• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Ragnarok - Trimmed Edition

DigModiFicaTion said:
Well, Norse mythology calls Thor and Odin gods, so I don't really have an issue with it. Besides, if you read the synopsis on the back of the first Thor it says, "The world has many heroes...but only one is a god." Loki's definition isn't the same as Thor or Odin's definition of gods.

But in "Thor: The Dark World", Odin himself stated, "We are not gods". And in "Thor", he mentioned in the prologue that some humans saw that Asgardians as gods, but never once implied that they were right. That, combined with how seldom the word "god" is used in the first two Thor movies overall, makes how readily he throws the term around in "Ragnarok" (and in a seemingly serious manner, no less) jarring compared to how seldom and dismissively he used it before. It's yet another instance of how Taika Waititi threw out all character development continuity.

The DVD/Blu-ray synopsis is essentially just a tagline. It isn't necessarily accurate to how the character define themselves.

addiesin said:
My point though: if people call you a god for a few thousand years you might start to believe it, even if you know in the back of your head that's not really technically right.

I can understand how that might apply to Loki, who became arrogant. But Odin explicitly dismissed the idea that Asgardians are gods in "Thor: The Dark World". Why would he change his mind so quickly, especially after living a humbling life banished on Earth? And I can't recall Thor having ever referred to himself as a god prior to "Ragnarok".

hbenthow said:
The DVD/Blu-ray synopsis is essentially just a tagline. It isn't necessarily accurate to how the character define themselves.

I suppose that's one point of view.

hbenthow said:
addiesin said:
My point though: if people call you a god for a few thousand years you might start to believe it, even if you know in the back of your head that's not really technically right.

I can understand how that might apply to Loki, who became arrogant. But Odin explicitly dismissed the idea that Asgardians are gods in "Thor: The Dark World". Why would he change his mind so quickly, especially after living a humbling life banished on Earth? And I can't recall Thor having ever referred to himself as a god prior to "Ragnarok".

Sounds like this is the discussion for you.

Personally, it's just minutia to me and will remain in the edit. It's inline with the character and the mythology it's based on so I don't see any reason to change/remove it.

New logo, disclaimer, and poster

th3r-trimmed-edition-logo.png

[align=center]
th3r-trimmed-edition-compressed1.png

Haha! I love what you've done with the poster  :D

I remember one “comedic” line that always bothered me. Right before Hela’s assault on Asgard she says “didn’t you listen to a word I just said” in a flabbergasted manner that I felt neither fit the character nor the scene. Fingers crossed you removed it! If not, I’ll probably do my own edit to simply remove that one line.  :)

You even put names on the weapons ha ha! Great job.

Just watched through the edit and there's a couple of things I'm going to touch up. After that this edit will be complete. Just need to make some case art. Oh @"theryaney" ;)

TM2YC said:
You even put names on the weapons ha ha! Great job.

Thanks! I spent way too much time on that poster. I may go back and put a name on Heimdall's poleaxe trimmer. This is probably the funnest edit I've done and the quickest as well.

addiesin said:

giphy.gif

The excess Marvel humor annoys me most of the time, but I felt it worked for this film. That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing this version.

I'm gonna miss the falling for 30 minutes scene, but I agree that Dr. Strange felt shoehorned.

Just finished watching this edit & it's top drawer stuff. The removal of some of the OTT humour really enhances the movie, particularly those moments that are intended to be emotionally impactfully. The edits are largely seemless, with the new cut of banner dropping out of the ship onto the rainbow bridge a standout. Only cut I thought was a little jarring was the removal of the 'get help' scene as when they walk into the hanger there are suddenly already guards unconscious on the floor & Loki says a line that appears a little out of context, then Loki later references 'get help' when speaking to thor on the rainbow bridge. Maybe cut the hanger scene a second or two later to just as they start talking about Loki being predictable & cut out the sentence in the bridge. Overall great job that improves on the original movie. Highly recommended

stferguson78 said:
Just finished watching this edit & it's top drawer stuff. The removal of some of the OTT humour really enhances the movie, particularly those moments that are intended to be emotionally impactfully. The edits are largely seemless, with the new cut of banner dropping out of the ship onto the rainbow bridge a standout.

Thanks! 

Only cut I thought was a little jarring was the removal of the 'get help' scene as when they walk into the hanger there are suddenly already guards unconscious on the floor & Loki says a line that appears a little out of context, then Loki later references 'get help' when speaking to thor on the rainbow bridge. Maybe cut the hanger scene a second or two later to just as they start talking about Loki being predictable & cut out the sentence in the bridge.

Good points. Looks like i may do a v2 to tidy that point up.

Overall great job that improves on the original movie. Highly recommended

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback and review! Super glad you enjoyed it. If you have a free moment,  feel free to add your review to the ifdb listing. Thanks again!

I've gone back and removed the "I'm not doing get help" on the bifrost bridge and cropped out the guards on the ground from the removed "get help" scene. I've also changed up a few dialogue lines and added back video of Thor speaking before cutting to Loki's statue. V2 should be up and ready by the end of the day.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I've gone back and removed the "I'm not doing get help" on the bifrost bridge and cropped out the guards on the ground from the removed "get help" scene. I've also changed up a few dialogue lines and added back video of Thor speaking before cutting to Loki's statue. V2 should be up and ready by the end of the day.

And that's a wrap. Well done on a great job! Can't wait to watch V2

Two pieces of feedback after finally getting to watch the first half, watching the rest tomorrow morning.

The rendering could be a bit better, seeing A LOT of pixelation around darks.

The shake weight sound is still in the scene when the bi-frost is being called by Thor near the beginning.

revel911 said:
The rendering could be a bit better, seeing A LOT of pixelation around darks.

The downside of using iTunes as your source is that the video bitrate is 6mbps. I a/b'd against the source and the pixelation was present. Unless I get the blu ray it's kind of stuck that way unfortunately.

The shake weight sound is still in the scene when the bi-frost is being called by Thor near the beginning.

Yes, there is a residual bit of the shake sound, as cutting it completely out created a very jarring hole in the sound mix. The placement of the sound is over the top of Thor's microphonic communication through the Bifrost interface, so the thought was that it could be a shaking/vibrating noise from that. Perhaps it's still a bit too loud.

I appreciate the feedback revel911. Always keeping me on my toes :)

I just finished the full movie, it was as I was hoping. One of Marvel's best. I walked out of the theater just mad at the movie because how it squandered such potential, but here is the movie I wanted.

If I buy you the blue ray and send it you, would that work?

Could you repeat his voice from before and muffle it?

I just finished the full movie, it was as I was hoping. One of Marvel's best. I walked out of the theater just mad at the movie because how it squandered such potential, but here is the movie I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom