• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THX 1138: The Hybrid Cut (by TM2YC)

TM2YC said:
I've rendered off the project and am about to start watching it and noting down any shots that need tweaked colour-wise. So hopefully this should be done and released by next weekend. I'll post some screengrabs soon.

hooray! This is definitely on my need to watch soon list.

Finished watching the first render and there are about 20 shots I need to tweak a little, so almost there.

This was perhaps only the second time I've watched THX since I was a teen. Wow this movie is amazing, a tour de force on the editing, composition and sound design. The best thing is the way the story is told through visuals and sound with almost no exposition or setting up of this strange world but you always know where you are in the story. It really restores your faith in "George Lucas the genius", such a shame he's sought to destroy the film. This might be one of my new favourite films!

While watching it occured to me that the trailers might contain missing footage... and they do :). I'll need to go through them closely but I think they contain loads of missing shots which I can cut back in.

Edit: Oh, the trailer on the Blu-Ray is in equal or lower quality to the laserdisc and is cropped to 16:9. Son of a b*tch :mad:. This youtube video isn't cropped though...

...so I wonder where it's from? There is around 10 missing shots in there :-(.

It might be from the two disc DVD set? I'll have to dig mine out to check...

SilverWook said:
It might be from the two disc DVD set? I'll have to dig mine out to check...

Please do :).

In the meantime, here are some screengrabs. Blue tint removed, greys rebalanced, skintones resaturated and generally warmer 70s era grade I hope and more like the LD colours where possible.

22661417196_f4723d947a_h.jpg

I just need to add in one shot I missed from the Laserdisc. It isn't that the CGI is bad in the shot, it's just that I forgot it was inconsitent with the other shots. This one with the glowing hot element which doesn't glow on any of the LD shots...

22698910681_9ab5da8538.jpg

The final outcome is 7 minutes of Laserdisc material mixed together with 79 minutes of HD footage, although there is probably also a minute worth of further shots where I've blended both sources together. So that's about 8% standard-definition, which isn't too bad I think.

I've only ever seen the DVD release of this film, so I eagerly look forward to this release - as usual you've done some fantastic work :)

Yes, it's from the two disc DVD. Took a while for me to find mine as it was tucked in a case with my attempts at capturing the LD. The digipack they came in was pretty hard to yank the discs out of.

The trailer is non anamorphic, (as are all but one of the 2004 trailers, go fig) but it does look good.

The two disc set can be had pretty cheap on Ebay these days. Be sure you're not getting the single disc version with the retro poster art cover.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THX-1138-DV...821737?hash=item1c5b98c0a9:g:k3QAAOSwNSxVDN5~

SilverWook said:
Yes, it's from the two disc DVD.

Great thanks.

I've ordered a copy from eBay. Annoyingly I'm about 95% sure I owned the DVD set before I "upgraded" to the Blu-Ray. I put it on Ebay... with any luck I'll get the same set back! :p

On another note: This shot from the Laserdisc cut...

22690956195_a0ceea0a3f.jpg

...is really bizarre as it shows the POV from inside THX's car, before THX or the car get anywhere near this point (I'm guessing they forgot to film it and had to improvise in the edit). The shot is replaced in the DC to correct this error but the CGI is really obvious and it's a totally different shot...

22665300566_f5fe00d94e.jpg

...so I deem it unuable. Maybe I can come up with some kind of custom matte to replace the car hood as I wouldn't want to zoom it any further to crop it out. Also I'm not sure I want go all "George Lucas" on this and start actually introducing my own changes, that way madness lies :D.

Have you given any thought to trying to conform the 2004 soundtrack to the original cut? (As an extra, not the default audio.) As much as I loathe the DC, they did do a nice 5.1 mix, although certain shots like the car crash threaten to blow out my speakers. ;-)

The music and effects track was nice too.

SilverWook said:
Have you given any thought to trying to conform the 2004 soundtrack to the original cut?

It would be nice to have as an option but I'm not sure I want to spend the time required to do all the audio editing. I'll think about it.

A few Updates:

1. I went ahead and "Fixed" the shot I mentioned above. I never said this was going to be an exact recreation of the Laserdisc cut, so I thought why not fix this one gigantically obvious mistake:p. Here is a comparison...

(^ click image to see full res)

It was very tricky to do as the original shot features a slowly flashing coloured light-source and the BR shot is basically greyscale. So I had to break it down into several individually colour-graded layers and then adjust the colours and brightness frame-by-frame to compensate for the changes in lumination. I wierdly enjoy doing stuff like this :D.

2. I've experimented with creating a new 5.1 soundmix but after the first 6-7 minutes I can see it would be weeks, perhaps months of work as the Blu-Ray mix is just so different with many vocals and soundFX appearing in a completely re-jumbled order compared to the Laserdisc. Making such a mix would be like trying to simultaneously unpick 6 tangled balls of string while trying to find a needle in a haystack with your other hand ;-). As THX 1138 is a film built for a large part on the interesting idea that the audio and visuals aren't in sync, so you can't even depend on finding the correct shots, to find the correct piece of audio. So sorry guys, this won't be happening... this project will be in glorious monophonic sound only!

3. Getting the original trailer into a useable format is proving hard work. So this project will be delayed for another week I think. Plus I haven't got the artwork done yet either.

The CGI additions to the shot are really obvious in HD.

Nice job "fixing" the original shot.

Thanks so much to SilverWook for his patient help with the trailer footage! :)

It's now cut into the project and the (Crosses fingers) final version is rendering now. I managed to restore 5 full shots including some missing closeups of THX's face during the mind-block sequence which look great now. I also managed 4 more partial restorations as the shots where shorter in the trailer. There were 4 or 5 other shots that sadly flash up so briefly in the trailer, that it was pointless trying to blend them in and just left those shots to the Laserdisc.

I've got the artwork sketched out on a pad and I'm going to work on it today.

Here is the final cutlist:

00.00.00 - Added FE.org title
00.00.12 - Added TM2YC title
00.01.26 - Adjusted credits to fill frame
00.03.54 - Created new HD version of original colour "grid" shot
00.04.28 - Removed 2 CGI shots of the factory and restored 2 original shots
00.04.38 - Brightened shot of robot
00.05.06 - Cropped control room shot to better match original framing
00.05.14 - Restored closeup of SEN
00.05.19 - Removed 6 DC shots
00.05.51 - Removed CGI shot of the factory and restored original video shot
00.05.58 - Brought forward closeup of SEN
00.06.02 - Restored original video shot
00.06.02 - Restored original shot and regraded it to match rest of "gold" robot shots
00.06.40 - Restored second half of LUH closeup shot by blending, regrading and a minor FX tweak
00.06.42 - Removed 2 DC shots and restored 2 original shots
00.06.47 - Restored original shot and regraded it to match rest of "gold" robot shots
00.06.48 - Restored both original monitor feeds by layering on top of DC HD shot
00.06.51 - Restored 1 shot of videofeed
00.06.53 - Restored both original monitor feeds by layering on top of DC HD shot
00.07.22 - Removed DC monitor shot and brought forward original SEN shot
00.07.24 - Regraded shot to tone down inconsistent blue tone
00.07.51 - Removed extened CGI matte of garage and restored original garage closeup
00.07.56 - Regraded shot to tone down red hue
00.08.06 - Cropped attrium shot to better match original framing
00.11.16 - Removed 1 frame of lizard
00.11.46 - Removed DC insert shot of LUH and blended back in uncut shot of THX
00.11.55 - Moved shot of LUH forwards and brought forward shower shot to original position
00.12.46 - Adjusted colour grade on monitor shot
00.12.54 - Restored original video projection shot
00.13.00 - Restored original video projection shot
00.13.15 - Restored original video projection shot
00.13.21 - Restored 4 original video projection shots
00.13.32 - Restored 3 original video projection shots
00.13.53 - Restored original video projection shot
00.14.04 - Restored original video projection shot
00.14.27 - Restored original video projection shot
00.14.35 - Restored original video projection shot
00.14.51 - Restored original video projection shot
00.14.54 - Restored left half of shot that features a projection
00.14.59 - Restored original video projection shot
00.15.24 - Removed DC shot of LUH and blended back in uncut shot of THX
00.17.34 - Removed 2 DC insert shots
00.17.44 - Removed DC insert shot of SEN
00.18.20 - Restored fade to black on LUH
00.19.37 - Resaturated the 2 sex scene shots
00.20.13 - Restored 2 shots of THX entering chamber
00.20.25 - Restored shot of THX looking outwards using trailer footage
00.20.39 - Restored shot of THX looking outwards
00.20.49 - Restored 1 frame of theatre wide shot
00.21.23 - Removed 2 frames
00.21.43 - Moved 2 minute scene between LUH and THX forwards
00.21.49 - Restored shot of car rounding turn
00.23.09 - Restored corridor shot
00.23.15 - Moved 3 minute talk between THX and SEN backwards
00.23.20 - Restored original video projection shot
00.23.39 - Removed DC room shot and added one frame of THX
00.24.13 - Restored SEN shot to original length
00.24.17 - Removed DC shot of THX and restored original one
00.24.25 - Removed 6 DC shots and restored 4 original shots of SEN and THX
00.25.26 - Removed 7 DC shots and restored 3 original shots of SEN and THX
00.26.20 - Removed 3 DC shots and restored 2 original shots of SEN and THX
00.26.45 - Removed 2 DC shots of SEN and city
00.26.46 - Extended and blended in start of LUH shot to match original
00.26.50 - Put two halfs of LUH back together to restore it to original length
00.27.08 - Shortened end of LUH shot to match original
00.27.08 - Restored original video projection shot
00.27.16 - Restored original video projection shot
00.27.22 - Restored original video projection shot
00.27.32 - Restored original video projection shot
00.27.32 - Restored original longer video projection shot
00.28.58 - Restored 15 frames of black
00.28.59 - Restored shot of THX showering
00.29.06 - Removed 3 DC shots of the city
00.29.38 - Removed CGI wall monitor to keep continuity with next shot
00.29.49 - Removed CGI wall monitor from closeup
00.29.50 - Removed insert shot of monitor and restored THX shot to original length
00.30.11 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.30.29 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.30.36 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.30.51 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.31.03 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.31.09 - Restored shot of THX working
00.31.25 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
00.31.34 - Restored original robot shot and regraded to gold
00.31.38 - Restored original shot of THX working and regraded to gold
00.31.39 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
00.32.16 - Restored original shot of THX using trailer footage and removed 3 DC shots
00.32.20 - Restored 2 original shots using trailer footage and removed 4 DC shots
00.32.27 - Removed DC shot
00.32.33 - Added pupils back to THX side shot
00.32.36 - Restored original shot of THX using trailer footage
00.32.48 - Restored original longer robot shot
00.32.56 - Restored 2 original shots and removed 2 DC shots
00.33.10 - Restored 2 original shots and removed 4 DC shots
00.33.41 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
00.35.18 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
00.37.23 - Restored original fade-to-black instead of fade-to-greyscale
00.39.20 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
00.39.32 - Removed 2 frames of THX in the scanner
00.42.06 - Removed 2 frames of THX lying down
00.44.57 - Removed 8 frames of black
00.49.08 - Added 2 frames of the long shot
00.50.57 - Removed 1 frame of THX lying down
00.54.24 - Restored fade to white
00.56.13 - Flipped shot horizontally to match original
00.56.34 - Flipped shot horizontally to match original
00.58.17 - Restored original top-down shot
00.59.17 - Removed 16 frames of black and restored blended frame
01.00.35 - Removed DC shot of train station
01.03.13 - Removed DC shot of a CGI "thing" and replaced it with original longer shot of a rat
01.03.14 - Cropped train shot to match original framing and replaced background to match earlier shot
01.03.25 - Removed 1 frame of train driver
01.04.07 - Restored original overhead shot
01.08.51 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
01.11.00 - Removed 14 second DC station shot
01.12.11 - Removed 9 second DC underground shot
01.12.23 - Replaced 2nd half of garage pan with original shot
01.14.10 - Replaced 2nd half of garage pan with original shot
01.14.20 - Restored original garage shot using Laserdisc and Trailer footage
01.15.44 - Removed 28 second DC driving sequence
01.17.32 - Removed DC shot of car
01.17.46 - Restored original long shot of car
01.19.20 - Removed DC shot of car and restored 2nd original shot
01.19.23 - Horizontally flipped bike shot to match original
01.19.25 - Adjusted colours of monitor graphics to be closer to the original
01.19.33 - Horizontally flipped bike shot to match original
01.20.45 - Replaced DC shot of workers with original
01.21.01 - Blended in original shot of scaffold to correct DC version
01.21.03 - Restored original shot of scaffold
01.21.04 - Restored original shot of scaffold using trailer footage
01.21.12 - Restored original shot of scaffold
01.21.17 - Restored original shot of scaffold using Laserdisc and Trailer footage
01.21.24 - Fixed single mis-cropped frame
01.21.26 - Removed 1 frame of THX running
01.21.34 - Blended original and DC shots of dwarf to remove CGI "goblins"
01.22.02 - Restored original long shot of cops
01.22.09 - Restored original long shot of cops
01.22.14 - Restored original shot using Laserdisc and Trailer footage and removed DC CGI "goblin" shot
01.22.19 - Restored original shot using Laserdisc and Trailer footage and removed DC CGI "goblin" shot
01.22.25 - Restored original shot and removed DC CGI "goblin" shot
01.22.32 - Restored original shot and removed DC CGI "goblin" shot
01.23.12 - Corrected DC colour change to tunnel exit
01.23.56 - Corrected DC colour change to tunnel exit
01.24.03 - Corrected DC colour change to tunnel exit
01.26.10 - Blended in original THX figure over sunset
01.26.14 - Added FanEdit credits titlecard

Original Running Time: 88 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 86 minutes
Time Cut: 9 minutes
Time Added: 7 minutes

Glad I could be of help. :)

You might want to ask msycamore over at OT if he still has the pan and scan Japanese LD capture I sent him a long time back. (He's slightly closer to you geographically than I am.) You might be able to do something with that.

SilverWook said:
pan and scan Japanese LD

Wouldn't that be the same quality as the wide LD but massively cropped?

Artwork is done :)...

(^ Click to see full res image)

...and two alternate covers. One in the style of the Laserdisc...

thx1138_hybrid_3dview_laserdisc.jpg

...and one in the style of that Italian poster....

thx1138_hybrid_3dview_italian.jpg

Those are some sexy covers! I dig all three. I think the latter is my favorite but they're all good.

Sweet covers, but my only criticism/comment is...

TM2YC said:

Why did you put that colon in such an odd place? I think it'd look better without it, just the words spaced the same way.

TM2YC said:
Wouldn't that be the same quality as the wide LD but massively cropped?

My thought was you maybe you could take some small elements out of it, (like the albino lizard just for example) and paste them into the Blu Ray shots? In theory, the pan and scan should be a little higher in resolution than in letterbox?

You could also restore this lost sequence. :p
thx.jpg

Neglify said:
Why did you put that colon in such an odd place?

If you are really interested in a full answer to that question... It's a vital part of the asymmetrical composition IMO. I spent a couple of hours sketching on paper and moving squares around within the grid to get what I think is a perfect balance of space and negative-space.

22246677213_bd8f4a1313_o.jpg

e.g Removing the colon would bring the 'T' into alignment with the other 'T' and the 'H' and throw everything out of wack. With the colon, the text forms a natural undulating backwards 'S' shape. Plus it highlights the beginning of a new phrase and is a familiar programming symbol tying into the computer controlled world of the movie...

...or it's just a matter of opinion/taste that I've probably got wrong :-D.

SilverWook said:
My thought was you maybe you could take some small elements out of it, (like the albino lizard just for example) and paste them into the Blu Ray shots?

I'm going with the CGI "Enhanced" lizard, it was a subtle change IMO. Unlike the CGI goblins and the CGI "Whateverthef**kthatis" that SEN sees in the tunnel instead of a rat.

By the way, movie-censorship.com has a very detailed and I think accurate list of the changes here, if anybody is interested in asking what has been changed, and what hasn't.

SilverWook said:
In theory, the pan and scan should be a little higher in resolution than in letterbox?

I'm probably going to go with what I have, the full shots from the trailer were the last parts I wanted but I'll PM msycamore over at OT.com and see if I can take a look at it to double check... errrmmm, can you PM over on OT.com now??? ;-)

Edit released and here is my recreation of the original trailer in (mostly) HD...

...with all the available shots taken from the edit and the text graphics remade.

Back
Top Bottom