• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Thor - The Dark World: Hard Forged Edition

Thanks for the replies. :)

Well, you can be sure you have our support if you do decide to remake the edit. :D

As a big Dark World defender, I gotta admit... those are some damned solid ideas.

Masirimso17 said:
@"TM2YC" What do you think of this video?

"Focus more on the day-to-day of Asgard"
. Are we sure it isn't George Lucas voicing that video?

TM2YC said:
I've learned so much since this edit and could redo the FX tweaks a billion times better. Also, I think I tried too hard to remove a few plot holes in places. When it would have been better to just leave the nonsense in there because it was fun, regardless of logic. It would be nice to have a 1080p version too as my editing hardware has been beefed up since I made this edit.

Damn! Now you guys have got me thinking that this would be good to edit before Thor3 in November :D.

Are you still considering a remake? I'd like to see one for four reasons:

1. Your original had some technical issues (as mentioned earlier in this thread). Even for a 720p file, it looks less than optimal. A full 1080p version made with your current skills would be a huge improvement.

2. I'm a fan of your regrading/color correction work on such edits as "Star Trek: Reunion" and "Star Trek Vengeance". "Thor: The Dark World" is a movie that could greatly benefit from your skills in this area. It has always had a dull, boring color grade that's at odds with the visuals of both "Thor" (2011) and "Thor: Ragnarok", both of which had rich, vibrant color. A bit more color might help the movie "come to life" to a greater degree than it ever has before.

3. After the discussion in page 12 of this thread, you decided to use the capitalization "the Convergence", rather than "The Convergence" in the Dark Elf subtitles (and I believe that you made the correct choice). However, you made one goof - the edit features "the Convergence" in the subtitles most of the time, but mistakingly includes "The Convergence" once. I didn't catch the inconsistency until the second or third time that I watched the edit, but now it bugs me every time that I see it.

4. I somewhat agree that it would have been better to leave a little of the "nonsense" in here and there. I agree with most of the changes that you made (especially regarding the Earth scenes) and find the pacing better in your version than in the theatrical cut, but would like to see a version that features the early banquet scene (the one in which Volstagg is telling a story). I always felt that cutting that scene out was a bit of a loss.

hbenthow said:
Are you still considering a remake?

2. I'm a fan of your regrading/color correction work on such edits as "Star Trek: Reunion" and "Star Trek Vengeance". "Thor: The Dark World" is a movie that could greatly benefit from your skills in this area.

Maybe I'd redo this sometime but I doubt I'd regrade it. It's a lot of work and I like the more grounded look of this movie. I prefer it to the look of Thor1 but  do love Thor3's colourful craziness.

hbenthow said:
3. you made one goof - the edit features "the Convergence" in the subtitles most of the time, but mistakingly includes "The Convergence" once.

I'd have to revisit the subtitles by default, as I don't have the project files anymore, so that error and others would be fixed, yes.

hbenthow said:
4. I would like to see a version that features the early banquet scene (the one in which Volstagg is telling a story).

That'd probably go back. I can't quite remember now why it was cut but I'm sure it for a solid logical plot reason. I think I'd ignore some of those logic problems, in favour of keeping good scenes in a possible remake.

If you're going to do a remake do you think you can find some way to highlight Thor's failure of being an effective ruler, since that's what (I think) the movie is about? Maybe use the music when Thor believes Odin's dead from Thor 1 when Malekith obtains the Aether and Loki "dies" drive it home.

I don't remember the last music piece at the end of you edit, but maybe the somber end from Thor 1 could be used at the end of a remake to give it a more uneasy feeling, the Thor is going to his beloved, but he's giving up a throne he feels he doesn't earn? Just something to add slightly more meat to the film.

Nic said:
I don't remember the last music piece at the end of you edit, but maybe the somber end from Thor 1 could be used at the end of a remake to give it a more uneasy feeling, the Thor is going to his beloved, but he's giving up a throne he feels he doesn't earn? Just something to add slightly more meat to the film.

Sorry but no way. The new epic end theme is my favourite part :D plus that's sorta how the ending to Thor3 played out in the original cut.

Neosmith said:
I haven't seen the new cut of Thor 2, but I would like to very much. Having read a bunch of early posts of this thread, I was amazed at the amount of clips that were available and how so many fans gave input.

Just wanted to say that Thor 2 likely has at least 30 more mins. of whole and extended scenes on the cutting room floor, which Marvel has not released. I think it's likely they might put back in some of the cut footage unto the inevitable Phase 2 box set.

Neosmith said:
I have the new Marvel box set now, and I have to say - while they are definitely holding back on the deleted scenes for Thor 2 (there's only about 11 min. here and none of the expansive Dark Elf material discussed in interviews) - there is an excellent alternate version of the Malekith/Frigga confrontation. The effects there aren't finalized, but it is much better than what ended up in the actual movie. It really deepens Malekith's character and deserves to have been in the movie.

I thought that @"TM2YC" and possibly some others here would like to know that there's now an affordable re-release of the Marvel Phase 1 and Phase 2 box sets, including the bonus discs with exclusive deleted scenes not found on individual releases of the movies and even exclusive audio commentaries for the one shots. The original releases of the sets are expensive, but there are now UK editions with less physical bonuses that you can get for much cheaper. Better yet, they're region free, so you can play them anywhere in the world.

The Phase 1 bonus disc includes the following extras:

‘And Then Shawarma After’ featurette

Agent Coulson Intro: Iron Man

Iron Man - Deleted Scenes

Champions, Iron Man

Animatics, Iron Man

Pre-viz, The Incredible Hulk

Agent Coulson Intro: The Incredible Hulk

The Incredible Hulk - Pre-viz

Agent Coulson Intro - Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 - Deleted Scenes

Iron Man 2 - Animatics

Iron Man 2 - Pre-viz

Agent Coulson Intro - Thor

Thor - Deleted Scenes

Thor - Animatics

Agent Coulson Intro - Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America: The First Avenger - Animatics

Agent Coulson Intro - Avengers Assemble

Avengers Assemble - And Then Shawarma After

Avengers Assemble - Deleted Scenes

Avengers Assemble - Animatics

Avengers Assemble - Pre-viz

And the Phase 2 bonus disc contains these:

Screen Test with Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista

From Here To Infinity: Phases 2 & 3 Of The M.C.U.

Phase 2 Tag Scenes: A Making-Of

Gag Reel

Marvel One-Shots: The Consultant With Audio Commentary By Clark Gregg [Thor]

Marvel One-Shots: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer With Audio Commentary By Clark Gregg [CA: The First Avenger]

Marvel One-Shots: Item 47 With Audio Commentary By Louis D'Esposito, Max Hernandez, Titus Welliver And Jesse Bradford [The Avengers]

Marvel One-Shots: Agent Carter With Audio Commentary By Louis D'Esposito And Hayley Atwell [Iron Man 3]

Marvel One-Shots: All Hail The King With Audio Commentary By Drew Pearce And Ben Kingsley [Thor: TDW]

Iron Man 3: Deleted Scenes

Iron Man 3: Preproduction Creative

Thor: The Dark World: Deleted Scenes

Thor: The Dark World: Preproduction Creative

Captain America: The Winter Solider: Deleted Scene

Captain America: The Winter Solider: Deleted Scene With Audio Commentary By Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Preproduction Creative

Guardians Of The Galaxy: Deleted Scenes

Guardians Of The Galaxy: Preproduction Creative

Avengers: Age Of Ultron: Deleted Scenes

Avengers: Age Of Ultron: Preproduction Creative: Hulk vs. Hulkbuster

Ant-Man: Deleted Scenes

Ant-Man: Preproduction Creative

Phase 1:

Marvel Studios Collector's Edition Box Set - Phase 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] - Amazon.co.uk

Marvel Studios Collector's Edition Box Set - Phase 1 Blu-ray - Zavvi

Phase 2:

Marvel Studios Collector's Edition Box Set - Phase 2 Blu-ray - Zavvi

hbenthow said:
I thought that @"TM2YC" and possibly some others here would like to know that there's now an affordable re-release of the Marvel Phase 1 and Phase 2 box sets, including the bonus discs with exclusive deleted scenes not found on individual releases of the movies and even exclusive audio commentaries for the ones shots. The original releases of the sets are expensive, but there are now UK editions with less physical bonuses that you can get for much cheaper. Better yet, they're region free, so you can play them anywhere in the world.

Phase 2:

Marvel Studios Collector's Edition Box Set - Phase 2 Blu-ray - Zavvi

Thanks for the tip. I could do what I did with phase 1, and trade in all my copies of the movies (I have all 6) for the boxset, for a few more quid. It'd take up less room on my shelf at least :D . This doesn't include the IMAX 3D version of GOTG though and IIRC the deleted bonus scenes are fairly in-essential.

hbenthow said:
I thought that @"TM2YC" and possibly some others here would like to know that there's now an affordable re-release of the Marvel Phase 1 and Phase 2 box sets, including the bonus discs with exclusive deleted scenes not found on individual releases of the movies and even exclusive audio commentaries for the ones shots. The original releases of the sets are expensive, but there are now UK editions with less physical bonuses that you can get for much cheaper. Better yet, they're region free, so you can play them anywhere in the world.

I have wanted to get all that bonus stuff for years, but couldn't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars to double dip on films I already have. But then again, I did get the Spider-Man trilogy again just for the Editor's Cut.

On the topic of deleted scenes, I liked this one with Loki casting himself an illusion that he is King of Asgard as it shows that he isn't really evil, he just wants to be loved. 

TM2YC said:
Thanks for the tip. I could do what I did with phase 1, and trade in all my copies of the movies (I have all 6) for the boxset, for a few more quid. It'd take up less room on my shelf at least :D . This doesn't include the IMAX 3D version of GOTG though and IIRC the deleted bonus scenes are fairly in-essential.

If you have the multi-disc special editions of the first two Iron Man movies, you might want to hang onto those as well. They also contain extra material not present in the Phase 1 set.

EDIT: I just now realized that you wrote that you already traded in your Phase 1 individual releases. 

Bobson Dugnutt said:
On the topic of deleted scenes, I liked this one with Loki casting himself an illusion that he is King of Asgard as it shows that he isn't really evil, he just wants to be loved. 

I agree. I like that scene as well.

TM2YC said:
I think I'd ignore some of those logic problems, in favour of keeping good scenes in a possible remake.

@TM2YC, if you find time to do a remake, here are some ideas.

Asgardians: maximize their screen-time. Asgard is a realm with people, not just one family's castle. I wish Marvel had shown more of it.
Infinity Stones: retain Odin's reference in the library. It's brief, but those stones are an essential link in the MCU.
Loki: maximize his screen time. Because he's easily the most enjoyable villain (?) in the MCU.

Using your edit as a starting point, I made a 1080p edit with these main differences:
(- Keep your opening: Odin's story is part of his library exposition, we open on Loki in chains.)
(- Keep deleted scene of Fandral / Hogun dialog during Vanaheim battle in the woods.)
(- Keep your Title Card on the bridge. Brilliant!)
- Insert deleted scene of Volstagg telling stories in the pub.
- Retain Jane's voicemail to Selvig. It tells us why Jane is in London and that Selvig isn't with her.
- End the library scene different: less on Malekith as bad-guy, instead cut to book page with Odin referencing the Aether and Stones (see video clip below).
(- Keep your London evening shot and the combined Selvig comedy scenes.)
(- Keep deleted scene of Jane working in Asgard. Much better than her dream vision.)
- Place the shot of Dark Elf ship over Asgard immediately before Thor and Heimdal's treason talk. Instead of the viewers going "Thor was right!", we now go "Heimdal, listen to Thor! He's right. We know, we saw the Dark Elf ship in the previous scene." Now we retain the fluid transition from their talk to the whole treason exposition.
- Retain Loki saying "Trust my rage" to Thor's back instead of face. Loki seems incapable of telling the truth to anyone's face. So with Thor's back turned, we may actually believe what Loki says.
- Retain Loki-is-alive scene in its original place. Necessary set-up for the mid-credit pay-off (see below).
(- Keep your happy end: Odin says "Go", we switch to Jane, Thor arrives, they kiss, all with stirring music, cut to credits.)
- Retain Loki on throne saying "thank you" while dropping his Odin disguise. Place it mid credits, after the happy end (see video clip below).

Odin's exposition focuses less on Malekith, more on the Aether (password: fanedit.org):

Loki gets the last word (password: fanedit.org):

^ Sounds like you have some good ideas, you should release an edit of that. The videos are password locked by the way.

Oops: password for my vimeo clips is fanedit.org (I updated the post).

@"lapis molari", the only thing that I don't much care for in your version is the added emphasis on the Infinity Stones, especially the change heard in your first clip (which sounds a bit distracting to me). Yes, they are the connective link between the MCU movies, but we know enough of them from other movies that the amount of information about them present in T2YMC's edit is fully sufficient (and in my opinion, a case of "less is more", as it helps the movie stand a bit more on its own). Other than that, though, I like the decisions made in your version, and find it very promising.

By the way, did you use the Dark Elf subtitles from the original movie or T2YMC's edit?

hbenthow said:
the only thing that I don't much care for in your version is the added emphasis on the Infinity Stones, especially the change heard in your first clip (which sounds a bit distracting to me).

By the way, did you use the Dark Elf subtitles from the original movie or T2YMC's edit?

@"hbenthow", you make a strong point about less-is-more for the Stones. Odin's library story does flow smoother when the reference is left out (going from "Dark Elves defeated" straight into "after long war finally peace"). Hm, I'll have to re-watch this.

I never use Forced Subtitles for alien / foreign bits of text, I always make subtitles for the whole movie (pet peeve: hard-coded subs showing through the regular subs). So my Dark Elf subtitles are easily swapped for either option. For an FE release I'd simply add multiple subtitle tracks: 1) full English with original Dark Elf, 2) full English with TM2YC Dark Elf, 3) Dark Elf only. The latter because some people prefer to not have subs the entire time.

I like your profile image. Rocketeer to the rescue! Someone should edit that, tighten up the narrative once Cliff starts fighting Nazis. :cool:

lapis molari said:
3) Dark Elf only. The latter because some people prefer to not have subs the entire time.

Would subtitle track 3 be the original Dark Elf dialogue, or the T2YMC Dark Elf dialogue? Or would it be possible for you to make both (for a total of four tracks)?

Also, one thing to keep in mind regarding T2YMC's Dark Elf subtitles is that there's one error in them that I addressed earlier in this thread, which needs to be corrected if you use them. For reference:

hbenthow said:
After the discussion in page 12 of this thread, you decided to use the capitalization "the Convergence", rather than "The Convergence" in the Dark Elf subtitles (and I believe that you made the correct choice). However, you made one goof - the edit features "the Convergence" in the subtitles most of the time, but mistakingly includes "The Convergence" once. I didn't catch the inconsistency until the second or third time that I watched the edit, but now it bugs me every time that I see it.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the color grade of "Thor: The Dark World"? I had suggested regrading it to make it less drab/more colorful (closer to the look of the first Thor movie) to T2YMC, but he prefers the look of the movie as-is.

Back
Top Bottom