• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Top Ten Trilogies

Has the dollar trilogy been mentioned?

Sunarep said:
Hell yeah! I put it on my list (though I like to refer to it as the Man with No Name trilogy). I'm actually quite surprised that no one else has included it. I'm curious, is it because you guys don't like the films, because you haven't seen them, or because you don't consider them an actual trilogy?

Neglify said:
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not say things we might regret here.

Heh. :)

I don't understand how anyone could defend Die Hard 3. None of Jeremy Irons's riddles make any sense. And, besides,
the very first thing Jeremy Irons does is to have John McClane walk around in an African-American neighborhood with racial epithets on a sign. The goal is clearly to have him killed. But the entire rest of his plan rests on John McClane being alive to fulfill his crazy wishes. So if he had been successful in getting John killed in the beginning, his whole plan would have failed!

Die Hard 3 was just too illogical for me. It was all too obvious that the film had started production as a different movie, and then the studio forced McTiernan to turn it into a Die Hard movie. Note the scene where the kid says, "It's Christmas," to tie into the first two Die Hard movies - except that the scene is in New York, and it's sunny and everyone's running around in T-shirts.

Plus, the lack of John McClane's wife in this film Holly really hurt it. The relationship between John and Holly was what set these movies apart from other similar action films. At least Die Hard 4 had the relationship between John and his daughter.

I'm kind of the weird person who really likes the second Die Hard. I like the first one more, but I really enjoy the second, too. Everyone else seems to think it's the worst one :-(

QuickCut said:
I'm kind of the weird person who really likes the second Die Hard. I like the first one more, but I really enjoy the second, too. Everyone else seems to think it's the worst one :-(

You're not alone. I love the second Die Hard too.

I also loved the second one! I think it's nearly as good as the first.

I like Die Harder as well. but that didnt stop me from cutting some silly bits :)

Sunarep said:

I had it on mine.

TomH1138 said:
I don't understand how anyone could defend Die Hard 3. None of Jeremy Irons's riddles make any sense. And, besides,
the very first thing Jeremy Irons does is to have John McClane walk around in an African-American neighborhood with racial epithets on a sign. The goal is clearly to have him killed. But the entire rest of his plan rests on John McClane being alive to fulfill his crazy wishes. So if he had been successful in getting John killed in the beginning, his whole plan would have failed!

Die Hard 3 was just too illogical for me. It was all too obvious that the film had started production as a different movie, and then the studio forced McTiernan to turn it into a Die Hard movie. Note the scene where the kid says, "It's Christmas," to tie into the first two Die Hard movies - except that the scene is in New York, and it's sunny and everyone's running around in T-shirts.

The line the kid says is "It's like Christmas out here." He doesn't say it IS Christmas.

Simon's plot doesn't "rest on McClane being alive to fulfill his crazy wishes". Simon was pissed that Zeus saved McClane so sent McClane and Zeus on a bunch of crazy games to fuck with them.

TomH1138 said:
Plus, the lack of John McClane's wife in this film Holly really hurt it. The relationship between John and Holly was what set these movies apart from other similar action films. At least Die Hard 4 had the relationship between John and his daughter.

I do agree with this. No Holly was a bummer.

I guess I'm alone though in thinking that Die Hard 2 sucks. (But El Barto's version is a vast improvement.)

In no particular order, mine are:

Back to the Future
Beverly Hills Cop
Star Trek (II-IV)
Star Wars (IV-VI)
The Lord of the Rings
Mobile Suit Gundam

I personally think Die Hard 3 is much much better than Die Hard 2. Die Hard 3 is just way too damn fun.

DominicCobb said:
I personally think Die Hard 3 is much much better than Die Hard 2. Die Hard 3 is just way too damn fun.

Hell yeah.

Frantic Canadian said:
You're not alone. I love the second Die Hard too.
TomH1138 said:
I also loved the second one! I think it's nearly as good as the first.
elbarto1 said:
I like Die Harder as well. but that didnt stop me from cutting some silly bits :)
calvin-and-hobbes-hugging.jpg

Neglify said:
Die Hard 2 sucks.
angrybaby.jpg

Re: Die Hard 3 - I'll take your word for it, Neg. To see if I could disprove you, I'd have to watch Die Hard 3 again, and I'm not going to do that. :p

Might as well do what QuickCut did before, and list my favorite individual movies within those trilogies.

1. Back to the Future
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Star Wars (1977)
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
7. Toy Story 2
8. Toy Story
9. Toy Story 3
10. Terminator 2
11. Die Hard
12. Back to the Future II
13. Die Hard 2
14. Terminator
15. Back to the Future Part III
16. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Come to think of it, this list isn't far off from my list of greatest movies of all time. There are a few more comedies and Christmas movies on it, but this is pretty close.

There are also probably others that should be on this list that are escaping my tired brain right now. :)

Aaaaaaall right.  Time to reopen this thread!  I will go with, in no particular order: 

Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy 

The Indiana Jones Trilogy 

The Back to the Future Trilogy 

Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy (even though, as with Indiana Jones and Back to the Future, the third one was… okay.) 

The Star Wars Saga (And, specifically, the Original Trilogy) 

The Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman Trilogy 

The X-Men/X2/X-Men: Days of Future Past + First Class not-so-much-a-trilogy-more-like-a-combo-pack-trilogy-which-isn’t-a-trilogy-trilogy.  

Ok.  I am going off track here…

Canon Editor said:
The Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman Trilogy 

The X-Men "trilogy" is a bit of a stretch but this is a huge reach. New director, new actor plus a drive off the cliff in quality IMO.

I'm going the arthouse route -

Blue - White - Red  (by Kieślowski)

Before Sunrise - Before Sunset - Before Midnight

Sympathy For Mr Vengeance - Oldboy - Lady Vengeance

Back
Top Bottom