• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

...and trailer # 2...

Why do the villains get the cool comic book inspired costumes but the heroes get generic boring black armour?
Otherwise, this movie has me stoked! :)

First trailer had me thinking uh oh. THIS trailer. Wow! Looks really cool.

As long as Evan Peters' Quicksilver is in it, I don't care about the rest! ;-)

It's getting a mixed response. Forbes actually labels it a "Franchise Killer", Rotten Tomatoes has it at 45%

Here's collider's review

Oof, these mediocre reviews (currently at 50 on Metacritic; I don't care about no fruit sites) have me concerned. Even the very geek-friendly IGN only gave it a 7/10 ("Good"), though I don't recognize the particular reviewer. On the better side, though, Chris Stuckmann gave it an A-.

... Whatever, I'm totally going to see it anyway. :cool:

Happy day! The San Francisco Chronicle's Mick Lasalle, one of the nation's best film critics and a hard guy to please when it comes to action/superhero movies, has given Apocalypse a "little man clapping" rating, calling it a "thinking person's action movie." Though he's usually very diligent about not describing plot details beyond the first act, I won't read the review yet, but this is definitely good to hear. :cool:

(For comparison, he gave an "interested" reviews to Civil War and First Class, a "snoozing" for BvS, a "clapping" for Days of Future Past and Man of Steel, and a "wild clapping" for The Force Awakens and Spectre. He also gave Into Darkness a clapping rating and Deadpool a snoozing one. I don't always agree with him, of course - does anyone ever always agree with any one critic? - but I always enjoy his reviews, which may be the most consistently best-written since Ebert's passing.)

Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnson also praised it, even calling it superior to Civil War

Just saw it.

It's a passable film, I can see where the critics are coming from with it, and it feels a lot of times like it's more Magneto's movie than Apocalypse's time to shine, which really hurt it, but if you're a continuity buff, you'll see a lot of things paid off in terms of character arcs.

For all the complaints about Lawrence not being blue for too long, I feel she was blue enough times in the movie to let her preferences pass. She doesn't do a whole lot in the film besides lecture though, but she does'nt make a lot of her powers until a crucial scene in the final battle.

On to the nitpicks

Scott has a promising start, and I liked he and Jean's initial meeting and destroying Xavier's favourite tree. Sadly that's all the good stuff you get from him as becomes the fairly generic X-leader he's always been in these movies afterwards. Havoc has more range, as was expected, but unfortunately he gets blown up at the end of the first act.

I love the little touch of Nina unleashing her powers over the birds when Eric's about to be taken away, it's a callback, without using flashbacks, to how Eric unleashed his powers in the camps when his parents were taken. Unfortunately, Nina and her mother are cut down to give Eric motivation to join with Apocalypse of his own vocation. That forest scene is perhaps the best part of the movie and has some great acting in it from Fasbender.

Just how in the hell did Quicksilver know the mansion was going to blow up?

Don't bother with Jubilee folks. She barely has any lines and stands there. No powers on display either.

Archangel looked pretty dead when the jet struck the Earth. They did show a body, I don't think it was breathing.

I don't think there was any reason for Moira to be in this other than the info-dump she gives Charles and Alex when they arrive at CIA. We do get the neccersary mentions of her failed marriage and a photo of her son. Knowing how important he is to later Storylines, I hope we get more of him. Charles waits until the end of the movie to awaken Moria's memories from First Class.

Also did'nt think Stryker needed to be in this, the whole thing seemed a pretty contrived manner of getting everyone to the base for a Wolverine cameo.

So Pyschocke is going to be a bad guy going forward? Storm and Magneto turned on Apocalypse, but Warren and her did'nt, and the look she gives the X-Men as she gets away hints at vengeance down the line.

The way Xavier loses his hair makes sense for what it was (Apocalypse transferring himself into his body and trying to shape it in his image), I just found it a bit lazy

"All is revealed"....YAY, PHOENIX POWERS. Blow the ineffective villain away like paper.

Logan's rampage was pretty gruesome. Blood splattering everywhere.

I was expecting Mystique to die or something, but it ends with her now mentoring the team alongside Charles, with Eric as ever undecided. Even if this might be the last Lawrence plays the character, there's some optimistic closure to her journey

I'd give it ***1/2, and may see it again just for a second opinion

I saw it last night. Not impressed. It's not Origins bad, but it is way too close to The Last Stand bad for my liking. On first viewing I think Apocalypse might be worse. XM:A has good character moments in a rubbish plot, whereas XM:TLS butchered characters in a pretty good plot. They kind of balance out.

I'm already thinking about how you could cherry-pick good Scott/Jean/Charles material for a new X3 fan edit.

I watched X-M:A this morning and thought it was damn good. A few flaws here and there but nothing major. Kodi Smit-McPhee was fantastic as young Nightcrawler. Fassbender gave it his all as per usual, heartbreaking stuff. Quicksilver stole the show again!

Random flaws...

- I could imagine anybody who had not watched and re-watched the other X-Men films being totally lost with all the characters, plots and time-period references. It worked perfectly for me.
- Quite a few surprisingly ropey FX shots sprinkled amongst the vast amount of FX in the movie and a couple that were on the "What the f*ck, is this a fan film?" level :D .
- Quicksilver not telling Magneto he was his son just at the crucial moment when Magneto really needed a solid reason to do a u-turn was very odd.
- The Apocalypse costume/makeup was indeed rubbish, as it looked in the promotional photos. It was largely saved by Isaac's performance though.
- A guy with Angel wings and no other superpower is one of the four best mutants Apocalypse could have recruited? He deserved to lose on that basis alone.
- Rose Byrne's performance wasn't as jaw droppingly terrible as it was in X-M:FC but it wasn't great either.

I think it's the kind of movie that it's easy to pick little holes in but is still a terrific piece of entertainment nonetheless

TM2YC said:
I watched X-M:A this morning and thought it was damn good. A few flaws here and there but nothing major. Kodi Smit-McPhee was fantastic as young Nightcrawler. Fassbender gave it his all as per usual, heartbreaking stuff. Quicksilver stole the show again!

Random flaws...

- I could imagine anybody who had not watched and re-watched the other X-Men films being totally lost with all the characters, plots and time-period references. It worked perfectly for me.
- Quite a few surprisingly ropey FX shots sprinkled amongst the vast amount of FX in the movie and a couple that were on the "What the f*ck, is this a fan film?" level :D .
- Quicksilver not telling Magneto he was his son just at the crucial moment when Magneto really needed a solid reason to do a u-turn was very odd.
- The Apocalypse costume/makeup was indeed rubbish, as it looked in the promotional photos. It was largely saved by Isaac's performance though.
- A guy with Angel wings and no other superpower is one of the four best mutants Apocalypse could have recruited? He deserved to lose on that basis alone.
- Rose Byrne's performance wasn't as jaw droppingly terrible as it was in X-M:FC but it wasn't great either.

I think it's the kind of movie that it's easy to pick little holes in but is still a terrific piece of entertainment nonetheless

I am going with a friend after having done a marathon of "X-Men: First Class" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past", and haven't seen it yet.  Nonetheless, what did you think, TM2YC?  Is it really that bad as they say it to be?  I understand people being underwhelmed after "Days of Future Past" which is pure art.  I am so excited to finally see Weapon X done right!!!!

For anyone who has already seen the film, can you describe the context of Apocalypse's "Everything they've built will fall" speech? 

Judging from the trailers, it was changed around - in the first trailer, he says this against a blue/dark-cloud background.

In the latest one, he states this against a bright-orange bg, where buildings start to collapse in the back. 

Also, was Isaac's voice modulated at all during this speech?

Neosmith said:
For anyone who has already seen the film, can you describe the context of Apocalypse's "Everything they've built will fall" speech? 

Judging from the trailers, it was changed around - in the first trailer, he says this against a blue/dark-cloud background.

In the latest one, he states this against a bright-orange bg, where buildings start to collapse in the back. 

Also, was Isaac's voice modulated at all during this speech?

VisFX are rarely 100% finished in trailers these days and feature alternate takes and scenes but to answer your question with a big spoiler...

...he is giving that speech as Magneto levels Auschwitz.

Saw it today, not bad, not great either just kinda okay/good.
Some nitpicks
I felt the opening was a bit boring, we see how Apocalypse the 'first mutant' uses his power to transfer to other bodies except it gets sabotaged, but I'm pretty sure some of his followers had powers too.
I expected Charles to lose his hair during the Cerebro hijack scene.
Evan Peters was great again even if he sorta did the same thing, I'm wondering if his injury at the end depower him to Age of Ultron Quicksilver levels of less useful.
Magneto's arc was good, but having him settle down after the events in DOFP made no sense to me, was his wife human? I'd never have saw that coming given his overall hatred.
Angel is as pointless as his X3 counterpart.
Storm just feels like she's there for the sake of it (and just like Angel, she mostly is)
Sophie Turner is IMHO not good and it makes no sense for her to unleash phoenix powers at the end.
Jubilee is the most pointless addition, she does absolutely nothing. Blink in X2 did more than her.

Wolverine Cameo was okay, not gratuitous but also not humerous, just kinda passable.

I don't know why but the trailers all looked VERY weak to me.
I liked First Class and Days of Future Past a lot but strangely I think i'm not going to watch this one.

I give this 4/5. Epic action scenes.

Posted from my portable device using Tapatalk

Eventhough this was directed by Singer, it was imho the weakest X-men-movie to date. It had nowhere the refinement or the deepness of Xmen 1 and 2, and even the newer ones like "First Class" and "Days of Future past" (despite a few plotholes) were imho much more convincing. Many things were imho introduced and dealt with in a clumsy way, and the main-opponent's character was imho flat and his motivation shallow, and he poses neither an emotional nor a thematical challenge for the "good guys".

Angel and Storm deserved a much better introduction than they received through this movie.

And the scenes with Stryker could have been completely removed from the movie, they had no meaning for the story of the movie, probably only shoehorned in to show Wolverine.

The young Jean Grey was nice, and the quicksilver-scene in Xavier's school was awesome, though, and some of the action had a fitting harshess to it.

For me it's a 5/10 movie. For comparison: 

Xmen 1: 8/10, Xmen 2: 9/10, Xmen 3: 6/10, Xmen First Class: 8/10, Xmen days of future past: 8.5/10.

Best post credits scene ever...!

In the MC2/Spider-Girl comic continuity, the X-Men did change their names to "X-People" eventually :D

Mild spoilers

I agree with the "good, not great" majority opinion. Great cast, fun characters, cool action... but there's a definite sense of wheel-spinning and plot point recycling, also. (Weapon X again, Stryker threatening the school again, Mystique shifting loyalties again, cage fighting again, Cerebro backfiring on Xavier again, forming the team again, Quicksilver single-handedly saving the day again, Cyclops' origin again, hints of Phoenix again...)

My biggest issue, though, was the weirdness of the post-1973 Magneto backstory. At the end of DoFP, with the cameras on him, he proclaimed a new day for mutants to reveal themselves, and to take up their rightful place as leaders of the world... only to abruptly retire to a humble, anonymous blue-collar life because he met K̶a̶y̶l̶a a beautiful brunette? And at the end of this movie, despite having killed a whole bunch more people, Xavier happily lets him go, rather than at the very least placing him on lifelong house arrest on the school's grounds?! Because we all know he's going to kill again; it's only a matter of time! And when he does, somebody should definitely sue the pants off the Professor.

I know nothing of the comics, but seems to me this movie should have been Magneto's (Genosha/Asteroid M/whatever) mutant utopia story, with maybe a few hints of Apocalypse as set-up for the next. I guess they could still do that story, and have Mags be the main villain, but it'd likely feel damned awkward, especially now that the X-Men are up and running again, unlike at the end of 1973, whereas Mags is just a dude in respectable civilian clothes. Indeed, the big Magneto ascendancy promised at the end of First Class has been pretty much ruined by Singer twice in a row now.

All that said, I did quite enjoy the movie, and would happily watch it again sometime. (Unlike, *cough*, BvS, *cough*.) I'm not sure what the path forward is, though: if they try to go cosmic for the next main X-Men film, it may look like a pale imitation of the MCU, which will have had two GotGs plus the Thors and first Infinity War. On the other hand, after six main Earthbound flicks, and a Big Bad as big and deadly as Apocalypse, more of the same could be just problematic. I'm far from giving up on the franchise, and look forward to seeing what's next, but it's pretty impossible to deny that the MCU has the biggest and best game in town.

My grade: B. (About as good as Civil War, which had a fresher story, but is hampered by the fact that it revolves around Bucky, the MCU's least interesting major character by far.)

Back
Top Bottom