• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain Marvel : Where's the Love

Update on my plans. I'm also doing some colour grading. I want to associate more colour with more emotion. I'm reducing colour for the majority of the start of the movie and then bringing the colour up at parts that should be more emotional. also, her memories should be mostly greyscale, apart from the particularly potent ones. I don't think it'll be super noticeable if you're not aware of it, but it should help to improve the mood of the film through the subconscious.
I've also found some deleted scenes and one of them worked really well at making Carol more likeable.
I'm adding this scene as it should hopefully make her a more sympathetic character for the viewer as the film unfolds.
Sounds good! (y) Any new updates?

Thanks for checking up on me, it keeps me motivated. :)

I took it easy a little, to think about what I am going to do. I've been splicing in some memories here and there and I feel like it fits well.
wanting to help hte pacing a little when in the house with maria and monica, I looked for a clip of an orange tabby to serve as Goose, hopefully.
I'm troubled by it, I've adjusted it adding a vignette and trying to match hte lighting as best as I can.

I'd like some honest feedback, does this fit, and what can I do to improve it?

Thanks for checking up on me, it keeps me motivated. :)

I took it easy a little, to think about what I am going to do. I've been splicing in some memories here and there and I feel like it fits well.
wanting to help hte pacing a little when in the house with maria and monica, I looked for a clip of an orange tabby to serve as Goose, hopefully.
I'm troubled by it, I've adjusted it adding a vignette and trying to match hte lighting as best as I can.

I'd like some honest feedback, does this fit, and what can I do to improve it?

I'd say its good. Though the footage feels a bit too close to the cat I would say but I think it can add to the scene

I did struggle looking for good clips of an orange tabby cat within an environment close enough to those in the movie.
I did find better clips, but those were stock footage and so of course came with a very high price. This is just a short clip i found on youtube. perhaps I should replace this one and bite the bullet and spend a little.

edit:
I've tried with this clip instead. I think it may be working better.

edit2: this is my current timeline just to give you an idea of where I'm at.
1q9tnSb.png

Last edited:
Yeah i would say it works better. I dont know editing well but I am assuming the first part there is your progress?

yeah those are all basically the cuts you can see. some of them are just to isolate areas for colour grading and others are inserted clips or removed clips.

Still sort of confused but ill take it as a "still have plenty of work to do but good progress so far....."

I did struggle looking for good clips of an orange tabby cat within an environment close enough to those in the movie.
I did find better clips, but those were stock footage and so of course came with a very high price. This is just a short clip i found on youtube. perhaps I should replace this one and bite the bullet and spend a little.

edit:
I've tried with this clip instead. I think it may be working better.

edit2: this is my current timeline just to give you an idea of where I'm at.
1q9tnSb.png
I like both clips but the second may be a fraction better as it’s less of a close up

Thanks ^_^

So, the bit where They fly up into space and carol and maria look at each other and smile... it lacked emotional weight for me... so I have inserted this clip shortly beforehand.

I'm not sure if it works. since I think the clip should cut to carol's face. but carol starts talking before the original cut happens. so I'm not sure how to approach this.

EDIT: never mind I think I got it. a bit of creative splicing with some other shots, removed the fluff dialogue and repositioned that clip. I'll edit this in a moment with the newer clip so you know what I'm blabbering on about. XD

EDIT 2:
Okay, here it is, I think it works a lot better.

Last edited:
Thanks ^_^

So, the bit where They fly up into space and carol and maria look at each other and smile... it lacked emotional weight for me... so I have inserted this clip shortly beforehand.

I'm not sure if it works. since I think the clip should cut to carol's face. but carol starts talking before the original cut happens. so I'm not sure how to approach this.

EDIT: never mind I think I got it. a bit of creative splicing with some other shots, removed the fluff dialogue and repositioned that clip. I'll edit this in a moment with the newer clip so you know what I'm blabbering on about. XD

EDIT 2:
Okay, here it is, I think it works a lot better.
I like what you’ve done but I think I would trim the flashback a fraction, make it a little shorter perhaps

I share your views on the original film and am interested in how this turns out.

After checking out your new song insertion, I'm not sure it works as well as something else could, but it's definitely better than "Just a Girl", in my opinion. When I watched the original scene in the movie theater and "Just a Girl" started playing, I rolled my eyes. Your new choice, while it doesn't tear the roof off the place, at least is inoffensive enough to keep me from being pulled out of the movie.

I sincerely hope you are able to make Carol likeable. Not an easy task, I would say, especially with her plank-of-wood personality.

Outside of that, one of the things that bugged me a ton about this movie was how it felt like it went out of its way to ignore the previous MCU films, especially in the case of Nick Fury. For one, making the loss of his eye a joke in this film really pissed me off. Not at all consistent with what Fury's hinted at up to this point. I don't know if it would be possible to remove that, or at least change it, but I would love to see it happen. Another thing is the origin of the acronym S.H.I.E.L.D. It's been a while since I've seen Captain Marvel, but wasn't there a scene where she suggested to Fury or Coulson that they should just shorten it to S.H.I.E.L.D.? And this was in the 90s. But in Iron Man, Coulson uses the full title for the department when introducing himself to Pepper Potts, and she says, "That's quite a mouthful." to which Coulson replies, "We're working on it." That's another thing I'm not sure would be possible to remove, but I'd love to see it happen.

Anyway, best of luck. I hope you're able to fix this movie in some way.

Thank you, I appreciate all that you said and I agree. Eye thing, I'll see what I can do there. Shield thing, that should be an easy fix.
About the music... having worked on this project quite a bit more now, I Think it may be okay to consider a non female vocalist for this scene, or a song with a different tempo. I mean I was thinking how mental it would Be if I used "you got the touch" from transformers movie XD. I'm open to suggestions though. Earlier would be better, considering these skrull have been stuck on this ship for a few years, and so mid 90s music is a bit of an anachronism. I also think a song that emphasises love for friends,or helping loved ones, might be more apt.

I'm a big fan of the animated Transformers movie but I think "You've got the touch" has too much of an 80's flavour to fit well in the overall movie's score. It definitely is a fab song.

Yes, it wouldn't help matters if the song just didnt fit.
It's a shame really, because I was thinking I could use Carol's memories to key in to some older music... you know that memory of Carol and Maria singing together... and I thought, to give it a more modern kick, i could use a cover of an earlier song... like this one i found that just blew me away

Edit: see I've been thinking... the film has this general grunge feel, that fits with how carol is feeling throughout most of it, but then when she overcomes this, uses her love to overcome... I dont think it's good to stick with grunge. I'm wondering if a different style of song would actually be most suitable .

Fair point. A potentially simple fix would be to shift Hole's Celebrity Skin from the credits and use that and then rescore the credits with something else.

thanks, I sent you a pm.

I guess there's not much interest in captain marvel though?
or is this how projects usually go here? not sure what to expect I guess. do I need to demonstrate more work on this? or i it because I'm new?
to be honest, I'd hoped feedback from others might give me added motivation. XD
I'm interested in your final cut. I fell asleep in the theater watching this, and don't have a strong desire to re-watch to give suggestions lol. But she comes out of nowhere in Endgame if Captain Marvel isn't viewed prior, so looking for a substitute. I own comic collections of Carol Danvers though, from the 70s, 00s, and a scattered few from 2012 and on. If you think that would help some decisions in your edit, or just interested, feel free to let me know.

I'm also new, just joined last month. Community seems receptive and friendly if you ask questions.

I took a look at Hole. The one from hte credits didn't feel right to me, but I did find this one which feels quite appropriate. since this part of the movie is essentially about a 'breakup' between carol and yogg ron/ supreme intelligence

Thanks for the offer of the comic books. I'm not sure what I could take from them to be honest. I mean I get it's the source material, but I'd have to read all of them and then consider the movie and if there's anything I can do with it. I'd be happy for your input though. I'm not dumb enough to think my 'finished edit' will be the final version. I want to give people the chance to watch it, give any feedback, and then I can finalise it. so if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Did someone already mention this idea? In the final ship interior fight scene, kick off the music when the jukebox gets hit. Then you can play with muffling the song when it cuts to scenes outside of that room because it's implied to be playing from the jukebox instead of the larger soundtrack.

Did someone already mention this idea? In the final ship interior fight scene, kick off the music when the jukebox gets hit. Then you can play with muffling the song when it cuts to scenes outside of that room because it's implied to be playing from the jukebox instead of the larger soundtrack.
It's a good idea, but it's difficult to remove the original music track and it's partly masked by the replacement track in the parts where I couldn't fully remove it. There is another way and that is to manually rebuilt all the sound effects and that is way too much work for me to do. If somebody else wants to do it than I'd be more than happy to receive that help and do that jukebox idea.
In that event, the music would have to be late 80's early 90s song so as not to introduce a continuity error.

It's a good idea, but it's difficult to remove the original music track and it's partly masked by the replacement track in the parts where I couldn't fully remove it. There is another way and that is to manually rebuilt all the sound effects and that is way too much work for me to do. If somebody else wants to do it than I'd be more than happy to receive that help and do that jukebox idea.
In that event, the music would have to be late 80's early 90s song so as not to introduce a continuity error.
Yeah thats a ton of work and could easily be like a "patch" down the road for your cut whenever it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom