• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

What is everybody reading?

I struggle to see how this will make a good Netflix series. It strengths lie in its realization of fringe theoretical physics that are explained through exhaustive exposition.
Agreed. And the trailer isn't giving me much confidence. The VFX scenes look really cheap. Increasingly, it seems like the playbook is to just put characters in front of a green screen and hope it comes out looking good in post production. If the budget is "low", they should stick to practical. Real people in a real place will always trump bad compositing (see: Andor), and a low budget production filmed with practical effects often seems like a big budget production these days... /end rant

I'm forcing myself to finish reading "Matter" by Ian M. Banks. I've promised myself if I get through it, I have permission to start the entire Culture series over again from the beginning. I read the first three in order many years ago and loved them (especially The Player of Games). I stalled out on the fourth, then started pulling ones randomly ("Inversions", "Matter"), but I didn't get through them for some reason. Same thing with The Algebraist. It's realllly good, but also exhausting. I'll go back to simpler times and start with Consider Phlebas again. :)

Agreed. And the trailer isn't giving me much confidence. The VFX scenes look really cheap. Increasingly, it seems like the playbook is to just put characters in front of a green screen and hope it comes out looking good in post production. If the budget is "low", they should stick to practical. Real people in a real place will always trump bad compositing (see: Andor), and a low budget production filmed with practical effects often seems like a big budget production these days... /end rant
I agree. Though I do think the green screen shots in the trailer are meant to represent the scenes inside the video game. Plus I think it’s about six months from air. So they may shore up effects. I don’t know the budget, but I would guess they’d have a healthy budget after all the money they threw at the GoT guys.

Finished The Terminator by Shaun Hutson. It was a quick read. Well chaptered, well paced. Not a lot of it is different from the movie itself, aside from the name of the club and the two love scenes which are explicitly detailed in the book, it doesn't hold back at all.

It is the movie in text form. You'd be better off seeing the movie as you get the exact same story, only with music and visuals. Still it's a cool companion book.

Next is Firefox by Craig Thomas.

Finished Firefox by Craig Thomas. That was a slog to get through. The book itself has a thickness that is more than your average book, surpassing the thickness of books that have 20-30 chapters, yet it only has 10 chapters!

It is not well chaptered in my honest opinion. Each chapter consists of between 11-17 pages. It took me over an hour to get through one chapter. So this book would take roughly 10 hours to get through if you aren't speed-reading and don't stop for anything.

The story itself is decent, but I felt like it ended too abruptly for my liking. Felt like it ended in a similar fashion to Prince of Persia, where the story cuts off at the end without an epilogue chapter to explain a bit of the aftermath. I felt this because I didn't feel the ending was a satisfying climax to warrant the story cutting itself off.

So on that note, I'd say the 1982 movie is better and includes a dogfight near the end (providing the better climax). Would recommend this book only if you're curious to know how the original story went that the movie is based on, but the movie is still the preferred option for experiencing the story.

Next I will be reading Alien 3 by Alan Dean Foster.

Finished Alien 3 by Alan Dean Foster. It is well chaptered, contains 14 chapters in total. It was a relatively speedy read, depending on how much time you sink into it each day/night.

The book itself follows the assembly cut of the movie for the most part. I didn't dislike any of it, it is the book version of the film. It's a good companion piece. I know it's probably going to make me sound like a real creep, but I think it would've been nice to have had the one love making part to be as well described as the love making parts of "The Terminator" by Shaun Hutson. I think it could've quite easily added to Ripley's humanity, and given a chance to explain exactly why she wanted to jump into bed with a stranger, possibly unravelling some of her feelings during the act and getting some reasonings. It's mostly because it just happens and then we move on.

However I had heard that Alan had backstories made for the prisoners which didn't make it in as he was under explicit authority, which in part is why he was apparently left embittered by the experience. So reasoning for the love making probably wouldn't have made it in even if he had plans for it.

Overall it was enjoyable.

Started Spider-Man 3 by Peter David.

I finished Good Omens last week, I ended up really enjoying it. I had some trouble getting into it at first, but by the end I was satisfied.

Anyways, now I'm reading Clive Barker's Books Of Blood. I'd started listening to an audiobook a while back, but gave up halfway through the first volume. I wanted to just say that his style isn't for me, but the thing is, I absolutely love two of the short stories, therefore if I keep reading on then I'm bound to find more to enjoy.

Finished Spider-Man 3 by Peter David. Quite a fun read, although I've always found Spider-Man 3 to be my favorite movie of the trilogy, so there could be a little bit of bias on my part.

As it is, the book is well chaptered, and didn't feel like a slog to read through. I think what surprised me is how quite a few things are actually different from the movie, such as the final battle and how Venom first meets Sandman being two examples of quite a few more.

I actually think the differences the book has from the film is what makes the book worth the read. Of course, it does still follow the plotline of the film, sometimes even down to a T in areas.

Overall I liked it and it was nice to read he alternate stuff that isn't in the film. I'd recommend it for those who like Spider-Man 3.

Next I'll be reading RoboCop 2 by Ed Naha.

Finished RoboCop 2 by Ed Naha. Well chaptered and a relatively short read. I found it enjoyable and it has some slight differences from the movie. Only one difference could be seen as an issue, which was the advertisement for sunblock 5000. In the movie, it's a blueish colored substance. In the book, it is described as black tar. Yeah, potential issues there. But the rest was decent, like showing RoboCop malfunctioning/struggling a lot more with the overload of directives, and I also liked the different ending, a lot less cheesy than the end of the movie, as such I prefer the book over the film.

Recommended. Also had time to blast through The Lego Movie 2 by Scholastic. Not much to say, well chaptered and a very quick read, it's the movie in text form.

Next will be Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling.

I’m about 2/3 through Brothers Karamozov. I read it when I was a teenager and the experience of reading it as an adult is definitely different.

Lots and lots of fanfiction. (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, lately). Although I did re-read Good Omens recently and enjoyed it. My to read pile is very very large.

Finished Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling. It turns out not to be a book on the movie, but the actual book authored by Newt in the movies/Harry Potter books, which shows off all the magical creatures with their descriptions.

Not much to say other than it's a decent companion book to the main Harry Potter books. It was a relatively quick read.

I took the chance to also start and finish the other 2 books in this set:

Quidditch Through The Ages by J.K. Rowling and The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling.

Both just as quick to read as Fantastic Beasts. The Quidditch one gives a more detailed and broadened history of the magical sport, it was enjoyable enough for what it was.

However, my favorite of the set is The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It consists of 5 different short stories, like fairytales. Each one is entertaining in their own right and it does include the tale of the 3 brothers from the Deathly Hallows. Out of the 3 books, this one was the best in my opinion.

I'd recommend all 3 of them for fans of Harry Potter, but a strong recommendation on the Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Ranking is as follows:

1. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
2. Quidditch Through the Ages
3. Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them

Next I will be starting Die Another Day by Raymond Benson.

I just yesterday finished Brothers Karamozov. Today I’m starting the third (and final?) book in Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time series, Children of Memory.

Anyways, now I'm reading Clive Barker's Books Of Blood. I'd started listening to an audiobook a while back, but gave up halfway through the first volume. I wanted to just say that his style isn't for me, but the thing is, I absolutely love two of the short stories, therefore if I keep reading on then I'm bound to find more to enjoy.
I have finished Books Of Blood Volume 1, and you know what? This book is pretty solid. I enjoyed it way more than when I tried listening to the audiobook. The only thing I really disliked was the framing story. You see, the framing story states that all of the following stories are written by ghosts telling their life stories. This forces all of the tales throughout these collections into the same universe, and implies that they're each supposed to follow a single subject. The stories are not written with this in mind. Every story switches between multiple perspectives, with no implications of who each storyteller is supposed to be. In one story, the main characters all end up as zombies, which leaves no room for ghosts. It's frustrating.
Anyways, Midnight Meat Train is still great, and more comedic than I remembered. The Yattering And Jack is still a great fun time. Pig Blood Blues is one that I thought was boring when originally listening to it but now I think it's pretty cool.
Sex, Death, and Starshine I skipped over the first time and I don't know why, it might be my new favorite. I think it's the one that'd work best as a movie, in particular it made me think of a 60's-70's Vincent Price movie (I'm not entirely sure why). In The Hills, The Cities is neat, it has an interesting concept though I found the imagery hard to visualize.

Now I have a predicament. Should I move right into Books Of Blood Volume 2, or should I take a break to read another book? I've been itching to get back to Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, but also I recently got Red Dragon which I've wanted to read for a long time, but I also have more Discworld books to read...

I just yesterday finished Brothers Karamozov. Today I’m starting the third (and final?) book in Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time series, Children of Memory.
Finished Children of Memory. Where the first two books were expansive this one felt smaller, and not really in a good way. It felt a bit like a lesser M. Night Shyamalan story. There were some good ideas but unfortunately they come after the “twist”—and only in the last fifty pages or so—so I can’t mention them without spoilers. I suppose it’s worthwhile to finish the trilogy, but for me it was a disappointment.

I’m on now to a gap in my classics, John Steinbeck’s “East of Eden.”

Finished Die Another Day by Raymond Benson. It was decently chaptered and was a relatively quick read. I found it enjoyable enough. It is the movie in book form. Not much else to say really.

Started Tomorrow Never Dies by Raymond Benson.

This forces all of the tales throughout these collections into the same universe
Something occurred to me. All of the Books of Blood are in the same universe. The Last Illusion is featured in one of the later volumes, introducing the character of Harry D'Amour. D'Amour later appears in The Scarlet Gospels, establishing him in the same universe as The Hellbound Heart. The Hellbound Heart thus exists in the Books of Blood universe, and this just feels weird to me. Hellraiser x Candyman when?

Finished Tomorrow Never Dies by Raymond Benson. Again, not much I can say since it's a book version of the movie. It is decently chaptered and is a mildly quick read depending on how much time you sink into it.

It's been a hot minute since I have seen the movie, but the villain basically tries to invent news in order to be the exclusive reporter on said news. So you can imagine my face when the Bond villain was listing potential future "stories" and one of them said "Russia's invasion of Ukraine".

giphy.gif

It was an enjoyable read.

Next I'll be starting Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming.

Finished reading Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming. It is well chaptered, and was a relatively quick read, again depending on how many hours you sink into it each day.

I had quite forgotten that these books were written a long time ago and as such they hold views that a majority of people today wouldn't consider acceptable. It does contain some racism, or at least what could be considered racist words/remarks. I didn't feel like that really added to the story in any beneficial way what-so-ever, it felt like it was just being racist for the sake of it.

The story itself was pretty boring too, especially for a Bond adventure. There's very little action, probably 2 or 3 little bits of action throughout the entire book, and even then it's very minimal. Most of the book Bond is just walking around talking, travelling or taking part in stuff, and of course, thinking to himself.

Ironically even Bond himself remarked in the book that the entire mission was boring, so at least the book was relatable there, because honestly, it was boring.

I honestly would not recommend it based solely on what little happens in the story. It really doesn't feel like a spy adventure at all.

Next I'll be starting Moonraker by Ian Fleming.

Finished Children of Memory. Where the first two books were expansive this one felt smaller, and not really in a good way. It felt a bit like a lesser M. Night Shyamalan story. There were some good ideas but unfortunately they come after the “twist”—and only in the last fifty pages or so—so I can’t mention them without spoilers. I suppose it’s worthwhile to finish the trilogy, but for me it was a disappointment.

I’m on now to a gap in my classics, John Steinbeck’s “East of Eden.”
Finished East of Eden. Starting Leviathan Wakes, the first book of The Expanse series. I haven’t seen the show.

Back
Top Bottom