• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Living Daylights - Death to Spies

OlivusPrime

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unlike my Transformers edit, here's one which I finished very recently (and thus motivated me to get both listed in the database):

tldpos10.jpg

Until last year, there were a substantial number of James Bond films I had never seen, and so in the lead-up to No Time to Die (and ultimately, beyond that film's release), I made an effort to watch every film in the franchise. Two that I watched early on and which really stood out to me were those starring Timothy Dalton - he was distinctive to me as the best Bond actor who never quite got a brilliant film. In particular, I found The Living Daylights to be very disjointed in pace and tone (clearly they had wanted to reboot the franchise in a more traditional direction, but didn't want to move away from the Roger Moore campiness entirely), but the film greatly grew on me over time due to Dalton's performance, the charm and simplicity of the central romance, and John Barry's incredible score.

Ultimately, I went ahead with an edit, primarily focussing upon the following factors:
  • Removing the instances of humour that contrasted strongest against the tone that the film is generally aiming for (a few campier jokes have been left in, mostly to do with Q).
  • Removing the more sexualised content in the film. Dalton's Bond doesn't come across to me as a sex symbol at all, even if he is still set up to be a womaniser and a romantic, so the instances of women beyond Kara fawning over him came across as inauthentic. Not to mention they somewhat undermine the significance of his romance with Kara.
  • Trimming Kara's actions (particularly in the second half) so that she doesn't come across quite as vulnerable or dim-witted. Her character is naturally not an action hero, but there were ways in which she could be depicted as more capable and straightforward.
  • Improve the pacing of the entire film, by trimming or excising the many shots, long takes and even entire scenes which only serve to awkwardly pad the film's running time and bloated plot. Much like my Transformers edit, I was striving with this one to keep to the editing and visual language of the existing film as much as possible, so there were some instances where I couldn't make cuts due to pacing/visual/soundtrack reasons (though fewer than in Transformers).
  • Remove the Felix Leiter sub-plot of the film. I think this is always on people's lists when editing this film, and for good reason - it's executed poorly and adds nothing to the story.
  • Improve the music levelling across the film. I'm not sure if this is inherent to the film's original mix, but lots of scenes (particularly action scenes) on the Blu-ray edition suffer from distinctly quiet music. I improved things where I could, though there were technical issues with using the CD score in tandem with the movie's soundtrack that meant I couldn't fix things with the ease I expected or to the extent I wanted to.
  • Rework some of the scenes with the Mujahedeen to not seem quite so dated.
  • Rework some of the opening title sequence to feel more in-line with the film's plot (ultimately only a few minor effects and one new shot were added to this). Anything I added had to fit in with the effects of the time and the aesthetic of the existing sequence (which meant that a brand new shot I spent a day or two animating ultimately got scrapped for not quite blending with everything else).
  • Do all of the above without affecting the fundamental flow of the film or causing any jumps in the score.
Edits ranged from tiny trims to substantial cuts (for example, the cello sled chase and cargo fight with Necros were pretty much chopped in half, the airfield action sequence was substantially re-edited and shortened and Koskov now dies at the end of the airfield scene). In addition to the altered opening title sequence, the film now features the original 1987 MGM/UA logo at the highest quality I could get it/restore it to personally and a new gunbarrel sequence featuring the CGI reflective gunbarrel of the Pierce Brosnan films.

The film has been shortened by 14 minutes to a running time of 1 hour 56 minutes. I have also recorded a feature-length editor's commentary for the film. If anyone wishes to see the changes enumerated, please let me know and I shall edit this post.

I'm very pleased with how my edit came out and how much it plays to the film's strengths (though the pace of the film does still sag a little in the second half, but not as much as before). It's still not my top favourite Bond movie, but I think it's now a consistently enjoyable traditional spy adventure, with a brilliant central performance and a cute romantic thread.

Last edited:
I agree completely. The same thing happened to me. I had seen almost all of Bond movies but either didn't see or didn't remember seeing those two. I was very impressed. I had read several of the novels as a kid and felt he captured the essence of the Bond that Fleming wrote. Of course, Craig hits the mark better in a couple of turns but Dalton was a pleasant surprise. If he had just gotten one good movie...

Last edited:
  • Rework some of the opening title sequence to feel more in-line with the film's plot (ultimately only a few minor effects and one new shot were added to this). Anything I added had to fit in with the effects of the time and the aesthetic of the existing sequence (which meant that a brand new shot I spent a day or two animating ultimately got scrapped for not quite blending with everything else).
This resonates with me. So many things I've worked on have ultimately been discarded as they just didn't work due to my not being able to get them to blend with the source material. It's super hard to let go of all of that work, but ultimately strengthens the edit.

If he had just gotten one good movie...

Absolutely, I love GoldenEye and Brosnan's performance in it, but I can't help but wonder whether having Dalton present would have made it even better. At worst it would have been a brilliant sendoff for his trilogy of films.

On the plus side though, I'm hoping to also edit Licence to Kill (which I think is already better than the base version of The Living Daylights, but also has its noticeable flaws), once I've gotten some real-life stuff out of the way in the next few months.

This resonates with me. So many things I've worked on have ultimately been discarded as they just didn't work due to my not being able to get them to blend with the source material. It's super hard to let go of all of that work, but ultimately strengthens the edit.

It was unfortunate to have to do because I was quite impressed at how period-accurate I got it, considering much of the footage I was working with was modern, but in these situations it's best to suck up the pride for the benefit of the edit, like you say. Ultimately you can at least say you tried, which is better than not giving it a go and wondering if it could have worked for the rest of an edit's existence.

Congrats! Thread moved to Fixes, Mixes & TV.

Finally had the chance to watch & review after a nasty cold torpedoed any time set aside to do so.

Review copied & pasted from my Letterboxd account as I can't post links...

This is a review of the Oliver Luddy "Death to Spies" fan edit, not of the film in general...

TLD is my personal favourite of the Bond film - if for any reason then this likely because it was the *first* Bond film I saw and by which I measure all others. So it was with some trepidation I sat down to watch this fan edit. I've seen fan edits before, but this is my first go at reviewing one.

The main problem with TLD is one that can't really be fixed without an edit leaving the viewer going "But, what about...?", which is the anticlimax of Bond dealing with Whitaker after the Russian airbase and flight sequence. That out of the way, Luddy's edit is an attempt to tighten up the narrative, make Kara seem less dippy, and tone down some of the odd humour choices. In all those respects I think he's succeeded with the edit. Does it go as far as I might have been tempted? No, but we can't fault him for that.

There were a couple of moments of humour I would have trimmed and instead of just altering the final shot of the title sequence, it would have been nice to replace the whole thing (it's clearly one of Binder's worst pieces of work) - but these wishes don't detract from the edit.

Recommended if you'd like a slightly different version of the film as a change of pace.

Back
Top Bottom