• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is everybody reading?

I completely agree with you. During the latter part of the nineties there were advanced plans for an animated movie based on this book, featuring music by Jerry Goldsmith. Sadly that project never saw the light of day...
That is a real shame!

Any adaptation would be cool, but I've been imagining it as a stop motion film directed by Guillermo Del Toro. I think GDT and Clive Barker could make an amazing team.

Currently reading The Lord of the Rings. I completed The Fellowship of the Ring almost a decade ago, but I wasn't able to get far into The Two Towers. This time I'm gonna try to complete the entire story, ADHD be damned.

Finished the Star Trek VI novelization! It was rad, I only have one real gripe with it. Throughout the book, we see through the perspectives of a variety of characters, including Valeris. However, her characterization and her thoughts throughout completely contradict her reveal at the end. It's the one time where the author's added details just don't work. Or maybe I just completely misunderstand the character.
Definitely want to check out the other Star Trek books by J.M. Dillard, it seems she wrote the novelizations for movies 5 through 10 along with several non-movie stories.

For now I'm back to HGTTG, that's my current backup book for when I finish a book at work. Not sure what I'll be reading next, I've bought a bunch of books recently.

Finished The Goldfinch. Next up is some lighter reading for the holidays. I’m going to try out Joe Abercrombie and his The First Law series. Book one is The Blade Itself. I’ve heard he’s Sanderson for readers who care about characters. 🤣

That is a real shame!

Any adaptation would be cool, but I've been imagining it as a stop motion film directed by Guillermo Del Toro. I think GDT and Clive Barker could make an amazing team.
Indeed!

Here’s an article about the proposed animated feature from Clive Barker’s ‘The Thief of Always’ (from Cinefantastique, april 1995):

Finished The Goldfinch. Next up is some lighter reading for the holidays. I’m going to try out Joe Abercrombie and his The First Law series. Book one is The Blade Itself. I’ve heard he’s Sanderson for readers who care about characters.
I’m about a third of the way through The Blade Itself and while it’s too soon to make any real judgements, I did want to vent a bit about the genre. Both fantasy and sci-fi suffer for me so often because of the terrible names—for people and places—that abound. In this case it is the awful, fourth wall breaking silliness of having the war of north be the Anglish war and the war in the south being the (I kid you not) Gurkish war. I think it’s fine—even great—for fantasy to mirror civilizations and conflicts of real history, but give the reader a bit more credit than this. I don’t need to be hit over the head that the north is like England and the south is like Turkey. Besides, if he was going for that, shouldn’t it be the Gottoman War!? 🤣

/rant

Last edited:
I just started reading Scott Cawthon's Fazbear Frights Series - Didn't expect them to be that good ^^

I'm a fan of Sydney Lumet's work, and if I ever feel like making a movie myself, I'd want them to be made like his. Not surprisingly, I decided to read up his book on film directing, called Making Movies. I liked it a lot, and I definitely recommend it.

There are two things to note before reading it, however. First, the book was written in 1995, so some things no longer apply. Unless you want to shoot your movies on film like Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino do, a lot of the stuff about labs and rushes don't apply as much anymore, for better or for worse.

Second, a lot of the book is focused on working for a studio film (Disney, Warner Bros., Universal, etc.) instead of an independent film. This might be helpful if you're working on the next Marvel movie, but for the rest of us, it's worth putting that into consideration. Fortunately, Lumet doesn't paint the studios in an overly positive light, specifically in the final chapter. Plus, his anecdotes on 12 Angry Men (a film that should be studied by any aspiring filmmaker on how to make a movie cheaply) balance out this flaw.

Those notes aside, I do think this should be required reading for any aspiring filmmaker, and I have yet to find another book that gets me into the mindset of a film director better than this one.

So, I finished So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish. I generally enjoyed it well enough, but it also reminded me how frustrating these books are. It's like, it gives off the impression that Douglas Adams thinks he's smarter than me, and while that's probably true I don't think he's necessarily as clever as he thinks he is. I think I became more critical when I started seeing him get compared to Terry Pratchett. Terry Pratchett puts more care into telling a compelling story, wheras H2G2 has very little actual story to it. It feels like each book has maybe a chapter or two worth of actual plot, while the rest is filled with whatever nonsense Adams feels like throwing in to be funny, clever, and confusing. It all feels somewhat pretentious to me, and I hate describing it as such. I love the series, maybe just because I grew up with it, but it's just tedious. The pacing is awful, it's like 50-100 pages of nothing significant happening, then the most important events go by quickly in the span of a page. I completely get putting comedy first, but the humor is so hit or miss. I don't know at this point whether I'm talking about the series as a whole or just this book in particular.
Anyways, I'm now reading Mostly Harmless and so far it's much better imo.

I just finished book one of Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy, The Blade Itself. I’m moving directly to book two, Before They Are Hanged.

Currently reading Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi for the first time. I probably have like 50 EU books in boxes and maybe only finished 10 of them, mostly the ones by Timothy Zahn. All my other novels are on the shelves, I don’t have space for SW yet😅

I finished Mostly Harmless, it's currently my favorite Hitchhiker's book. To me it feels better written and more like an actual story, and it feels more personal. Any confusing bits have more to do with sci-fi babble and less to do with smarter-than-you witty random tangents. The ending is kinda perfect despite several things not getting properly wrapped up. Everything with Random is some of the best written stuff imo.
My only question is, where is Zaphod? He was totally absent from the last couple books and I miss him. Was there something in the third book that I missed?
Anyways, I'm excited to read book 6, it's not the best regarded and it has a different author, but I'm curious to see how it expands upon the previous book and I think I heard that Zaphod is back in it.

Just finished two gems from Ivan Turgenev. Kasyan from the Beautiful Lands and District Doctor. Kasyan was easily one of the greatest short stories I’ve ever read about a holy man living in rural Russia during the 1800s. Gives you a taste of what serfdom was like back then. The latter shows you the life of a doctor and a poor woman dying in her twenties.

Reading my favorite manga of all time for the billionth time. Sailor V. Eternal edition.

I finished the Ender series for the like the 4th time, and am listening to the entire Bean/Shadow series now. I only ever read book 1 of the Shadow Series before now. I just finished Shadow of the Hegemon, now on to book 3 Shadow Puppets.
9780812565959.jpg

I love this sci-fi series and recommend it to anyone interested in semi hard sci-fi, lots of ethical questions, action and drama. I love them.

I know people are off-put my OSC's personal beliefs but he is a great writer regardless, imo.

Currently right now I’m reading instruction manuals on how to assemble my furniture.

Just finished wind up bird chronicles and thinking about starting neuromancer next or maybe a non fiction I saw about castles . Anyone ever read bird chronicles really weird book

no sorry i haven't i'm reading Stephen King's Fairy Tales from (2022) it's a slow start and i'm only 87 pages into it thus far so it's really still to early to tell how good or how bad it is

Back
Top Bottom