• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Womble and HD

This is just an observation, but Womble can open an MKV. The result is an absolutely awful looking letterboxed picture, but the program can import an MKV and you can add it to the timeline. I tried it today on the off chance, expecting the program to crash, but surprisingly it didn't. Whether this is a sign that MKV support is in Womble's future or not, I've no idea, but I though I'd share my finding.

EDIT: Hooray! My avatar's back! :smile:

Captain Khajiit said:
AvP said:
and it takes along time to export too.

Did you have to leave it overnight, or was it longer? Can you frameserve HD content to an external encoder, or is HD editing in Womble a total waste of time?

It was a 1 minute cut and took about 20 minutes.

Captain Khajiit said:
This is just an observation, but Womble can open an MKV. The result is an absolutely awful looking letterboxed picture, but the program can import an MKV and you can add it to the timeline. I tried it today on the off chance, expecting the program to crash, but surprisingly it didn't. Whether this is a sign that MKV support is in Womble's future or not, I've no idea, but I though I'd share my finding.

EDIT: Hooray! My avatar's back! :smile:

It seems so. I ran in an mkv and it saw the film as well as the dts audio track. In my case I dragged the mkv also on the audio line and the program did convert the dts to an ac3 5.1 stream

The irony here is that is you have a demuxed dts or mkv (in this one h264). Womble will not import either.

tranzor said:
The irony here is that is you have a demuxed dts or mkv (in this one h264). Womble will not import either.
Typical! Nice find about the DTS to AC-3 conversion though! :)

yeah it is, because it is a good and quick way to convert a dts to an ac3. If you remove the video timeline and just leave the audio it will still convert it for you

Hey, Tranzor,

if I mux a DTS track to a TS, M2TS or mkva(no video) Womble will import the DTS stream, but it only shows up as 2.0 in clip properties. Did you really manage to make it show as 5.1?

EDIT: Funnily enough my Womble will actiually import a DTS track, but it shows as 2.0.

Captain Khajiit said:
Hey, Tranzor,

if I mux a DTS track to a TS, M2TS or mkva(no video) Womble will import the DTS stream, but it only shows up as 2.0 in clip properties. Did you really manage to make it show as 5.1?

EDIT: Funnily enough my Womble will actiually import a DTS track, but it shows as 2.0.

so if you click on the dts file properties from the audio timeline it says 2.0 or 5.1?

in my case I had it muxed with video. I then copied what I had on the video timeline and pasted the clip on the audio timeline. It showed it as 5.1. When I exported it to an ac3 I made sure it had it has 5.1, but yes my dts showed up being correct

is it possible the dts track you are working with is actually 2.0? Try to mux it to an mkv but add a video and then see what happens in womble

tranzor said:
so if you click on the dts file properties from the audio timeline it says 2.0 or 5.1? is it possible the dts track you are working with is actually 2.0?

Yes; it is definitely 5.1, but it shows up as 2.0 in properties from the audio timeline. I have tried this from TS, M2TS or mkv(a) and it always shows this way. I shall have a go at muxing it with video and seeing if it shows as 5.1.

tranzor said:
in my case I had it muxed with video. I then copied what I had on the video timeline and pasted the clip on the audio timeline. It showed it as 5.1. When I exported it to an ac3 I made sure it had it has 5.1, but yes my dts showed up being correct

What was the quality like? I hope the result was true 5.1 and not upmixed. If it really was true 5.1, then this is a good if slightly involved way to use a DTS track as a source. I wonder why Womble reads audio streams without video as 2.0. :confused:

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes; it is definitely 5.1, but it shows up as 2.0 in properties from the audio timeline. I have tried this from TS, M2TS or mkv(a) and it always shows this way. I shall have a go at muxing it with video and seeing if it shows as 5.1.

What was the quality like? I hope the result was true 5.1 and not upmixed. If it really was true 5.1, then this is a good if slightly involved way to use a DTS track as a source. I wonder why Womble reads audio streams without video as 2.0. :confused:

have you tried another video with 5.1, might be an error with that stream

didn't sound up mixed because the music tracks at times were a bit louder than normal. This happens sometimes with 5.1 tracks and down conversion to 2.0 stereo via my dvd player since that is the type of output I have. I made a 2.0 track from the same dts source and you can hear a difference

tranzor said:
didn't sound up mixed because the music tracks at times were a bit louder than normal. This happens sometimes with 5.1 tracks and down conversion to 2.0 stereo via my dvd player since that is the type of output I have. I made a 2.0 track from the same dts source and you can hear a difference

Thanks. That's good to know. I shall give it a try when I have a moment when my computer is not busy doing something else! Perhaps I should contact Womble's staff about the DTS. It is defintely an area in which Womble could improve.

Well, I've been playing with some settings and I still cannot make DTS tracks show as 5.1. They now read as 2.0 with bitrate: 0 kbps, although they play fine. I can no longer import a DTS track that is not muxed with video: Womble gives me an error message. As Womble is using an external DirectShow filter for to read the track, obviously the decoder settings on my laptop aren't the same as on Tranzor's system. Does anyone else experience anything differrent when importing DTS tracks into Womble?

Weird! That's exactly what I'm using. Thanks anyway, Tranzor.

Maybe it has something to do with my soundcard. I really wish I could get this sorted. I have to be doing something wrong.

EDIT: Ah! It's the mixer option in ffdshow audio configuration. I set it to 5.1 and Womble wouldn't load the audio at all. Then I set it to 5 channels, and the DTS clip shows as 6 channel. The bitrate still shows 0 kbps, which it obviously is not. What does the bitrate shows up as for your 6 channel clips tranzor, and what do you have "mixer" set to?

I never touched the mixer setting so I assume it is at it's default when you highlight mixer and the box on the right shows, the only thing checked on that is the mixer box, nothing else is touched (my output speakers are set as 2.0.

IF you click on the output box which shows under the mixer option in the left panel, the right panel has this: The only items checked are 16bit integer and "allow direct file output". Nothing else is checked.

That's strange. My output settings are the same as yours. I wonder why it only reads as 0 kbps. I would expect 1536 kbps. I have also tried this with a different (half DTS) file and that reads a 0 kbps too.

It's also strange that you have 2.0 as your output speakers. Mine have to be set to 5.0 with the LFE checked for the DTS file to show up as 6 channels.

The good news is that I can now just mux a file to a transport stream and have it show up as 6 channels. I don't need to mux it to video.

EDIT: Tranzor, this might all be academic anyway. I just imported a DTS file into Womble, exported as AC-3 5.1 and split the 5.1 into 6 mono wavs. There were voices in all the channels. Are you sure Womble is not downmixing to stereo and simply upmixing the result? It almost sounds like all the soundtrack is in each wav actually. The LFE channel was empty!

Back
Top Bottom