• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me - Extended Blue Rose Cut

Fine.  You didn't ask for the edit, you made an empty statement.  The rules say to minimize empty statements, so don't do it again.

Dude, drop it. It was handled, no rules were broken, why did you even need to get in this? Addiesin, please feel free to remove the nonsense.

https://forums.fanedit.org/showteam.php

Read that page.  Read it slowly and multiple times if needed.  Then consider your next step carefully.  

If you feel the need to discuss this further, send me or another staff member a PM.  Any additional off-topic posts you make in this thread will be deleted and result in a temp ban.  And if a ban is what you are looking for I can certainly take care of that for you.

Gentlemen, gentlemen.....let's cool off a little.  No burnt cherry pies allowed in this thread!

@"MANTI5" and @"TVs Frink", can we agree between a misunderstood/misinterpreted post and an extra clarification on future posting that this is a done issue and we can remove ourselves from this black lodge we've found ourselves in?  Can we get back to some damn good coffee and peaceful posting?

@"MANTI5", I totally understand where you're coming from.  I've made mistakes in the past too.  As I'm sure you know, outside forces are always trying to wait for us to trip up and shut down our art, so things can be highly sensitive here if it appears rules are being broken.  It's great that you worked it out with @"addiesin" outside of the thread, but @"TVs Frink" didn't mean any harm in just pointing out something else for future reference.  We're all here to help each other and while it rubbed you the wrong way, the mods are just making sure this boat keeps sailing.

musiced, I appreciate your input, but rules are rules.  When a moderator clarifies one of those rules, the correct move is to either accept it and move on, or make your case via PM.  MANTI5 did so with addiesin, which is great, but he chose to push back on me in this thread...which is not acceptable.  He has not been given an infraction or ban yet, but it's waiting for him if he continues to push the issue.

Last post on this.  Additional posts along these lines will be deleted without notice.

Just finished this edit, and I must say, this is a damn fine bit of editing! Falling in a nice medium between Q2's incorporation of almost all the deleted footage and the theatrical cut, this edit is, in many ways, how the theatrical film SHOULD have been. Tonally, it's far more consistent than Q2's version, which can suffer at points from the jarring shifts created by the added footage. Excising only four of the deleted scenes, by my count, Sam Stanley puts back in what never should have been left out. While I love the scenes left out, such as Pete at the mill, the stuff with Harry and the police officers and the extended diner scenes, their exclusion lends a leaner edge to this edit that Q2's, for better and for worse, lacks. Visually, the editing is flawless, showing just how well the missing pieces fit back in as if they were never gone. One minor quibble with this edit is the inclusion of the Diane scene with Cooper, as it, while enjoyable, feels out of place with his appearance immediately afterwards. Cooper appearing jovial and being goofy fits with the character in the show, but creates a slightly jarring transition when the next scene has him be anxious, reserved and quietly terrified of his dream becoming a reality. I can't say for certain which Fire Walk With Me edit is my favorite of the two, as they both have their strong suits. I suppose my way of looking at it is this: If I want the fullest version available, one that adheres more closely with the show and offers some levity amidst the darkness, I'll stick with Q2's edit. If I want to see a more direct, unflinching and leaner version of the movie that runs shorter and keeps a darker tone throughout, I'll watch Sam Stanley's. Either way, I'm just excited to finally see more attention being brought to Twin Peaks in the fanedit community. I've always loved the show and eagerly awaited the Missing Pieces and an extended edition of Fire Walk With Me for years. Now, if only someone could take a whack at de-sillyifying Season Two, getting rid of James, Nadine the super-strong cheerleader, little Nicky, and Lana Budding Milford. Ah, well. To love something means to love it even when it has flaws. Maybe someday someone will make that mythical version of Season Two that, unlike these fine edits, trims the fat and gristle and leaves the tender meat at the heart of it all on display. but for now, I feel very, very comfortable giving Agent Sam Stanley the glad hand. Well done, sir. Damn fine job indeed. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. You've got a great start under your belt, and I can only imagine where you'll go from here.

This version is awesome. I have only ever seen the theatrical release before this one and easily prefer this. I introduced my wife to TP recently and have had a great time re-watching it and getting her reaction as a first time viewer. I read a few reviews of different edits to FWWM with the "new" footage and Agent Sam Stanley's sounded the best to me and thought my wife would probably prefer it to the original. The extra scenes were blended perfectly and really add a lot in my opinion. I wasn't even bothered by the Coop/Diane scene as I saw it as him having a moment of lightheartedness before heading in to have a deep discussion with the boss. You can almost imagine him taking a moment in between to take a deep breath, sigh, then heading in to see Cole. I wouldn't argue against it being left out but it doesn't bother me staying in. I especially love the Phillip Jeffries scenes and think those alone would have me recommend this edit over the original but with everything else being done so well it's a no-brainer. Big thumbs up Agent Sam Stanley, you did a great job with this.

Any plans of updating this with the Criterion version? 

It's a higher quality restoration than the version included in the Complete Mystery.

Alejandrojohanson said:
Any plans of updating this with the Criterion version? 

It's a higher quality restoration than the version included in the Complete Mystery.

Criterion used the same master CBS did. Apparently the Criterion PQ is slightly better, but frankly I can't tell the difference by the screen captures I've seen: 

CBS:
10343_31_large.jpg

Criterion:
15929_6_large.jpg

CBS:
10343_34_large.jpg

Criterion:
15929_4_large.jpg

Yeah, I can see that they don't appear different at without seriously looking at them. It took me a couple of minutes, but it almost seems like the skin tones are duller / more realistic in the Criterion version.
That may just be a confirmation bias, however.
That being said, after seeing the comparison shots, I don't blame you for not finding it worth it. I was just going by conversations I'd seen on Reddit.

Back
Top Bottom