• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

53167322363_d13fd3659a_o.jpg

Sans Soleil (1983)
Director: Chris Marker
Length: 100 minutes
Type: Documentary, Essay

When I watched Patrick Keiller's 1994 film 'London' a few years back I commented "unlike anything I've seen before but I totally loved it". But now I can see how much of an influence this 1983 film was on that, and on the style of probably the greatest living documentary maker Adam Curtis. 'Sans Soleil' has less humour than Keiller and less political insight than Curtis, but has a similar eye for the utterly bizarre behaviours of everyday human beings. That focus is universal but the majority of the footage is of Japan. The similarities to 'Koyaanisqatsi' are presumably coincidental since the two films were made around the same time. I went with Alexandra Stewart's English narration so I could concentrate fully on the visual collage (Versions with the original French, plus Japanese and German narrators are also available).

53214059299_a9becaa6ee_o.jpg

Through the Olive Trees (1994)
Director: Abbas Kiarostami
Length: 103 minutes
Type: Drama

There were parts of 'Through the Olive Trees' where I was glued to the screen by the subtle intensity with which Abbas Kiarostami captures moments from his character's lives. But there were other passages where my interest waned. Mohamad Ali Keshavarz brilliantly plays a film director (basically Kiarostami) and the pair of inquisitive eyes through which we view life and film life.

53220738474_c7530d2d87_o.jpg

Taste of Cherry (1997)
Length: 99 minutes

'Taste of Cherry' is pretty much 99-minutes of a guy driving round a construction site on the outskirts of Tehran in a Range Rover. The camera is either on his face, his passengers face, or longs shots follow the vehicle as it winds it's way up and down dirt tracks. There's no music, there's no full explanation why and no definite answer at the end. I was absolutely riveted by every second of the drama. You're invited to gaze into Homayoun Ershadi's expressive face and determine the meaning, in the first act you're wondering why he's driving round (but you're given a strong hint that proves to be wrong), in the 2nd act we watch his desperate actions after we know, then a final act where we ponder if he'll do it. If it was a different actor to Ershadi, who can break your heart with a tiny wobble of his lip, or if the the whole film wasn't shot in a gorgeous magic-hour desert, it might not work. The ending has proved controversially oblique but as this is the third Abbas Kiarostami film I've watched, I wasn't expecting a neat ending. He seems to like letting us decide.

53232046966_8018e52b1a_o.jpg

The Wind Will Carry Us (1999)
Length: 118 minutes

I was captivated by the scenes of friendship between Behzad Dorani's visiting city journalist and a young boy in the remote village. The repeated riffs of the journalist being interrupted and pointlessly running/driving around to get a phone signal were amusing juxtaposed with quiet village life. Director Abbas Kiarostami wants us to feel the slow pace of life along with the journalist, at times the film did that but at other points it just felt long.

53265970486_8121815b0d_o.jpg

Kippur (2000)
Director: Amos Gitai
Length: 123 minutes
Type: War

Director/co-writer/producer Amos Gitai based this drama on his own experiences on a helicopter rescue crew on the battlefield of the 1973 Yom Kippur War (which of course has it's 50th anniversary this month). Gitai seems to be trying to recreate the visceral, numbing, repetitive feeling of being a part of that crew, with little consideration to character or plot. The crew go round in ever decreasing circles between rescues and down time, sinking further into the mire of war (literally in a scene where try to stretcher a guy though mud) and growing more traumatised when they get back. The final scenes where the crew themselves get hit, with the bloody and injured crawling to try and give first aid to the more critically injured is harrowing. The shot where the crew's doctor finally drops his big chunky 70s glasses and we look into his haunted eyes grabs you. The scenes where Jan Garbarek's jazz saxophone score comes to the fore are the most powerful. However, Gitai keeps a documentary distance from the characters and keeps dialogue to a minimum, which stopped me from getting really invested in the drama. It's a bit like 'M*A*S*H' with all the jokes replaced by uncomfortable silences.

53273173343_94b91f38ca_o.jpg

Lantana (2001)
Director: Ray Lawrence
Length: 121 minutes

A sort of high-end soap-opera (or maybe I was just thinking that because it's Australian), which becomes an intriguing murder mystery halfway through, then turns out to not really be one after all. The amount of intertwining of the various characters lives teeters on the brink of ridiculous (again like a soap) but there are some clever and believable twists to explain away several of the plot elements that at first appear to involve too much coincidence. My sympathies for the characters swapped and changed as more of their lives and feelings were revealed.

53287150107_324de092d6_o.jpg

Buffalo '66 (1998)
Director: Vincent Gallo
Length: 110 minutes
Type: Comedy, Drama

Some viewers are going to find the aggressive unlikeability of the central ex-con character (played by Director/Writer/Composer Vincent Gallo) a barrier at first, but once he's abducted Christina Ricci and took her to meet his crazy parents, with her having to pretend to be his wife, you start to understand why he's a bit peculiar. Initially I was thinking "Did I actually like this movie in 1998?" on this re-watch but I soon remembered why. Gallo's 'Billy Brown' apart from having oddball parents and a sad backstory, seems to have some issues with being touched, relating to people and compulsive behaviours like outrageous lies. Ricci's kind 'Layla' is tolerant of Billy's awful behaviour to a quite irrational and absurd degree, even telling Billy with seeming seriousness that's he's the most lovely man in the world. He's met somebody he can't alienate, "An unstoppable force meets an immovable object". In it's very strange way 'Buffalo '66' becomes a sweet romance. It made me think of 'Taxi Driver', in it's grainy 70s style and because it shares some themes but goes in different directions with them. The 4-way POV / 4-way 4th-wall-break family discussion scene is highly unusual, as are the tableaus and fantasy music sequences.

53298254603_ecb1f524f3_o.jpg

Zero Kelvin (1995)
Director: Hans Petter Moland
Length: 118 minutes
Type: Psychological, Drama, Thriller

First off, despite this film being relatively modern and having been in the '1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die' list for a couple of decades, it seems to be absurdly out-of-print. To the point where the only way I could find to watch it was an old 2-way letterboxed DVD with burned in Norwegian subtitles, so I had to add some custom English subtitles over the top in a different colour just to able to watch 'Zero Kelvin'.

It was well worth the perseverance to discover a dark, intense, psychological thriller composed of little more than three men in a hut surrounded by the titular cold weather. One is initially the antagonist, one is initially the protagonist and the other is a mostly silent observer of their increasingly bitter power struggle. The freezing environment is matched by the unquenchable fire of resentment and anger in men's hearts. I was expecting Stellan Skarsgard to be great but he's got his equal in (unknown to me) Gard B. Eidsvold's determined stare. I'm sure I was missing some of the power of the vast winter landscapes on my exceedingly poor transfer. 'Zero Kelvin' desperately needs a Criterion-style remaster and rediscovery.

53306837142_de999bc3d0_o.jpg

Smoke (1995)
Director: Wayne Wang
Length: 112 minutes
Type: Drama, Comedy

Maybe it was just the presence of Harvey Keitel and this being a Miramax film that put the thought into my head but I felt ‘Smoke’ was like a whole movie entirely composed of those amazing, juicy, long dialogue scenes you get in a Quentin Tarantino movie where the engrossing characters sit around and discuss culture and life. I’ve never been a smoker but Wayne Wang’s cigar-shop-centred movie makes you want to take it up (so people wanting to quit should avoid!). It's as if smoking is going to make you smarter and wittier because it gives you an excuse to just stand there ruminating on human life. The cast boasts Keitel, William Hurt and Forest Whitaker. 'Smoke' is one the best films I’ve ever seen and I’d never heard of it before.

Blue in the Face (1995)
The cast and crew of the fantastic 'Smoke' were having so much fun they decided to hang around for another week and shoot a 2nd movie made up of ideas and material add-libbed between scenes of the first. It's not story driven, it's a New-Wave collage of amusing vignettes on the theme of life in Brooklyn. It's possibly inadvisable to watch this in isolation. It should only be viewed just after you've finished watching 'Smoke' and are thinking "Gee I'd love to spend another 90-minutes just hanging with these wonderful characters and hearing their amusing stories and thoughts on life". I could've listened to Lou Reed talk all day.

'Blue in the Face' reminded me that Lou Reed's 'Set the Twilight Reeling' was a great album. With tracks like 'Egg Cream' and 'Hang On to Your Emotions'. 'Smoke' makes you want to start smoking. 'Blue in the Face' makes you want to move to Brooklyn and drink Egg Creams.

Last edited:
53314288631_4fefe8801c_o.jpg

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
Director: Monte Hellman
Length: 102 minutes
Type: Road-Movie

For a movie with this little dialogue, this little story and two musician lead actors who basically can't act, it sure is dramatically powerful. Warren Oates is the beating heart of the film, his "GTO" character could be a lame "Billy Bullsh*t" joke but there are deep layers of sadness, forlorn hope and longing to the man. Bruce Springsteen's 'Racing in the Street' is one of the greatest ever songs, the lyrics connect so closely to 'Two-Lane Blacktop' that I wonder if he had this in mind when he wrote it. The raw engine sounds and visuals also reminded me of the first 'Mad Max' and the grime-streaked "built only for speed" primer-gray 1955 Chevy has a Millennium Falcon mystique to it.

thenewyorker_two-lane-blacktop.jpg

Somebody should cut the film to the song.

53325244934_eda3c81437_o.jpg

Diner (1982)
Director: Barry Levinson
Length: 110 minutes
Type: Drama, Comedy

'Diner' takes a while to get going but once it hooks you into it's 6 or 7 characters you don't want it to end. It's less about plot and more about hanging out with the characters during various vignettes which cumulatively paint a portrait of their lives. I also used to have chips & gravy (aka French Fries & gravy) with my friends at school all the time, so that gave me a nostalgic smile. The jukebox 50s soundtrack is jumping with the best of Howlin' Wolf, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry. 'Diner' is the nightmare scenario for people like me who can never tell Steve Guttenberg and Paul Reiser apart, it's just a blessing that Mickey Rourke wasn't also paired with a young Bruce Willis. Rourke oozes roguish charm but with a romantic sensitivity, he's the centre of the film. I loved the way there is a colour coordinated look with the super saturated electric-blue yarmulkes, dresses, flowers and general decor in the final wedding scene.

^Aside from The Wrestler, I always feel like Rourke comes off better when he's sort of the fringe character, somebody that everyone else has their attention on but who isn't actually the main guy in the story (the everyman). For me, that was definitely the case in Diner, where Reiser and the Gutes seem more like the core of the film.

^Aside from The Wrestler, I always feel like Rourke comes off better when he's sort of the fringe character, somebody that everyone else has their attention on but who isn't actually the main guy in the story (the everyman). For me, that was definitely the case in Diner, where Reiser and the Gutes seem more like the core of the film.

It was the opposite for me. Reiser and Gutes were like two bickering minor side characters to Rourke's more fleshed out main character. I guess it's that way with an ensemble film, different viewers are going to be drawn to different characters.

53327430141_3f737c17bc_o.jpg

Europa Europa (1990)
Director: Agnieszka Holland
Length: 112 minutes
Type: War, Drama, Biopic

An unbelievable true-story biopic that is powerfully and beautifully directed by Agnieszka Holland. Young Marco Hofschneider (in almost every shot) plays a Jewish kid who through various tricks of fate ends up hiding within the Hitler Youth. It reminded me a little of 1985's 'Come and See' and the more recent 'Jojo Rabbit'. It's a clear influence on the latter, sharing a similar absurdist eye on the pseudo logic of Nazi propaganda/"science" (but this isn't as overtly comedic) and also features a couple of ridiculous Hitler dream sequences (e.g. Adolf waltzing with Stalin). The sharp strings of Zbigniew Preisner's score make a big impression. The Criterion HD transfer could not look better, so I'd recommend seeking that out.

53330000086_d6b13b8bf1_o.jpg

Rosetta (1999)
Director: Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne (the Dardenne brothers)
Length: 93 minutes

It's probably testament to the acting and story that the nausea-inducing, constantly shaking hand-held camera, framed always too close and edited in a way to minimise readability of the images, didn't make me completely hate this film.

53336918680_ef5faf42c3_o.jpg

Signs and Wonders (2000)
Director: Jonathan Nossiter
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Psychological, Drama

Jonathan Nossiter's film is an amusingly weird one that kinda grabbed my attention fully in the middle but only sporadically otherwise. Adrian Utley's (from trip-hop band Portishead) score features a distinctive collage of backwards sounds. The shot-on-handheld-video but transferred to hyper saturated 35mm effect gives it a unique look.

Can I ask a general question about this list? You're going through the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book, right? I looked through that and thought that the author -aside from the rather hyperbolic title- was pretty full of it. I have been halfway thinking that the reason you keep seeing people throw around "included on the 1,001 list" as some mark of pride is simply because the title has caught on and is very memorable, rather than that the list itself is so much better or in some way more definitive than other lists.

From your reviews here, it seems to me that many of them are films that you were trying to get the right framework to appreciate, or even struggled with outright. I've seen you write "this movie is one of my new favourites", but it seems like the number of films you don't have any urge to watch again is much higher. So...

In your opinion @TM2YC , how many of these films (or what %) are actually "Must See Before You Die!" films for a normal person? That is to say, cinephiles often feel a need to watch films to learn something about film, as like a stepping stone. I feel that the average person just wants to really connect with that individual film, to have a great experience. How many of the films on this list actually give that?

^ Interesting.

Can I ask a general question about this list? You're going through the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book, right? I looked through that and thought that the author -aside from the rather hyperbolic title- was pretty full of it.

There isn't an "author" to be full of much of anything writing wise. The reviews are written by about 60-70 different critics from around the world. There is one overall editor Steven Jay Schneider who puts the book together though. So the list and the reviews selected are going to be a reflection of his taste.

I have been halfway thinking that the reason you keep seeing people throw around "included on the 1,001 list" as some mark of pride is simply because the title has caught on and is very memorable, rather than that the list itself is so much better or in some way more definitive than other lists.

It doesn't have 'Robocop' or 'Predator' in the 2005 list I'm working on, so can never be definitive ('Robocop' was added in 2013, I believe).

From your reviews here, it seems to me that many of them are films that you were trying to get the right framework to appreciate, or even struggled with outright. I've seen you write "this movie is one of my new favourites", but it seems like the number of films you don't have any urge to watch again is much higher. So...

In your opinion @TM2YC , how many of these films (or what %) are actually "Must See Before You Die!" films for a normal person? That is to say, cinephiles often feel a need to watch films to learn something about film, as like a stepping stone. I feel that the average person just wants to really connect with that individual film, to have a great experience. How many of the films on this list actually give that?

It's not really the point, that the list should be all good, or definitive, or arguably correct, or defensible, it's more about the journey towards the big goal and all the discoveries along the way. There are films from this list that I loved that I 100% would never have watched if I hadn't "forced myself to". Even the ones I've hated usually still introduce me to a new kind of story and film-making style, or just further my understanding of history, film history, or a culture from around the world. You don't know if you'll like/dislike something 'til you've tried it. To quote one of my reviews from a few posts up "'Smoke' is one the best films I’ve ever seen and I’d never heard of it before." (I gave that 5-stars by the way). There isn't a film on this list that isn't widely adored and respected by many film fans, even if I, or in fact most average movie goers would disagree.

As such, I've never stopped to think about how many I like or dislike as a statistic. But I like statistics, so according to my Letterboxd list, of the 883 films I've watched (and reviewed) so far it breaks down like this:

(what I'd consider masterpiece movies)
5-stars = 174
4.5-stars = 141

(what I'd consider truly great movies)
4-star = 220
(what I'd consider solid/enjoyable/worthwhile movies)
3.5-star = 145
3-star = 114

(what I'd consider arguably a waste of my time and yours movies)
2.5-stars = 58
2-stars = 19

(what I'd consider f**king contemptible movies)
1.5-stars = 7
1 star = 2
0.5-stars = 3

So 794 were/are decent-to-perfect, while only 89 were poor-to-cr*p (in my opinion). If you take 2-hours as an average movie length, then that's only 178-hours, or 7 1/2 solid days of my life that I've wasted on this endeavour :LOL:. Where as there are 535 that I'd rated 4-stars and above, ratings I'd only give to films I especially loved and would recommend to anyone, any day of the week, which is 60%. A very good hit rate. That's about 45 solid days of top drawer movie magic.

It might just come across as me not liking them, more than I like them because 1. I enjoy picking apart the flaws in even the films I love 2. it's often easier to spot why something doesn't work, than why it does (because you won't be paying attention to the flaws, if the film has your undivided attention) 3. if I feel a film has wasted my time I'm going to be verbally annoyed. Because outside of completing a list like this, I'm highly selective about what I watch, so don't watch many films that I don't like. I'm of the "I'm 99% sure I'll enjoy that, I'll give it a go" mentality, the film watchers of the "It's in front of me, I'll give it a go" mentality are strange people to me but probably they find some gems I'd overlook that way.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I didn't have time to write anything shorter.

53340823034_d13939398e_o.jpg

Shine (1996)
Director: Scott Hicks
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Drama, Biography

This was a bit more complex than I remembered from back in the 90s. David Helfgott's father is tyrannical at times but there's love in there too, and it's pretty clear that Helfgott has some mental issues outside of his father's destructive influence. Noah Taylor's performance as the young man stood out for me, over Geoffrey Rush's Oscar winning portrayal of the older Helfgott. This was probably made at a time when the cliches of the biopic genre were less ingrained than today, so I felt less inclined to mark it down for ticking some of those trope boxes. The montage sequence where Helfgott plays "The Rach 3"during a full mental breakdown is a masterpiece of camera work, editing and audio mixing.

Last edited:
So the list and the reviews selected are going to be a reflection of his taste.
That's what I meant, yes.
It's not really the point, that the list should be all good,
then that's only 178-hours, or 7 1/2 solid days of my life that I've wasted on this endeavour
Sorry if my comments came across like you needed to defend your endeavour or in any way triggered you, that wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to bridge the gap between film afficionado (you, for example) and someone like my girlfriend, who I am pretty sure if I just picked the first 5 films off any page of that book and convinced her to watch them.... well, let's just say odds are that she would never agree to let me choose the film again for movie night.

I think my major concern is the title, as I literally consult people about language use every day, and so "You Must See" and "Die!" are such extremes that it really does feel like it's a mandate, not a journey of exploration. "These are the bucket list films..." it seems to whisper. "Check them off, or your life is incomplete." If the book was simply titled "1,001 Films That Movie Critics Really Appreciate", then I'd have no issue. Your approach of discovering a new style or technique or director -even if you don't like the film too much- seems like absolutely the healthiest way to approach the list. But that doesn't help me in The Girlfriend Mission, as I call it.

It would truly be great to have a shortlist, not 1,001 films, but maybe 100 or 200, that are truly Must-See. Like, it doesn't matter who you are, what your tastes are, how old or from what country or whatever... you will either very much like this film or it will be life-changing. Don't like Martial Arts movies? Don't worry, you'll like this one! Find Comedies especially subjective? Rest easy, this one ranges from tears of mirth to hearty guffaws at the minimum. No accounting for taste, of course, but like a 98/99% hit rate would be good.

So by that standard, your metrics of your top 315 movies are what I'm looking for. (That's super helpful by the way, I like stats, too!) There's a Letterboxd list that was made last year of the Top 250 Movies of All Time, from a voluntary poll of the lists of about 250 users that had each logged a couple thousand films. It's far from scientific, but I feel it represents a slightly better cross-section of mass-market appeal than just looking at which films critics ship. Now, if only they made a book like that, I'd be happy to gift it to my mom and sisters and the rest of my fam! They don't have your stamina for a project like this, and would likely just quit after the first 2 or 3 films that they didn't care for. I can hear them now "I'm just going to watch the top-ranked Netflix movie..."

I always took the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" title as tongue in cheek. It's not really expecting anybody (sane) to actually try and watch them all.

For more mainstream appeal, Schneider has a companion series of books for Action, Gangsters, Sci-Fi etc:

71MLpHBkNIL._SL1000_.jpg

Which are much more genre-fun orientated. Apart from a few early silent film choices (which isn't going to be for everyone), there is hardly anything on this list that I wouldn't feel sure people would love: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068139440/

Where as the 1001 list in trying to include every flavour of film, from every part of the world, from all time periods, based on their uniqueness, as much as their value, catering for all tastes, by definition, nobody is going to like them all.

For the record, the 12 films I considered "f**king contemptible movies" (1.5 stars and below) were:

The Vampires 1915 (Louis Feuillade) - Because it's a boring 7-hour long silent mini series made before all the rules of visual story telling had been invented.

Strike 1925 (Sergei Eisenstein) - Because it's infantile Soviet propaganda with much animal cruelty footage.

Storm Over Asia 1928 (Vsevolod Pudovkin) - Because it's dull and insidious propaganda made to rewrite Soviet genocide in Mongolia.

Land Without Bread 1933 (Luis Bunuel) - Because it's a sham propaganda pseudo-documentary with horrific scenes of animals being tortured in the name of film "art".

Jezebel 1938 (William Wyler) - Because it's an offensively racist "Slavery was basically fine. As the slaves will tell you" piece of trash.

Winter Light 1963 (Ingmar Bergman) - Because I haven't loved anything by Bergman and this is the worst one. Staring at paint drying in silence for 80-minutes would honestly be more action packed than this.

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her 1967 (Jean-Luc Godard) - Because I haven't loved anything by Godard and this is the worst one. A parody of the French New Wave.

The Mad Masters 1955 (Jean Rouch) - Because it's almost impressive to wear out my patience when the film is only 28-minutes. From my review "What the f**k did I just watch?!?".

Satantango 1994 (Bela Tarr) - Because it's incredibly slow and goes on for 7-hours. I hated it but in retrospect have started to at least understand the meta thing it was going for.

The Birth of a Nation 1915 (D.W. Griffith) - Because it's the most epically racist, racist epic, ever made. Even just to understand the early evolution of film, nobody should watch 3-hours of this monstrosity.

Louisiana Story 1948 (Robert J. Flaherty) - Because it feels like a tedious amateur effort made in the first days of movie making but was actually released in the late 40s.

The Ladies Man 1961 (Jerry Lewis) - 95-minutes of Jerry Lewis, a man genetically incapable of being funny, shouting and screaming in an effort to be funny.

So it seems that the things that tick me off are films being unjustifiably long, animal cruelty, racism, propaganda and Jerry Lewis. Unless you're really wanting to complete this list, I'd avoid those.

Last edited:
So it seems that the things that tick me off are films being unjustifiably long, animal cruelty, racism, propaganda and Jerry Lewis. Unless you're really wanting to complete this list, I'd avoid those.
Just to clarify, my laugh was your despising of Jerry Lewis

Back
Top Bottom