• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wonder Woman 1984

bionicbob said:

This isn't really the good news you're yearning for.

This is coming hot on the heels of WB decreeing a pandemic-high box office gross of  $16.7 million, which under any other circumstances is a truly pathetic number, it makes WB look premature and cocky in their spin of success. Like trying to apply make-up to conceal the black eye of an abused housewife.

It's also going to take forever to come out. Patty is locked in to direct a Star Wars movie. Aquaman 2, Flash, Shazam 2, Black Adam are all in various stages of production hell, and for all we know the Snyder cut might be a hit and convince Warner to adapt to it's tone again now that it's potentially understood better.

AT&T are laying off more and more people within WB too, add in the present drama with the streaming options that Patty has publicly criticised, and the split opinion of the movie's quality experienced both here and elsewhere, and this third entry will have a steep hill to climb to justify both it's expense, it's faith from the studio, and win back the crowds it's lost.

Zarius said:

Yeah I've seen this earlier today. Whilst i clearly enjoyed the movie more than he did, this is an excellent review by Chris Stuckman. As always, an intelligent and thoughtful analysis. I wish more reviewers would be as skillful in getting their thoughts across.

Zarius said:
bionicbob said:

This is coming hot on the heels of WB decreeing a pandemic-high box office gross of  $16.7 million, which under any other circumstances is a truly pathetic number

Yeah, but we're not in other circumstances. We're in a pandemic with theaters closed in most of the country.

bionicbob said:

Honestly, this was a pretty forgone conclusion, unless the film was an absolute bomb. Gal Gadot is kind of like Chris Hemsworth now... people just love her as a persona, regardless of if she has a lot of good movies under her belt or not. She's hot, does good press, and is extremely bankable. That's all DC needs to keep viewers coming to their films. They're not trying to do Shakespeare here.

asterixsmeagol said:
Zarius said:
bionicbob said:

This is coming hot on the heels of WB decreeing a pandemic-high box office gross of  $16.7 million, which under any other circumstances is a truly pathetic number

Yeah, but we're not in other circumstances. We're in a pandemic with theaters closed in most of the country.
Read the part where I said it was a 'pandemic-high', that tells you right there I know exactly what the circumstances are.

WB fast tracked Green Lantern sequels while the Ryan Reynolds movie was doing badly at the box office, and we know how that went. Sony fast tracked all these sequels and spin-offs for Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man after Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out....oh wait, didn't happen. Spider-Man 4 with Toby McGuire? Also fast tracked after Spider-Man 3 and close to starting production...oh wait, didn't happen. due to Spider-Man 3's bad word of mouth, Superman Returns had a follow-up developed...then it did a fairly average box office, so it didn't happen. Suicide Squad follow up got green lit, but had to be a page one reboot/rebuild from the ground up.

WW 3 will no doubt be even more different than WW 84, and hopefully it will be better when it does arrive, but WB announcing a sequel is no guarantee it'll happen swiftly, be it because of the pandemic, or because of less-than-cosy relationship between WB and AT&T.

Zarius, when you don't like a movie you can just say "I didn't like it", and move on. Don't let it consume you.

Watched on a small-ish screen rather than at a cinema, so maybe that was a factor, but I was underwhelmed. Loved the prologue and the mall action, but there was too little WW (as opposed to just Diana) in the second act. Didn't much care for the Quantum Leap/Source Code return of Trevor, although I did enjoy Pine's fish-out-of-water take. Lord's 'touching' everyone in the climax skewed the premise the film had set up and again fell flat for me. I enjoyed it, but after the excellent original film, I was expecting more. It went for different, which is fine. In fact, that's about what I thought at the end. It's fine.

In my opinion, it was pretty good.  I would've liked more Wonder Woman and a little less Diana, but overall it wasn't the garbage pile that too many make it out to be.  The overall problem is that people forget we used to have movies like Batman and Robin and Ghost Rider, so they call any superhero movie they don't like "the worst movie I've ever seen" with some hyperbolic anger.

It was basically Superman II without the tongue-in-cheek humor.  Was the plot a little convoluted?  Sure.  Could it have played up on the 80's setting more?  Sure.  Was it as good as the first one?  Nope.  Overall, it was fine.  Watching it at home, several months after its original release date and feeling jaded and angry with 2020 in general is definitely leading to some angered feelings it seems.

addiesin said:
Zarius, when you don't like a movie you can just say "I didn't like it", and move on. Don't let it consume you.

This is a fanediting site. We always let the idea of 'fixing' a movie, good or bad, consume us :p

My frustration comes largely from wanting to love it, but finding so much wrong with it that I just couldn't.

I see @"musiced921"  refer to films like Batman and Robin, and Ghost Rider as examples of when we have it really bad and can't distinguish between a cape film is good and when one is the worst ever anymore...but having edited Batman and Robin, I have come to find there is a good movie buried somewhere in there. If it were exposed to a modern audience sans so much of the camp, then Batman and Robin is exactly the kind of films both Marvel and DC are making now!

I don't think the reception to this film is hyperbolic at all, nor does it come from simply being frustrated with 2020 as a whole. If we're going to use that argument, I could easily say the same for all the 'Phantom Menacing' of this film...frustrations with our daily lives and a lack of any real superhero action means we have to settle for just about anything that lifts our spirits

People simply recognise that the movie is all over the place, messy, sloppy, riddled with plot holes, has no real stakes, and has questionable ethic approach to it's romantic angle. People recognize all those problems and more, as an editor, as a storyteller, I can see these problems clear as day also, and I do intend to do something about them in due course

I watched Disney's Soul on Christmas Day on Disney+, a film that, at 90 minutes, suffered from having a wealth of incredible ideas being given very little time, and an unclear ending, but it was also a  much better constructed film than this one at over two and half hours.

WW84 wasn't even the only Wonder Woman movie out this year, there was also Bloodlines, the animated DC movie released over the spring, and it is a far worthier, structured and engaging feature than this was, and I'm not so much a fan of the DC animated movies or it's version of Diana, so that's saying something.

I did not mean to be so consumed with playing Mr. Contrarian to everyone who have expressed positive thoughts about this film, it came out of a love of this site and it's community...I just could not believe some truly skilled editors and storytellers found so little wrong with this movie when everyone else can see what needs to be done.

Just because it's presently 2020 does not excuse a bad movie from being called out for what it is. This would have been received badly whether it had made it's intentional theatrical release date or not. It's just bad.

There's a difference between being obsessed with fixing what you don't like about it and harassing people for liking it. Just be careful not to go too far over that line.

I haven't even seen it yet, I have no opinion on the film.

@"Zarius", in re-reading my comment, I began reflecting on the idea that just because we had movies like Batman and Robin and Ghost Rider shouldn't excuse poor storytelling and the notion that "well it wasn't as bad as that".  It's like moving from a physically abusive relationship to a mentally abusive one.  Just because one doesn't seem as bad as the other does not make it any better whatsoever.

I understand where you are coming from.  I was passionately arguing the merits of the movie Soul on Facebook to a bunch of narcissistic music teachers (I can confirm that many are because I've worked alongside many over the years being a music teacher).  In that case, many were angered the movie wasn't about them and teaching music.  Sometimes we get heated because we're frustrated that others don't share the same sentiment on being hugely disappointed or hugely in love with a film.

So, in a long winded way, I feel you dude!  The movie was a mess and the rape-y vibe given off having to due with the Hallmark movie star, listed as "handsome man" in the credits, did leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I wasn't a Wonder Woman fan prior to the first film, so it didn't bother me how messy this film was.  People seem into Man of Steel and as a Supes fan, I don't see it because it's just not that good (casting and music aside).

musiced921 said:
I wasn't a Wonder Woman fan prior to the first film, so it didn't bother me how messy this film was.  People seem into Man of Steel and as a Supes fan, I don't see it because it's just not that good (casting and music aside).

Thanks for understanding @"musiced921"

I'm actually a bit of a casual WW fan myself, I've seen a handful of her post-crisis issues and watched the Lynda Carter series sporadically, I didn't particularly care for her much in the 90s and 2000s (at least until the Max Lord neck snap), because to me she was always the homewrecker in a bizzare love triangle between her, Clark and Lois Lane (all while Clark was married, not a good moral look for her), it was her finally realising her feelings for Clark were just an 'easy time' and not true love during the Rebirth run that made me a fan of the character fully, just as her movies were coming out.

Interesting perspective on Soul. I can somewhat feel a bit for those teachers, especially since there's bits with the gifted student that could have led to some tension between Gardner and 22, but that's skewing a bit off-topic :)

Back
Top Bottom