• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Last of the Mohicans: Hybrid Cut by Captain Khajiit

Thank ****!

What do I do about this AVI? I don't know what to do and would appreciate some advice. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my source file.

When I set AutoGK to original it really messed up the picture.

try another ripper...the only other one i use is nero but in mpeg4 thou,but i spose you could use vdub (which i dont know how).

Okay, I'll have a think. Should I take the AVI down or what? I'm unsure of what I should do in this situation.

I chose AutoGk because it's supposed to know what it's doing, and I don't really know of another freeware program. Is there no way one can input aspect ratio in it manually?

Does it not matter that 720x306 is not a multiple of 16? I :?

Thanks again, AvP.

IF you use virtualdub (freeware! :) ), here is what you need to do:

-get the pixel AR back to 1:1 (resize to 720x405)
-crop off your black bars. This will help reduce the filesize. (if its 2.35:1, it will be around 720x306. you can crop to 304 for your "16 compliancy" if you are worried about that)
-change your video and audio compression settings to whatever you want.
-SAVE AVI

Thanks, Throw. I'll have a look and see if I can fix this as soon as possible.

Then I think I'll get roaring drunk...

.. just when I thought the never-ending technical problems with this edit had come to a close! :oops:

EDIT: so wait, I have to null transform first, then resize, then crop then export?

Okay, I'm resizing this in virtualdubmod MPEG-2 and cropping, but I swear 720x306 doesn't look right. It takes off some picture at the top or bottom when I crop. I can see it.

I know the ratio is officially 2.35:1 but I've read that many films are stated to be 2.35:1, but are really something within a range close to it. Is it necessary for me to crop it to exactly 720x306?

Virtualdubmod MPEG-2 does insist that I have a multiple of 4 or the codec won't encode the video. It's a shame I can't use version 1.78 with the MPEG-2 plug-in as it does the crop perfectly if I input the value, but 1.78 always shows blurred video in the input and output windows, as if two frames are combined - like a deinterlacing issue (which the deinterlace filter doesn't full fix).

Maybe I can crop to 720x312 or something?

just crop the black bars off nothing from the image.

should look like this

wp00001-1.jpg

this is resized to 720x306 (from your DVD image)

wp00002.jpg

your avi

avi.png

Okay, but when I trim to 306 in vdubmd I'm defo cutting off a few pixels of picture. I can see them in the preview window.

How about 310? If I keep a few pixels of black bar it won't matter will it, seeing as I've already resized to 720x405? It wont change the aspect ratio like AutoGK did.

dunno how you taking some of the image off.....i used null transform cropped of the black bars the resized to 720 306.

Ah! might explain the diff

what im doin

1 null transform
2 resize 720x405
3 null tranform and crop 720x310 seems right - Y1 offset = 45 Y2 off set = 50

i didnt resize to 405.

This is the new AVI. How does it look? EDIT: it's 720x310

2vnqpmr.png

Well, now the lip sync is out! Terrific! Any idea what caused this?

It still doesn't look quite right to me. I'll try AvPs method, but I wish I knew what caused the lip sync to go out. It becomes progressively worse as the film plays.

I believe I might have found part of the problem. Up till now I had treated the director's cut as being immune from the problems of the theatrical in respect of aspect ratio; however, overscan was hiding the fact that the director's cut does not quite meet the right hand edge of the screen. It's very small imperfection, but it can be seen on the 20th Century Fox logo at the start, where there is a magenta line on the right.

MeGUI wants to crop two pixels from the right if I run the project through it, and that looks about right. I can now see that AutoGK has cropped this, as I can see that the AVI does meet the side of the screen.

So I shall have to recrop the director's cut by a tiny bit too, after, all, which means re-encoding in CCE. While I do this, I might as well take the opportunity to shrink this to DVD5 size, so a DVD can be released, as I don't want to re-encode this twice and lose quality. Is there a way of working out the bitrate, so that it fits on a DVD5? I assume a compression from DVD9 to DVD5 simply involves a lowering of the bitrate?

My video mpg is 5.25 GB. The AC3-5.1 is 376 MB. I suppose I need to shrink the video to just under 4GB. What sort of bitrate does a DVD5 tend to use? The edit is 117 min, so roughly two hours.

How about setting a VBR in CCE with
maximum 5000
average 4800
minimum 3000?

min 1000 max 8000

Thanks! Seems to tell me 4754 kbits/s

Ok just saw AvP's post.

minimum 1000
maximum 8000
average 4754?

Back
Top Bottom