• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Working with iTunes video files

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to use some TV episodes I purchased on iTunes to so a small editing project. The problem is that every video converter I've thrown at them can't do anything. Vdub, VDubMod, and a couple other more obscure ones that I've used before. Has anyone else had any luck working with these?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too have tried working with iTunes video files before, in many different ways, and, as with you, none of the many video converters failed at converting them.  I did some research and discovered that (as I feared), they are blocked, and therefore cannot even be exported to CD.  Maybe somebody has a solution.  We'll see.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the issue is that they still contain DRM. So think of it as a DVD that you copied to your HDD, but never stripped the copy protection.  I've never worked with iTunes files before, but from digging around it seems that there isn't a consistently good method for stripping the DRM.

I found this, but not sure how up-to-date it is: http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...ve-itunes-drm-fairplay-music-video-books.html

maybe someone who has actually worked with iTunes files recently can chime in.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll look into that when I get home! That topic looks like it's from 2011, but it's a better lead than I found last night. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Noteburner, though it cost money. I haven't had a problem with it (I occasionally purchase on iTunes, strip the DRM and put it on my Plex server.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have used TuneKit on the Mac for a while and it does a really good job of removing the DRM on iTunes movies and TV shows. There is a free trial so you can test with it before you purchase. They have a holiday sale going on now on all their products through 12/5.

Top Bottom