like. I'm wondering if I need to perhaps slow the clips down a bit to give that 'memory' feeling, and also bring in some of the sound to go with those clips, subtle like, maybe with the echo thing going on

Well everybody, thank you for your input so far. I have arrived at a milestone. I have finished doing all the cuts and edits I had in mind.

I am now rendering a movie file out and pending feedback, I have completed this project! ^_^

I am now putting out a request, if anyone here wants to take a look at my work and give me feedback, I would very much appreciate it!

I am also giving this project a title.
"Captain Marvel : Where's the Love"

Well everybody, thank you for your input so far. I have arrived at a milestone. I have finished doing all the cuts and edits I had in mind.

I am now rendering a movie file out and pending feedback, I have completed this project! ^_^

I am now putting out a request, if anyone here wants to take a look at my work and give me feedback, I would very much appreciate it!

I am also giving this project a title.
"Captain Marvel : Where's the Love"
Interesting title name for this fan edit. I'd like to view it when possible though the next few days maybe strange for me.

Interesting title name for this fan edit. I'd like to view it when possible though the next few days maybe strange for me.
there's no rush :)

I personally find it a bit of a commitment to watch a feature film all in one go.

Sign me up. Happy to give this a watch and provide feedback. Congrats on finishing the first draft.

Thanks, I'll send you a link just now :)

Okay, first issue detected.
it seems I was neglectful with my framerates when transferring the deleted scenes across. mismatch in framerates has caused a weird stutter in the deleted scenes i've inserted.
Sorry about that.
It'll most certainly be resolved in an obviously necessary second version. XD

I wanted to do a fanfix of Captain Marvel too, but replace some songs with NIN and add deleted scenes. In fact, I was hoping for the fight scene you rescored to use Bad Reputation by Joan Jett. Although, I like your song choice and mine would've resembled too much like Shrek.
My other choice would be to remove the Endgame to scene and place it on my Infinity War fanedit where it ends with Thanos getting decapitated. My edit would only have Avengers Initiative and Tesseract as the after-credit scenes.

there's no rush :)

I personally find it a bit of a commitment to watch a feature film all in one go.
Yeah ill wait for the second version to fix the frame rate issues. Hopefully it will be figured out by then.

My other choice would be to remove the Endgame to scene and place it on my Infinity War fanedit where it ends with Thanos getting decapitated.
ooh, looks like we are of a similar mind! I have also been thinking that recently!
not that I plan to do that any time soon.
I already removed the bit about naming the avengers... I could remove that mid credits scene too.

perhaps if you like what I did in this edit, I can point people to your endgame edit as a good companion?

ooh, looks like we are of a similar mind! I have also been thinking that recently!
not that I plan to do that any time soon.
I already removed the bit about naming the avengers... I could remove that mid credits scene too.

perhaps if you like what I did in this edit, I can point people to your endgame edit as a good companion?
Maybe. Thanks. I kinda want to do an extended version of Infinity War that uses all deleted scenes and make it the longest edit possible. No plans to do an Endgame fanedit for now though, but I do have Infinity War in mind.

Ah right.. no that's sounding different from my ideas for that. I want to make it shorter XD

Here are the edit list from the version I have 'completed' so far.
  • Colour graded entire movie to reflect Carol's emotional state.
  • Added visual effects to reflect when Carol's implant was subduing her powers.
  • Removed Carol needlessly insulting her Kree colleague.
  • Inserted deleted scene showing more upbeat and friendly interaction with Kree colleagues.
  • On skrull ship, during memory search, cut some parts where she was obviously being 'put down by men'.
  • Removed Carol screaming at skrull. it was stupid.
  • Inserted scene of Yonn Rogg talking to supreme intelligence.
  • Removed Carol telling Fury "you finally asked a relevant question"
  • Removed Biker "how about a smile?"
  • Removed "noble warrior heroes", the way she said it was too smarmy.
  • Removed Carols smirk and "huh" just before the "welcome wagon" in the pegasus facility.
  • Inserted flashback to memories of Goose when they meet up with Goose in the corridor.
  • Inserted a few relevant flashbacks when Carol is studying the files on the crash.
  • Replaced Yogg Ronn/Ronan scene with deleted scene of 'Keller' talking about tracking the plane.
  • Re-inserted Yon Rogg/Ronan scene midway through the scene in Marie's house so as to make it feel like she was there longer.
  • Inserted a shot of 'Goose' at the cut back to Marie's house. (from stock footage)
  • Inserted some warm memory flashbacks when Carol is looking at old photos....
  • Inserted an unpleasant 'memory' of the 'Skrull' shooting Lawson, just before there is a knock on the door, to introduce more tension.
  • Removed carol saying " reached blah blah altitude" and put in reversed shot of carol turning her head smiling, the memory of her and maria, and reversed shot of maria turning her head. This helps to accentuate the shot where they both reach orbit together as friends.
  • Reduced volume of "smells like teen spirit". it just seemed way too loud to me.
  • Removed memory of bike crash and baseball. these seem to serve only to suggest "she's clumsy because she's a girl". extended the gocart clip just to pad this out for the dialogue.
  • Completely replaced montage of "Carol standing up because she's realised she's allowed to" with a montage of "Carol reflects on her friendships and realises her emotions give her strength".
  • Removed "just a girl" and replaced it with "violet" by 'Hole'.
  • Removed horrible effects shot of carol falling towards the ground. It was just ugly XD
  • Removed Carol's line to Yon Rogg "I have nothing to prove to you".
  • Removed Goose scratching Fury's eye. Nobody I have spoken to appreciates that detail. I can't remove the damage to his eye in later scenes, but I can avoid attention being drawn to it.
  • Removed Maria's line asking Fury about his eye.
  • Removed final scene drawing attenion to Fury's eye and also naming the avengers after Carol.
  • obligatory edit of the end credits.

Based on feedback I have received my attention will be directed to the following :
  • Adjust colour grading on train chase sequence.
  • Adjust colour grading on Talos' face in the house scene.
  • Adjust colour grading on inserted shot of Goose.
  • Adjust colour grading on flashbacks on space lab.
  • Fix framerate issues on deleted scenes.
  • Introduce the teaching deleted scene at the start to give more context into Kree society.
  • Move Yon Rogg/supreme intelligence clip later in movie.
  • Cut Fury and 'Keller' looking under blanket at autopsy.
  • Introduce deleted scene of Coulson helping 'Keller' into office.
  • Try to adjust Carol blowing up jukebox. Wanton destruction may not endear us to her.
  • Recut the part where Carol demands Fury's pager, to be more subtle.
  • Edit Talos addressing Maria as 'young lady'.
  • fix audio a bit too loud at the start of the journey up into space.
  • Upon scanning Goose and Fury, change "human male" to "human".
  • Remove "I've been fighting with one hand tied behind my back"
  • Re-introduce the Goose scratching fury scene, but edit it to downplay the seriousness of it.
  • Change mid credits scene to a scene from Agents of shield concerning Kree blood. (to allow viewers it watch out of sequence)
Please let me know if I've missed anything important.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of previewing this edit and I have to say it does a great job at meeting its stated aims. The cuts throughout are smooth and the audio work is nicely done. The reinstated deleted scenes are integrated well and suitably placed. There are several choices in this edit that are really inventive. I particularly like the increased attention to the restraining bolt on Carol's neck. If I had any criticism it would be that the destaturation of the colours is too severe. I understand the intention behind this and the idea is sound. However, I found it was too destaturated resulting in large sections of the film feeling washed out. All in all I'm excited to see more from Tremault. Good luck with the approval process.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback! ^_^

Were there any particular bits that felt too washed out for you? I am already re-grading the train chase and the Maria's house part. I'd love to address any other parts that stood out too much.

Thank you so much for the feedback! ^_^

Were there any particular bits that felt too washed out for you? I am already re-grading the train chase and the Maria's house part. I'd love to address any other parts that stood out too much.
I'll spin through it again tomorrow and DM you a list of scenes. I think it's a really playful way to convey the deepening connections but I think it could stand to be subtler. I'd almost be tempted to return the desaturated scene back to normal and instead raise the saturation with each new connection.

well with the default look of the original being at 50 saturation, I took most of the earlier parts of the film to around 25.
I would say it was a lazy approach upon reflection. I didn't consider how this would effect daylight scenes. we naturally see less colour in the dark, so I think this reduction in saturation works well in space scenes and dark scenes, but when it comes to brighter scenes, I need to take it a bit higher in order to feel more natural.

I've now regraded the train chase scene and paid special attention to the indoor and outdoor parts and also adjusted gamma and contrast. I may go over other scenes with this approach, even though it takes a lot more time than I had intended to spend on colour grading.

edit:
a short clip of the train chase. It is still generally less saturated than the original, but I think it doesn't look washed out now?

Last edited:
well with the default look of the original being at 50 saturation, I took most of the earlier parts of the film to around 25.
I would say it was a lazy approach upon reflection. I didn't consider how this would effect daylight scenes. we naturally see less colour in the dark, so I think this reduction in saturation works well in space scenes and dark scenes, but when it comes to brighter scenes, I need to take it a bit higher in order to feel more natural.

I've now regraded the train chase scene and paid special attention to the indoor and outdoor parts and also adjusted gamma and contrast. I may go over other scenes with this approach, even though it takes a lot more time than I had intended to spend on colour grading.

edit:
a short clip of the train chase. It is still generally less saturated than the original, but I think it doesn't look washed out now?
It still looks slightly washed out. Might need a small adjustment.

Gotcha. I'll take another look at it when Malthus replies with more grading observations. :)

Wow, I have to thank @Malthus for pointing me to this edit, because it looks fantastic! Without getting into specifics, I've always thought that whatever quibbles I had with the film, it wasn't really for me (as a dude) to dwell on. There are enough films aimed square at me that if there are a lot of ladies standing up talking about how scenes resonated for them, maybe it's just best to say "cool, this one's for you then." Every film doesn't have to be targeted at every single person.

That said, the changes you propose are SO much of the very issues I had with the movie, and I'm happy it occurred to you to make the edit. It's not a bad film, but the details you've highlighted were definite sticking points to me that kept it from being one of the MCU "greats", despite the hype...
Thanks to some guidance from VERsingthegamez , I have decided on a emotional payoff for the film. since the intended emotional payoff really doesn't work for me in this film, I will replace it.
Currently, the film wants to say " you have been held back and pushed down, but if you get angry enough, you can overcome it" .
I want to make the new message " if you allow yourself to feel love, you can unlock great strength within".
My reasons for this are the continuing message from yon rogg that Carol is too emotional. even though she hardly shows any. my feeling is, the small amount of emotion she shows, interferes with their control. fair enough. so what would overcome their control more? more emotion? The thing I dislike about her is how she seem unnecessarily nasty to Fury. so I want to instead try to accentuate her growing relationship with him. also her relationship with Monica, Maria and Talos and his family. After all, Goose shows family connections in this movie quite well, it's a recurring theme there.
I want to take this and accentuate it, by completely replacing the montage where she is breaking free of their control.
instead of a montage of just Carol, repeatedly getting up, I want to instead create a montage of how her emotional connections have grown between her and her friends. That will be the implied reason behind her overcoming her restrictions.
I love love LOVE your idea for how to make the theme of the movie more powerful. You're so completely right that the dialogue was at several points at odds with itself over whether more emotion or not enough emotion was the issue; and the emotions they dwelled on seemed to be anger and pride. The message you're focusing on, of love and connection, is not only a much better foil to the Kree Empire, but a much more resonant message for viewers I would think. At least, it is for me. (And I watched your preview and LOVE the montage...you nailed it! I would just ask if there's any way to stretch the music slightly longer or turn up the volume at the end? It gets a bit too quiet as the Supreme Intelligence is challenging her I think...I'd like for the music to still be going, and only cut out when she announces that she's Carol. Then: music back full force! Stand up! Triumph!)

Very interesting approach. Potentially you could look through other Brie Larson movies and replace all her developmental flashes with gentle, loving moments from those other films "from her life before the event".
If you're still considering pulling for any flashbacks or inserts, @tremault , I'd just suggest to look in Larson's films after this one. She worked out so much for this that her face got leaner and her body stands and moves differently than it did in the films before it. It's very noticeable, to me anyway.

Thanks ^_^

So, the bit where They fly up into space and carol and maria look at each other and smile... it lacked emotional weight for me... so I have inserted this clip shortly beforehand.

I'm not sure if it works. since I think the clip should cut to carol's face. but carol starts talking before the original cut happens. so I'm not sure how to approach this.

EDIT: never mind I think I got it. a bit of creative splicing with some other shots, removed the fluff dialogue and repositioned that clip. I'll edit this in a moment with the newer clip so you know what I'm blabbering on about. XD

EDIT 2:
Okay, here it is, I think it works a lot better.
I watched Edit 2 and I like the vision of it, but I wonder what the flashback has to do with the present moment? I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it's not like they were talking about wanting to go into space or something, so I'm not sure what the specific relevance is beyond featuring the same characters...?

Thank you, I appreciate all that you said and I agree. Eye thing, I'll see what I can do there. Shield thing, that should be an easy fix.
About the music... having worked on this project quite a bit more now, I Think it may be okay to consider a non female vocalist for this scene, or a song with a different tempo. I mean I was thinking how mental it would Be if I used "you got the touch" from transformers movie XD. I'm open to suggestions though. Earlier would be better, considering these skrull have been stuck on this ship for a few years, and so mid 90s music is a bit of an anachronism. I also think a song that emphasises love for friends,or helping loved ones, might be more apt.
"You've Got The Touch (The Power)" is an amazing track, but for some people falls into that "I'm Just a Girl" territory of being on-the-nose and overly-iconic. Am I wrong in that all the music in the film is '90s? Also, are you considering replacing any other tracks?

I took a look at Hole. The one from hte credits didn't feel right to me, but I did find this one which feels quite appropriate. since this part of the movie is essentially about a 'breakup' between carol and yogg ron/ supreme intelligence

Thanks for the offer of the comic books. I'm not sure what I could take from them to be honest. I mean I get it's the source material, but I'd have to read all of them and then consider the movie and if there's anything I can do with it. I'd be happy for your input though. I'm not dumb enough to think my 'finished edit' will be the final version. I want to give people the chance to watch it, give any feedback, and then I can finalise it. so if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.
"Violet" is an awesome track, totally fits. Though it's pretty raging, and there are several bits of humor in the big Starforce confrontation.... Minerva shooting the Nerf gun, Atlas tries to crush her with the pinball machine but the legs just support it because the joke is those got abused all the time, the lunchbox, the Flerkin... not sure if the comedic moments fit the mood, especially for what should be a triumphant confrontation of the people who were lying to, manipulating, and in a sense, grooming Carol.

Fury's eye being played for a joke never sat well with me either, but there's no avoiding it in this film. "Clawed out by an alien" actually isn't a bad origin, it's seeing the teeny harmless scratch that makes it a joke. Maybe if it happened off screen and we just hear him yell and a roar/hiss? Possibly showing a hallway shot or something at that moment?

Anyway, this looks like a potential shelf-replacer for me, I really applaud you for the thought and work put in so far. When you make your next revisions and have a (potentially) final version, sign me up to preview!

Back
Top Bottom