• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Watchmen (2009)

"We're the Watchmeeeeenn!"

reave, that is the funniest thing I have seen in a while, thanks for the laugh!

I sure hope I am wrong in my prediction for this one (I said it would be a letdown on the order of 'V for Vendetta'), it looks like I might be. That would be a pleasant surprise.

Being a huge fan of both comics V for Vendetta and Watchmen, I'd say Watchmen is a much better movie. Not perfect, but almost as close as you can get in 2hrs 40 minutes. It felt rushed in places, and hopefully that'll be fixed in the extended version. Hopefully Snyder adjusts the pace on the scenes that need it, and doesn't only add in deleted scenes. I'd love to see the Mars scenes take longer.

A little more violent than the comic, and a little more sexually graphic. But the tone is there. And Jackie Earle Haley is amazing as Rorschach. The guy nailed it.

got 45 minutes to kill? why no check out MPC's 4 part watchmen preview review...
[youtube:vaqhhpyf]
the guy is usually spot on and looks at things from a different angle than most critics

I just saw it. Long movie, and I felt it. I liked some of it, but overall it felt a little hollow to me. Rorschach was really good. The make-up effects were some of the worst ever.

So far, Zak Snyder is not winning me over with his style. As in: he has way too much of it. He bit off more than he could chew here for sure.

I've seen it twice now and I was surprised how faithful it was to the book - certainly more faithful than most Hollywood adaptations. Visually, it's amazing. The casting is near perfect. I thought Patrick Wilson (as Nite Owl II) and Jackie Earle Haley (as Rorschach) really stepped up to the plate in their roles.

Billy Crudup (as Dr. Manhattan) could have shined if his face wasn't digitally "masked over". Instead, we get a great performance buried under an unfortunate CGI Yoda / talking dog-type lip-synch. The digital work is good, but (as CGI lip-synch always is) it's slightly off ...just enough to kill the authenticity. I'm not sure why they couldn't have incorporated his real face into a CGI body or something.

Overall though, it's a satisfying and enjoyable experience on par with Sin City. Looking forward to seeing the extended version with The Tales of the Black Freighter, Hollis Mason and the other extras incorporated into it.

InfoDroid said:
I'm not sure why they couldn't have incorporated his real face into a CGI body or something.

They could have. The King of the Dead in Return of the King was a hybrid of live action and CGI, with fantastic end result.

Having never read the comic, I thought it was quite good, but it had a very messy beginning. Also, I could not take Danny Woodburn seriously in the slightest. (I'm a very big Seinfeld fan, and all I could see was the Mickey character he played on the show.) It's not his fault; he had a wonderful little performance (no pun intended, but I can't see a way around it) that Rorshach played off of very well. Did anyone else have that problem?

Yeah, I know what you mean, GyRo567. They didn't even alter his appearance to make him look more like Big Figure from the book.

Probably because he wasn't critical to the main storyline. He was just another obstacle for Rorchach to overcome along the way.

And if you watch enough movies and TV, you'll always spot some character actor you saw somewhere else. The main general that Nixon was talking to at the big circular table also had a recurring role as a Russian general on SG-1.

And don't forget Max Headroom as Moloch.

Saw it last night & I'm completely new to the whole Watchmen thing. I recently watched Gomorah & I actually enjoyed the Watchmen film more, so that's a good start. It wasn't perfect, some of the performances were a bit run of the mill. Rorschach, Dr Manhattan & the Comedian were all excellent in my opinion & I really felt the actors embodied the characters. Everyone else seemed to be going through the motions & some characters were fleshed out better than others which I felt weakend the film overall.

I do get the feeling with the film that the reason why it's so long is to satisfy fans of the comic. Personally I think it may have been a better film if it was maybe a two parter. 1 film explaining the back story & another investigating the murder. Trying to do both in one film just seemed to weigh the whole thing down.

Overall I thought it was better than the X-Men movies, or, well.... maybe had more potential than the X-Men films. The sex felt a bit out of place for me, but that's probably more to do with Leonard Cohen turning up & the worse possible time.

So overall I thought it was really good & I'm looking forward to reading the comic & seeing the directors cut.

& a new wave of Watchmen edits which are bound to follow. :-D

Going to see this tomorrow in San Francisco. I know it has had mixed reviews but I am looking forward to it.

A bonus is that I have not read the comic since it was originally released, so I can watch the movie as a movie.

I will report back. :)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I confess that I went into see Watchmen with reservations. Though there are some sequences that work, the majority of the film does not. My main gripes are with the direction and some performances.

On a positive note I think this is a gift for FanEditors. I am sure with some imaginative editing and sound design this could be greatly improved.

Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman were poorly cast. Crudup and Jackie Earle Haley are good.

Still, I left the cinema disappointed but the friend I went with loved it!!!!

I thought patrick wilson was spot on as nite owl 2
he looked the part and was my second favorite behind rorshach.

I agree. Actually, most of the problems with the Nite Owl character is in the comic itself. Wilson captured the awkwardness of the character.

This of course begs the question (again) if the film is too reverent.

Patrick Wilson IS Nite Owl 2. There was absolutely no disconnect between the character from the comic and the character in the movie. It was a 100% spot-on portrayal.

But that's coming from a person who read the book. So...if you haven't read it, you were probably expecting something different.

InfoDroid said:
Patrick Wilson IS Nite Owl 2.

All righty then! I just felt he was acting rather than being.

Malin Akerman is simply a bad actor. Her performance is very weak.

Still, the hope that FanEditors will radically alter and improve this, is very exciting.

Mollo said:
I just felt he was acting rather than being.

Malin Akerman is simply a bad actor. Her performance is very weak.

That's exactly how I felt about both their performances. I also thought Matthew Goode's performance could of been better, but then again I also thought his character was underwritten so I'm not gonna judge him as harsly as the other 2.

The DVD is out soon. I noticed in America you can buy The Director's Cut with an extra 25mins, but you can't get it in the UK. Also, I thought Tales of the Black Freighter & Under the Hood was going to be in the Director's Cut, it seems this isn't so. So can someone please tell me whether it's worth getting the The Director's Cut from the States. Thanks. :)

the version with the two animated features is going to come out a little later in the year (or so we're told) as for the DC i think someone posted a list of what was added to it somewhere in this thread.

personally im going to wait for the full on everything cut to be released before i part with my dosh.

Thanks for the info nOmArch. I checked it out & it's gonna be a 5 disc whopper, so like you I'm gonna hold out until then.

I'd love to hold out but I really want to see the film again.

I find it really odd that they dont include the DC and theatrical together though via branching.
anybody that is willing to buy this will surely buy the DC over the theatrical. Guess its just simple marketing.

Sad, looks like the UK version is Theatrical only but will have more special features than the US release.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=8496

I wonder if this 5 disc set will really compile everything. I doubt it.
looks like they'll get me (again) on a double dip though. oh poor me.

Back
Top Bottom