• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Marvels

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After what Marvel has been doing lately, I have lost a lot of faith in them, but this actually looks genuinely good. I love Kamala a lot and really grew to love Carol, don't know about Monica but she was good in Wandavision for the most part. I've watched these trailers a few times, looking for red flags and not spotting any.
I kinda really want to go watch it. like, I'm really eager to see it! What do you all think, am I setting myself up for disappointment again or do you think this might actually break the curse?

I'm generally a more forgiving fan of Marvel's work than most, and I thought Captain Marvel was a damn good movie, albeit one that was a bit too on the nose in its message at times.

But, I'd be lying if I said I was terribly hyped for this. Iman Vellani is utterly charming, but I struggled to even get halfway through Ms. Marvel, and I'm significantly less invested in Monica Rambeau's story than I was in her mom's.

The trailers look fine, and the three leads do look like they have excellent chemistry, so we shall see.

I thought CM was fine when I watched it in the theater, but I can't really imagine ever watching it again (on my own, at least) - without the element of novelty, it's much too meh to revisit. And while I'm sure Vellani is charming, I can't shake the feeling that (unlike Peter Parker, who gets smacked around and bloodied a bit, even in the MCU) nothing really bad will possibly happen to her or the other two leads, so there won't even be any feeling of stakes. It'll most likely be a mild, quip-filled, blandly inoffensive space romp, so... a Disney+ stream someday, at best.

I love these characters. I think the only negative thing for me is it's coming after Secret Invasion which was hard to get through and ended on a weird note. I'm worried that'll leak into this with the Nick Fury stuff.

From what I've heard, the Secret Invasion stuff isn't even touched upon, making the whole thing an even bigger waste of time than it already was.

From what I've heard, the Secret Invasion stuff isn't even touched upon, making the whole thing an even bigger waste of time than it already was.
I think the main part was setting up the earth's paranoia what with them going around killing people for "suspecting of being Skrulls" so that it makes sense when people hate the idea of "your neighbor may be a mutant!". But it didn't really flesh that out a bit and they focused too much on Great Value Super Skrull.

Yeah about Secret Invasion it seems like there were tons of rewriting behind the scenes, they had to adjust to a release schedule, and they ended up winging it in the end to deliver a rushed product. It was a mess.

This one looks like something I will not pay for. Frankly, most of Marvel looks that way now.

btw, I've just watched latest clip and it stinks big time.

Last edited:
Damn - I was expecting lukewarm reviews, but I wasn't expecting both Christy Lemire and Dan Murrell, two critics I personally take seriously, and whose non-toxic bona fides are not in doubt, to call The Marvels the MCU's worst film:

Yeah reviews look really divided on this one. I'm gonna stop reading other people's thoughts (in written form, of course) until I can see it myself.

Considering Love And Thunder had assualt played up for laughs

Well, all Marvel movies do that. Unless you mean sexual assault, in which case, uh... you'll have to remind me? Unless you mean the scene where Thor was disrobed by Zeus, which... well, comedy is subjective, and I wasn't offended, so I'll just leave that at that. ;)

As usual, those who blindly praise the MCU or are reluctant to bash it are calling it 'fun' and little else, which conceeding the villain is once again underdeveloped and praising the chemistry of the leads

I'm sorry, but if all you're going to see is a film where everyone is nice to each other and there's no stakes or threat with the villain, one that can be taken out in half the run time, then you do not have a good movie.

I'll bash it I hated one particular sequence, otherwise I'm just glad we didn't get another L&T/quantumania . I've come to appreciate a little safe & by the numbers over joke fests that forget to tell a story, even if the stakes weren't overtly high I liked the little character moments.

7/10, I liked it more than the first film.

II've come to appreciate a little safe & by the numbers over joke fests that forget to tell a story,
Which other MCU movie/s would you compare it to in this regard?

Guardians vol 2 and Far from home come to mind, I'm trying to remember how MoM was tonally. I think I enjoyed Black Panther 2 because they didn't dare to make it light hearted given the subject matter (and as RL tribute to chadwick I suppose.) Maybe I'm remembering through rose tinted fog, but I think Gotg v3 and No way home didn't insert tension breaks at the most pivotal moments either.

Guardians vol 2 and Far from home come to mind, I'm trying to remember how MoM was tonally. I think I enjoyed Black Panther 2 because they didn't dare to make it light hearted and what I remember Gotg v3 and No way home didn't insert tension breaks at the most pivotal moments either.
Well that's the most encouraging take I've seen, so I appreciate that! :)
I was pretty much settled on not going to see it, but perhaps I'll keep an open mind :)

Oh no, I'm going to be that guy who made people waste $15 aren't I? :ROFLMAO:
I'm not the most intelligent person, sometimes I want to be entertained, I'd never compare a marvel movie to Rashomon, or Mulholland Drive. The Marvel's entertained me

Oh no, I'm going to be that guy who made people waste $15 aren't I? :ROFLMAO:
I'm not the most intelligent person, sometimes I want to be entertained, I'd never compare a marvel movie to Rashomon, or Mulholland Drive. The Marvel's entertained me
Local cinema is currently only £5 so that's around $8. Don't worry, there's enough negative reviews for people to know what to expect. ^^

Well that certainly was no Thor 4 or Antman 3 or even wakanda forever. It did have some glaring issues, but I'm surprised at the reactions. I'm thinking it could be that ms marvel and Wanda vision are required prerequisites. Also, the background of the antagonist is left til halfway through whereas I believe it really should be a prologue. Also some cuts are tonally clashing and really undercuts the emotions. There are plenty of lines that should be cut and some things which are foreshadowed that don't come to fruition.
It's not perfect by any means, but I did enjoy it for the most part and it doesn't seem to suffer from 'the formula'.
I really do wonder what are the major issues some other people are having, because I just didn't see the issues I've heard repeated by many different people.

Back
Top Bottom