• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last of the Mohicans: Hybrid Cut by Captain Khajiit

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tagline: More feathers in your war-bonnet!
original film name: The Last of the Mohicans
new film name : The Last of the Mohicans: Hybrid Cut
original film studio name : Morgan Creek, Twentieth Century-Fox
edit crew name : Captain Khajiit
Date Original Film Was Released : 1992
Date Edit Was Released on FE :
October 2009
Original Runtime : 112 min (theatrical) 117 min (director's cut)
New Runtime : 117 min
Cuts removed/added/extended : see below

Fanedit details : double-pass XVID AVI with AC3-5.1 48 kHz 484 kbps audio and 23.976 fps video 720x320 (borders cropped)

Intention for this fanedit: to combine footage from both the theatrical and director's cut to produce an enjoyable extended cut of The Last of the Mohicans. Although the best release of the theatrical version known to the editor was used, the material from the theatrical cut DVD has its problems and cannot quite match the quality of the excellent "Enhanced Widescreen" Director's Expanded Edition, which served as the basis for this fanedit. Nonetheless both versions used were anamorphic true NTSC, and the theatrical version material has been slightly recropped and "color corrected" to match the director's cut as far as was possible. In spite of my best efforts, the video quality is not 100% consistent throughout.

Hardware and software information :

* DVD Decrypter, DVD Fab, AnyDVD, CloneDVD
* PGCDemux
* Virtualdubmod MPEG-2 and assorted filters
* CCE
* Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD
* Auto Gordian Knot

Time needed for the edition: about eight weeks
persons involved: one; however, thanks must be given to a number of people: White43, for previewing the edit and for his support since I arrived; Throwgncpr, for his endless patience when dealing with my questions about cropping; killbillme (Jorge), for displying his customary technical wizardry in using After Effects to correct some nasty color glitches in one difficult scene from the theatrical DVD; and also to Boon23, Gaith and Tranzor for their ongoing help and support.

How intention was achieved: SPOILERS ahead!

* Retained the extended approach to Cameron's cabin.
* Retained the extended footage of Major Heyward's entry into Albany from the director's cut, and the slightly extended "tea scene" that followed.
* Restored the missing line in the director's cut dialogue at the raising of the County Levy using the theatrical version.
* Added both Hawkeye's "Clear it up any?" retort to the Major from the waterfall scene and the "I think one day you and I are gonna have a serious disagreement" line at the fort.
* Added all Cora's missing lines in the "breed apart" conversation with Hawkeye.
* In the parley scene, the lines added in the director's cut were retained, and the deleted line about one British oficer helping another was restored. The latter was an annoying deletion from the director's cut in my view, as the other officers are obviously looking to Munro for a comment that never comes, and to cut to Heyward's line, as the director's cut does, seems most unnatural to me.
* Retained the extended footage of the assault on the fort, Major Heyward's diversion, the extra lines between Magua and Montcalm, and the extra shots of redcoats and Huron fighting in the battle in the forest.
* Added Cora's missing lines at the waterfall and retained the tiny bit of extra footage of the war party.
* Added the Hawkeye's missing line in the boat chase, but retained the extra chase footage from the director's cut.
* Added the Clannad theme to the ascent of the mountain to the Huron village. Added some shots of Chingachgook to those of Hawkeye and Uncas, but removed the sunset shots as they could not readily be incorporated. They seemed to involve a slight discontinuity error in respect of the time of day, as the faneditor always had the impression that the entry into the village immediately followed the ascent; although, in a film as notorious for its changes in atmospheric conditions as this, they were admittedly not too serious.
* Retained the extra shots of Cora and Hawkeye walking backwards out of the Huron village.
* Added Major Heyward's second scream just before his death: it had been deleted in the director's cut.
* Added the shot of Chingachgook's war-club impaling Magua through the back.
* Added the original theatrical cut sounds made by Magua's knife as he kills Uncas, as I thought the "improved" director's cut ones were over the top.
* Added the footage of Hawkeye comforting Cora after Alice's death.
* Retained Chingachgook's long speech at the end.
* "Color corrected" some shots from the theatrical version as far as I was able, so they matched the warmer color palette of the director's cut. Many many thanks to Jorge for his work on one particularly difficult shot.
* The volume level of the director's cut DVD - annoyingly - varied a great deal, so an attempt has been made to keep the volume consistent throughout the film.
* A number of other minor changes and fixes.

ThrowgnCpr said:
nice! will we be getting a DVD version of this?

The honest answer at present, Throw, is that I do not know. I shall PM you about the possibility of a DVD release later.

In the meanwhile, do have a look at the AVI and tell me what you think. Since so much of your advice on cropping went into it, I hope you like it. :grin: I am aware from one of your pieces of cover art that we share a fondness for the theatrical version of this film. :)

well, 99.9% of the time I never watch an AVI release. I don't know if I will get to it, but I do love TLotM, and this one does have me very curious (Plus, I am anxious to watch a fanedit of yours ;) ) fingers crossed for a DVD, but I will let you know if I watch the avi.

720x320 isnt 2.35:1 it should be 720x306 :)

Untitled-2.png

AutoGK does the aspect ratio automatically. I didn't have any control over it.

Which official DVD is it?

It seems to look the same as the original to me in VLC, and I have been trying to check this. Doesn't it have to be a multiple of 16?

You are right though. It is is 2.25:1, but isn't this because the borders have been cropped? What do you suggest?

if you resized it (zoomed in slightly) then there is no real problem persay, its just not the same scope. However if it were stretched, then thats never good. I cant really tell from the images. They appear to be in the same proportions, just the scope is different.

theatrical release....the wrong AR must be caused by your editing software (settings).

Well, I was just using Womble. It is set to export at 720x480 for NTSC. I didn't change any other settings and this was not footage I cropped or zoomed.

I think something went wrong with AutoGK then. I'll try to compare the original with my exported mpg.

Is this the UK theatrical?

Any other suggestions, guys? :cry:

yes UK,yes a screen shot be good from the DVD.

Well the mgp of my exported edit and the original director's cut lok identical.

It's the AVI that looks different. Damn! I was trying to make sure this would not be a problem. I tried to use the original setting in AutoGK, but it really distorted it.

Maybe, I'll have to use another program to make the AVI then.

How do you make a screenshot like that? Is VLC okay?

VLC is ok...did you frameserve from womble or smart render?

If you were just using womble, I see no reason why the AR should be messed up. I would venture to guess that AutoGK was the culprit, BUT that said, just because the scope is different, that doesnt necessarily mean the image aspect ratio has changed. Like I said, it could have cropped a few pixels and zoomed in. I would double check your MPG (final edit) against the MPG (from the DVD) to see if there are inconsistencies.

Aspect Ratio gets confusing, and really has 3 parts to the definition for any file. First there is the pixel aspect ratio (e.g., anamorphic), the scope of the film (e.g., 2.35:1) and the actual aspect ratio of the images within (related to the pixel aspect ratio). Lets go through an example:

For simplicity sake, lets say the Pixel Aspect Ratio is 1:1 (no anamorphic business). You are dealing with a widescreen movie. Full 16:9 widescreen would be 720x405. Here the scope of your film was 2.35:1. Without the black bars, your video will be 720x306. If you crop some off the sides, and zoom in again so the width is 720 (aspect ratio locked) then the scope will change (i.e., you will have a value greater than 306). However, if you stretch the video, that changes the aspect ratio of the images within (not a good thing to do)

Smartrender.

I've got the shots. I'll see if I can work out how to add them to the post. They won't be side by side like yours though.

Thanks, guys.

EDIT: Okay, how can I add pictures. :grin:

How do I add pictures?

I can email these to one of you guys too, if I can have an e-mail address. The ratio looks the same to me, but what do I know?

avp said it. you have to host the image online somewhere. You can use a free service like imageshack, tinypic, or photobucket, and add the links with img tags in your post.

the DVD looks fine to me,just a bad rip.

Back
Top Bottom