• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TVF's Matrix Cutlist Project

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Completed Cutlist Scripts:

The Matrix Reloaded:
Be patient...

The Matrix Revolutions:
Be very patient...

The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions:
Be very, very patient...

Currently working on: Reloaded Script

I've been thinking about doing a Matrix Cutlist Project for some time now, and I've finally decided to take the plunge. However, I'm going to go about this one a bit differently than the Star Wars Prequel Project. I'm going to try and build the base scripts faster.

It takes a ton of time to build these scripts. And by far, the most time consuming parts of the scripts are the action scenes. Unfortunately, the Matrix sequels have some very difficult action scenes to deal with. It's the major reason I haven't started this up to this point.

So, for the time being, I'm going to shortcut the scripts when it comes to action. Here's an example of an action scene in my Sith script:

Front view of ANAKIN as he fights OBI-WAN. Quick view of OBI-WAN attacking, then switch to ANAKIN again as he defends. Cut to high shot of the fierce battle between holograph tables, then switch to side view as they twirl their weapons without making contact. Closer view of same angle as ANAKIN blocks OBI-WAN's attack. Switch to long shot of ANAKIN holding back OBI-WAN's weapon as they stand between the tables.

And here's how I would shortcut that same sequence:

ANAKIN fights OBI-WAN.

That should save a bit of time, don't you think?

So that's how I'm planning to attack the action in the Matrix sequels. Now, the problem with this is it won't give you any idea of how much action has been cut out of the fanedits. And I fully realize that's one of the big things a lot of people want to know. So my plan is to do these shorter versions first, and then I'll probably come back after the cultists are all done and redo the scripts, expanding them to full versions describing everything.

Well, that's the plan for now. Any comments/suggestions/encouragements are warmly welcomed.

TRINITY: You always told me to stay off the Matrix Scripts.
TVF: That's true.
TRINITY: You told me it was suicide.
TVF: Then let us hope that I was wrong.

:)

-TVF

Good news/bad news regarding the script.

One big thing that kept me from starting on this thing was that I couldn't find good scripts on the internet to work with. For whatever reason, I had a lot more luck this time - I managed to find shooting scripts for both movies. That's the good news.

The bad news is, both will take a ton of formatting to make them useable. Reloaded is in better shape - at least I found it in HTML, so I could import it directly into Word. However, the spacing is really terrible and I'm going to really have to work it over to make it look like my Star Wars scripts.

Revolutions is much worse, because it is in PDF format. I tried lots of different things, but nothing I do will let me edit it or bring it into word as anything editable. The only other thing I found of any use was a weird script in HTML that has nothing but spoken lines. So I'm going to have to start with the spoken line script, and manually input the locations, stage directions, etc. from the PDF. Ugh.

So it will be nothing but formatting for a while. Fun. :x

there are linux tools to convert pdf to text, let me know if you want any help doing this

Joe - I don't know a thing about Linux. I did a quick google search and didn't find anything that looked promising.

I uploaded the pdf to RS:

http://rapidshare.com/files/245756102/m ... utions.pdf

Do you think you could lend a hand? I would very much appreciate it, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother.

Cool. And if it doesn't work out, I'm still planning on doing whatever I need to manually.

the tools i have will only allow me to extract this pdf into images (it is probably a collection of scanned images and not text)

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the offer, anyway. I'll probably just use the spoken line text version I have and then just fill in the blanks as I go.

joebshmoe said:
the tools i have will only allow me to extract this pdf into images (it is probably a collection of scanned images and not text)

if you have acrobat, you could try to recognize the text using OCR, save it, and then try your linux trick.

perhaps. i'm surprised, actually... it usually works great.

Ok, formatting is done for the Reloaded Script. I lucked out with this shooting script - it seems pretty accurate. I worked on the first 3-1/2 minutes of the movie tonight, and I went ahead and fully described the first two action scenes (Trinity vs. Guards and Trinity vs. Agent). I think doing this script short-form first, then long-form later, will simply be a waste of time. Might as well get it right on the first go-round.

This will obviously take quite a while to complete, especially as I will periodically take time out to work on Star Wars Prequel Cutlists. But stay tuned... :)

I'm through the first 12 minutes, which includes the Neo vs. Agent Johnson/Jackson/Thompson fight. I was able to describe the fight fully, which wasn't too hard given that there were only four combatants. The burly brawl, however, may be a different story. We'll see.

Incidentally, I gave up keeping track of which Agent was which. After the fight begins, they're all called "AGENT." I think I deserve to cheat a little.

I'm going to put this project to the side for a while to work on the SW Prequel Cutlist Project. See you over in that thread. :)

So I'm back working on this for the time being. I thought I'd post the working version of the Reloaded Script to RS for anyone who is interested:

http://rapidshare.com/files/252252575/m ... script.doc

If you search for "BLICK" you will find a line that says "BLICK 16:25." This helps me keep track of where I left off (the 16:25 is the time of the movie where I stopped last). So everything before this point has been done, everything after is still to be worked on. The script that I found is in very good shape, it generally follows the movie pretty closely. One thing I am editing out are grand descriptions such as this one of the Zion city:

"Down the center of this vertical bowel, an industrial tower seemingly hangs from the ceiling, as though roots had grown from a massive steel refinery and bored in among the stalactites and the natural rock formations of the cave roof. Then, growing downward, a geometric tangle of pipes and power lines, it thins at the middle before widening again at the base so that it feels like some huge wire-frame sculpture mimicking a stalactite growing into its own stalagmite."

When I get to this point, I will rewrite the text to say something like:

"The camera pans down the vertical shaft of the city."

Much simpler - all I need for visual descriptors are things that help me notice if something is cut. The fight scenes go the opposite way. The script has very brief descriptions, such as the following:

"The other Smiths immediately attack as--Neo retreats, panting, trying to regain his center, flipping back over the bench to catch his breath but--The Smiths hurl at him, hands and fists attacking from every angle, stabbing and grabbing, groping for any hold as--Neo blocks, twists and kicks like a dervish, desperate to keep them from connecting."

If I want to figure out what has been cut, this description is useless to me. So it will be rewritten to describe every single punch, kick, throw, and so on. Have I mentioned I'm not looking forward to the Burly Brawl? :x

Ugh. I'm through 28 minutes and I've just about had enough. Does Morpheus's speech ever end?

Up next, Trinity and Neo getting busy. I'm going to try to keep it clean. But I need to rest up first, so back to the Prequel Project for a while.

Clearly there is something wrong with me :?

TV's Frink said:
Clearly there is something wrong with me :?
I see you as the Dr Indiana Jones of fanedits.

mo03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom