• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Thing Prequel [2011]

I have it too, thank you. But I'm holding out for the movie. I'm going 'no spoilers except for trailers' on this one. The Thing '82 is one of my favorite films of all time, so I wanna get as much as I can out of this one. :)

Saw it tonight. A strong 8 out of 10, I reckon. Not very many negatives at all. There were some really clever bits, and some great attention to detail in regards to staying true to the JC film. I may have to tweak it a little though, to make it that much closer. (There are just one or two things that don't really match up.) :)

Also, "big points". That is all. ;)

So without giving anyThing away, does the film add to Carpenter's universe, or just rehash it?

Hmmm...I'd have to go with "both". There's nothing here that you need to know, but there is some nice material I wasn't expecting. (And some I'd rather they didn't explore, but your mileage may vary.) I thought they did a good job of varying the actions of the characters so that it's not the same film, and they also set up all the chess pieces for the Norwegian camp scene in JC's film, but it feels organic and not too forced.

I'd be curious to know how the films would flow in chronological order for someone who has seen neither, but all my friends have good taste and saw JC's The Thing years ago. :) Personally, I feel like they will work better in the order they were released, but I can see how it could go either way. It's like the Thing itself: both films work perfectly fine as standalones, but they share a lot of common DNA.

As long as the film doesn't detract from or contradict Carpenter's The Thing i'm aboard.

reave said:
As long as the film doesn't detract from or contradict Carpenter's The Thing i'm aboard.
There is a little bit of contradiction I'm afraid. Something they've done knowingly and on purpose to tell the story "their way". Which does bug me, and is one of the things I want to tweak. :)

Little thought about this movie. Without spoilers:

I did not hate this movie, I think it was an okay prequel that tried to respect the original. But it should have been better, IMO.

This is a prequel AND a kind of a remake so it have all the problems that remakes have and all the ones prequels have.
We already know, more or less, what will happen because it's a prequel AND they also use some scenes that echoes the original one,
so we are not very surprised by the way it happens.
Now I guess it's okay from a story point of view: human characters reacting a bit the same in both movies is understandable
because the situation is the same. But that can't make the movie very interesting.

Th CGI are also not amazing. They are not terrible, but not good enough to make me feel the characters are in real danger.
I suppose this is also due to the direction of the movie.
Too little time presenting characters leads the audience to not bothering who is the Thing, who will die next, etc..
(I like Mary Elizabeth "Sygourney" Winstead and Joel "Kurt" Edgerton in this movie though).

Last but not least, the other thing that bothers me is that if someone watch this movie first, he propably likes it more. But then the amazing original will seems like a rehash to him. And that is a bit of a cinematic crime.

Now, it's a not a BAD movie. It was interesting to watch. They did a god job doing what they were supposed to do.
If you like the original JC's movie you should see this one to make your own mind about it.

But...
bottom line is: I was not scared a single time while watching it, and that means fail to me.

Had a chance to see this for free earlier in the week but wasn't feeling well. I don't have a love for Carpenter's film (Didn't see it until maybe 5-6 years ago, and thought it was just okay, nothing very special). I wouldn't remember it well enough to know if any of the stuff fits or doesn't fit properly, and for the most part wouldn't remember if they're doing the same types of things. I'm just gonna have to wait to rent this one I think. Maybe it'll make me interested enough to watch Carpenter's again afterwards. But it's somewhat jarring watching 2 movies in a series that were made so far apart, the production values and effects are so different, especially when the newer movie comes first in the timeline).

December the bloody 2nd for Uk release
tickedoff.gif

The Thing cast watches the prequel:

Definitely not on the same level as Carpenter's version! :)

Even though a few days thought on it has me lowering my score by at least a 1*, it still seems like I enjoyed it more than most people. Why do I feel like there will be several edits, and mine will be the softest one? ;)

*Often happens when dealing with a new movie. For me at least. :)

Seems like they deleted some scenes which seem very interesting. Have a read about it on these links:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/26758

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/interview-matthijs-van-heijn ingen-jr-the-thing-jgiro.php

Will see it in theatres here in the Netherlands November 3rd. Will buy the DVD or bluray when it hits the stores.

Many people seem to hate the movie. I don't htink it will be perfect, but it will be decent.

And btw, this movie hints the answer if Childs was a thing at the end of the original:
apparently Childs wore an earring in the final scene so he wouldn't be a Thing

T-HOPE said:
And btw, this movie hints the answer if Childs was a thing at the end of the original:
apparently Childs wore an earring in the final scene so he wouldn't be a Thing

Don't think so:
The Thing can't reproduce earring, but it still can take the original earring and put it on. So Childs wearing earring at the end of the original movie does not mean he's not the Thing.

Finally saw this last night.
I liked it but felt it could have been better. many of the ties to the 82 film seemed tacked on, and many of the new reveals were hokey and better left unexplained.
I liked the first half alot more than the second as it seemed too actiony for my tastes.
all said and done, I didnt hate it and they didnt crap up the franchise like they could have, they just didnt bring much new to the table that really mattered.
7/10
would have gone 8/10 if the fx werent hokey cg crap most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom