• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The DC Extended Universe Thread

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Imagine my surprise finding out there isn't a dedicated DCEU thread up.

Whether you like them, love them, hate them, or something in between, it seems we all have something to say about the DCEU. And given its controversial history, how could you not?
Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where the franchise as a whole can be discussed, since threads for the individual films get very long and stay active long after the film debuts.

And now is the best time to start that discussion, since the universe is about to bust open.

We're getting storylines that carry on between films (Flash learns he can move back in time in ZSJL -> he goes back in time in The Flash and accidentally brings Keaton's Batman to the DCEU -> Keaton's Batman goes on to mentor Batgirl)

Fan favorite characters are reprising their roles (Michael Shannon's General Zod, Antje Traue's Sub-Commander Faora-Ul, J.K. Simmons' James Gordon, Jurnee Smollett's Black Canary)

We're getting set-up for future storylines (The Suicide Squad set up the Peacemaker series, which Gunn claims will set up other DC properties)

Long gone are the days where we were lucky to see a character's picture on a wall in the background.

What's everyone's favorite DCEU film? Or better yet, how would you rank them all?

I find it hard to believe there isn't already a thread somewhere... but I can't find it either. I feel like there are some older threads that got shoved into the ether after we changed software.

Edit: there is a very dusty DCEU ideas thread, if relevant. https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/dceu-edit-ideas.15417/

Last edited:
I'd say the Dark Knight trilogy would be my favorite. Batman more the way I'd imagine. Keaton's Batman was decent, then they went off the rails. Wonder Woman was also good--and TinyBreadMouse's edit makes it much better. There are aspects of the Suicide Squad I enjoy despite myself.

Dark Knight Trilogy isn't DCEU.

I like MoS/BvS/ZSJL and maybe Aquaman, the rest - not so much.

First Wonder Woman was way overrated, watchable but nowhere near something I'd call a good movie (and too much like CA:FA/Thor rip off to me), second was a trainwreck. Shazam is something I'd rather see as separate thing (too much like some kid's friendly cartoon) and I couldnt care less for any Harley Quinn related movies (despised first SS, the second was so-so but I' m not going to rewatch it anytime soon, and I cant find any reasons to watch BoP).

As Keaton's Batman was a big part of my childhood (still 10/10 in my book just as BB and TDK), I will probably watch anything that includes him just because he's there (at least until they'll manage to mess it up in some way). I am not a fan of Flash looks in upcoming movie though. Like, at all.

-----------------

MoS / BvS / ZSJL - 8/10 (MoS being my favourite from the three, so, maybe 8,5)
Aquaman - 7/10
WW, Shazam, TSS - 5/10 (maybe 6/10 for WW, depends on the mood)
WW84 - 4/10
SS - 3/10
BoP - N/A

So, there's nothing comparable to B'89, BR, BB, TDK and Watchmen (all 10/10).

Last edited:
It's true that the Dark Knight Trilogy isn't technically DCEU, but it is all one big multiverse at the end of the day.

Honestly Birds of Prey is in my top 3 of the DCEU. Loved it. Wish the original cut would get a release. I'm so sick of WB being so stingy with their footage.
I'd say the Dark Knight trilogy would be my favorite. Batman more the way I'd imagine. Keaton's Batman was decent, then they went off the rails. Wonder Woman was also good--and TinyBreadMouse's edit makes it much better. There are aspects of the Suicide Squad I enjoy despite myself.
Kind words, thank you. I need to get around to uploading smaller video files to MEGA.

Well if we counting all DC movies then:

B'89, BR, BB, TDK, Watchmen - 10/10
MoS / BvS / ZSJL - 8/10 (MoS being my favourite from the three, so, maybe 8,5)
TDKR, Aquaman - 7/10
Superman / SUperman II - 6/10
BF, WW, Shazam, TSS - 5/10
WW84 - 4/10
B&R, Green Lantern, SS - 3/10
Superman Returns 2/10
BoP, Superman III / IV - N/A (dont remember III, never watched IV)

One's mileage with a SuperHero movie varies greatly, depending on one's background and expectation.

Myself, I am now 51, and have been reading super hero comics since I was four years old. I was weened on Silver Age reprints, devoured Bronze Age Heroics, matured through the Grim & Gritty Deconstruction Era, and I still read, though much lesser so, the very Event Driven Modern Age . But my core foundation of what I want and need from my superhero adaptation was very much laid by the stylings of the 1970s and 80s.

THE MULTIVERSE:

Superman The Movie/Superman II 9/10 (this is MY Superrman)
Superman III & IV 6.5/10 (some nice bits and pieces, but a weak whole)
Batman 89/Batman Returns 7/10 ( I prefer Returns over 89, some great visuals and moments)
Batman Forever/Batman & Robin 6/10 (colourful, a silly step in the wrong direction)

Green Lantern 7/10 ( a rushed production with a boring CGI villain but otherwise very faithful to the source material)
Watchmen 8/10 (dark, cynical, violent, deconstructive... pretty much like the original comic)
Batman Begins 8/10 (a very solid origin flick)
The Dark Knight 8/10 (a brilliant follow up, even though the messaging is a bit of a mess)
The Dark Knight Rises 5/10 (nice visuals but the story is a mess and I don't recognize Batman at all)

THE DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE:

Man of Steel 7/10 ( a movie I enjoyed in theatres but like less and less on each rewatch)
Batman V Superman 3/10 (Hate it. A Superman without Hope and a Batman who believes a 1% chance justifies murder)
Suicide Squad 6/10 (some nice characters beats but the CGI climax left me uninterested)
Wonder Woman 8/10 (Gal Gadot completely wins my heart)

Justice League 2016 6/10 (I appreciated Whedon's more iconic take on the characters and the humanity he tried to inject)
ZS's Justice League 6/10 (amazing visuals, but cool does not equal good characters)

Aquaman 9/10 (absolutely loved how this movie embraced the fun and ridiculousness of comic book heroes)
Shazam 7/10 (fun film but the tone was wildly uneven)
Birds of Prey 7/10 (fun action, thin script, clever narrative but I was disappointed by the interpretation of Canary, Huntress and Cassandra)

Wonder Woman 84 7.5/10 (a fun, if uneven, adventure that left me smiling at the end)
The Suicide Squad 6.5/10 (the humour is a bit too preteen at times but I appreciated the Ostrander elements)

Last edited:
Man of Steel - 7/10, Solid origin story
Batman v. Superman - 6/10, Ambitious but disappointing
Suicide Squad - 5/10, Visually stunning, packed with potential, very little executed properly
Wonder Woman - 7.5/10, Strong origin story, charismatic lead

Justice League (2016) - 4/10, Insultingly bad writing, mildly entertaining otherwise
Aquaman - 6/10, Lots to like, nothing to love
Shazam! - 7/10, Solid origin story, features one of the best superhero gimmicks
Birds of Prey - 6.5/10, Best Harley Quinn portrayal in the DCEU, decent BoP introduction, held back by the underdevelopment of the story

Wonder Woman 1984 - 8/10, Building on what worked in the original (Gadot, Pine, the dialog, the humor, the heart) while fixing on what didn't (the action, the villains, the plot)
Zack Snyder's Justice League - 8/10, Builds off the strong foundation of MoS/BvS/SS/WW and feels like a proper conclusion to that first era of DC
The Suicide Squad - 6.5/10 - Worst Harley, but overall a very solid 'film' experience that oftentimes breaks free from its comic book constraints

I definitely prefer the 'grounded' take we've seen in MoS/SS/TSS/BoP since that most closely resembles the comic era I grew up with, but the Golden Age inspired stuff has been decent enough as well. Some stuff falls flat, but overall each film has been at least highly entertaining, if not genuinely good.

Upcoming stuff:
Peacemaker - Indifferent
Black Adam - Cautiously Optimistic
The Flash - Excited
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Indifferent
Batgirl - Excited
Shazam! Fury of the Gods - Cautiously Optimistic
Blue Beetle - Cautiously Optimistic

I like to follow production news and leaked stuff, so potential spoilers for TSS/Peacemaker & Future DCEU storylines ahead

It's been known by scoopers that Holland's character appears in Black Adam to recruit someone into something. Most rumors say it's Atom Smasher, others say it's Dr. Fate. No one knows what it's meant to set-up though. But it looks like Gunn's tweet pretty much confirms the leak is true.

Potential spoilers for The Flash & future DCEU storylines ahead

Affleck recently stated he doesn't love tentpole films, and now he's stated that his time spent working on reshoots for ZSJL and principal photography for The Flash "put a really nice finish" on his time as the character, and now states his favorite scenes as Batman are in The Flash. I'm guessing Affleck has a more sizable role than what we're being led to believe. He reportedly spent a week filming. For context, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire spent two weeks filming their Spider-Man 3 roles, so we can expect at most to see Affleck appear for an entire act of the film.

Last edited:
Potential spoilers for Black Adam ahead

EDIT: It's for de-aging. Cameras take thousands of hi-res images from all angles of the face to capture as much data as possible. Funny enough, this isn't anything new, afaik this is fairly standard for expensive de-aging techniques.

The rig looks insane, and this is apparently part of the extensive VFX work being done. Black Adam is said to be an innovation in CG action films, and I've lost count of how many times Hiram, the Rock, or Collet-Serra said they had to invent something for the film simply out of neccessity. Looks to be a visual treat akin to Aquaman, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad.

If there is one thing the terrible theatrical cut of SS did right, it was show WB that a flashy comic book universe can still be used for "serious" films and not kept solely for the sillier films. 'Realism' is just a way for lazy filmmakers to justify thinking inside the box.

Last edited:
Potential spoilers for Black Adam ahead

McFarlane DC Multiverse toy listings confirm that Sabbac will be the main antagonist in the Black Adam film. For those who don't know, Sabbac is essentially the 'mirror-version' trope of Shazam, a character given his powers by demons rather than gods (Satan, Aym, Belial, Beelzebub, Asmodeus, and Crateis). This scoop was first reported on by Illuminerdi and Murphy's Multiverse all the way back in October 2020, and confirmed this month.

New clip from Peacemaker that directly references The Suicide Squad

I think I'm going to love this show. The clips they've released, so far, are hilarious.
Also... wild that we're finally seeing connectivity between DCEU films again, right?

Remember in 2018 and 2019 when a newspaper clipping about Wonder Woman and a headless Superman cameo were the best we could hope for?

Glasgow streets are currently being prepped for a chase sequence. They'll be filming tomorrow late at night. It's possible we may see the first glimpses of Grace in costume. I have my Twitter notifications on. Like I did with Pattinson, I'll post the leaked suit images here.

There is a certain leaker on r/DCEUleaks and Twitter receiving a lot of attention for their scoops on Flash, Batgirl, and the overall franchsie, namely the upcoming long-term plans revolving the League and the universe. Looks like one of Gunn's many offerings to DC was how to properly employ 'leakers' who build social media hype. I mean, Batgirl has been trending for almost a week thanks to high-res images of nearly all the set design and a large part of that is thanks to these conveniently well-timed JL rumors/scoops.

Anyway, that same leaker has recently dropped some juicy info.

As of right now, Cavill's presence in The Flash is archived footage, and he will not be returning to the role thanks to 'unreasonable demands', which isn't anything new, as this was first rumored to be the case during the 2018/2019 re-negotiations, where it was alleged that Cavill wanted to help pick the director/writer and to receive a producer's credit to ensure story input. There is still internal hope he'll return for the Supergirl film, but he didn't return for Shazam, ZSJL, The Flash, or The Suicide Squad, so I wouldn't hold out hope.

Harry Lennix will reprise his role as Martian Manhunter in a cameo role, but is a 'rebooted' version, akin to Commissioner Gordon in Batgirl

Dylan OBrien is the frontrunner for Robin the Batgirl film, and if the other Twitter scoopers are to be believed, he's already landed the role.

Batgirl will be the first film in a 'Bat-corner' of the DCEU (similar to the Squad-corner and Shazam-corner), which will go on to set up a Nightwing film. Keaton is currently attached to said Nightwing film.

A new Harley Quinn project is in the works, written by Hodson, and also with Keaton attached.

Sylvester Stallone auditioned against Brendan Fraser over the roles of Carmine Falcone and Firefly. Fraser landed the role of Firefly, and it's now believed that Stallone could be playing Falcone.

Black Canary will appear in an 'extended cameo', so probably equal to or greather than Batman's presence in Suicide Squad

The Batgirl film will establish the League of Assassins, which will come into play in the Black Canary film.

Peacemaker is great. Been tweeting about the show all morning, Jennifer Holland liked my tweet praising Harcourt's explosion at Peacemaker in the bar. With all of the negativity surrounding DC lately, it's good to know the actors are seeing the praise first hand. I just wish social media was nicer.

Well, R.I.P. Batgirl. Killed during post-production by an idiot who would prefer frickin Shark Week to a major film featuring a member of the Batfamily for the first time since Batman And Robin, 25 YEARS AGO.

Is it too much to hope a workprint gets leaked and then some talented animator/SFX guy finishes it up?

Batgirl will be the first film in a 'Bat-corner' of the DCEU (similar to the Squad-corner and Shazam-corner), which will go on to set up a Nightwing film. Keaton is currently attached to said Nightwing film.

200.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom