• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The NeverEnding Story: The Atreyu Edit

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having released my "Hybrid Cut" last year (which happened to also be my first ever edit), some viewers expressed a desire for a version that still mixes together the 94-minute International Cut and 101-minute German Cut but includes a bit more of the IC, such as additional music composed by Giogio Moroder.

That has now been done, with just a a bit more work needed on the audio in a couple of scenes before it's fully ready. The sub-title is a testament to the true instigator of the edit, @Atreyu, who not only acted as a great sounding board but also helped enormously.

Elements featured in this edit include:
  • 2019 restored "Die Unendliche Geschichte" Blu-ray as main source, colour-corrected shot-by-shot TNS-exclusive scenes from the 2014 "The NeverEnding Story" Blu-ray
  • Used nearly all the footage from both versions, except for overlaps (e.g. German vs English text) and a few slight trims (mostly a matter of frames, with a few occasional shots) where TNS played shorter and I couldn't work out how to extend TNS audio to fill the gaps
  • Limahl opening song over coloured clouds opening (in contrast to somber music and black background in HC)
  • Moroder music for Ivory Tower, Atreyu and Artax in the clearing and Falkor searching for the Auryn (same as HC)
  • Moroder music for the Swamps of Sadness", Shell Mountain and where Atreyu is being chased by G'mork (different from HC)
  • International Cut voice for G'mork during his chat with Atryu, 2 missing sections unique to DUG recreated with AI (thanks @Atreyu!)
The Hybrid Cut is also being updated, very-nearly ready to go but for one audio issue that has always annoyed my (Teeny Weeny's DUG voice when Atreyu is riding out), hope that AI tools can remove it!

Last edited:
How is this coming along? I really want to see this one...

It's getting there. PA is working on Gmork scene audio & Ivory Tower scene audio, after that it's a case of readjusting the subtitle file, barring any other issues that could possibly arise.

I'm excited for the Atreyu version, especially Moroder during the swamps of sadness! Cant wait for it to be done.

We are aiming to have this ready for release next month, January 2024, all things going well.

Looking forward to the new updated version.
Apologies for the long delay, combination of starting my first proper job and getting sidetracked with other projects!

All that remains to be done are the quality control watch-through and final adjustments to the subtitle file, no reason for it to not be ready in the first week of January.

This is the poster for the edit. I opted for this rare Japanese version since the artwork features Atreyu as the prominent character in the artwork, and the edit is The Atreyu Edit, so it made sense. And at the risk of sounding a bit weird, it's one of the only official artworks that show a full bodied Empress; the movie never really shows her legs.​

Last edited:
Since it is Christmas time, I'd like to share a bit of information regarding The NeverEnding Story, information I have come across while helping on this project.

The information is in regards to deleted scenes. There are still quite a few scenes that have not surfaced publicly (in terms of video/audio) or there are not any good enough quality sources to restore. Of course, my dream would be for high quality sources of these scenes to surface but as of this post we only have limited proof of their existence.

MER0ZD5_o.jpg

This is the scene where Falkor gets injected by Urgl. In the released movie, this occurs after Atreyu has made it through the Sphinx gate, and Engywook turns up to talk to both Urgl and Falkor, where exposition is dumped regarding the second gate. As can be seen above, there is a different version of the scene where Atreyu is present.

MER0ZD6_o.jpg

This is a shot of Bastian reacting to something in the story he's reading. This particular reaction depicted above is not present in the final release of the movie. It might be an alternate take, or it could be part of a bigger deleted scene (possibly Parmenter's scene).

MER0ZD7_o.jpg

This is a shot of Night Hob flying his bat. It is a full body shot and appears on a night background. This particular shot/scene is not in the movie, however the Bat in the shot is tired and Night Hob appears to be making the same body movements he does when telling the Bat to stay awake when they are flying towards the Ivory Tower, so this might simply be that scene with a different backdrop.

MER0ZD9_o.png

MER0ZDA_o.png

MER0ZDB_o.png

MER0ZDC_o.png

MER0ZDD_o.png

MER0ZDF_o.png

MER0ZDG_o.png

MER0ZDH_o.png

MER0ZDI_o.png

This is the Parmenter the Shrinking Giant scene, and is an extended version of the scene where Atreyu and Artax rest to eat when they start their journey. The footprint of Parmenter is still present in the final release within the shot of the scene. Here is how the scene would have transpired:

MER0ZKT_o.png

MER0ZKV_o.png

MER0ZKX_o.png

MER0ZKY_o.png

MER0ZL1_o.png

I do not know who the actor is playing Parmenter, this is not something I've been able to find out. However, this scene originally served to show how Atreyu knew how to find Morla, but it instead the choice was made for Bastian to make voiceover exposition. I do not know the reason why they would cut such a big chunk of the movie out in exchange for one single spoken line. Perhaps we may never know.

In the video above, starting at 10:44 you will find a BTS recording of what appears to be an alternate take of dialog between Bastian and the Empress. This dialog is extended, which includes the exchange:

Bastian: "You are so beautiful!"
Empress: "Thank you, for the wonderful name, Bastian."

Now if a high quality source of this was available, it would probably be added into the cut, but since there doesn't seem to be one and there is no footage of any of the other scenes as of the time of this post, the cut can only be as complete as what high quality footage exists. As such, all of the above is not in this cut (although my dream and personal wish is that it was, or might be in the future even).

I also recall reading about a Cloud Giant battle that Atreyu and Falkor get swept up in, but there isn't much evidence of this, although it is said that the scene in the final movie where Falkor and Atreyu face the Nothing and Atreyu falls off of Falkor, is apparently a re-worked scene of the Cloud Giant battle. However, with little evidence, there is a grain of (sand) salt to be involved.

And that covers all the deleted/alternate scenes I discovered while helping on this fan edit.

Last edited:
As of this moment, The Atreyu Edit is finished and ready for release in January.

This is some of the best holiday news I have had. Been waiting and watching for this one for awhile.

Let us know when we are able to give it a watch.

Now that The NeverEnding Story: The Atreyu Edit is released, here is a little bit of funny from me, the Japanese DUB re-dubbed back to English:

The ever-intrepid @Atreyu has put together a great little bonus feature which is now being uploaded to the same folder as the edit. Hope people find it interesting!

I only wish I could provide the real thing as to what is in the bonus feature. But perhaps it will make more people aware of it to seek answers.

The ever-intrepid @Atreyu has put together a great little bonus feature which is now being uploaded to the same folder as the edit. Hope people find it interesting!
I only wish I could provide the real thing as to what is in the bonus feature. But perhaps it will make more people aware of it to seek answers.
For the moment the IFDB page is not available as it is currently under moderation, having been modified to mention this bonus feature. Don't hesitate to PM for access to the online folder though!

Back
Top Bottom