• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Working with iTunes video files

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to use some TV episodes I purchased on iTunes to so a small editing project. The problem is that every video converter I've thrown at them can't do anything. Vdub, VDubMod, and a couple other more obscure ones that I've used before. Has anyone else had any luck working with these?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too have tried working with iTunes video files before, in many different ways, and, as with you, none of the many video converters failed at converting them.  I did some research and discovered that (as I feared), they are blocked, and therefore cannot even be exported to CD.  Maybe somebody has a solution.  We'll see.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the issue is that they still contain DRM. So think of it as a DVD that you copied to your HDD, but never stripped the copy protection.  I've never worked with iTunes files before, but from digging around it seems that there isn't a consistently good method for stripping the DRM.

I found this, but not sure how up-to-date it is: http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...ve-itunes-drm-fairplay-music-video-books.html

maybe someone who has actually worked with iTunes files recently can chime in.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll look into that when I get home! That topic looks like it's from 2011, but it's a better lead than I found last night. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Noteburner, though it cost money. I haven't had a problem with it (I occasionally purchase on iTunes, strip the DRM and put it on my Plex server.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have used TuneKit on the Mac for a while and it does a really good job of removing the DRM on iTunes movies and TV shows. There is a free trial so you can test with it before you purchase. They have a holiday sale going on now on all their products through 12/5.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking into itunes as my source for the first time. Is there anybody here who's done it already? I've used very helpful guides to rip blu rays before but I'll be honest I've never downloaded a video from itunes, let alone dealt with copy protection or conversion. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@henzINNIT
Look at @DigModiFicaTion post above!
TuneKit is both a converter and DRM removal tool.
But you Will get much better quality from a Blu-ray disc.
And if you can find a second hand Bluray disc it Will be a much better and cheaper solution.

Last edited:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I buy digital films from Amazon and then use Red fox Anystream to download to MP4. Of course i only do this if the physical media is not available to purchase as digital is always of a lesser quality.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I buy digital films from Amazon and then use Red fox Anystream to download to MP4. Of course i only do this if the physical media is not available to purchase as digital is always of a lesser quality.
Wait, does this actually work without just being a screen capture? Because I would love a way to use the films I have purchased on Amazon. For one thing we opted to buy Batman 89 digitally rather than get the blu-ray (we being my family), and I'm sure that even if the digital copy is lower quality it'd still be better than editing my DVD copy.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I've read about that tool it looks like it downloads the stream and encodes it in a useable MP4.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So if i downloaded my purchase of Mars Season 2 and downloaded it through Anystream would this be allowed to use when i finally get around to my new Mars Phase 3 edit?

aVnm60lLx0Dko_0281J2g08txzscjK2apsdTuLYe-WMjGuN4fK30g2P4NAFHvm71c6O9edibyUxiC75K0fBdLTVMot0HFQ95AzBz4b-H1a8PB9vB9Pdz6r6usACuW5WQsvHhHya-6Zug_g5stxUmHkWz38WKBAAmPYU1S-RapG1nq3GW-r1mu7f4EzOSjWDoR66Lvti8pJLs-41HrFu8ImxkPct0r_XagLGINkciB2xvu8-au1x1kQeOd-UUxQfOix1Er0xZDPoQJcOrDWUV2AHi7qB6bOpgziAf_l2nBkbUbyT9cjifk3mXmaTFMxukKvGOiI19YyL1ZYRusdp66XH7L2Ek0LgBZc8HRGb9mO-XsN-YsuukJMYa1FrlxBprfhwfZ4DpZgKfEDasyvZp8Jj8kus1UOzWNzphDZ6Gab5cwehO4kxJ3mDuEM0OE8SeWpFFGqSUBSQvQE8eQtkOqEs1W_qTMPrS_jr81UuD24Z5eiuXrmWoxPkbYIbpftp-VqAvoq-NpxPTMoHivUfGnxikvDztHG9l9nzB_oqxk4Lh3LC65LswHNGyVGcF0s5ipd7MU4KZ6Y5Mr8UBki-GFEfM6a6WbQX0fWNoz1WYkrDiy4NKWoj7U1hS2bQcxazE0Hp4F37yFzRjuIbUOdKk4j_93QH_onFRNzh0Yk7Lwf26wz6WqaTiFEK3sxAB-iAZbCz4crMw95iT_YUldnLozR_J=w1849-h870-no

I only bought Anystream so i could rip my purchased digital copies. Mars 2 is only available on DVD and i wanted a 1080p file
NZGMuVe0C9HsU7X3Se7QZSMEomE7_PktTNQWoy1XCCRGzzI86tze6h5sM_IXMzXul3lwU8ANL8iRYGFoxQ7J2OATLo87--28nGTNMGjA8YXzBUIx6gwz3-H5HkCl3psnGXOip8Ffb6y9nz0P5rvBHheanvHl7n3w-2vdHrx254u-wc-gaOaxKqSHWkfp_1__IS3xpWtccaIb1uQmGA26W99hsfjMXkPVH0JeQZk86n7fbYINJav1DCIP0iNstRiPjilc3qg71iu7xHYv45ri28AcGxa39TfuFBOz-TGvzJlN1Uc0dZQIaku9_1faPvS4u6TmSIssnCGJo8dI1bwwixH3KiJQ6q8HyQU3SVX3tbnAooeBNZ8FR3DQwiIHYpV5JGJ3SUV2h6ArSdgmE_ka6Dz6Fk74f-YijvJ3R3GXMo0qkeHzMvudJO5bRYARZ6q-HuWDrnmlGnwlcfUVZ1fpKHWvR241LTQZL_AwaS6eyAiXOAgjwor44vVn3Y_Kew9a_OGFrwCxNRKPSCvndkw7-BFAXIHtu1pd78PAEGHAQnXUno4lFLoaA1rJD3QKzWNHXTkKXRdNM_W4ukOHXTu-A1zcJSR0winhobdqoKbEelizUfArmi87l7eTPTMODpbmn0SyFt4Buf3GRQCZpoDpH1AwtYMwwdpTAUYiUQ88SRcLZOU1YcsaMua7IwNBw9dHLNyJw93mdYFPOvXuk3nR1lvH=w783-h516-no

i'll probably need to do some more research and look at the redfox forum....i just needed a way to get access to files i own .

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a frugal person. Cost was my priority. Obviously second requirement is also getting something that truly removes DRM and isn't just screengrabbing. I figured iTunes was the only viable digital file distributor so that's what I looked into. I can't speak to the other programs mentioned but if they work that's fantastic!

For iTunes the cheapest solution I found is Leawo's software. I posted about it elsewhere but it works for me yet it's annoying to order.
Here's the quote of my other post, info is still relevant (in spoiler tags below)

(The actual cheapest solution I found is free and called Requiem but it isn't supported or updated anymore, is really old, you have to have a specific old Java runtime environment, a specific old iTunes version, and even when everything's working it maxes out at 720p. For me it wasn't worth it even though I tried, with that much time and effort for that result, I would rather just get a DVD (abandon the idea of HD) or fork up some cash for a real supported solution. The only way I found to remove DRM from full 1080p HD files is with paid software so what I think I found in spoiler tags below is the cheapest way to do that currently.)

After researching, the best solution I found is Leawo Prof DRM, it's kind of annoying to order on their site because by default they have a lot of other things checked, you need to uncheck everything and check the "Lifetime" button for the "Single function module" item called "Prof DRM Video Converter". It's $30 USD but works for iTunes in 1080p and when I put some HD content I purchased on iTunes through, it went rather quickly, I believe it is not re-encoding (hard for me to tell). This is the link to the page I'm talking about: https://www.leawo.org/tunescopy/purchase.html
Edit: I looked on their site and there's a coupon code active now (12/5/21 US date orientation) that takes off 30 percent, it takes this software to just under $21 USD. You can find it on their homepage or copy this and paste it in at the checkout screen: LEAWO-30PCT-OFF

Please do your own research before spending money on anything recommended, I am not responsible for what you buy. Hoping this helps point some in the right direction.

Last edited:

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I took addssin's advice and paid for Leawo. Can also report that it works well for those in need, I now have usable 1080 footage. I'd much rather a blu ray, but in these times it is good to know there's an itunes work-around when you have no better option.

I loathe apple so much though. Looks like I'm stuck with stereo sound, I can't even see the video properties through all the drm to know if that's just how it comes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@henzINNIT what movie did you convert? I use Viwizard M4V converter and get the option of lossless M4V or lossless MP4 5.1 ac3 outputs. There are options for selecting which audio tracks you want to include as well as subtitles.

Last edited:

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@henzINNIT what movie did you convert? I use Viwizard M4V converter and get the option of lossless M4V or MP4 5.1 ac3 outputs. There address options for selecting which audio tracks you want to include as well as subtitles.

I converted the Netflix Defenders series. I would assume it had more sophisticated audio than stereo, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to verify. The sound information is just missing from the M4Vs looking through windows, can't find any information through itunes on the files or even on the store, and I can't open them with any other media player to check either. The leawo convertor works okay but it is pretty much a one-click application with no visible options I've found.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you get a refund? I believe Viwizard is similar in price and I never have issues with it. It's simple, but also has options.

Edit:
Looks like the iTunes file is Dolby Digital 2.0 so it's not a Leawo conversion issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom