• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The DC Extended Universe Thread

With the recent release of AQUAMAN 2 THE LOST KINGDOM, the Snyder launched cinematic DCU is now dead, and it might be fun to do a final ranking of these flawed flicks.

From FAVORITE To WORST as viewed by a Bionic Bronze Age Fanboy.... 😁

AQUAMAN -- 8/10 (absolutely loved how this movie embraced the fun and ridiculousness of comic book heroes)(y)
WONDER WOMAN -- 8/10 (Gal Gadot completely wins my heart)

WONDER WOMAN 84 -- 7.5/10 (a fun, if uneven, adventure that left me smiling at the end)

SHAZAM -- 7/10 (fun film but the tone was wildly uneven)
MAN OF STEEL -- 7/10 ( a movie I enjoyed in theatres but like less and less on each rewatch)

THE SUICIDE SQUAD -- 6.5/10 (the humour is a bit too preteen at times but I appreciated the Ostrander elements)
BIRDS OF PREY -- 6.5/10 (fun action, thin script, clever narrative but I was disappointed by the interpretation of Canary, Huntress and Cassandra)

AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM -- 6/10 (a fun buddy comedy that has clearly been edited with a hatchet)
BLUE BEETLE -- 6/10 (the family stuff is fun)
BLACK ADAM -- 6/10 (some decent moments in an overstuffed, undercooked tale)
JUSTICE LEAGUE 2016 -- 6/10 (I appreciated Whedon's more iconic take on the characters and the humanity he tried to inject)
ZS's JUSTICE LEAGUE -- 6/10 (amazing visuals, but cool does not equal good characters)

THE FLASH -- 5.5/10 (some wonderful nostalgia feels betrayed by an absolutely terrible ending)
SUICIDE SQUAD -- 5.5/10 (some great characters beats but an edited mess with a CGI climax left me uninterested)

SHAZAM FURY OF THE GODS -- 5/10 ( a good third act can not save this mess of movie)

BATMAN V SUPERMAN -- 3/10 (Hate it. A Superman without Hope and a Batman who believes a 1% chance justifies murder) (n)

I thought this was supposed to be part of the new DC universe?
Yeah... maybe it is. I mean it was originally commissioned to be a MAX tv movie like Batgirl to follow up after The Flash movie and with Michael Keaton as their own Nick Fury type. But of course all that got retooled once Gunn took over. So I guess it is part of the new Gunnverse? If it is, it is a very underwhelming relaunch.

And somehow apparently Peacemaker is part of the new Gunnverse too, since it is getting a second season? But it featured Synder's JL at the end?
I dunno...? The whole relaunch/reboot thing feels like a hot mess at the moment. But maybe Superman Legacy will clear things up?

Last edited:
  1. Zack Snyder's Justice League 10/10
  2. Man Of Steel 10/10
  3. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice ULTIMATE EDITION 9/10
  4. The Flash (my trimmed edit) 8/10
  5. Wonder Woman 8/10
I don't really care about the rest. Even if I thought they were decent it's unlikely I'll watch them again. In contrast the 5 listed above I'll be watching for years to come.
  1. Aquaman 7/10
  2. Black Adam 7/10
  3. Shazam 6/10
  4. The rest I dislike or I haven't cared to watch.

1. BvS Ultimate Edition
2. Man of Steel
3. Zack Snyder's Justice League
4. The Suicide Squad
5. Aquaman
6. Wonder Woman
7. Shazam!

These are my favorites, most of the rest are unwatchable if not for brave fan-editors doing the lord's work.

@bionicbob, you didn't put Peacemaker in your list.

DCEU ranking? Why not :)

1, Man of Steel - 9/10 - my absolutely favorite Superman movie ever
2. ZSJL - 9/10
3. Flash - 9/10
4. BvS - 8/10
5. Aquaman - 7/10
6. Wonder Woman - 6/10
7. Justice League - 6/10
8. Shazam - 6/10
9. The Suicide Squad - 6/10
10. Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom - 5/10
11. Wonder Woman 1984 - 3/10
12. Suicide Squad - 2/10

Birds of Prey, Black Adam, Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, Peacemaker - didnt care & didnt watch these

@bionicbob, you didn't put Peacemaker in your list.
Oops... you are right. I guess I was just thinking about the movies.

I enjoyed most of Peacemaker. But as with most Gunn projects, a scene or joke runs too long or is too juvenile. But there were also some genuine moments of drama and pathos.
But as an actual ranking? I guess I would put it in the middle of the pack, and give it a 6/10.

Sure, I'll jump on this bandwagon
  1. Peacemaker (Season 1): 10/10: I loved every minute of this show so far. I have no idea what's going to happen with the universe reboot, so it could tank in the future
  2. Wonder Woman 9/10: The DCEU tries to do a Captain America and pretty much nails it but then flubbed the ending
  3. Shazam! 8/10: Pretty fun, not the best movie ever but that's ok. I loved the scene where Billy couldn't hear Sivana because he was flying too far away
  4. Birds of Prey 7.5/10: Maybe a bit unfocused, but I still really enjoyed it. I haven't watched Wakeupkeo's chronological edit yet, but I think that would probably pump it up to an 8 or 8.5 for me.
  5. The Suicide Squad 7.5/10: A bit manic, and I didn't love it as much as Peacemaker even though it has the same energy. Still a lot of fun though and way better than the "original".
  6. Aquaman 7/10: Pretty fun. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. A lot of the humor worked for me but not everything.
  7. Man of Steel 6.5/10: I think Zack Snyder fundamentally doesn't understand Superman, or what makes a hero in general.
  8. Shazam! Fury of the Gods! 6/10: I quite liked the first movie, but this one felt largely like an unnecessary retread of some ideas, and failed to move the story forward with the family in any meaningful way. A real squandered opportunity.
  9. Zack Snyder's Justice League 5/10: I think Zack Snyder fundamentally doesn't understand what a movie is. How could this have been his original intent for the story? He tries to cram too much material in too quickly, and papers over the problems with clunky exposition. The ideas here were still ok, but it could have been so much better...
  10. Justice League 4/10: ...but not like this. Wow. While this version was less of a downer than Snyder's, it was somehow still more unpleasant to watch. Maybe due to Joss Whedon's ideas of humors being shoved into a movie that was clearly not his own?
  11. Wonder Woman 1984 3/10: I was really expecting to love this movie, and even got my wife (who generally hates superhero stuff) to watch with me and we were both disappointed. Mostly just bored.
  12. The Flash 2/0: The behind-the-scenes production issues and Ezra Miller's very public mental health crisis really diminished my expectations for this over the years. I was pumped when it was announced, and only begrudgingly went when it finally came out. I already didn't like Miller's version of the character and having two of them was worse. Seeing Keaton was fun, but as with all of the weird CGI stuff at the end, it was trying to use nostalgia to hold up a weak film. I did think Sasha Calle was great as Supergirl and I'm disappointed we won't be seeing any more of her.
  13. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom 1.5/10: A pointless, boring sequel that leans on childish humor that doesn't work at all. What a pathetic end to this cinematic universe.
  14. Black Adam 1.5/10: Shazam! but without Shazam or any likeable characters.
  15. Suicide Squad 1/10: Unintelligble mess. I would like to have gotten to see Ayer's cut, which I doubt was good but which was probably coherent.
  16. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 1/10: Absolute garbage. When I saw this in theaters at one point I (unintentionally) sighed at some dumb line loud enough that the people next to me heard and laughed. This was the beginning of the end for the DCEU, showing that they were more interested in cramming ideas in to build a universe before it had any legs. And that's made even worse by that happening in the second film in the series.
I meant to watch Blue Beetle when it dropped on Max but I forgot. I'll have to watch this weekend.

First look at the new Superman logo.

GHiSM7qXsAAG88k

Looks like they went for the Kingdome Come symbol. The movie is also renamed, it's just Superman now.

Not a fan of the original film, big fan of DonKamillo's mini-series edit. But I was looking forward to this one. I strongly believe that it should've been set in the DCU. I mean, it's not too late. Pattinson will be 40 when the film is out, and since The Brave & the Bold is about Batman finding out he's got a son, Pattinson will have the perfect age by then, if they decide to turn Brave & Bold into The Batman 3.

I didn’t love the first The Batman but I am cautiously optimistic about the sequel. I have to say I’m tired of Joker though. BUT I love Barry Keoghan. 🤷‍♂️

That article has got info on a lot of interesting projects though. All three of the other movies sound more interesting than Batman to me.

I didn’t love the first The Batman but I am cautiously optimistic about the sequel. I have to say I’m tired of Joker though. BUT I love Barry Keoghan. 🤷‍♂️
I'm more excited for The Penguin than The Batman II, Colin Farell killed it as Oswald Cobblepot, even tho making him Italo-American with such a British-sounding name is weird, why not make him part of the Irish mob?

Yeah, I'm joining you about Mr. J, I'm so tired of him being everywhere, give me Hugo Strange and Scarface!
That article has got info on a lot of interesting projects though. All three of the other movies sound more interesting than Batman to me.
The mob film with De Niro and Cosmo Jarvis sounds rad! I'm loving every bit of Shogun by the way.

Back
Top Bottom